good, I made it big enough

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Seiffert82 »

Can't wait to see Morrison and the Federal Government give themselves a massive pat on the back for how they have handled the pandemic, despite the horrendous confusion they have caused regarding the schools and defining what "essential services" are though this pandemic.

Meanwhile, the theory from AQIS (based on travel data) as to why we've been impacted far less than most other nations around the world, is that the summer bushfires both discouraged overseas tourists from coming to Australia and also minimised regional travel from locals along the eastern seaboard. That was all happening while this virus kicked off in China in late January. It certainly explains why almost 2/3 of our infections were overseas travellers and many others were from direct contact from overseas travellers. Such a small proportion of our cases were acquired through local infection.

So, our low infection rate has been the silver lining to a pretty awful cloud. Makes sense to me - it's not like our Government responded any faster or any better than any other developed country around the world.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Seiffert82 wrote:So, our low infection rate has been the silver lining to a pretty awful cloud. Makes sense to me - it's not like our Government responded any faster or any better than any other developed country around the world.
The US says hi.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Confusion has mostly come from multiple jurisdictions and levels of Government. Will always be the case under our system.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

gangrenous wrote: May 8, 2020, 7:59 am
Seiffert82 wrote:So, our low infection rate has been the silver lining to a pretty awful cloud. Makes sense to me - it's not like our Government responded any faster or any better than any other developed country around the world.
The US says hi.
OK, they have been next level ****, but don't confuse the outcome with the response.

How many times have we had a National Cabinet meeting, only for the respective state and federal governments to come out with entirely different messages about schools and what are considered essential services?

There are many parallels with the US experience with regards to the tension between jurisdictions. We are just lucky there weren't enough cases of the virus in our country for it to get out of control before the government got its **** together to respond.

My point is, in late February, the "economy first" and "enjoy your freedoms" language was very similar between Morrison, Trump and Johnson. The outcomes have been vastly different though.

Coming out of the bushfire disaster, I'll also admit that I was one of those people who enjoyed my freedom while it lasted.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

“You can still go to the football, you can still go to the cricket, you can still go and play with your friends down the street, you can go off to the concert and you can go out for a Chinese meal.”

Scott Morrison, 27 February.

To be fair, I was downplaying the impact of the virus too, but obviously didn't have access to the same level of information that the government had at the time. I was also arguing the toss about some horribly misleading information being spread about the estimated mortality rate of the virus.

Morrison was widely criticized by the states for showing no national leadership. He had to get dragged along by the likes of Daniel Andrews and Annastacia Palaszczuk.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

That Melbourne meat works now has 71 positive cases. This should serve as a warning to people who want to lift restrictions faster.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Toviii
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Rapana

Coronavirus

Post by Toviii »

The K league starts tonight in South Korea. Interesting to see how they model a modified competition - rules such as no handshakes, no spitting, individual water bottles, social distancing amongst staff on the sidelines

The main thing will be to see how long they can keep it running for I suppose. Don’t know how South Korea’s situation compares to Australia currently
'I've got 17 blokes in that dressing room that are hurting'
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

They seem to be at the tail end of it now

Very high peak early, only 250 deaths from over 10000 cases

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavir ... uth-korea/

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Seiffert82 wrote: May 8, 2020, 10:40 am “You can still go to the football, you can still go to the cricket, you can still go and play with your friends down the street, you can go off to the concert and you can go out for a Chinese meal.”

Scott Morrison, 27 February.

To be fair, I was downplaying the impact of the virus too, but obviously didn't have access to the same level of information that the government had at the time. I was also arguing the toss about some horribly misleading information being spread about the estimated mortality rate of the virus.

Morrison was widely criticized by the states for showing no national leadership. He had to get dragged along by the likes of Daniel Andrews and Annastacia Palaszczuk.
I looked at the Health.gov.au website and on 27 February there was a total of 23 cases in Australia. By March 5 this had increased to 54. By March 10 is was 108 and by April 10 it was 6203. As of May 8 it was 6914, meaning the infection curve had flattened out.

This is a one in one hundred year event in Australia. Not many nations of the world are experienced at dealing with a pandemic. No doubt some mistakes were made and lessons learned. I think the context of Scott Morrisons comments at the time (27/2) was inaccurate social media comments blaming local Chinese for the virus. Round 1 of the NRL in Canberra on 13 March drew a crowd of 10,610 people.

I think the National Cabinet of elected Governments listening to and acting on the advice of the Australian Health Protection Principal Committee (AHPPC) has done a very good job. Every State or Territory has had different experiences and so the freedom of local action within a framework has been a strength as I see it. There have been some stand out failings such as the Ruby Princess cruise ship and clusters which formed at the Hospitals in North West Tasmania, Newmarch House nursing home in western Sydney and the Cedar Meats meat works in Victoria. But anything involving humans will always have some mistakes. The Ruby Princess in particular has been responsible for around 10% of cases in Australia. I think it is fair to say that all Governments, medical staff and everyday Aussies have generally done their bit to get on top of Covid19 in Australia and particularly when comparing our performance with the likes of large scale tragedies of the USA, UK, Spain and Italy.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Russia is an interesting one right now. Their cumulative totals are rocketing up the charts at nearly 190k and on track for no2 behind the USA. Their testing rate is also through the roof, approaching 5m.
All this while total deaths is very low at around 1700.

