Discuss all the events of the day

Moderator: GH Moderators

zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Re: Coronavirus

Post by zim »

I was holding off installing it till some developers had a look. They've done that. I've installed it.

The risks involved in this are less than you are already taking with your regular browsing habits, and the benefits are far more important.
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

That happy clapper Morrison can pay me 5k and ill think about it other than that it can he get ****, and if i hear this were all in this together **** one more time itll be 10k
This place is woke.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

No ones paying you ****, seeing you can't even pay your workers without bitching about it

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

I downloaded the app, installed it and have it open and have done since it was available.
Thats where im at with life... but i do understand the concerns about an app like this, and i can see why some people would view the way they do
I dont share their views but i can see their side of it. It's a lot of trust in government and if you're deeply distrustful of government or you're a privacy/civil liberties advocate, i can see how you'd have some concerns about it

For me, the government can spy on me all they like, Apple will give them any information they need that they cant get. But it's gonna a tough old slog for the poor **** going through my activity and trading benial exchanges with my wife about whats for dinner, who's picking up who, mildly entertaining memes, **** canning close friends and family and arguing over which of the children aggrivates us most.
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Ah **** them plenty on the steps of centrelink.
This place is woke.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Botman wrote:I downloaded the app, installed it and have it open and have done since it was available.
Thats where im at with life... but i do understand the concerns about an app like this, and i can see why some people would view the way they do
I dont share their views but i can see their side of it. It's a lot of trust in government and if you're deeply distrustful of government or you're a privacy/civil liberties advocate, i can see how you'd have some concerns about it

For me, the government can spy on me all they like, Apple will give them any information they need that they cant get. But it's gonna a tough old slog for the poor **** going through my activity and trading benial exchanges with my wife about whats for dinner, who's picking up who, mildly entertaining memes, **** canning close friends and family and arguing over which of the children aggrivates us most.
Just wait until they find our arguments...

Poor guy
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

gangrenous wrote: April 28, 2020, 9:38 pm Just wait until they find our arguments...

Poor guy
:roflmao :roflmao
Sterlk
David Furner

Post by Sterlk »

I'm curious Q - what is this business of yours and how is it doing? What happens if the revenue stops coming in?

You wouldn't betray your ideals and apply for help from the government, would you? You'd rather freeze to death, penniless and homeless in an alley, I assume?
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:Is anyone else wondering how people who have a secret 2nd side family are coping through this? Without doubt there is a significant percentage of people out there in this situation. Makes for some pretty awkward conversations.
No wonder Fui won't download the app. Doesn't want evidence of his 2nd family being leaked!

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

You’re onto me Sid! It’s hard enough as it is to find reasons to pretend to be angry enough to warrant going walkabout for a few days at a time
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:You’re onto me Sid! It’s hard enough as it is to find reasons to pretend to be angry enough to warrant going walkabout for a few days at a time
There's only so many times you can duck out for a pack of ciggies and not come back for a few days.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Interesting interview on ABC News Radio today with UNSW Professor Marylouise McLaws discussing Coronavirus in the USA. She said that the strain of the virus in New York state was more virulent than the strain in Washington state and this was a major reason for the differences in health outcomes. She said the virus has mutated and this creates an issue for developing a vaccine.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

RedRaider wrote: April 30, 2020, 11:26 am Interesting interview on ABC News Radio today with UNSW Professor Marylouise McLaws discussing Coronavirus in the USA. She said that the strain of the virus in New York state was more virulent than the strain in Washington state and this was a major reason for the differences in health outcomes. She said the virus has mutated and this creates an issue for developing a vaccine.
Interesting. Did she suggest there was evidence of different strains floating about?

I would have thought a major difference is the fact the population of New York State is dominated by NYC, which is one of the most densely populated cities in the world and an international business and tourist hub. NYC has over 3 times the population density of Seattle, and 20 times that of Sydney. Any disease would spread like wildfire in that place.

NYC would have been smashed by people spreading the virus before they had any clue what was coming or what the infection rate was.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

There's always different strains of a virus.

Vaccines don't fight every single strain, it's impossible. they build a baseline response which means your body knows what it's fighting against.

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

S82, she was clear that the strain in New York state was more virulent than the strain in Washington state. She also made the point that different strains made it more difficult to create a vaccine.

