The Politics Thread 2019

Discuss all the events of the day

Moderator: GH Moderators

T_R
Don Furner

Re: The Politics Thread 2019

Post by T_R »

You won't make it till the coffee break

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Haha me and you both, pal.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

You need to bone up on your Marx. The revolution will simply be a historical cycling between the proletariat and the industrial middle classes. I'll simply close the gates to the estate and perhaps ease up on birching the scullery maids for a bit.

Sent from my SM-G975F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

I honestly think you underestimate my ability to blend into the unwashed masses.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

The Rickman wrote:I honestly think you underestimate my ability to blend into the unwashed masses.
🤣

Sterlk
David Furner

Post by Sterlk »

LG OLEDs are going for $1800? Damn... if I didn't already have one I'd be all over that.

... and now to the reason I came here:

How about those dodgy apartment blocks in NSW, eh? A lot of red tape is there for a reason.

I don't understand the obsession with putting the free market up on a pedestal and leaving it to solve all the world's problems. Left to its own devices, the free market will bend you over and get rather violent, until you're curled up into a ball on the floor sobbing. Just ask all those bank and insurance customers.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Sterlk wrote:LG OLEDs are going for $1800? Damn... if I didn't already have one I'd be all over that.

... and now to the reason I came here:

How about those dodgy apartment blocks in NSW, eh? A lot of red tape is there for a reason.
It's clearly not working

Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

T_R wrote: June 20, 2019, 10:11 am
Brewdle wrote: June 19, 2019, 3:44 pm
-PJ- wrote:
T_R wrote: June 19, 2019, 2:31 pm
-TW- wrote: June 8, 2019, 1:53 pm That bloke is a Muppet

The economy isn't growing cause cost of living is growing and wages aren't, so people can't afford to go and buy a 55 inch TV like they could 5 years ago

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Do people still buy 55 inch TVs?
Hey..

My tv is only 55 inch..but I didn't buy it. It was a hand me down when my bro bought a monster..
I bought one for my gaming room a couple weeks ago from Bing Lee, $600 and used Afterpay so $150 a fortnight Image

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
Well, there you go - I'm wrong. That may well be the first time ever in the Politics thread, now I think about it.
I got a $1200 unit very recently, its a very good quality TV but it's only 48in... my wife was VERY anti big screen and forbid me to go any bigger. She said she liked things smaller, which now in retrospect feels depressingly emasculating
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

The Politics Thread 2019

Post by gangrenous »

T_R wrote:
Sterlk wrote: How about those dodgy apartment blocks in NSW, eh? A lot of red tape is there for a reason.
It's clearly not working
I believe Sterlk is objecting to the absence of red tape.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Transport Minister Fitzharris is quitting her ACT Government job, but I had to laugh at a post on ABC website.

“Maybe she couldn’t get to work on the new Bus network”
Sterlk
David Furner

Post by Sterlk »

gangrenous wrote: June 20, 2019, 8:27 pm
T_R wrote:
Sterlk wrote: How about those dodgy apartment blocks in NSW, eh? A lot of red tape is there for a reason.
It's clearly not working
Yeah. Not that I'm an expert on NSW-specific stuff, but from what I saw governments in NSW have been doing the old "hey look at us, we're improving industry and the economy be removing 'unnecessary' restrictions" song and dance for years.

If a company is throwing up a $100m+ megastructure in a prime location that's going to be a fixture of a city likely for the remainder of our lifetimes, it just might be a good idea to require that the people involved are qualified, and have somebody independent check it out during construction to make sure important corners aren't being cut in the name of a quick buck.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Sterlk wrote:
gangrenous wrote: June 20, 2019, 8:27 pm
T_R wrote:
It's clearly not working
Yeah. Not that I'm an expert on NSW-specific stuff, but from what I saw governments in NSW have been doing the old "hey look at us, we're improving industry and the economy be removing 'unnecessary' restrictions" song and dance for years.

If a company is throwing up a $100m+ megastructure in a prime location that's going to be a fixture of a city likely for the remainder of our lifetimes, it just might be a good idea to require that the people involved are qualified, and have somebody independent check it out during construction to make sure important corners aren't being cut in the name of a quick buck.
Are you suggesting that building certifiers are not qualified or independent? In my experience they are both, and can be an absolute frickin' pain about it.

Sterlk
David Furner

Post by Sterlk »

I'm talking about stuff like this:
(I know, news.com.au, but still...)

A government insider has blamed dodgy tradesmen and declining standards for buildings “falling down around (people’s) ears” in NSW.

The comments come after residents were kicked out of their homes when cracks were discovered in two Sydney residential high-rises, Mascot Towers and Opal Tower.

