The Politics Thread 2019

Discuss all the events of the day

Moderator: GH Moderators

T_R
Don Furner

Re: The Politics Thread 2019

Post by T_R »

The only thing that gives me hope for the election is Nickman's uncannily accurate predictions.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

T_R wrote: April 30, 2019, 10:58 am The only thing that gives me hope for the election is Nickman's uncannily accurate predictions.
I think I probably just have a lot more ***** in my Facebook feed than most of you have to ever have true faith in the masses.

Although saying that, I'm not sure a Greens/Labor coalition is much better than a LNP/PHON/Clive Palmer ****-show. One is certainly worse for human rights, the other could be devastating to our economy.

Now more than ever, there's no winners here for the Australian people.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

Based on the current economic data the economy is already in big trouble.
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

Watching sky news

It’s inspiring me in humanity again that maybe labor won’t take over our nation at the next election.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

papabear wrote:Watching sky news

It’s inspiring me in humanity again that maybe labor won’t take over our nation at the next election.
Haha I’m not entirely sure it’s a win “for humanity” if the Libs win the next election.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Manbush
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Luke Turner

Post by Manbush »

I understand how people don’t find Shorten likeable but I’m baffled that the same sentiment isn’t shared about Morrison.
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Manbush wrote:I understand how people don’t find Shorten likeable but I’m baffled that the same sentiment isn’t shared about Morrison.
he's got a cool moniker - ScoMo

What has Shorten got? Shortbill, Little Willy?
Edrick The Entertainer
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

bonehead wrote: May 2, 2019, 8:24 am
Manbush wrote:I understand how people don’t find Shorten likeable but I’m baffled that the same sentiment isn’t shared about Morrison.
he's got a cool moniker - ScoMo

What has Shorten got? Shortbill, Little Willy?
Bill's Short'un?
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Manbush wrote: May 2, 2019, 8:09 am I understand how people don’t find Shorten likeable but I’m baffled that the same sentiment isn’t shared about Morrison.
I think Morrison's original appeal was that he wasn't Dutton. And now he's not Shorten.

Turnbull would've wiped the floor with any of these *****, but that's how **** stupid the Liberal Party is.
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

Money to spend on political advertising.

1 - Clive palmer his ads are everywhere
2 - The unions

Where are the libs and greens I havent seen anything from them?
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

They already think you’re voting for them. They’re all up in my Facebook feed... well the Libs anyway...
Sterlk
David Furner

Post by Sterlk »

papabear wrote: April 30, 2019, 9:00 pm Watching sky news

I assume you're aware of the whole "Sky after dark" thing?
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Just voted and **** more nutjob far right parties than ever appear to be running :(
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Manbush wrote: May 7, 2019, 2:12 pm Just voted and **** more nutjob far right parties than ever appear to be running :(
Balanced by an equal number of nutjob lefties and a bunch of just plain nutjobs. The voting tickets at this election are as cringeworthy as they come. Worst part is you have to put preferences against all of them.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

Northern Raider wrote: May 7, 2019, 4:19 pm
Manbush wrote: May 7, 2019, 2:12 pm Just voted and **** more nutjob far right parties than ever appear to be running :(
Balanced by an equal number of nutjob lefties and a bunch of just plain nutjobs. The voting tickets at this election are as cringeworthy as they come. Worst part is you have to put preferences against all of them.
Have you looked at the QLD Senate Ticket?
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Leftys are ruining the world.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Green eyed Mick wrote: May 7, 2019, 7:16 pm
Northern Raider wrote: May 7, 2019, 4:19 pm
Have you looked at the QLD Senate Ticket?
Yep. It's appalling. The lesser of all evils seemed the number of independents in there I've never heard of. They are probably bigger loons than those representing parties.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Manbush wrote:Just voted and **** more nutjob far right parties than ever appear to be running :(
Couldn't decide which one to vote for?