I have no medical qualification. I can say though that my online study of viruses such as SARS, MERS and now SARS2 or Covid-19 is that there has not been a vaccine created for any of them. They seem to disappear as they mutate or people develop a degree of immunity.

There have been some comments I have heard this week that Spanish flu came in 2 waves and the second wave was more deadly than the first. I have no evidence to back my next comment, but it seems possible that as viruses mutate they may become less virulent to humans or maybe more virulent as may have happened with Spanish flu. I repeat this is my speculation, but if a virus can mutate to less virulent then surely a mutation to a more virulent strain is also a possibility. This would be a very solid reason for not easing restrictions too fast imo.

Congratulations to those who live in the ACT which as of today has zero active cases.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

-TW- wrote: April 30, 2020, 3:29 pm There's always different strains of a virus.

Vaccines don't fight every single strain, it's impossible. they build a baseline response which means your body knows what it's fighting against.
Yeah, that's my understanding too. All viruses will continually evolved or "mutate". Flu vaccine is continually modified and even then doesn't prevent it. Only reduces the chance of contraction.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

There are three or four strains getting around, with slightly different virulence. Coronaviruses are RNA viruses. RNA viruses mutate more than DNA viruses. As a virus mutates it generally becomes less virulent. One theory is that SARS mutated out of relevance. I heard this morning that this virus doesn't mutate as fast, has some sort of error correction system.

gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Seiffert82 wrote:
RedRaider wrote: April 30, 2020, 11:26 am Interesting interview on ABC News Radio today with UNSW Professor Marylouise McLaws discussing Coronavirus in the USA. She said that the strain of the virus in New York state was more virulent than the strain in Washington state and this was a major reason for the differences in health outcomes. She said the virus has mutated and this creates an issue for developing a vaccine.
Interesting. Did she suggest there was evidence of different strains floating about?

I would have thought a major difference is the fact the population of New York State is dominated by NYC, which is one of the most densely populated cities in the world and an international business and tourist hub. NYC has over 3 times the population density of Seattle, and 20 times that of Sydney. Any disease would spread like wildfire in that place.

NYC would have been smashed by people spreading the virus before they had any clue what was coming or what the infection rate was.
I could be completely wrong but it sounds like a bit of an excuse. There are other factors in NY.

Dense population in a small space that works hard and long hours and as a result most people drag themselves to work when they probably shouldn't. There is just an expectation that you take a couple of Tylenol and get back to work.

Millions catching public transport and millions on the streets. A govt dismissing the issue until thousands were infected.

A tourist mecca with thousands of o/s visitors in and out of the city each day. Feb/March is still cold. The hospital/medical facilities (like many places) are not prepared for such a massive surge.

Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Dr Zaius wrote: April 30, 2020, 7:27 pm There are three or four strains getting around, with slightly different virulence. Coronaviruses are RNA viruses. RNA viruses mutate more than DNA viruses. As a virus mutates it generally becomes less virulent. One theory is that SARS mutated out of relevance. I heard this morning that this virus doesn't mutate as fast, has some sort of error correction system.

Hmmm, thanks Doc. That's interesting info.

This thing is certainly stretching the researchers. Such a challenging thing to manage.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

gergreg wrote: April 30, 2020, 8:39 pm
Seiffert82 wrote:

I could be completely wrong but it sounds like a bit of an excuse. There are other factors in NY.

Dense population in a small space that works hard and long hours and as a result most people drag themselves to work when they probably shouldn't. There is just an expectation that you take a couple of Tylenol and get back to work.

Millions catching public transport and millions on the streets. A govt dismissing the issue until thousands were infected.

A tourist mecca with thousands of o/s visitors in and out of the city each day. Feb/March is still cold. The hospital/medical facilities (like many places) are not prepared for such a massive surge.

Yeah, having been there, I can definitely see how any sort of bug could spread like the clappers - especially one this contagious. The population of that place is crazy. Especially Manhattan with all those tourists.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Seiffert82 wrote: April 30, 2020, 8:52 pm
Seiffert82 wrote:

Yeah, having been there, I can definitely see how any sort of bug could spread like the clappers - especially one this contagious. The population of that place is crazy. Especially Manhattan with all those tourists.
And compare that to Washington State... I've been to Seattle and there's a lot of wide open spaces, and not many on the streets, especially in winter! Plus the place has a whole pile of wilderness.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

greeneyed wrote:
Seiffert82 wrote: April 30, 2020, 8:52 pm
Seiffert82 wrote:

And compare that to Washington State... I've been to Seattle and there's a lot of wide open spaces, and not many on the streets, especially in winter! Plus the place has a whole pile of wilderness.
There really is no off peak tourist season. No matter where you go there is people. Everybody says 'oh NY there is so many things to do' but the caveat is a million other people are wanting to do the same thing.