These stats suggest they're putting every effort into identifying all possible cases. Don't want any undetected ones in the community. Of course government has a lot more control over the population there.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

RedRaider wrote: May 8, 2020, 9:41 pm I think it is fair to say that all Governments, medical staff and everyday Aussies have generally done their bit to get on top of Covid19 in Australia and particularly when comparing our performance with the likes of large scale tragedies of the USA, UK, Spain and Italy.
Yep, we have mostly all done our bit - give or take a large number of toilet paper and pasta sauce hoarding idiots...remember that?

I guess my point is, due to a certain set of circumstances (including the bushfires), we were well behind the curve of the likes of South Korea, Italy, Spain and France as you have pointed out. At the time I was really wondering why this was the case as Australia is a significant tourist and business destination for the Chinese. Now it is apparent that travel data indicates that the 2019-20 bushfire season from hell (which started in September) turned a lot of Chinese tourism away from us - and perhaps in the direction of Europe and the USA - I don't know.

Our low initial rate of infection compared to other countries gave our government time to observe what was going on in the rest of the world, get their act together and eventually respond. In this early stages our response was clumsy and confusing - hence the Ruby Princess situation. Similarly to the US, mixed messages were coming from the federal and state governments. To a degree this has continued throughout the pandemic.

I'm just saying, it's as much good luck as it has been good management that we are now well ahead of the curve compared to most of the world. ScoMo will pat himself on the back for the great job he has done, but the reality is he was AWOL for the bushfires (in Hawaii) and his leadership during this pandemic has been slow, confusing and inconsistent with the states.

Much like the quirk of good fortune that bailed us out of the worst of the GFC through the export of large amounts of iron ore to China - the bushfires may have saved us from the worst of this pandemic. Hopefully the lessons that come out of the bushfire enquiry won't be brushed aside and forgotten as a result of the situation we are in now.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Northern Raider wrote:Russia is an interesting one right now. Their cumulative totals are rocketing up the charts at nearly 190k and on track for no2 behind the USA. Their testing rate is also through the roof, approaching 5m.

These stats suggest they're putting every effort into identifying all possible cases. Don't want any undetected ones in the community. Of course government has a lot more control over the population there.
One of my workmates works remotely in Moscow. Their isolation laws are really strict. Her and her 2 children haven't been outside for 7 weeks, at all. She said only essential workers are allowed out, shoppers and people walking their dog.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Seiffert82 wrote: May 9, 2020, 10:46 am
RedRaider wrote: May 8, 2020, 9:41 pm I think it is fair to say that all Governments, medical staff and everyday Aussies have generally done their bit to get on top of Covid19 in Australia and particularly when comparing our performance with the likes of large scale tragedies of the USA, UK, Spain and Italy.
Yep, we have mostly all done our bit - give or take a large number of toilet paper and pasta sauce hoarding idiots...remember that?

I guess my point is, due to a certain set of circumstances (including the bushfires), we were well behind the curve of the likes of South Korea, Italy, Spain and France as you have pointed out. At the time I was really wondering why this was the case as Australia is a significant tourist and business destination for the Chinese. Now it is apparent that travel data indicates that the 2019-20 bushfire season from hell (which started in September) turned a lot of Chinese tourism away from us - and perhaps in the direction of Europe and the USA - I don't know.

Our low initial rate of infection compared to other countries gave our government time to observe what was going on in the rest of the world, get their act together and eventually respond. In this early stages our response was clumsy and confusing - hence the Ruby Princess situation. Similarly to the US, mixed messages were coming from the federal and state governments. To a degree this has continued throughout the pandemic.

I'm just saying, it's as much good luck as it has been good management that we are now well ahead of the curve compared to most of the world. ScoMo will pat himself on the back for the great job he has done, but the reality is he was AWOL for the bushfires (in Hawaii) and his leadership during this pandemic has been slow, confusing and inconsistent with the states.

Much like the quirk of good fortune that bailed us out of the worst of the GFC through the export of large amounts of iron ore to China - the bushfires may have saved us from the worst of this pandemic. Hopefully the lessons that come out of the bushfire enquiry won't be brushed aside and forgotten as a result of the situation we are in now.
Thats a really interesting perspective that I hadn't considered.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

I would just like to halt everyone for a moment to advise all of you that -PJ- is on the lookout for a vechile if you could all spread the word to everybody you know. Thanks in advance
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Sid wrote:I would just like to halt everyone for a moment to advise all of you that -PJ- is on the lookout for a vechile if you could all spread the word to everybody you know. Thanks in advance
No worries, I'll call my 50 mates and let th know

-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Sid wrote: May 9, 2020, 3:49 pm I would just like to halt everyone for a moment to advise all of you that -PJ- is on the lookout for a vechile if you could all spread the word to everybody you know. Thanks in advance
Spot on Sid..