The cause of the problems at Mascot Towers is still being investigated.

A NSW Government source told news.com.au the state’s construction industry was rife with tradesmen and builders who entered the workforce with inadequate training.

The source said a shift from local council building inspections to “in-house” inspections carried out by construction companies had eroded quality control.

He said the government “never” carried out inspections on worksites, at towers or homes.

The government source told news.com.au he was “not surprised” when Sydney’s residential Opal Tower began cracking, leading to the forced evacuation of residents on Christmas Eve last year.

The lack of funding to government departments that regulated tradesmen had led to the overall degradation of construction across the state, according to the source, who did not want to be named.

Builders and tradesmen were increasingly letting their licences lapse, some for periods of up to five years.

The government — pushed to cut red tape on anything that could hold up construction projects and pushed to meet consumer demand — had failed to detect and penalise unlicensed operators, he said.

The government has no protections in place to protect consumers from tradesmen with a “history of poor work”.

“These people are often working unsupervised,” the source told news.com.au. “Then, the people who are supposed to come out and check the walls, the slab — that could be that person’s cousin.”

The source described an established system of “sign-offs” on elements of a build that were not even seen by the foreman of certified tradesman, saying licensed overseers were often not on site.

He said unlicensed workers were often left on a site for days on end.

“We’re supposed to be so advanced as a society, but everything is just to cut corners,” he said.
Manbush
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Luke Turner

Post by Manbush »

So the government has announce they want to amend the marriage act again, obviously this time not with the public’s input.
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Manbush wrote: July 3, 2019, 10:41 am So the government has announce they want to amend the marriage act again, obviously this time not with the public’s input.
Go on, Manbush… locked in for this!
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Morrison’s bringing it back despite it being rejected in 2017.
https://parlinfo.aph.gov.au/parlInfo/se ... d%22;rec=0

I’m guessing it’s part of their push for religious freedom laws despite the fact their own review found there was no threat to religious freedom.

On top of that their religious discrimination bill looks a way to allow behavior like Folaus which Morrison praised at the time.
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
beetlejuice
David Furner
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by beetlejuice »

Now that im not gagged by my employment, im back and able to make political comment.

the Government will be doing quite a bit of this in the current parliament. Due to the nature of a 1 person majority, they will go back over all the topics and bills they struggled to get passed in the last parliament and will be happy to try their luck with a larger majority as well as a less hostile Senate.

Im hearing that they are looking at watering down laws that protect workers from unfair dismissal, but i have yet to see something more concrete then a whole bunch of facebook memes.
Love the Raiders, Hate The NRL.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

BEETLEJUICE!

I’ve missed you man! Motorsport thread hasn’t been the same without you

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

This article validates what you’re saying Beetle

https://www.news.com.au/finance/work/at ... 42748a0934

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Everyone knows to address stagnant wage growth you start by making more space at the bottom of the pay scale.
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Cardinal Pells appeal has failed. Wonder who will be the first right winger to come out and say how fine a man he is.
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Stupid question

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Manbush wrote:Stupid question

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
🤣

beetlejuice
David Furner
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by beetlejuice »

the more mainstream (and i use that term VERY loosely) supporters of Pell have been VERY quiet. Nothing from Howard or Abbott as far as ive seen.
Love the Raiders, Hate The NRL.
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by reptar »

Anyone watching the **** show of Trump at the moment? Self destruct in 3... 2...
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Yeah it’s entertaining but the guy is teflon, it’s fun to watch but despite support for his impeachment growing rapidly even amongst republicans I doubt anything will stick. The current Republican Party have sold their souls and abandoned any pretense of caring about the constitution for the sake of power, Nixon wouldn’t have even been looked at with this mob.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Donald Trump heavily criticised, with demands for impeachment, after phone call demanding Georgia election official should "find" votes so as to overturn election result: https://www.news.com.au/world/north-ame ... 4f06f07f80

Incredible...
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

16 days till Trump is physically removed from office..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Might end up in jail before then

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Enjoyed reading back through this thread when I read this from T_R.

“Are you suggesting that multi story apartment building certifiers are not qualified or independent? In my experience they are both, and can be an absolute frickin' pain about it.”

T_R needs to learn how to give a wink wink nudge nudge to the certifier or property develop and build for the likes of Geocon or Bulum.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

I stand by it. It's just that some of them are outright corrupt, too.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

T_R wrote:I stand by it. It's just that some of them are outright corrupt, too.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
Yes. I do actually agree.

It’s the select few who let down the vast majority.

It’s also big developers who know ‘who’ to select as an ‘independent’ certifier.

It’s also the regulations themselves that can often be not up to scratch.