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Active cases in Australia now down into triple figures at 947. In my particular region were are now at 1 active case.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Northern Raider wrote:Active cases in Australia now down into triple figures at 947. In my particular region were are now at 1 active case.
I just wish they could show where the active cases are to allow some local decisions to be made, my area no reported cases for over 3 weeks so why can't we accelerate return to work or school for local residents?

Edrick The Entertainer
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

bonehead wrote: May 1, 2020, 11:12 am
Northern Raider wrote:Active cases in Australia now down into triple figures at 947. In my particular region were are now at 1 active case.
I just wish they could show where the active cases are to allow some local decisions to be made, my area no reported cases for over 3 weeks so why can't we accelerate return to work or school for local residents?

Yeah, Australia is a very big place and we're starting to see a lot more COVID free regions. Decisions on schools are in the hands of respective State departments but we're still seeing blanket rules being applied e.g. Mid North Coast under the same lockdown as inner Sydney when there's only a handful of current cases compared to hundreds in the city. Needs more flexibility in relaxation of restriction for those areas of very low risk.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

For anyone interested in more about the contact tracing tech here's a discussion from 2 computer science PhDs. One is a security researcher.
Note it's not specific to the australian app.

RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Dr Zaius wrote: April 30, 2020, 7:27 pm There are three or four strains getting around, with slightly different virulence. Coronaviruses are RNA viruses. RNA viruses mutate more than DNA viruses. As a virus mutates it generally becomes less virulent. One theory is that SARS mutated out of relevance. I heard this morning that this virus doesn't mutate as fast, has some sort of error correction system.

Wow, a virus with an error correction system. Mother nature is full of surprises. Thanks for confirming there are 3 or 4 strains of this particular corona virus. From an immediate public
Health point of view I hope it mutates out of relevance quickly and gets around the error correction system. The world will be a better place when it is no longer a threat.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

RedRaider wrote: May 1, 2020, 6:56 pm

Wow, a virus with an error correction system. Mother nature is full of surprises. Thanks for confirming there are 3 or 4 strains of this particular corona virus. From an immediate public
Health point of view I hope it mutates out of relevance quickly and gets around the error correction system. The world will be a better place when it is no longer a threat.
Be good to know how this error correction system works. Could implement it in The Bunker.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Northern Raider wrote: May 1, 2020, 9:01 pm
RedRaider wrote: May 1, 2020, 6:56 pm

Be good to know how this error correction system works. Could implement it in The Bunker.
:lol: That will get rid of the 'We Wuz Robbed' line footy fans love to roll out. It'll never happen.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

"CoVs have acquired nsp14, a bifunctional enzyme able to methylate the viral RNA cap [methyltransferase (MTase)] and excise erroneous mutagenic nucleotides inserted by nsp12". Maybe pass that onto Bernard Sutton, I'm sure that he will make use of it.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Dr Zaius wrote: May 2, 2020, 3:09 pm "CoVs have acquired nsp14, a bifunctional enzyme able to methylate the viral RNA cap [methyltransferase (MTase)] and excise erroneous mutagenic nucleotides inserted by nsp12". Maybe pass that onto Bernard Sutton, I'm sure that he will make use of it.
Couldn't hurt
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Northern Raider wrote:
Dr Zaius wrote: May 2, 2020, 3:09 pm "CoVs have acquired nsp14, a bifunctional enzyme able to methylate the viral RNA cap [methyltransferase (MTase)] and excise erroneous mutagenic nucleotides inserted by nsp12". Maybe pass that onto Bernard Sutton, I'm sure that he will make use of it.
Couldn't hurt
Where did SARS-cov-2 acquire this nsp14, and how much did it cost?

Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Numbers .. stats.. graphs. Vaccines..Its all semantics. Where it come from and nail the ****. The rest is pedestrian nerd talk.
This place is woke.
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Get onto it morrisson you **** ****.
This place is woke.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

A bit late this week Q.