Discuss all the events of the day

Moderator: GH Moderators

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Re: Climate change

Post by Northern Raider »

Dr Zaius wrote: February 27, 2019, 4:08 pm
Northern Raider wrote:To be honest, in the debate about climate science it's very difficult to find a truly independent opinion on the topic. Pretty much everything published and readily accessible is pushing some form of agenda.
Which would be fine if it was a 50:50 split in opinions. But there is not, there is 98:2, which says to me that when it comes to people who know what they are talking about, there is no debate. There is always a 1-2% crackpot group in any craft group. More so when some of the most powerful companies in the world have a financial interest in those crackpot views.
Where does that statistic come from?
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Northern Raider wrote: Where does that statistic come from?
https://climate.nasa.gov/scientific-consensus/

On your previous post regarding agenda. In general the scientific community are motivated by disproving consensus. That’s what makes you a rockstar scientist. Plus, in my experience the vast majority of scientists are not well paid. Most are motivated by their own curiosity. It’s not a profession particularly prone to agendas generally.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

gangrenous wrote: February 27, 2019, 5:15 pm

On your previous post regarding agenda. In general the scientific community are motivated by disproving consensus. That’s what makes you a rockstar scientist. Plus, in my experience the vast majority of scientists are not well paid. Most are motivated by their own curiosity. It’s not a profession particularly prone to agendas generally.
I would argue that the scientific community are motivated by those that fund them.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Northern Raider wrote: February 27, 2019, 5:23 pm

I would argue that the scientific community are motivated by those that fund them.
If that were true, then the scientific consensus would not be so one sided. The cash available to companies that generate greenhouse gases is huge...
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Northern Raider wrote:

I’d argue you haven’t worked in the scientific community.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

gangrenous wrote: February 27, 2019, 5:32 pm
Northern Raider wrote:

I’d argue you haven’t worked in the scientific community.
Its sounds like a blast
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Just on this statistic claiming the 97% consensus. This is generated from a paper that is "based on 11,944 abstracts of research papers, of which 4,014 took a position on the cause of recent global warming." While I'm not questioning the 97% figure its acutally 97% of the 34% that drew a conclusion. So its actually 32.5% of the published research papers conclude that the current climate change is human caused. 66% are on the fence, while the remaining 1.5% support alternative theories.
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

Ouch that almost reversed the strength of the argument.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Ah... no.

Because not in every paper related to climate change does it make sense to include a statement one way or the other. For example most papers relating to relativity will not include the line “we conclude relativity is happening”.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

The Rickman wrote:
dubby wrote:Check the alternative.

It's NOT man made
And you don’t think 98% of the world’s scientists are doing that?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
No
They're chasing funding.

Sent from my SM-G960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Climate change

Post by gangrenous »

A huge percentage of the world’s climate scientists are all chasing funding and burning their time, legacy and dignity on panels and statements urging action?

It’s completely unrealistic.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

If it is all about funding... we'd have a lot of studies proving that greenhouse gases are not an issue in climate change. Because the companies that produce them are rolling cash. But we don't have whole lot of studies that say that. Rather, the scientific community is quite clearly saying the opposite.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

dubby wrote:
The Rickman wrote:

It's NOT man made

No
They're chasing funding.

Like I've said previously what happens if you're wrong? Answer. There will be millions of displaced people and many lives lost. What happens if you are right? Answer. We will have wasted money on better renewable technology. Now what is the better option?

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

Nasa, CSIRO and dozens of other leading research bodies are government funded as are 1000's of reputable universities.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Illusion of validity.

Over trusting data that's consistent even if it's weak.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

gergreg wrote:
dubby wrote:
The Rickman wrote:

It's NOT man made

No
They're chasing funding.

Like I've said previously what happens if you're wrong? Answer. There will be millions of displaced people and many lives lost. What happens if you are right? Answer. We will have wasted money on better renewable technology. Now what is the better option?

This would be better in human discourse Image

We need coal. Or uranium as a legitimate source of energy. We just do.