With everybody I know looking for a car for me to buy I can concentrate on doing nothing..

Have you seen any cars ?
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

About due for Question's weekly drunken rant aren't we?
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Around 7.30

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

He's very late. I'm getting worried.
Manbush
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Luke Turner

Post by Manbush »

Northern Raider wrote: May 9, 2020, 10:21 am Russia is an interesting one right now. Their cumulative totals are rocketing up the charts at nearly 190k and on track for no2 behind the USA. Their testing rate is also through the roof, approaching 5m.

They also have a lot more control on the media and what propaganda is spread , I’ll be skeptical of any info that comes out from there.
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

-PJ- wrote:
Sid wrote: May 9, 2020, 3:49 pm I would just like to halt everyone for a moment to advise all of you that -PJ- is on the lookout for a vechile if you could all spread the word to everybody you know. Thanks in advance
Spot on Sid..

With everybody I know looking for a car for me to buy I can concentrate on doing nothing..

Have you seen any cars ?
I'd sell you my Nissan rePulsar "Simona", but it's too much of a chick magnet for me to let go.

Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Manbush wrote: May 10, 2020, 9:19 am
Northern Raider wrote: May 9, 2020, 10:21 am Russia is an interesting one right now. Their cumulative totals are rocketing up the charts at nearly 190k and on track for no2 behind the USA. Their testing rate is also through the roof, approaching 5m.

They also have a lot more control on the media and what propaganda is spread , I’ll be skeptical of any info that comes out from there.
I haven't read any Russian media so can't comment on the propaganda side. I'm just looking at the data.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

US style dumb **** "let us out" protest in Victoria

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

-TW- wrote: May 10, 2020, 12:36 pm US style dumb **** "let us out" protest in Victoria

Similar protest in Sydney yesterday. Only about 40 people so our quantity of entitled idiots is far lower than USA.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

-TW- wrote: May 10, 2020, 12:36 pm US style dumb **** "let us out" protest in Victoria

Seems it is being spurred on by News Corporation press. More irresponsible "journalism".
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

I am so over the #covidiots on the internet. Every single news piece I click on seems to have at least one whack job in the comments section

Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Northern Raider wrote: May 10, 2020, 10:55 am

I haven't read any Russian media so can't comment on the propaganda side. I'm just looking at the data.
Who would be controlling the data released?
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Some of the info coming from certain countries is definitely sus, for different reasons. I haven't been watching Russia, but I don't think that China have been completely honest. Countries like Indonesia obviously don't have testing capacity, but aren't declaring all their dead either. Their overall mortality statistics for the past couple of months have sky-rocketed, yet they've only had 900 odd covid deaths.

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Manbush wrote: May 10, 2020, 2:12 pm

Not the media.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Dr Zaius wrote: May 10, 2020, 3:10 pm Some of the info coming from certain countries is definitely sus, for different reasons. I haven't been watching Russia, but I don't think that China have been completely honest. Countries like Indonesia obviously don't have testing capacity, but aren't declaring all their dead either. Their overall mortality statistics for the past couple of months have sky-rocketed, yet they've only had 900 odd covid deaths.

No reason to doubt the numbers coming from Russia in regards to case numbers and testing. The mortality rate looks disproportionately low however. Maybe fudging numbers there. Another explanation is with such a high testing rate they're uncovering a large number of very mild cases that may otherwise be undetected.

Indonesia, I suspect the virus is running rampant and they're simply not bothering to manage it. Thrown into the too hard basket.
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Northern Raider wrote: May 10, 2020, 4:28 pm

Not the media.
Not sure if you’re being serious mate, in case you were I was referring to the government.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Manbush wrote: May 10, 2020, 5:10 pm
Northern Raider wrote: May 10, 2020, 4:28 pm

Not the media.
Not sure if you’re being serious mate, in case you were I was referring to the government.
You said they control the media so don't believe the figures. It has nothing to do with the media.
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

It’s Russia there’s always reason to doubt what they say on matters like these, consider the following, they have extensive business and tourism with hotspots, their hospital system is run down, Putin needs to look strong to get constitutional changes to extend his time in power and they’ve got a long history of misinformation. I’d trust their reports as much as I trust China’s and North Korea’s.
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Northern Raider wrote: May 10, 2020, 5:17 pm You said they control the media so don't believe the figures. It has nothing to do with the media.
They control the information that gets put out including the media, do you really think the information they share is from a neutral source?

Ignore I said the media, that was just to highlight the extent of the misinformation the government shares and how the media can’t even be trusted, you are trusting the Russian government to be honest.