Climate change

Discuss all the events of the day

Moderator: GH Moderators

RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Re: Climate change

Post by RedRaider »

Thanks for that Dr. Z. I have added some further info below on the broader subject.

This is the quote from Greens WA Senator Jordan Steele-John in November 2019 in an attempt to blame other political parties for the bushfires:

A West Australian senator has labelled major party politicians “arsonists” during an incendiary debate in Canberra.
With bushfires raging on both sides of the country, Greens Senator Jordon Steele-John laid into opponents as discussions over the link between climate change and fire risks continue to heat up
“You are no better than a bunch of arsonists — borderline arsonists — and you should be ashamed.”

Former CSIRO scientist David Packham was interviewed on Sky News and advised that following the Victorian 2009 horrific bushfires that it was recommended that 8% of bushland be back burned each year. This was subsequently reduced by State Government to 5% and later this was reduced to 3%.

See below information from Victoria which points to the lack of back burning which has produced an increase in the fuel load available to be burned in a catastrophic fire.
https://www.theaustralian.com.au/nation ... c2d9a4bacb

While it is acknowledged that back burning and mechanical land clearing for fire trails etc are not a 'fix all' panacea, the management of the fuel load has not kept up with recommendations of previous inquiries into past massive bushfires. State Governments have control of this process. It seems that there is no reporting mechanism to ensure that the recommended back burns actually take place. Fuel loads are therefore higher than should have been the case in 2019/20. I would expect that a broad ranging inquiry will again make this point and it will become a mandatory requirement for the reduction of fuel loads to take place in future. The back burns will create a lot of smoke and destruction of habitat but they will be done in a more controlled way than the wildfires which have seen massive areas of uncontrolled destruction and 28 human deaths and the loss of thousands of homes and hundreds of thousands of animals so far this fire season.

I am hoping the weather forecasts are correct for later this week and a few days of rain can assist with the control of the fires.
The Indian Ocean dipole is current neutral and that is more likely to produce rain in Australia than the previous years of positive IOD which result in less rain and drought in Australia.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

And of course the federal government bears no responsibility given that they always leave states and territories to do their thing unless gays try to get married.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Thankfully the Australian people were given the opportunity to overwhelmingly support the marriage of people who love each other regardless of gender.

But what has that got to do with this subject? RUOK?
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

EDIT

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk
Last edited by greeneyed on January 13, 2020, 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Broken image link
Shoving it in your face since 2017
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

RedRaider wrote: RUOK?
This seems to be a favourite of yours. Do you think it’s funny or clever to imply people who disagree with you are struggling with mental illness or suicidal?
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Simply a genuine question from one contributor to the Greenhouse to another.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Some good work done by Aussies at Monash University in the field of Lithium Sulphur batteries. Some major advantages over Lithium Ion batteries. See reported in 'The Engineer' link below.

https://www.theengineer.co.uk/lithium-sulphur-battery/

Here's hoping the economic/engineering/environment challenges stack up and Australia can develop the technology into a viable industry. The four fold increase in capacity of Lithium Sulphur batteries over lithium ion batteries are certainly worth exploring and could expedite the electrification of the transport sector and viable storage of power generated from renewable sources.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Can they work on these new energy saving light bulbs next?
Feels like when i was a kid, bulbs in the house lasted ages... and these new energy savers, which apparently last longer are **** ****! Im constantly changing them because they've blown in my house.

If someone could figure that **** the **** out, it would be greatly appreciated.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

It’s your wiring
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Yeah that sounds more like a you problem. OR... Stop buying your bulbs from Nickman
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Let's not discount operator error
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I have even had two of these new fangled bulbs explode. They were installed as part of my renovation... made in China. I replaced them all after the second one exploded.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

gangrenous wrote: February 5, 2020, 5:28 pm It’s your wiring
I've lived in 3 houses in a row, with **** wiring!
Can not believe my luck!
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

If they’re in a row they were probably all wired by the same guy
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Interesting investment strategy botman. Move in and devalue the house next door, buy at bottom dollar, rinse, repeat.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

gangrenous wrote:If they’re in a row they were probably all wired by the same guy
Maybe he's replacing the bulbs with a hammer?