Should we continue to find a cleaner solution? You bet!

But the targets in the meantime are unrealistic, unnecessary, and oppressive.

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Green eyed Mick wrote:

Nasa, CSIRO and dozens of other leading research bodies are government funded as are 1000's of reputable universities.
Correct. ;)

Sent from my SM-G955F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

dubby wrote:
gergreg wrote:
dubby wrote:
The Rickman wrote:

It's NOT man made

No
They're chasing funding.

This would be better in human discourse Image

We need coal. Or uranium as a legitimate source of energy. We just do.

Should we continue to find a cleaner solution? You bet!

But the targets in the meantime are unrealistic, unnecessary, and oppressive.

The reason it seems oppressive is because the entire world has sat on their hands for the past 20 years. Tell the Pacific island nations that change is unnecessary and see how that goes.

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Manbush
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Luke Turner

Post by Manbush »

gangrenous wrote: February 27, 2019, 5:15 pm In general the scientific community are motivated by disproving consensus. That’s what makes you a rockstar scientist.
This, so much this! You have no idea how often I have to make this point when discussing biology and cosmology.
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Manbush wrote:
gangrenous wrote: February 27, 2019, 5:15 pm In general the scientific community are motivated by disproving consensus. That’s what makes you a rockstar scientist.
This, so much this! You have no idea how often I have to make this point when discussing biology and cosmology.
You do that a lot??

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

As a race, we absolutely should NOT be relying on coal as a means for generating electricity. It's absolutely mind-blowing that we "seemingly" haven't developed the technology to power the whole world through the sun and waves.

Another big thing that needs to happen is more trees need to be planted (although a lot of countries are actually taking this initiative), and obviously the shift to electric cars will make a massive impact too.

And anyone here arguing the 98% are just doing it to "chase funding" when all the biggest players on the globe money-wise would be backing the 2% is just absolutely kidding themselves.
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

T_R wrote: February 28, 2019, 11:32 am
Manbush wrote:
You do that a lot??
With one of my known passions yes it comes up a lot.
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Manbush wrote: February 28, 2019, 11:41 am
T_R wrote: February 28, 2019, 11:32 am
Manbush wrote:
You do that a lot??
With one of my known passions yes it comes up a lot.
Ah yes, would be careful with that though, Pell just got brought down for the same thing!
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

:lol:

I would have to say the same thing to Pell after his run in with Richard Dawkins on Q&A a few years ago.
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

gangrenous wrote: February 27, 2019, 7:12 pm Ah... no.

Because not in every paper related to climate change does it make sense to include a statement one way or the other. For example most papers relating to relativity will not include the line “we conclude relativity is happening”.
lack of affirmation doesn't infer disagreement.

But equally it doesnt infer agreement, it is no position.

Your right, the argument isn't reversed, but it certainly isn't as strong as how it is referred to.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Manbush wrote: February 28, 2019, 12:06 pm :lol:

I would have to say the same thing to Pell after his run in with Richard Dawkins on Q&A a few years ago.
I think Nickman was more suggesting that pursuing your 'passions' is not always a good thing.
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Northern Raider wrote: March 1, 2019, 10:42 am
Manbush wrote: February 28, 2019, 12:06 pm :lol:

I think Nickman was more suggesting that pursuing your 'passions' is not always a good thing.
I know what he was suggesting but instead of pointing out the false equivalency I’d redirect to more on what I was originally talking about.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

Did some more research on George Soros. Dubby might be onto something :hmmm

Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Jones cracks me up, absolute nutjob. :lol:

yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

Severe cringe warning :!:
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Yayyyy, I've been waiting for this thread to be bumped in light of recent events!
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Greatest ham acting ever

Sent from my CPH1831 using Tapatalk

bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

massive ballsy effort
Edrick The Entertainer
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

bonehead wrote: September 25, 2019, 8:34 pm massive ballsy effort
Yeah, I thought what she did was amazing... I honestly can't see why so many people are giving her **** for just being passionate about doing the right thing.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

It seems to always come back to people are jerks.