Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: The Politics Thread 2018

Post by greeneyed »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: February 17, 2019, 5:59 pm
Pigman wrote:I would vote to remove our anthem in a heart beat
It’s proper ****

You watch other sporting events and olympics and it feels like everyone’s anthem is kind of cool except ours, which is mind numbingly garbage
Can we just make it “Aussie Aussie Aussie. Oi oi oi” and be done with it?
I think we should change it to the song those dudes in your avatar are singing. How does that go again?
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

The Politics Thread 2018

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

greeneyed wrote:
Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: February 17, 2019, 5:59 pm
Pigman wrote:I would vote to remove our anthem in a heart beat
It’s proper ****

You watch other sporting events and olympics and it feels like everyone’s anthem is kind of cool except ours, which is mind numbingly garbage
Can we just make it “Aussie Aussie Aussie. Oi oi oi” and be done with it?
I think we should change it to the song those dudes in your avatar are singing. How does that go again?
Glad you asked, it’s pretty awesome

Fingers crossed this also becomes the vid everyone on the app sees when this thread pops up
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Imagine Australians everywhere going "whoo whoo"... "cheep cheep"!
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Damn... I've had to rewind #MAFS for five minutes just to fit that in!
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: As for the anthem, I’m a mid 30s white male, so who am I to determine what is and isn’t offensive? If there’s a minority out there who feels offended by it, then it’s offensive.
As a mid 30s white male I actually found this offensive.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

greeneyed wrote:Damn... I've had to rewind #MAFS for five minutes just to fit that in!
This is the offensive bit

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

I'd vote to change the anthem mainly because the current one kinda sux. Whenever we play against NZ I always feel a bit jealous of Kiwis when their anthem plays.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Northern Raider wrote: February 18, 2019, 2:47 pm I'd vote to change the anthem mainly because the current one kinda sux. Whenever we play against NZ I always feel a bit jealous of Kiwis when their anthem plays.
Really? It goes to the tune of twinkle, twinkle little star... and the only word they could think of to rhyme with Zealand is "land".
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

greeneyed wrote: February 18, 2019, 3:11 pm
Northern Raider wrote: February 18, 2019, 2:47 pm I'd vote to change the anthem mainly because the current one kinda sux. Whenever we play against NZ I always feel a bit jealous of Kiwis when their anthem plays.
Really? It goes to the tune of twinkle, twinkle little star... and the only word they could think of to rhyme with Zealand is "land".
Can't say I hear that tune when it's played.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Franking credits 'rorted on an industrial scale' but Labor's fix not the answer, says economist Chris Richardson

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-02-18/ ... n=politics

Thoughts on Labours Dividend Imputation Proposal?

Greedy Double-Dipping with tax or is it a justifiable way of preventing loopholes from reforms passed in 2001 ?
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

T_R wrote: February 17, 2019, 11:55 am
Green eyed Mick wrote:
Dr Zaius wrote: February 16, 2019, 9:36 pm The National Anthem is offensive?
It doesn't offend me but I understand why some people find it offensive. It's a lame national anthem originally written to celebrate Australia as a loyal British colony.

The National anthem was chosen via a plebiscite in 1977, I'd like to see the Australian people decide on whether to keep it or pick something more modern and inclusive.
But plebiscites are too expensive!
Hahaha the ironing on this is off the charts!

You can also chuck me down for changing the anthem if it's offensive to our indigenous Australians. Certainly doesn't affect me in the slightest if we change it. Change the **** date already too. And the flag.
Manbush
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Luke Turner

Post by Manbush »

I don’t think people being offended is justification in itself for banning or changing something as people can be offended over anything and everything, need to look at the reasons why and see if its enough to justify a specific action.

The date most definitely as it’s a day genocide of a people began, if the date doesn’t change then we should be changing the feel of the day, make it more like Anzac Day where we remember those that died and the injustices.

The flag and the anthem I’d need to hear more of the arguments against them, neither hold any real significance for me though so open to changing.

When I hear people use the argument “offended” I can’t help but think of this Stephen Fry quote.

It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so **** what."
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Manbush wrote:I don’t think people being offended is justification in itself for banning or changing something as people can be offended over anything and everything, need to look at the reasons why and see if its enough to justify a specific action.

The date most definitely as it’s a day genocide of a people began, if the date doesn’t change then we should be changing the feel of the day, make it more like Anzac Day where we remember those that died and the injustices.

The flag and the anthem I’d need to hear more of the arguments against them, neither hold any real significance for me though so open to changing.

When I hear people use the argument “offended” I can’t help but think of this Stephen Fry quote.

It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so **** what."
Ive read that last bit before. Where did you lift that from?

