The Politics Thread 2019

Discuss all the events of the day

Moderator: GH Moderators

Manbush
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Luke Turner

Re: The Politics Thread 2019

Post by Manbush »

Ouch “the Bill we can’t afford”? The only time I see that is from a One Nation candidate mate on FB.

Do you find Morrison likable or get enthused by anything he’s doing?
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

PigRickman wrote:
gangrenous wrote: May 14, 2019, 6:47 am That doesn’t explain it. You said you were surprised you’d changed. Labor were Labor before.

Why the change?
It's the Bill we can't afford, Gangers.

Honestly i want to vote ALP, i did last federal election but i just cant get remotely enthused by anything Shorten is doing. And he's extremely unlikable. And im sure as **** not seeing any reason to vote LIB. Not that it matters, my seat is a very safe ALP seat but im pretty sure im voting IND
Doesn’t matter if you vote independent, at the end of the day you have to preference one out of Labor and the Liberals.

I’ll probably vote independent too, I did at last state election, but I’ll preference the libs (who will probably win my seat) over Labor.

Last state election I preferenced Labor over the Liberals, but the Libs were giving preferences to One Nation. This time around the Libs are putting One Nation last, and that’s enough for me to give the Libs my preference.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

This will be the 11th Federal election that I'm able to vote in (I've voted Labor 7 times, Libs twice and Green once), and it's the one I'm least enthusiastic about. I don't think the LNP deserve another run, but they remain a better option than the alternative.

I guess I'll vote LNP, but it's really more an anti Shorten vote than anything else.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

If Albo was leader they would **** this in

People have long memories of Shorten being the puppet master in the knifings of Rudd and Gillard

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

T_R wrote:This will be the 11th Federal election that I'm able to vote in (I've voted Labor 7 times, Libs twice and Green once), and it's the one I'm least enthusiastic about. I don't think the LNP deserve another run, but they remain a better option than the alternative.

I guess I'll vote LNP, but it's really more an anti Shorten vote than anything else.
My voting is similar, except it’s anti-Shorten and anti-Hanson.

Make no beefs about it, if the Libs were preferencing One Nation I’d be all-in on Labor.

T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

The Rickman wrote: May 14, 2019, 9:16 am
T_R wrote:This will be the 11th Federal election that I'm able to vote in (I've voted Labor 7 times, Libs twice and Green once), and it's the one I'm least enthusiastic about. I don't think the LNP deserve another run, but they remain a better option than the alternative.

Make no beefs about it, if the Libs were preferencing One Nation I’d be all-in on Labor.

Hanson is no longer relevant. The Anning mob will bleed off the far right loons, and she doesn't have much else left. If she lands 3% nationally, she'll have done well.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Manbush
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Luke Turner

Post by Manbush »

I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Manbush wrote: May 14, 2019, 8:44 am Ouch “the Bill we can’t afford”? The only time I see that is from a One Nation candidate mate on FB.

Haha it was on a LNP ad i saw last night, thought it was probably the most creative stuff i've seen this campaign (admittedly a very low bar) and got a little chuckle out of me

But no, im not enthused by either Morrison or anything he's doing and i find him quite unlikable too. Not as unlikable as Shorten but that's a **** tight race to the bottom...

Rickman is right, i guess ill have to preference someone at some point... im not sure which way ill go on that, this is the Williams-Sezer of politics
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

T_R wrote:
The Rickman wrote: May 14, 2019, 9:16 am

Hanson is no longer relevant. The Anning mob will bleed off the far right loons, and she doesn't have much else left. If she lands 3% nationally, she'll have done well.
This is exactly the same as her last run, once Howard preferenced her last she was done for.

Hopefully this time she fades away into irrelevance forever.

The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

PigRickman wrote:
Manbush wrote: May 14, 2019, 8:44 am Ouch “the Bill we can’t afford”? The only time I see that is from a One Nation candidate mate on FB.

Haha it was on a LNP ad i saw last night, thought it was probably the most creative stuff i've seen this campaign (admittedly a very low bar) and got a little chuckle out of me

But no, im not enthused by either Morrison or anything he's doing and i find him quite unlikable too. Not as unlikable as Shorten but that's a **** tight race to the bottom...

Rickman is right, i guess ill have to preference someone at some point... im not sure which way ill go on that, this is the Williams-Sezer of politics
Hahaha mate, you’re Sezer everyday of the year, don’t pretend you don’t care.

Just need to figure out whether Sezer is ScoMo or Shorten.

The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Manbush wrote:Well they are in a few seats mate.

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/amp.new ... 5807ec009e
Well, this might literally change everything for me. Seems my local candidate, Michelle Landry, has done a preference deal with One Nation (whose candidate is a bloke I used to play Under 19s footy with), so looks like I may be switching Labor and Liberal in my preferences.

Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

The Rickman wrote: May 14, 2019, 9:30 am
PigRickman wrote:

That's very true, i dont have any other options, its a 2 party system so i have to as you say, figure out which one is Sezer for me... but man i'd love to have a viable third option
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

PigRickman wrote: May 14, 2019, 9:33 am
The Rickman wrote: May 14, 2019, 9:30 am
PigRickman wrote:

That's very true, i dont have any other options, its a 2 party system so i have to as you say, figure out which one is Sezer for me... but man i'd love to have a viable third option
George Williams?
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

But we have to vote now, and Georgey boy ain't coming until next election!
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

PigRickman wrote: May 14, 2019, 9:27 am

On what I've seen to date ScoMo seems like a reasonable person (by poli standards at least) but I feel he's a little out of his depth as PM/Party Leader. Think that Senior Ministery is his ceiling. Tough gig though. The failed coup by Dutton and Corman really screwed the LNP so he was handed a poison chalice. I still believe if they had backed Julie Bishop as Turnbull's successor then we might see a whole different scenario. Reckon Shorten would have really struggled to match her in the campaign.