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

gangrenous wrote: February 6, 2020, 5:32 pm If they’re in a row they were probably all wired by the same guy
:lol:
Well played, sir

Two of them are in the same complex, so its actually low key likely they were done by the same company so maybe there is something to this :hmmm
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

gergreg wrote: February 7, 2020, 6:35 am
gangrenous wrote:If they’re in a row they were probably all wired by the same guy

Is... is that not the SOP for replacing a blub? You put it in the socket and lightly hammer it into place?
Im confused
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Botman wrote: February 7, 2020, 9:39 am

Is... is that not the SOP for replacing a blub? You put it in the socket and lightly hammer it into place?
Im confused
Don't listen to them. They're just trying to confuse you. But it could still be the way you're installing them. Give this a go - before fitting the new globe suck on the end of it for about 30 seconds, then insert as normal. Let us know how that goes.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Botman wrote: February 5, 2020, 12:38 pm Can they work on these new energy saving light bulbs next?
Feels like when i was a kid, bulbs in the house lasted ages... and these new energy savers, which apparently last longer are **** ****! Im constantly changing them because they've blown in my house.

If someone could figure that **** the **** out, it would be greatly appreciated.
Are you using LEDs (light emitting diodes)? They are usually very good.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Botman wrote:
gangrenous wrote: February 6, 2020, 5:32 pm If they’re in a row they were probably all wired by the same guy
:lol:
Well played, sir

Two of them are in the same complex, so its actually low key likely they were done by the same company so maybe there is something to this :hmmm

I am disappointed that my response might have ultimately had some semblance of reasonableness to it Image
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Northern Raider wrote: February 7, 2020, 2:42 pm

Im confused
Don't listen to them. They're just trying to confuse you. But it could still be the way you're installing them. Give this a go - before fitting the new globe suck on the end of it for about 30 seconds, then insert as normal. Let us know how that goes.
That's a good life hack!
Ill try it next time the light blows (probably tomorrow)
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Botman wrote: February 7, 2020, 7:15 pm
Northern Raider wrote: February 7, 2020, 2:42 pm

Im confused
That's a good life hack!
Ill try it next time the light blows (probably tomorrow)
Video it so we can be sure you're doing it right.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Had a great day looking at Plug in Hybrid Electric Vehicles (PHEV) and the possibilities. See below where one company wants to go.

Interesting that the Drive.Com Car of the Year for 2020 was the RAV4 Hybrid. These vehicles use a small petrol engine to keep the battery charged. They are a logical step on the path to full Electric Vehicles (EV). They are both better for the environment and better for the pocket over current petrol/diesel vehicles due to lower cost of fuel used in a PHEV.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Both El Nino Southern Oscillation index and Indian Ocean Dipole are in Neutral status which is contributing to the wonderful rainfall right across NSW. Everything is coming up green. After the last couple of years of drought when the IOD was positive (bad for Australia) it sure is a welcome sight.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

If you are allowed outside to see it
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Sorry Doc, I understood your isolation was over. My bad. Something to look forward to. You know I am a glass half full type.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

All good big red
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Lots of interest in the Million mile battery (American terminology). The largest Electric Vehicle battery producer in the world CATL, (China's Contemporary Amperex Technology Ltd) claims they are ready to go with producing them. There is no mention of price but the technology is close to fruition. Interesting comments that people buy a car and use it for its life then keep the battery and put it in their next car. The car battery is also used to power other things eg a Household. Some advances being made on electric Semi Trailers by Tesla also. The electric future is getting closer.

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/tesl ... tion-catl/
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

So have you had any realisations out of the value of modelling and government capacity and action out of COVID that make you revisit your views in this thread?

