The Politics Thread 2019

Discuss all the events of the day

Moderator: GH Moderators

-TW-
Mal Meninga

Re: The Politics Thread 2019

Post by -TW- »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:
-TW- wrote:Newstart needs to be tightened to the point where unless there are circumstances where finding work isn't possible (rural, can't travel/relocate) then it should be a payment for 12 months maximum
Isn’t it like that anyway? I remember when I had to go on it, I had to state what I intended to do if I was still unemployed after 12 months. Can’t remember all of the options, but serve in the defence force and take up study were two of them.

I always thought the intent was to get me to do something else to get off Newstart?
I don't think it gets cut only if you don't meet the job search requirements, unless it's changed.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Could have changed. I’m going back about 10-12 years ago

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Schifty
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by Schifty »

papabear wrote: April 4, 2019, 8:08 pm
gangrenous wrote: April 4, 2019, 6:55 pm Labor calling the change giving the energy benefit to Newstart recipients a “budget black hole. Saying it’s evidence the budget is falling apart.

Hang on guys, you asked for this change, you got it because it made sense, can you cut the political Bull for two seconds. I mean it’s not like there isn’t plenty of legitimate things to bitch about with these clowns.
Tbh just throwing it out there that I disagree with any additional hand outs or increases to Newstart.

Not from a budgetary perspective. From an anecdotal experience perspective the 30 yr old bloke living at home smashing out computer games all day isn’t paying for the electricity that just went up not does he need more cash to upgrade his rig all the time.
Policy based on a single story? :shock:
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

Based on seeing/ knowing people in life.
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

-TW- wrote: April 4, 2019, 11:26 pm Newstart needs to be tightened to the point where unless there are circumstances where finding work isn't possible (rural, can't travel/relocate) then it should be a payment for 12 months maximum
I’m voting for this man!
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

papabear wrote:
-TW- wrote: April 4, 2019, 11:26 pm Newstart needs to be tightened to the point where unless there are circumstances where finding work isn't possible (rural, can't travel/relocate) then it should be a payment for 12 months maximum
I’m voting for this man!
For a lot of reasons, I think that would be a terrible idea.
Why has the politics of nasty become so fashionable on the right?

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

T_R wrote:
papabear wrote:
I’m voting for this man!
I'm pretty centralist, and support social welfare for those who genuinely need it.

However the system gets abused by people making no effort. It's a stop gap payment for people to have an income whilst finding work, not something for some pot smoking lazy **** to live off for 35 years.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

-TW- wrote:
T_R wrote:
papabear wrote:
I’m voting for this man!
I'm pretty centralist, and support social welfare for those who genuinely need it.

However the system gets abused by people making no effort. It's a stop gap payment for people to have an income whilst finding work, not something for some pot smoking lazy **** to live off for 35 years.
Ultimately, any society is going to have a small percentage of those types. Our unemployment rate is about 4%, so there are certainly not many of them.

Financially, we can afford to carry them. Morally, I don't want them or there kids to go hungry. Personally, I 'd prefer to give them there $250 a week than have them break into my house and steal my new TV, particularly now I've worked out how to download Kayo.

Welfare should be responsible by all means, but putting someone out on the streets after 12 months? Bridge too far for me.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

Being able to afford something doesn’t mean you do it.

Both sides could afford a lot of things they don’t do.

I would prefer the govt to spend more money on policing and more money myself on home security, if I knew our system wasn’t encouraging long term unemployment and that was the trade off.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

And for those people who can't / won't find work after 12 months? As a practical measure, what then happens? You cast them into the street without an even basic income? How can that possibly benefit society.

Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Yeah look, my wife works in child protection.
Unless you've got a really **** great silver bullet solution to deal with that aspect of some 12 month welfare system, im not really about hearing it.

I dont really believe in many of these cases people would suddenly find work even if they were facing the risk of not receiving benefits. Maybe in some of the young adult cases, say 17-23 or whatever that break down is, maybe it would help convince a few of those guys and girls to take up a **** job just to have money to go out etc. But its not going to change a damn thing for the Dad of 3 who's 45 and hasnt worked for 10 years. You take his benefits away, and he's not suddenly going to jump up and say "well ****, that sucks, time to get a job now i guess!"

He'll just steal TR's tv, enjoy unfettered access to Netflix and Kayo until TR changes his passwords and then he'll sell the tv for $400 so he can get his case and mum can get her smokes, or what ever vice that person has, (pokies, booze, drugs, whatever) and life will go on for the family except it's much worse and you've upped the anti social behaviour in the house and that cyclic on those 3 kids
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

PigRickman wrote: April 8, 2019, 1:08 pm
He'll just steal TR's tv, enjoy unfettered access to Netflix and Kayo until TR changes his passwords and then he'll sell the tv for $400 so he can get his case and mum can get her smokes, or what ever vice that person has, (pokies, booze, drugs, whatever) and life will go on for the family except it's much worse and you've upped the anti social behaviour in the house and that cyclic on those 3 kids
Speaking of which, I can now mirror my TV onto the screen on my fridge.

