The Politics Thread 2019

Discuss all the events of the day

Moderator: GH Moderators

gerg
Laurie Daley

Re: The Politics Thread 2018

Post by gerg »

The Nickman wrote:Hahaha of course, Fergus. Apologies Gerg.
Apology accepted and returned. Let's never speak of this again.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Wait! What? It was just starting!

Come back!

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Yeah nah. I think we can all agree, in hindsight, that Jaryd Hayne is quite possibly/probably the sub-par human being that he has been accused of but the rest of that argument does not need to be reopened.

If you need some cheap drama in your life go tell your wife she's a lousy cook. Or watch an episode of MAFs.

Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

gergreg wrote: February 14, 2019, 6:09 am If you need some cheap drama in your life go tell your wife she's a lousy cook. Or watch an episode of MAFs.
I believe that schedule is called "Tuesday" in the TR household
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Pigman wrote:
gergreg wrote: February 14, 2019, 6:09 am If you need some cheap drama in your life go tell your wife she's a lousy cook. Or watch an episode of MAFs.
I believe that schedule is called "Tuesday" in the TR household
Might have been more realistic to suggest T_R tells his wife that her choice of hired help in the kitchen is lousy.

The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Hahaha it’s funny because TR is an absolute monster

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Women sometimes need a measure of more direct than usual communication to reach the levels that are expected of them in the kitchen. I see no problem with sharing some frank feedback when she fails to meet acceptable minimum standards.

It keeps the marriage fresh.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Even more pertinent on Valentine's day.

T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Now, if you people have stopped turning this otherwise august thread into a cesspit of misogyny, I have a question. Do Labor's proposed changes to negative gearing apply only to the property sector, or are they looking to restrict the breadth of application in other asset classes? I can only see reference to specify situations in property investment.

gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Pffft who looks at the detail in this nonsense? I rely on the balanced opinions of 'getup, the Canberra Times and ABC the Drum for my politics.

T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

gergreg wrote: February 14, 2019, 9:55 am Pffft who looks at the detail in this nonsense? I rely on the balanced opinions of 'getup, the Canberra Times and ABC the Drum for my politics.
Oh, that couldn't be more clear. I would also have accepted 'Opinion pieces in the Guardian Online'.

So far as I can tell, the sweeping reforms to Negative Gearing are to be narrowly applied to a single asset class in specific circumstances. Honestly, this will do much more damage than it's worth.

The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

gergreg wrote: February 14, 2019, 9:55 am Pffft who looks at the detail in this nonsense? I rely on the balanced opinions of 'getup, the Canberra Times and ABC the Drum for my politics.

And I think I've made it QUITE clear that I get all of my political discourse from those Australien (sic) Government ads on Facebook and the Betoota Advocate.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

T_R wrote:
Oh, that couldn't be more clear. I would also have accepted 'Opinion pieces in the Guardian Online'.

So far as I can tell, the sweeping reforms to Negative Gearing are to be narrowly applied to a single asset class in specific circumstances. Honestly, this will do much more damage than it's worth.
If anything I do read the CT occasionally, but not the others. And who doesn't love a bit of beetoota satire, Nickman?

I don't know if it will change much particularly with the 'grand father' rule.

T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

gergreg wrote:
T_R wrote:

If anything I do read the CT occasionally, but not the others. And who doesn't love a bit of beetoota satire, Nickman?

I don't know if it will change much particularly with the 'grand father' rule.

Nickman had literally no idea it was satire. A lot of stuff is going to make much more sense now.

Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

I will go to my grave giggling everytime i think of this article

https://www.betootaadvocate.com/uncateg ... -investor/

Particularly the line
“It’s all good. It’s all good” he said while starting to visibly panic.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

What is a Bitcoin worth these days? Had a conspiracy theory mate trying to convince me to get amongst the cryptos a while back.

The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Pigman wrote: February 14, 2019, 7:59 pm I will go to my grave giggling everytime i think of this article

https://www.betootaadvocate.com/uncateg ... -investor/

Particularly the line
“It’s all good. It’s all good” he said while starting to visibly panic.
Hahaha there's absolutely no WAY that's satire when you consider how much it applies directly to Lucy and Luffto.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

Big Mal calls for a referendum on the National Anthem.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-02-16/ ... m/10818760

IMO we should have a postal plebiscite like the marriage equality one to resolve the anthem and Australia day.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

The National Anthem is offensive?
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

Next. Move along.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Green eyed Mick wrote:Big Mal calls for a referendum on the National Anthem.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-02-16/ ... m/10818760

IMO we should have a postal plebiscite like the marriage equality one to resolve the anthem and Australia day.
How about before we burn $250M we do a little polling to work out whether it’s likely to get up.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Next national anthem should be by a real Australian. I vote Funky Junky by Peter Andre.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

But he’s born in England!