You're rigth though. Morrison v Shorten is like the Williams v Sezer debate where you only have 2 options and both are just different types of garbage. I'd be so much more confident in our prospects if it was Bishop v Albanese.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Bishop would have run absolute **** rings around Shorten, and there is half a dozen ALP options that would mop the floor with ScoMo... hard to imagine how we got to this point where both parties decided to go into battle with these dudes.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Turnbull would've won this thing in an absolute canter too. Really unfortunate too, I liked him as a Prime Minister.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

I'm looking forward to this weeks Matt's Matchup: Special Election Edition.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Northern Raider wrote: May 14, 2019, 12:10 pm I'm looking forward to this weeks Matt's Matchup: Special Election Edition.
Sco Mo wins Matt's Matchup's because on form he is a current prime minister whereas all other candidates running would be making their debut.
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Sid wrote: May 14, 2019, 12:15 pm
Northern Raider wrote: May 14, 2019, 12:10 pm I'm looking forward to this weeks Matt's Matchup: Special Election Edition.
Sco Mo wins Matt's Matchup's because on form he is a current prime minister whereas all other candidates running would be making their debut.
He might need some flexibility on his formulas for this one.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Northern Raider wrote: May 14, 2019, 12:18 pm
Sid wrote: May 14, 2019, 12:15 pm
He might need some flexibility on his formulas for this one.
The rules are unapologetically rigid. It is what it is.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

The Rickman wrote:

Well, this might literally change everything for me. Seems my local candidate, Michelle Landry, has done a preference deal with One Nation (whose candidate is a bloke I used to play Under 19s footy with), so looks like I may be switching Labor and Liberal in my preferences.

There is absolutely no way the preference flow could reach One Nation

The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

T_R wrote: May 14, 2019, 2:10 pm
The Rickman wrote:

There is absolutely no way the preference flow could reach One Nation
Explain how!
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Because Labor or the the LNP will win your seat

The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

My issue with this though is that if there are any seats where One Nation wins due to Liberal preferences and they somehow form a minority government, I'd be devastated.

Better off voting Labor in my electorate so that can't happen.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

The Rickman wrote:My issue with this though is that if there are any seats where One Nation wins due to Liberal preferences and they somehow form a minority government, I'd be devastated.

One Nation are not going to win seats, and nothing you do in your electorate will influence that anyway.

The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

T_R wrote: May 14, 2019, 5:45 pm
The Rickman wrote:My issue with this though is that if there are any seats where One Nation wins due to Liberal preferences and they somehow form a minority government, I'd be devastated.

One Nation are not going to win seats, and nothing you do in your electorate will influence that anyway.
I know, but my point is that I can't support the Liberals if there's the slightest chance they'll form a minority government with One Nation.

If you can guarantee they won't win a single seat, maybe it's ok. Otherwise, I'd rather a Labor/Greens coalition.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Imagine how unstoppable Malcolm Turnbull leading a party without Abbott and his conservative pals would have been.

There’s no way I can vote for a party that doesn’t even accept climate change. Then they make matters worse by being divided and having no policy, so electricity prices go up and investment is stalled for absolutely zero benefit. At least with the Labor policy the raised prices are doing some good.

Same with the NBN, paid 70% of the upfront cost for 20% of the value and significantly greater upkeep due to older and mixed technologies. Clowns.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

gangrenous wrote:Imagine how unstoppable Malcolm Turnbull leading a party without Abbott and his conservative pals would have been.

There’s no way I can vote for a party that doesn’t even accept climate change. Then they make matters worse by being divided and having no policy, so electricity prices go up and investment is stalled for absolutely zero benefit. At least with the Labor policy the raised prices are doing some good.

Same with the NBN, paid 70% of the upfront cost for 20% of the value and significantly greater upkeep due to older and mixed technologies. Clowns.
Read the book 'Born to rule?'. It quite honestly changed my opinion of the man.

T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

The Rickman wrote:
T_R wrote: May 14, 2019, 5:45 pm

I know, but my point is that I can't support the Liberals if there's the slightest chance they'll form a minority government with One Nation.

If you can guarantee they won't win a single seat, maybe it's ok. Otherwise, I'd rather a Labor/Greens coalition.
One Nation are less than zero percent chance of winning a seat.

gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

T_R wrote:Read the book 'Born to rule?'. It quite honestly changed my opinion of the man.
Will add that one to the reading list Image
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

T_R wrote: May 14, 2019, 8:06 pm
gangrenous wrote:Imagine how unstoppable Malcolm Turnbull leading a party without Abbott and his conservative pals would have been.

how and why?
Im naturally sceptical of biographies of any kind... either it's authorised and is essentially a how every many hundred page fluff piece, or it's unauthorised and, from my experience, working on a very clear agenda.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Gangers, climate change is NOT carbon based. Do your reading man!!

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Carbon emissions are producing climate change according to the vast bulk of climate change scientists. The scientists who claim otherwise are pretty much employed by carbon emitting industries to say so. And then there are genuine crack pots.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

PigRickman wrote:
T_R wrote: May 14, 2019, 8:06 pm

how and why?
Im naturally sceptical of biographies of any kind... either it's authorised and is essentially a how every many hundred page fluff piece, or it's unauthorised and, from my experience, working on a very clear agenda.
I've got about 6 or 7 meters of shelf space with political biographies, and I completely agree with that in most cases.

I thought Born to rule? was very balanced. It was almost overawed with his list of achievements, but really looked into the character of the man, and was not massively generous in regard that.