T_R
Don Furner

Re: The Politics Thread 2018

Post by T_R »

gangrenous wrote:
T_R wrote:
gergreg wrote: November 24, 2018, 4:23 pm
T_R wrote:
gergreg wrote:Hopefully more people using solar instead of coal with greater investment in renewables, making the technology cheaper and better will help in the longer term?

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk
With what measurable impact, best case?
I have absolutely no idea. But coal is bad and solar is good right?

One would imagine, yes. But at any cost?
If the world depended on it?
The world depends on us installing expensive and cost ineffective battery systems to no measureable benefit?

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

gangrenous wrote: November 24, 2018, 8:35 pm I heard an apparently true story that T_R and 99 mates were beaten up by one guy as they correctly assessed he was a better fighter than all of them and their individual contribution would be no good.
Oh boy, that was laboured. :lol:

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

I’m pretty sure there’s no ‘u’ and the ‘l’ should be capitalised as a proper noun.
Manbush
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Luke Turner

Post by Manbush »

Talking about getting Labored, geez Victoria went well for the Liberals. Nice to see fear mongering not working and Australia resisting a conservative trend around the world.
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
Sossman
David Furner
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by Sossman »

Manbush wrote:Talking about getting Labored, geez Victoria went well for the Liberals. Nice to see fear mongering not working and Australia resisting a conservative trend around the world.
I'm glad the African gangs crap blew up in the Libs faces. That was gutter politics.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

4 Time Boogs Award Winner.

Get tested for VIKING CLAP today. https://www.health.act.gov.au/hospitals ... lth-centre.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

gangrenous wrote:I’m pretty sure there’s no ‘u’ and the ‘l’ should be capitalised as a proper noun.
As was that Image

Sterlk
David Furner

Post by Sterlk »

Quote from the Canberra Times:
Concern about “losing the base” was the best reason many of them could come up with for why Turnbull was ousted. They said Turnbull was turning off the (more conservative) Liberal Party membership.

The problem with this reasoning is quite a big problem. In the United States, politicians must energise their base – in Trump’s case, with extreme and race-baiting rhetoric – to get them to turn up at voting booths.

In Australia we have the blessing of compulsory voting, so your mission is to appeal to as much of the centre ground as possible.
Hits the nail on the head, regarding the 'mechanics of electoral success' in Australia.

At a numbers-game level, the Liberal and Labor parties have to win the centre for success. Playing fringe politics creates dangerous opportunities for the other side to seize the centre and win.

Greens preferences flow back to Labor, One Nation preferences flow back to the Coalition; protect the centre or all is lost. Preferences you bleed to the edges generally come back to you anyway.

The Senate is a different beast, but if you don't have the House you languish in opposition.
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

In the end the liberal party cant help itself but end up shifting too far right.

Equally the labor party cant help itself but shift to far to the left.

The easiest way to get elected when in opposition is a combination of:-
- Put up a person who isnt a union man from labor or isnt a conservative from the libs.
- Shut up about your own policies to not give away the garbage your selling and just point out the drift of the other party.

I can see labor punishing the coalitions conservative drift ( but really a blind man could do that, given what dutton did) but other then that they continue to pump out policies to the left led by a union man.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

LNP is the proverbial dead man walking in Canberra. The only thing that can prevent Bill Shorten becoming the next PM is the Labor party itself. Problem there is the change in their processes brought about by KRudd mean the current leader needs to virtually step aside for there to be a spill.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

There is nothing the ALP can do that would deny Shorton becoming the next PM
and IMO, nothing that will stop him being ousted less than 2 years into that stint.
He'll poll terribly because he's both a bad leader and extremely unlikable, and SOMEONE will knife him. This is what australian politics is.

And the globe will continue to turn.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Pigman wrote: November 27, 2018, 7:48 pm There is nothing the ALP can do that would deny Shorton becoming the next PM
and IMO, nothing that will stop him being ousted less than 2 years into that stint.
He'll poll terribly because he's both a bad leader and extremely unlikable, and SOMEONE will knife him. This is what australian politics is.

Thats the catch. The whole process is now so convoluted they cannot oust him as leader unless he opens the door for it.

The only thing that gives the LNP a glimmer of hope is his presence as leader. Quite amazing that he's trailed both Turnbull and Scomo as preferred PM by a fairly alarming gap despite the ALP being well ahead in preferred party polls.

Of course it woudn't be normal if we saw an elected PM see out their full term. Haven't had that since KRudd's first stint.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

Pigman wrote: November 27, 2018, 7:48 pm There is nothing the ALP can do that would deny Shorton becoming the next PM

tbh I am leaning towards this aswell.

Although I am with northern raider I dont see labor dropping him, they knew he was way less popular with labor people then albo but the union machine and numbers still vastly prefers him.

He will get one term, maybe two at best, if the global economy goes to **** while he tanks australias he might get two, if the global economy keeps kicking on while he does his best to **** people and their wealth he will get one.

Maybe thats the coalitions thinking, is a conservative type govt is best placed to attack labor and they are already conceding this election.
Sterlk
David Furner

Post by Sterlk »

Northern Raider wrote: November 27, 2018, 9:43 pm Of course it woudn't be normal if we saw an elected PM see out their full term. Haven't had that since KRudd's first stint.
Further back, I think. John Howard would've been the last.