I counter-propose “Strawberry Kisses” by true blue Nikki Webster.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley

Dr Zaius wrote: February 16, 2019, 9:36 pm The National Anthem is offensive?
It doesn't offend me but I understand why some people find it offensive. It's a lame national anthem originally written to celebrate Australia as a loyal British colony.

The National anthem was chosen via a plebiscite in 1977, I'd like to see the Australian people decide on whether to keep it or pick something more modern and inclusive.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Green eyed Mick wrote:
Dr Zaius wrote: February 16, 2019, 9:36 pm The National Anthem is offensive?
It doesn't offend me but I understand why some people find it offensive. It's a lame national anthem originally written to celebrate Australia as a loyal British colony.

The National anthem was chosen via a plebiscite in 1977, I'd like to see the Australian people decide on whether to keep it or pick something more modern and inclusive.
But plebiscites are too expensive!

gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Green eyed Mick wrote: It doesn't offend me but I understand why some people find it offensive. It's a lame national anthem originally written to celebrate Australia as a loyal British colony.

What about it particularly speaks to being a British colony?

1977 would have to be one of the more modern anthems surely? You want something by Calvin Harris with a good beat? What aspects of the current anthem are divisive?
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Sifting through the first two verses I honestly can't see what there is to be offended about. Except for the use of the word "girt".
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley

These are the original lyrics:

Australia's sons let us rejoice,
For we are young and free;
We've golden soil and wealth for toil,
Our home is girt by sea;
Our land abounds in Nature's gifts
Of beauty rich and rare;
In hist'ry's page, let ev'ry stage
Advance Australia fair.
In joyful strains then let us sing,
Advance Australia fair.

When gallant Cook from Albion sailed,
To trace wide oceans o'er,
True British courage bore him on,
Til he landed on our shore.
Then here he raised Old England's flag,
The standard of the brave;
"With all her faults we love her still"
"Britannia rules the wave."
In joyful strains then let us sing
Advance Australia fair.

While other nations of the globe
Behold us from afar,
We'll rise to high renown and shine
Like our glorious southern star;
From England soil and Fatherland,
Scotia and Erin fair,
Let all combine with heart and hand
To advance Australia fair.
Advance Australia fair.

Should foreign foe e'er sight our coast,
Or dare a foot to land,
We'll rouse to arms like sires of yore,
To guard our native strand;
Britannia then shall surely know,
Though oceans roll between,
Her sons in fair Australia's land
Still keep their courage green.
Advance Australia fair.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

But not the lyrics used.... The second verse used is:

Beneath our Radiant Southern Cross
We'll toil with hearts and hands
To make this Commonwealth of ours
Reknown amongst all the lands
For those who come across the seas
We've boundless plains to share
With courage let us all combine
To Advance Australia Fair
Advance Australia Fair

And the "sons" in the first verse has been replaced with "all".

I'd guarantee Cody Walker doesn't know any of the words apart from the first verse, which is about as vanilla as it comes. I get Australia Day, but again, I honestly can't see how the anthem is offensive.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I can understand why anyone might not wish to celebrate the current Australia Day. My suggestion is to axe it entirely and we all go to work. Except me because I'm retired. Make our national day the day the nation was established. January 1. No extra holiday, as that is already a holiday. And there are already fireworks.

On the anthem. I find it very discriminatory, saying we're young and free. I'm old. So it must be thrown out. Immediately.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Waleed Aly did a good piece on why it should be moved. Nothing really happened on that date.

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/amp.new ... 3b0c49e74f

I’m on the March 3rd train personally.

As for the anthem, I’m a mid 30s white male, so who am I to determine what is and isn’t offensive? If there’s a minority out there who feels offended by it, then it’s offensive.

Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: February 17, 2019, 5:40 pm Waleed Aly did a good piece on why it should be moved. Nothing really happened on that date.

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/amp.new ... 3b0c49e74f

I’m on the March 3rd train personally.

As for the anthem, I’m a mid 30s white male, so who am I to determine what is and isn’t offensive? If there’s a minority out there who feels offended by it, then it’s offensive.

I am now an old white person, I'm finding everything offensive! Tax, young people, charges for plastic bags... everything! Time to hold a referendum on all of it!
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

What colour were you before??!?

Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

I would vote to remove our anthem in a heart beat
It’s proper ****

You watch other sporting events and olympics and it feels like everyone’s anthem is kind of cool except ours, which is mind numbingly garbage
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Pigman wrote:I would vote to remove our anthem in a heart beat
It’s proper ****

You watch other sporting events and olympics and it feels like everyone’s anthem is kind of cool except ours, which is mind numbingly garbage
Can we just make it “Aussie Aussie Aussie. Oi oi oi” and be done with it?
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021