Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Re: Coronavirus

Post by The Nickman »

Northern Raider wrote: April 29, 2021, 1:35 pm
The Nickman wrote: April 29, 2021, 1:21 pm
Northern Raider wrote: April 29, 2021, 1:13 pm
Botman wrote: April 29, 2021, 12:53 pm Got my second jab today
awaiting to see if i get knocked around by it.

Got tomorrow off work anyways so not going to be the end of the world if it does
Friend who had it said they had some bouts of fatigue for a few days after the first jab. Then went away. Did you have that?

I'm phase 2A so will be able to get mine in the next couple of weeks. I had my flu jab a week ago in prep.
You better be all jabbed up before my Buck's Weekend!
I plan on turning up coughing and spluttering everywhere.
You should meet us when our bus gets in... you won't be the only one.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

you're meant to have the bucks before the wedding you pelican.
Classic Nocko

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

bonehead wrote:you're meant to have the bucks before the wedding you pelican.
Classic Nocko

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk
That’s not how I do things.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

CSL producing 1 million AZ doses per week.

We're going to end up with a massive stockpile of this crap

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

-TW- wrote:CSL producing 1 million AZ doses per week.

We're going to end up with a massive stockpile of this crap

Enjoy your blood clots, *****!
Sterlk
David Furner

Post by Sterlk »

I wouldn't be worried about a massive AZ stockpile. If the government can't get Australians to take it, there's plenty of other counties that will jump at the chance to buy it from us or receive it as a humanitarian gift.

It's a risk decision at the end of the day. COVID effectively doesn't exist in Australia, so it's hard to get Australians to roll the dice with blood clots. We're in the fortunate position that the AZ vaccine is a bigger risk than dying from COVID is.

If you look at a country like India, on the other hand... tell me they wouldn't jump at the chance to get their hands on millions of AZ vaccines. It's an entirely different risk proposition; if there's thousands of people dying per day from COVID you'd sure as hell roll the dice on AstraZenica to prevent yourself from being cremated in the street.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

We should be looking at developing mRNA facilities. They'll have future purpose for other vaccines, such as influenza or future pandemics. And there is an evolving role in cancer treatment.

I'm not sure what's happening with the Novovax vaccine. I thought that the Phase 3 trial was done months ago, but they haven't published. They've said in a media release about 2 months ago that it has efficacy above 90%. It's a traditional style vaccine, which makes me think that CSL should be able to produce it.

I think that the AZ is done in this country. There have been two deaths linked to it. Two too many. There are safer and more effective vaccines, and we have the luxury of time. We should be sending what we can to India who clearly need it more than us.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Can someone shed some light for me? I’m confused by the whole international travel thing at the moment.

On the one hand, you have a guy who can fly to and from India for a wedding. Adam Hills has been back and forth between the UK and Aus. I’m seeing some social media influencers are posting about coming and going from the country.

On the other hand, there are people who have been saying they’re stuck overseas, are unable to get home and requesting Government help.

Why are some people seemingly able to hop planes with relative ease, while others are struggling? Are the strugglers waiting for free travel or something? I feel I’m missing something.
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:Can someone shed some light for me? I’m confused by the whole international travel thing at the moment.

On the one hand, you have a guy who can fly to and from India for a wedding. Adam Hills has been back and forth between the UK and Aus. I’m seeing some social media influencers are posting about coming and going from the country.

On the other hand, there are people who have been saying they’re stuck overseas, are unable to get home and requesting Government help.

Why are some people seemingly able to hop planes with relative ease, while others are struggling? Are the strugglers waiting for free travel or something? I feel I’m missing something.
I can see the confusion.

Very basically, Coronavirus was designed to completely ruin my life. Everything else just flows from that.

I hope that helps.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

T_R wrote:
Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:Can someone shed some light for me? I’m confused by the whole international travel thing at the moment.

I can see the confusion.

Very basically, Coronavirus was designed to completely ruin my life. Everything else just flows from that.

I hope that helps.

It does. Thanks for that. It seems to hate all major public events as well
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

T_R wrote:

I can see the confusion.

I hope that helps.