As a species, we have now peaked. There is nowhere further for technology to go.

Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

T_R wrote: April 8, 2019, 1:23 pm

As a species, we have now peaked. There is nowhere further for technology to go.
I remember reading a thing a few years ago about this theory where humans will (or have gotten, the argument was about nuclear weapons, though some suggest it's now on going with climate change) get the to the point of evolutionary advancement that they have the power to destroy themselves or not.
If this is indeed true and i can potentially watch the footy, and get cold beer without moving from a single spot... i think the debate needs to stop, we're here. This is the Homosapiens inflection point.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

PigRickman wrote: April 8, 2019, 1:37 pm

I remember reading a thing a few years ago about this theory where humans will (or have gotten, the argument was about nuclear weapons, though some suggest it's now on going with climate change) get the to the point of evolutionary advancement that they have the power to destroy themselves or not.
If this is indeed true and i can potentially watch the footy, and get cold beer without moving from a single spot... i think the debate needs to stop, we're here. This is the Homosapiens inflection point.
This is to the point that personal responsibility has been eroded by tech. You can now log into your fridge's internal cameras (or rather your kids can do it for you) while shopping to check if you need to buy eggs or whatever.

But I can actually beat that. In our new house, we can skype from the bathroom mirror. Because you never know when you need to brush your teeth and call your mum at the same time. We move in next month. The first thing I'm going to do is to skype my wife at the fridge from the mirror in the bathroom, just because I can.

Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

I'm picturing TR's house to be like the Ultrahouse 3000 in Treehouse of Horror XII
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Sid wrote: April 8, 2019, 3:55 pm I'm picturing TR's house to be like the Ultrahouse 3000 in Treehouse of Horror XII
It's quite honestly very modest, but my boys and I have conspired to add a few cool toys while my wife wasn't paying attention :lol:

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

...or put a bar fridge in the TV room.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Northern Raider wrote:

You don't understand technology at all.

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

T_R wrote: April 8, 2019, 7:26 pm
Northern Raider wrote:

You don't understand technology at all.
I still send faxes
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

And I appreciated my birthday fax!

Next time you’re round at my place NR I’ll show you my new pager.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Northern Raider wrote: April 8, 2019, 7:22 pm

That **** might fly for you lunatics up north. But my wife aint having that ****. But getting a TV on the fridge... hoooo boy, that just might work
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

As someone who travels on business a lot, I miss faxes. How good was it to get back to the hotel at the end of a long day, pick up a pile of faxes at front desk, wander through to the bar and scrawl notes on them over a glass of wine, then drop them back at the desk for sending?
Now, my phone vibrates itself to death all day, and I get back to the hotel with 300 emails pending, about half of which are 'did you get my previous email'?
On the plus side, my fridge knows more than a university library did in the 1980s, so thats cool.

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Mobile phones are for show offs.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Northern Raider wrote:Mobile phones are for show offs.
Yuppy bastards

The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Just on the "dole bludger" debate. I'm now at the stage in my life where I couldn't give the slightest **** what people decide to do with theirs... if Johnny Dreggo wants to sit at home and smoke bongs watching Dragonball Z all day (I went to uni too, remember) for 250 bucks a week, it really doesn't bother me. You're not out living a fancy life for 250 a week, and it really doesn't affect my back pocket at all.

I'm on a fairly decent wage and when you look at the amount of your tax that actually goes towards Newstart?? It's honestly three-fifths of the proverbial. It's nothing.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

T_R wrote:

This is to the point that personal responsibility has been eroded by tech. You can now log into your fridge's internal cameras (or rather your kids can do it for you) while shopping to check if you need to buy eggs or whatever.

But I can actually beat that. In our new house, we can skype from the bathroom mirror. Because you never know when you need to brush your teeth and call your mum at the same time. We move in next month. The first thing I'm going to do is to skype my wife at the fridge from the mirror in the bathroom, just because I can.
What?! Yeah that’s enough for me.
I’m actually finding myself getting to the point where I’m regressing tech wise. I refuse to get anything voice activated. Not interested in Alexa or anything like that.

