Coronavirus

Discuss all the events of the day

Moderator: GH Moderators

LP Raider
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Master Bateman

Re: Coronavirus

Post by LP Raider »

bonehead wrote: April 1, 2020, 8:58 am it's crazy LP, she's one of the nicest people, not a bad bone in her body, just cannot be told what to do.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
I think people are still coming to grips with what is happening. In some instances will be the difference of whether you live or not. That is the starc reality.

I think some of the reporting has been poor which hasn't helped. The major problem has been that the population has been lead to the belief that this only effects old people. Which imo has caused more problems than it solved.
WorkChoice
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

bonehead wrote: April 1, 2020, 8:58 am it's crazy LP, she's one of the nicest people, not a bad bone in her body, just cannot be told what to do.

So many people in that boat. Talking to a mate of mine and he was complaining that the government should have shut everything down sooner. Now he's complaining that he's being told can't have poeple over for dinner. It's just not sinking in. A bit childish really.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

-PJ- wrote: March 27, 2020, 2:37 pm We now have a Corona issue at work.

A female contractor, who started last Monday 16/3 has had contact with her grandparents. The elderly couple are from Perth and got off the cruise ship in Sydney last Thursday. Pop has Coronavirus, they both drove to Newcastle to see their son, daughter-in-law and granddaughter. The young women is 23 and as I said she started at the Wire Mill just 11 days ago.

Here's the dissapointing part..

She didn't tell management about her grandfathers illness and turned up to work Friday of last week and also Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday of this week before telling her boss the situation. She was frogged marched off site and sent to a doctor for a Covid-19 test. Her actions have caused 9 others to be sent home to self isolate and have been told if they have any symptoms in the next 14 days to seek medical attention.

7 of these workers sent home due to no fault of their own are now without income for two weeks. The other 2, both permanents have sick leave..

All 9 sent home are isolated from their own loved ones I'm guessing. We are now waiting for a test result from the young contractor and if a positive test comes back our whole work force could be sent home..
Just an update on this..

She's returned a positive covid19 test. She won't be returning to work. The people she came into contact with with..for 4 days mind you will now have to be tested...
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

She won’t be returning to work, permanently?
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

yeh raiders wrote: April 1, 2020, 4:12 pm She won’t be returning to work, permanently?
I wish her a speedy recovery.

But..

Fact is..she came into contact with a person with Covid19 and came to work for 4 days without reporting..the company won't be inviting her back..

Stupid girl.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Across America gun shops remain open, they are an essential service.. :thumbsup

ABC news just now..
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

-PJ- wrote:

A female contractor, who started last Monday 16/3 has had contact with her grandparents. The elderly couple are from Perth and got off the cruise ship in Sydney last Thursday. Pop has Coronavirus, they both drove to Newcastle to see their son, daughter-in-law and granddaughter. The young women is 23 and as I said she started at the Wire Mill just 11 days ago.

She didn't tell management about her grandfathers illness and turned up to work Friday of last week and also Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday of this week before telling her boss the situation. She was frogged marched off site and sent to a doctor for a Covid-19 test. Her actions have caused 9 others to be sent home to self isolate and have been told if they have any symptoms in the next 14 days to seek medical attention.

7 of these workers sent home due to no fault of their own are now without income for two weeks. The other 2, both permanents have sick leave..

All 9 sent home are isolated from their own loved ones I'm guessing. We are now waiting for a test result from the young contractor and if a positive test comes back our whole work force could be sent home..
Just an update on this..

She's returned a positive covid19 test. She won't be returning to work. The people she came into contact with with..for 4 days mind you will now have to be tested...
And quarantined for 2 weeks regardless of the results. What an idiot
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Dr Zaius wrote: April 1, 2020, 6:26 pm
-PJ- wrote:

Just an update on this..

And quarantined for 2 weeks regardless of the results. What an idiot
The 9 people she sent home are 7days in..