Or you still just happy to post a battery or electric car article every now and again?
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Whether you like it or not Gangers, the world is changing before our eyes and when I see things which I think will be of interest on this subject I will post them. There is an infrastructure role for Government which is for the common good, but the 'million mile' battery technology is not being driven by Government direction. It is looking to fill the high capacity battery vacuum which currently exists in the market place. If it stacks up financially it will be a great boost for people, the economy and the environment.

In general Australians are good adopters of new technology. The gap is in low sales for electric vehicles which has largely been caused by concerns about price of EVs and range anxiety. Australia is a huge place and while shorter range technologies may be of benefit in the larger city commute, it is the longer range regional holiday which people want to take in their own transport which means there must be either more 'fast chargers' to top up the battery and/or greater capacity batteries. I'm excited about how this electric world will evolve.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Whether I like it or not? Do you even listen to yourself?

Ok so you learnt nothing. Fricken boomers.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

How sad you would seek to divide people by generation. One day you will judge people by their stated views on a subject and not the date on their birth certificate.

So that I am clear: I support Australia's Paris Agreement target of a reduction in greenhouse gas emissions of 26-28% of 2005 emission levels. There will be a number of ways to achieve this target.
I support the Australian National Hydrogen Strategy. For more information on this click the link below.
https://www.industry.gov.au/sites/defau ... rategy.pdf

I understand that current 'green' power via solar panels and wind power is intermittent. To make it less intermittent the need for higher capacity batteries is vital. That is why I post items which will boost these forms of green power and make it more accessible for use by everyone. The batteries will not only power vehicles, they could also power homes, farms, schools, hospitals, businesses and almost every other human need for a power source. It will provide an alternative to less developed nations to provide sustainable power from sources other than fossil fuels.

Another 'battery' type is pumped hydro. I support Snowy 2.0 which will use this technology. I support 'battery of the nation' which will mean power generated by wind and hydro in Tasmania will be moved via massive interconnectors to the mainland. This is in large part being funded by Government.

I do not support the appeasement of the largest polluter in the World - China. They make about about 30% of World emissions yet are allowed to increase emissions under the Paris Agreement. In fact the top 4 individual emitters which include the USA, India and Russia contribute above 50% of world emissions and they are not subject to any treaty to reduce emissions.

I find that at odds with a goal of reducing world emissions within a finite globe.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The issue is, RedRaider, that these technologies are not economic without a carbon price. Your post made clear that take up is poor because they're expensive in relative terms. They'll remain so, without the carbon pollution being priced in. The other benefit is that the most efficient, and cheapest, alternative technologies naturally come to the fore. Some of the technologies could be the bees knees, but maybe not. Maybe there are cheaper alternatives. That's the key to making the adjustment at the lowest cost.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

RedRaider wrote:How sad you would seek to divide people by generation. One day you will judge people by their stated views on a subject and not the date on their birth certificate.
There are plenty of people from your generation I would never dream of saying that to. I have judged you by your views. It just so happens that you fit the boomer stereotype quite nicely, so if the shoe fits...

Capitalism on it’s own solves Climate Change as well as it solves Pandemics. People are very bad at pricing in impacts that aren’t immediately visible. Government should step in and put in a framework that accounts for that and gives us the best chance at limiting the impacts of Climate Change.

The younger generation has just taken a massive hit in unemployment and mental health, largely to reduce the impacts on the people of your generation and the vulnerable. To return the favour you say you support the status quo where we put minimal investment into making sure their future is liveable, re-elect and supporting a government that has done nothing that indicates they will meet the Paris target you say you support. In fact they have actively destabilised collaborative talks to address the problem. You belittle the experts in the area and you make glib posts about the climate always changing which echo climate deniers who claim there’s no problem at all.

If I translate your Climate Change behaviour to the pandemic you’d be refusing changing anything in your life while posting articles about a vaccine that’s coming. You’d be vocally supporting any party that would not invest in the support necessary for policy to minimise the impact by pushing for no economic restrictions and no jobkeeper/jobseeker funding. You’d throw out some posts that questioned the modelling of health experts. Then follow it up with one that made allusions to a conspiracy that suggested maybe there wasn’t a virus at all.

Ok boomer?