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Have you been stalking me on Facebook again mate it’s my background pic, quote from Stephen Fry.
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Northern Raider wrote:I'd vote to change the anthem mainly because the current one kinda sux. Whenever we play against NZ I always feel a bit jealous of Kiwis when their anthem plays.
It's so much better
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I cannot believe anyone but New Zealanders like the New Zealand national anthem. It is a dirge.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

I like it
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Well a national anthem named “God defend New Zealand” my stance will be bloody obvious, a national anthem of a secular country should not reference any deity.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

greeneyed wrote:I cannot believe anyone but New Zealanders like the New Zealand national anthem. It is a dirge.
Enjoy being girt by sea..
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

-TW- wrote: February 18, 2019, 10:31 pm
greeneyed wrote:I cannot believe anyone but New Zealanders like the New Zealand national anthem. It is a dirge.
Enjoy being girt by sea..
Enjoy God defending New Zealand rather than Australia. If God exists!
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Manbush wrote: February 18, 2019, 7:25 pm Have you been stalking me on Facebook again mate it’s my background pic, quote from Stephen Fry.
Or, possibly, I read it from Stephen Fry.

Nicely put together piece, though.

T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Manbush wrote: February 18, 2019, 7:25 pm Have you been stalking me on Facebook again mate it’s my background pic, quote from Stephen Fry.

Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

T_R wrote: February 18, 2019, 11:37 pm

I think you stalking me is a much more likely scenario mate.

He’s definitely one of my favorite speakers, could listen to him all day.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

This reads like a 'test case/scenario' in a Conflict if interest training course.

https://www.canberratimes.com.au/politi ... 50yux.html

Hope they continue to investigate and report on this. I wonder how many pollies have shares in the company?

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

https://www.domain.com.au/news/dramatic ... ntent=pos2

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

One bit of good news I’m seeing One Nation implode ever since they named a Muslim candidate. Despite her being a more progressive Muslim who values secular government I’m seeing so many of their members abandoning them, I don’t think the move will win them any supporters but it is definitely costing them some.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

The Politics Thread 2018

Post by gangrenous »

Sid wrote:Franking credits 'rorted on an industrial scale' but Labor's fix not the answer, says economist Chris Richardson

Greedy Double-Dipping with tax or is it a justifiable way of preventing loopholes from reforms passed in 2001 ?
There’s no way it can be greedy double dipping when only one party pays the tax. You could argue it is over-taxing.

It seems pretty clear there is generational unfairness in the tax system for retirees. As Chris Richardson says, this is probably not the best fix... but I think it’s better than what we have currently.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

gangrenous wrote: February 20, 2019, 7:36 am
Sid wrote:Franking credits 'rorted on an industrial scale' but Labor's fix not the answer, says economist Chris Richardson

There’s no way it can be greedy double dipping when only one party pays the tax. You could argue it is over-taxing.

It seems pretty clear there is generational unfairness in the tax system for retirees. As Chris Richardson says, this is probably not the best fix... but I think it’s better than what we have currently.
I'm not saying the rules don't need changing but this policy needs a lot of refinement. The way its currently structured is a large deterrant for self funded retirees and will push more people back onto pension. By saving money in one area it will cost more in others. realistically given the massive financial burden of the currnent age pension we should be encouraging more self funded retirees, not less.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Large deterrent that’ll push people back onto pensions?

I suspect not in significant numbers. Need to consider how many are going to be borderline enough on the asset test to make it worthwhile burning assets to draw a pension.

People will still have plenty of motivation not to be on the pension. Not a truckload of money is it?
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Dont **** people over, though....just Grandfather the frigging policy. Maybe Shorten could ease off his class warfare and just be satisfied with a border skirmish.

gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Are people really **** over though? Surely most people have done well enough out of their refunds to more than compensate them for the cost of rebalancing their portfolio?
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Hang on - the government has pushed people into self-funding their retirement. OK, that's a change in the last 20 years, but people have adjusted. They gave people certain strategies, incentivised through the tax system, to do so.

Because it has now become politically unpalatable, Shorten is now pulling the rug out of one of those strategies. You can't tell people that they can fund their retirement in a certain way then, once they've retired, change your mind and do them over.

So yes, they've been deeply ****. If our future class warrior leader wants to lead the working people in revolution, then well and good to him, but just Grandfather the legislation. Easy, and there are no losers.

gangrenous
Laurie Daley

The Politics Thread 2018

Post by gangrenous »

Hang on - would they be removing pensions? Nope, so seems like the same backstop to funding your own retirement didn’t vanish (it’s good enough for the plebs though)? Is calling it funding your own retirement justified if it’s foregone tax revenue - or is it welfare by another name (additionally redirected to plenty of well off people in no need of it)? Did they propose removing all assistance to funding your own retirement? (Think there’s still some pretty cushy tax breaks in super)

I’m fed up with policy changes having to have no losers. It’s how we end up with continual **** policies like education funding because no school was allowed to lose a cent under Labor’s review. Yes, you want to minimise loss and particularly amongst those who can least afford it. Sometimes though can we just man up and go, “this was well intentioned, but it’s been warped away from its intent. You lot have done well out of this while it lasted, but we need to roll this back now because the benefit is not being fairly distributed. To grandfather this further entrenches the unfairness, as those in the generations not particularly benefitting from this will get to watch you keep doing so whilst they cannot”?

**** that I say
Last edited by gangrenous on February 20, 2019, 9:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

So you'll be campaigning against Labor's negative gearing changes, since they are further entrenching unfairness?

T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Also, your first few lines were like something out of Shakespeare. You completely lost me.