I just got the igrill 2.0, which measures the temperature of both the BBQ and the meat I’m cooking at the same time, and alerts my phone when it’s getting too cold. I feel like that’s going to be the peak of my technological evolution
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Schifty
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by Schifty »

The Rickman wrote: April 9, 2019, 2:32 pm Just on the "dole bludger" debate. I'm now at the stage in my life where I couldn't give the slightest **** what people decide to do with theirs... if Johnny Dreggo wants to sit at home and smoke bongs watching Dragonball Z all day (I went to uni too, remember) for 250 bucks a week, it really doesn't bother me. You're not out living a fancy life for 250 a week, and it really doesn't affect my back pocket at all.

I'm on a fairly decent wage and when you look at the amount of your tax that actually goes towards Newstart?? It's honestly three-fifths of the proverbial. It's nothing.
I agree, even 50% of people were like that it's worth continuing for the other 50% that rely on it to keep alive.

It goes in cycles.

Our media will alternate between "Dole Bludgers" and Immigrants as the enemies of the middle class.

I guess to mix it up they will find a family with 6 children and dub them "The welfare family" or something like that.

Anyway if you increase newstart by x amount of dollars, x amount of dollars will go back into the economy as for a lot of people it would mean "I can now afford to eat three times a day"

Nobody on newstart is going to drop the extra money an increase would give them into a stock portfolio.

Even the stoner will use that extra money to buy more pizza which then flows back.

People on welfare are not your enemy,
Sterlk
David Furner

Post by Sterlk »

T_R wrote: April 8, 2019, 2:13 pmBut I can actually beat that. In our new house, we can skype from the bathroom mirror. Because you never know when you need to brush your teeth and call your mum at the same time. We move in next month. The first thing I'm going to do is to skype my wife at the fridge from the mirror in the bathroom, just because I can.
That... sounds like a horrible idea for a product.

If you thought webcam security is bad - congratulations T_R your naked family is on the Internet! :lol:
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

@Schifty... I support a good welfare net, as that is the decent thing to do, it promotes a decent society. However, it is a churn, more than a benefit to the economy, in that it doesn't generate a more productive economy (not directly anyway - though you can argue that it sustains your human capital in a time of high unemployment), it doesn't add to output or generate more wealth. It redistributes.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Sterlk wrote:
T_R wrote: April 8, 2019, 2:13 pmBut I can actually beat that. In our new house, we can skype from the bathroom mirror. Because you never know when you need to brush your teeth and call your mum at the same time. We move in next month. The first thing I'm going to do is to skype my wife at the fridge from the mirror in the bathroom, just because I can.
That... sounds like a horrible idea for a product.

If you thought webcam security is bad - congratulations T_R your naked family is on the Internet! Image
Im not sure I can monetize that

T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

greeneyed wrote:@Schifty... I support a good welfare net, as that is the decent thing to do, it promotes a decent society. However, it is a churn, more than a benefit to the economy, in that it doesn't generate a more productive economy (not directly anyway - though you can argue that it sustains your human capital in a time of high unemployment), it doesn't add to output or generate more wealth. It redistributes.
GE raises the tone

The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

greeneyed wrote: April 9, 2019, 8:40 pm @Schifty... I support a good welfare net, as that is the decent thing to do, it promotes a decent society. However, it is a churn, more than a benefit to the economy, in that it doesn't generate a more productive economy (not directly anyway - though you can argue that it sustains your human capital in a time of high unemployment), it doesn't add to output or generate more wealth. It redistributes.
When we have 4% unemployment, I think it's something we can deal with as a nation.

And when I spend more money in one session at the pub then my tax for the WHOLE YEAR contributes towards Newstart, I think people choosing to sit at home smoking bongs and playing video games is something I can deal with too.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Agree. The government spend on Newstart is not as big as most people think and certainly not that big in comparison to Pensions, Family payments, tax concessions and other government costs.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Like I said, I literally spend more in one session down the pub than my tax for the year goes towards Newstart, so the next time someone tells you all their tax is paying for "dole bludgers", just punch them in the throat for me.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

The Rickman wrote: April 10, 2019, 10:56 am
greeneyed wrote: April 9, 2019, 8:40 pm @Schifty... I support a good welfare net, as that is the decent thing to do, it promotes a decent society. However, it is a churn, more than a benefit to the economy, in that it doesn't generate a more productive economy (not directly anyway - though you can argue that it sustains your human capital in a time of high unemployment), it doesn't add to output or generate more wealth. It redistributes.
When we have 4% unemployment, I think it's something we can deal with as a nation.

And when I spend more money in one session at the pub then my tax for the WHOLE YEAR contributes towards Newstart, I think people choosing to sit at home smoking bongs and playing video games is something I can deal with too.
To be fair Nicko, one of your pub session soends is equivalent to the GDP of a central American nation.