If they are deemed fit they're due back next Wed.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Cool. I'm Day 14 today
Manbush
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Luke Turner

Post by Manbush »

Had a patient come in this afternoon who had just come from a government briefing, reckons Qlds curve is flattening well, asked about the rest of Australia and unfortunately the news wasn’t so positive. Fingers crossed Qld keeps going and Victoria and NSW improve their game.
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Dr Zaius wrote: April 1, 2020, 6:33 pm Cool. I'm Day 14 today Image
Damn mate how you feeling, hope you’re pulling up ok.
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

-PJ- wrote: April 1, 2020, 6:24 pm Across America gun shops remain open, they are an essential service.. :thumbsup

ABC news just now..
Did I read Victoria banned gun and ammo sales yesterday because of a rapid increase in sales.
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

-PJ- wrote: April 1, 2020, 5:46 pm
yeh raiders wrote: April 1, 2020, 4:12 pm She won’t be returning to work, permanently?

But..

Fact is..she came into contact with a person with Covid19 and came to work for 4 days without reporting..the company won't be inviting her back..

Stupid girl.
If anyone at work catches it she should be legally liable.
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley

Post by yeh raiders »

But..

Stupid girl.
Sounds fair to me! Cyabye
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Manbush wrote:
Yeah, just itching to get out now
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Manbush wrote: April 1, 2020, 6:41 pm

But..

Stupid girl.
If anyone at work catches it she should be legally liable.
She's been a very naughty girl.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Manbush wrote:Had a patient come in this afternoon who had just come from a government briefing, reckons Qlds curve is flattening well, asked about the rest of Australia and unfortunately the news wasn’t so positive. Fingers crossed Qld keeps going and Victoria and NSW improve their game.
The key is community acquired infections. Most of our cases have come in from overseas and a significant have had a known close contact. These aren't of great concern, we know where they got it. They are rigorously contact traced and the contacts put in quarantine.

Our reduction in numbers reflect the reduction in returned travellers.

The concern is the community acquired infections, where we can't figure out where they got it. There haven't been a lot of these in Queensland. Victoria has a few but NSW is a concern.

Bondi has had a cluster. Who'd have thought.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

The light blue is the problem Image
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

The question for me is, if Australia gets this thing under control quicker than the rest of the world, and our freedom is slowly returned, what then? Do we open our international borders but put in a protocol to test every single arrival by boat or plane until a cure is found?

We are so far ahead of much of the world it isn't funny, and we have the benefit of being surrounded by hundreds of miles of water, so we have a much greater option of isolating ourselves from the rest of the world.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

And yes, the unknown source is obviously the big issue that this isolation policy is hoping to address. It's even more tricky as so many people are asymptomatic.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

I can't see the borders being opened until a vaccine or at least a treatment tbh

The government isn't going to pay for isolation for every visitor in a normal situation, and people can't be trusted to do it themselves

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

One things for sure. I wouldn't be booking an overseas holiday for this year
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley

Post by yeh raiders »

Already cancelled mine, waiting for Qantas to process my refund
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Dr Zaius wrote:The light blue is the problem Image
Damn backpackers

Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

No known community transfer in NT just yet, I remain hopeful

Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Dr Zaius wrote: April 1, 2020, 6:55 pm
Manbush wrote:
Yeah, just itching to get out now
:thumbsup Great news DrZ.

Reading through the Worldometer stats and we now have more than 340 Australians who have had the virus and come safely out the other side. This is wonderful news but there are reports saying that RNA viruses readily mutate and this will make developing a vaccine more difficult.