Don’t you ever get tired of whinging? It’s not all about you!! Remember when I wasn’t allowed to go to the pub for three months??
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

The government doesn't want to charter flights to get people home, which in my opinion is perfectly fair.

This has been going on for 16 months now, they had plenty of time to sort something out.

Adam Hills pays his own way, so can do what he pleases. Also it is deemed work for him, as he hosts TV in the UK and is here on tour atm.

FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

-TW- wrote:

The government doesn't want to charter flights to get people home, which in my opinion is perfectly fair.

This has been going on for 16 months now, they had plenty of time to sort something out.

Adam Hills pays his own way, so can do what he pleases. Also it is deemed work for him, as he hosts TV in the UK and is here on tour atm.

This is what I was wondering. Is it people paying their own way vs people waiting for a chartered flight?

If that’s the case, I think it’s fair also, and it doesn’t sound like they’re legit “Stuck overseas”

Nickman's love of NSW
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

My mate works in the middle east. Used to do 6 weeks stints. Now does 3-4 month stints because of quarantine of return. Has longer breaks in Aus before heading back. Company pays for travel and quarantine.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

The Nickman wrote:
T_R wrote:

I can see the confusion.

I hope that helps.

Don’t you ever get tired of whinging? It’s not all about you!! Remember when I wasn’t allowed to go to the pub for three months??
You were just collateral damage in the universe grand scheme to annoy me through bat viruses.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Sterlk
David Furner

Post by Sterlk »

Are there any actual restrictions of movement associated with the Sydney COVID thing at the moment?

As far as I saw earlier, anybody can go anywhere, but there's just a whole lot of ancillary rules to do with masks, maximum gathering sizes, and the like.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Not that i saw

It's just gathering sizes, masks etc

The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

T_R wrote:
The Nickman wrote:
T_R wrote:

I can see the confusion.

I hope that helps.

You were just collateral damage in the universe grand scheme to annoy me through bat viruses.

To be fair, I’ve been a solid part of the universe’s grand plan to annoy you for almost ten years now...
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

The Nickman wrote:
T_R wrote:
The Nickman wrote:
T_R wrote:

I can see the confusion.

I hope that helps.

To be fair, I’ve been a solid part of the universe’s grand plan to annoy you for almost ten years now...
Image Ineffably so

Manbush
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Luke Turner

Post by Manbush »

Dr Zaius wrote: May 2, 2021, 12:31 pm
I think that the AZ is done in this country. There have been two deaths linked to it. Two too many. There are safer and more effective vaccines, and we have the luxury of time. We should be sending what we can to India who clearly need it more than us.
Correlation does not equal causation, now even if they are due to the vaccine 2 in how many hundreds of thousands the risk is ridiculously minuscule. All medications have some type of risk hell every activity does, this one is being blown way out of proportion much to the satisfaction of the anti vax mob.

Yes there are safer ones but how long until they are available in the numbers we require to reach herd immunity and return to some semblance of normalcy? For the record I think there have been deaths linked to all the vaccines.

Im due my 2nd dose of AZ in about 6weeks and I’ll be rocking up with bells on.
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Manbush wrote:
Dr Zaius wrote: May 2, 2021, 12:31 pm
Correlation does not equal causation, now even if they are due to the vaccine 2 in how many hundreds of thousands the risk is ridiculously minuscule. All medications have some type of risk hell every activity does, this one is being blown way out of proportion much to the satisfaction of the anti vax mob.

Yes there are safer ones but how long until they are available in the numbers we require to reach herd immunity and return to some semblance of normalcy? For the record I think there have been deaths linked to all the vaccines.

Im due my 2nd dose of AZ in about 6weeks and I’ll be rocking up with bells on.
This isn't about correlation v causation. The link has been investigated and settled.

Current estimates are 1 in 100k to 200k. The risk from the mRNA vaccines is undefined, it's so miniscule.

It would be a different story if we were in the same situation as the US, Europe or God help us India. But we're not. We have time to secure better vaccines. We should be talking to Moderna, but we are not. We should be planning our own mRNA manufacturing facilities,but we are not. Like they have for much of this pandemic, the Federal Government are sitting on their hands.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Precisely Zaius. Telling it like it is.
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

So let’s take the worst estimate 1 in 100,000, essentially if every Australian got the AZ vaccine that would be about 250 deaths, if everyone on earth got it it would be roughly 80,000 deaths.