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Sterlk
David Furner

Post by Sterlk »

So who's done the ABC Vote Compass? Anybody surprised at their results?

https://votecompass.abc.net.au/
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Those vote compasses make everybody left though, because they have questions like “ do you hate children?” and “should billionaires ever have to pay any tax?”

gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Whose children?
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

T_R wrote: May 7, 2019, 8:22 pm
Manbush wrote:Just voted and **** more nutjob far right parties than ever appear to be running :(
Couldn't decide which one to vote for?

Couldn’t decide which one to put dead last, ended up deciding on Daniel Nalliahs Rise up Australia, a religious extremist immigrant who wants to ban other religious extremist immigrants, the hypocrisy was just too much.

Just a shame Reason wasn’t running anyone in my electorate they’d have gotten my vote but since they don’t had to give it to the first party I was ever a member of, HEMP then Labor and then *shudder* Greens.
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

dubby wrote: May 7, 2019, 8:01 pm Leftys are ruining the world.

May I ask in what regard?

The things the “lefty’s” tend to want are things like equality, looking after the less fortunate etc the things the Bible says Jesus preached, you could easily argue the character of Jesus was the biggest “lefty” of all time. What right wing ideologies did Jesus preach?
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Manbush wrote: May 8, 2019, 8:28 am
dubby wrote: May 7, 2019, 8:01 pm Leftys are ruining the world.

May I ask in what regard?

The things the “lefty’s” tend to want are things like equality, looking after the less fortunate etc the things the Bible says Jesus preached, you could easily argue the character of Jesus was the biggest “lefty” of all time. What right wing ideologies did Jesus preach?
Well look at Israel Folau for example, he's not allowed to be a hateful **** anymore and just say whatever he wants about "the gays".

The world is definitely ruined.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

The Rickman wrote:Those vote compasses make everybody left though, because they have questions like “ do you hate children?” and “should billionaires ever have to pay any tax?”

There's also a massive self-selection issue related to it being ther ABC.

The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Actually, I think the last time I did one of these I was left of Labor socially but closer to the Liberals economically, which is where you want to be I reckon

I was talking to KW about this the other day and he said he’s the opposite of me... he’s like Labor economically and the Liberals socially. So basically, he’s a monster... an incompetent monster

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

The Rickman wrote: May 8, 2019, 1:04 pm Actually, I think the last time I did one of these I was left of Labor socially but closer to the Liberals economically, which is where you want to be I reckon

I was talking to KW about this the other day and he said he’s the opposite of me... he’s like Labor economically and the Liberals socially. So basically, he’s a monster... an incompetent monster

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That surprises me, I know a lot of people who are liberal socially but conservative economically but I don’t think I’ve ever heard of the reverse.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Just had a go on Vote Compass. My results haven’t changed since the last time I did it.

Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I was pretty close to the middle. Socially liberal and understand economics.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Slightly conservative, dead centre economic

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

I was socially in the same bar as Labor, economically somewhere to the right of the Australian Fascists.

gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

I guess you deliberately answered some of the economic questions to drag your position left then?
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

gangrenous wrote: May 9, 2019, 7:57 am I guess you deliberately answered some of the economic questions to drag your position left then? Image
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I reckon he would've lied on some of the child slave labour questions too.
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

I was a bit right of the libs on the economy and just under the middle in socially progressive.

TBH I thought I was socially progressive but on gender equality issues I think it is a bit skewiff, I have always thought that if you embed an advantage to someone that will inevitably make them weaker because they get use to that advantage and thenneed to do less to survive / thrive, like the economic argument about the swimmer who swims with chains will inevitably become faster then the swimmer who does the same amount of laps without chains.

Also the question about teaching kids gender equality at schools, I am not a fan of it because just like religious education I don't think those issues are what schools should be teaching kids. Give kids practical learning skills and social skills not progressive or conservative ideology.

Anyway ten years ago I used to vote green, now the sight of Richard Di Natale's head on the vote compass gives me heebie jeebies.
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: May 8, 2019, 9:48 pm Just had a go on Vote Compass. My results haven’t changed since the last time I did it.

communist.