The following was from The New Yorker by Lawrence Wright on 30 March 2020:
"Dr. Philip Dormitzer, the chief scientific officer for viral vaccines at Pfizer, told me in an e-mail, “A vaccine or drug against one coronavirus won’t necessarily work against another.”
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

It's the same thing with the flu and why the strains in the vaccine get updated. Also why we should be getting the shot every year.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

RedRaider wrote: April 1, 2020, 11:50 pm
The following was from The New Yorker by Lawrence Wright on 30 March 2020:
"Dr. Philip Dormitzer, the chief scientific officer for viral vaccines at Pfizer, told me in an e-mail, “A vaccine or drug against one coronavirus won’t necessarily work against another.”
That's a kinda Captain Obvious statement. Not really news.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

zim wrote:It's the same thing with the flu and why the strains in the vaccine get updated. Also why we should be getting the shot every year.
Waiting for our work program to be rolled out then I'll be straight in for mine

-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

The Panama government has taken extreme measures to cull Covid-19.

As of now..

Women only can go out on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays.
Men only can go out on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays.

On Sundays..no one can go out.

Gender distancing people.
Sterlk
David Furner

Post by Sterlk »

I like the deer on the streets of London, I wish we had that. The goats of Wales, too.

Kangaroos don't count - they're always hanging around in Canberra. I can see them out the window even when there isn't a pandemic.

If there was a bunch of them just hopping along down deserted streets as would-be car replacements, maybe that would be kind of interesting.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Is anyone a bit concerned that horse racing is still allowed to continue in NSW while they try to stop the spread of the virus? Thousands of people involved including trainers, jockeys, stewards and officials. Does nobody care because it's ostensibly a non-contact sport?

V'landys is a genius. I suspect racing NSW is going to come out of this in a very, very strong position.

Infection vs recovery rate in Australia now almost on-par. We are so ahead of most of the world it's not funny. Our mortality rate is almost the lowest in the world, indicating we have identified more cases of the virus per capita than any other significant country (as well as having a top quality health care system).

We and Germany have a 5% mortality rate (and dropping), while the likes of Spain, Italy, France and the USA are around 30-40% mortality. That just tells me those other countries have absolutely lost control of the infected population and they have no actual idea of how many people have the virus. That's why they are ****. Germany's biggest problem now will be controlling their borders with the rest of Europe.

I really do wonder how we manage the international transport thing if we get this under control while the rest of the world melts down.
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley

Post by yeh raiders »

Not at all concerned. They’ve been testing anyone suspected of coming into contact with a confirmed case, they’re temperature checking participants, racing to no crowds and the tax dollars generated are helping everyone else impacted.

Measures are in place to minimise contact.

As mentioned, the mortality rates here are comparatively very low.

As soon as 1 person tests positive, they’ll shut it down. Until then, let the boys play.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Exactly. Meanwhile the 1000 odd people involved in playing in the NRL are expected to survive with the rest of us, battling crowds in the supermarkets etc because the powers that be have advised the ARLC that there is a high risk of infection among the players and spreading the virus if the comp continued. I still fundamentally disagree. If the playing group, support staff and TV crews as a whole can be regularly tested and isolated in a controlled area, the chance of them getting infected is negligible. The cost of doing that is tiny compared to the lost revenue.

The players now realise the financial impacts of not playing and seem to be more than happy to spend a relatively short period of time away from family (most of whom they can't see anyway) to start the comp up again.

Australia is now consistently down to less than 300 new cases per day day (less than 5% increase) based on one of the lowest infection rates in the world (0.02% known infected population). We are also testing more people per capita than just about any other large country, except a handful that have 5-10 times our known infection rate. It's only places like Brunei, Bahrain and the UAE who are in the same ballpark as us in regards to having a half-decent handle on things.

On the other hand, I went out to get a car battery and petrol yesterday and there were a ton of people on the roads (admittedly I was one of them), but I could see the shopping mall carparks were full. People seem to be doing a reasonable job of social distancing in the workplace, but are dropping the ball when it comes to shopping - especially on the weekend.
Last edited by Seiffert82 on April 5, 2020, 8:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

One of the biggest risks of infection at the moment is the critical hospital staff, treating the infected patients. They are among the biggest cohorts of newly infected people.