Covid has killed over 900 in Australia and we’re still constantly going in an out of lockdown, overseas restrictions etc, may sound heartless but 100% herd immunity for 250 deaths sounds minuscule and the benefits outweigh the risks.
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Coronavirus

Post by gangrenous »

But the risk of death is currently nowhere near that.

The key question is how many deaths between now and Pfizer or similar being available.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

There’s absolutely no chance in the world I’m taking the AZ vaccine. No chance in the whole wide world. They’re telling me it’s safe for me because I’m over 50. Not so long ago, the TGA was telling us it was safe for everyone. Oops... no sorry... if you’re you’re under 50 it can kill you. Who knows when the next oops is coming. The medical authorities will have covered their butts by requiring me to sign a disclaimer should I take the vaccine saying... “it’s not your fault if I die”. Their response if I die... “well, we told you it could kill you”. I know there are safer vaccines. I’ll wait for one of them thanks.

The Australian government has performed abysmally through this pandemic. At least we had State governments protecting the health of the population.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

I’m not getting a jab.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

At 1 in 100,000-200,000 chance I’m confident you do riskier things.

How long would you be willing to wait for the safer vaccine? Remembering longer wait means more shutdowns at any hint of the virus meaning more trouble for the economy, more businesses dying, increased rate of domestic violence etc.

If you’re concerned about the risks from AZ please feel for women who are more likely to get blood clots from the pill than we are from AZ, then there’s the risks of long flights etc.
Last edited by Manbush on May 8, 2021, 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Manbush wrote: May 8, 2021, 7:37 pm At 1 in 100,000-200,000 chance I’m confident you do riskier things.

How long would you be willing to wait for the safer vaccine? Remembering longer wait means more shutdowns at any hint of the virus meaning more trouble for the economy, more businesses dying, increased rate of domestic violence etc.
The government, nor you, should be trying to place responsibility on me for that. The Australian government is offering an unsafe vaccine and I’m not taking it. I take all sorts of vaccines. I’ve never refused one before. I know they’re not riskless. I’ve had a tetanus shot and a flu shot this year. But I’m not going to be one of your 250 dead, or spend the rest of my life as a vegetable due to a stroke or whatever. The responsibility is on the government to deliver a safe vaccine.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Absolutely people do riskier things.

Vaccines are given to healthy people. Therefore there is a higher level of safety required than giving a medication to treat someone who is unwell.

Everything is about risk v benefit. Currently in Australia, the risk of the vaccine is higher than the benefit. That changes if we end up like the rest of the world.

Most instances of the clotting have occurred on the first dose. The risk of you getting a clot on your second dose is very low.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Manbush wrote: If you’re concerned about the risks from AZ please feel for women who are more likely to get blood clots from the pill than we are from AZ, then there’s the risks of long flights etc.
They’re different clots with a lower chance of death. Not equivalent.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

gangrenous wrote:
Manbush wrote: If you’re concerned about the risks from AZ please feel for women who are more likely to get blood clots from the pill than we are from AZ, then there’s the risks of long flights etc.
They’re different clots with a lower chance of death. Not equivalent.
This
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Figures I’ve seen for deaths from blood clots relating to the pill is 1 in approx 333,000, so that level is acceptable?

The risk benefit isn’t just about dying. Hopefully we get the safer one soon so we can get back to normal but sorry I think people are being hysterical about such a minuscule risk factor for the chance to open Australia back up to normal.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I’m not in the slightest bit hysterical. I’m just pointing out a fact that I’m not taking the chance of dying offered with the AZ vaccine. And that I expect governments to put safe vaccines on the market.
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

As you acknowledged earlier no vaccine is without risk, no medicine is without risk, it’s safe for 99.9999% of the population, at what point do you consider it safe, 1 in 1,000,000, 1 in 10,000,000?
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

I'll take the vaccine. They can inject me with ditch water if it helps get the borders open.

But with next to zero community spread, I can understand that it's an entirely rational decision to choose not to be vaccinated.