Rudd was toppled by Gillard in 2010, then stayed on and re-contested his seat in the 2010 election. Not quite a full term.

If the polls are right and Shorten prevails in 2019, in the last dozen years we'll have had:
Howard - Rudd - Gillard - Rudd - Abbott - Turnbull - Morrison - Shorten
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Sterlk wrote:
Northern Raider wrote: November 27, 2018, 9:43 pm Of course it woudn't be normal if we saw an elected PM see out their full term. Haven't had that since KRudd's first stint.
Further back, I think. John Howard would've been the last.

Rudd was toppled by Gillard in 2010, then stayed on and re-contested his seat in the 2010 election. Not quite a full term.

If the polls are right and Shorten prevails in 2019, in the last dozen years we'll have had:
Howard - Rudd - Gillard - Rudd - Abbott - Turnbull - Morrison - Shorten
I stand corrected.

It's a pretty sorry list. Since KRudd shot himself in the foot and lost his party room it's been a total debacle.

Sent from my SM-G955F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Wow! Liberal party actually going through with this save Craig Kelly nonsense! What is in their heads?!
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

gangrenous wrote: December 3, 2018, 11:51 am Wow! Liberal party actually going through with this save Craig Kelly nonsense! What is in their heads?!
The Liberals are focussed on the power struggle that will take place after the next election. Kelly is a vote for the hard right to assume control of the coalition in opposition.
Sossman
David Furner

Post by Sossman »

Green eyed Mick wrote:
gangrenous wrote: December 3, 2018, 11:51 am Wow! Liberal party actually going through with this save Craig Kelly nonsense! What is in their heads?!
The Liberals are focussed on the power struggle that will take place after the next election. Kelly is a vote for the hard right to assume control of the coalition in opposition.
Sadly when a party loses power its all the fundementalists in the safe seats that survive.

Get tested for VIKING CLAP today. https://www.health.act.gov.au/hospitals ... lth-centre.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley

Morrison looking to change the rules for spills to make sure he stays on as leader while in opposition.
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

much like rudd / shorten.

after the political nonsense of the last 12 years it would be hard to argue that it is a bad thing.
Schifty
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by Schifty »

Craig Kelly going to lose this seat would be the funniest thing ever.

I think Victoria showed that big swings can happen.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

The Politics Thread 2018

Post by gangrenous »

Dear Santa,

For Christmas I would very much like Abbott and Kelly to lose their seats.

Love,
gangers
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley

Morrison is a walking disaster
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

https://www.abc.net.au/radio/programs/a ... a/10422280

I didnt listen to the podcast, just had a good headline ;)
Sterlk
David Furner

Post by Sterlk »

Saw this yesterday:

Andy Serkis, the voice of Gollum from Lord of the Rings, dressed as Theresa May, doing the Gollum voice and talking about the 'precious' Brexit deal.

Whatever your thoughts on Brexit, this is definitely worth watching.
roneel78
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Campese

Post by roneel78 »

Lol thats brilliant

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Schifty
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by Schifty »

As usual twitter had the best take on Brexit.
Hugo Rifkind

Verified account

@hugorifkind

The thing is, the best way to understand Theresa May’s predicament is to imagine that 52 percent of Britain had voted that the government should build a submarine out of cheese.
Manbush
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Luke Turner

Post by Manbush »

Is this who I think it is? No names please to keep the GH out of any potential legal issues.

Edit: just saw overseas news and yep.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

The media reporting on a story they're not allowed to report on. Bless their little cotton socks.

Shoving it in your face since 2017
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

No further posts on this subject thanks.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

EDIT

Sossman
David Furner

Post by Sossman »

The alleged person who did the alleged things is allegedy also a massive ****.

papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

It’s makes a mockery of democracy to have another vote on brexit.

Whether or not they go with this deal or not, if you just keep voting until the minority wear down the majority it makes a sad precedent.

Imagine if aus did the same thing on Ssm.

The issue was raised and done.

If it doesn’t work for them and they want to join back in after a couple of years I am sure the eu will welcome them with open arms.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

papabear wrote: December 14, 2018, 6:17 am It’s makes a mockery of democracy to have another vote on brexit.

Whether or not they go with this deal or not, if you just keep voting until the minority wear down the majority it makes a sad precedent.

Imagine if aus did the same thing on Ssm.

The issue was raised and done.

If it doesn’t work for them and they want to join back in after a couple of years I am sure the eu will welcome them with open arms.
It's the same with the republic, papa. Australia will keep having referendums until we eventually become a republic.

From there, we will never have one to see if we should go back to being a monarchy.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Not a great example Nickman. IMO the only reason the Republic referendum failed last time was the wording of it. ..... "Elected by the parliament/government"..... was a clear tactic by Howard for the vote not to get up.

Shoving it in your face since 2017
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

gergreg wrote: December 14, 2018, 9:59 am Not a great example Nickman. IMO the only reason the Republic referendum failed last time was the wording of it. ..... "Elected by the parliament/government"..... was a clear tactic by Howard for the vote not to get up.

I think it's a perfect example. Because we will in the future have another referendum, and then another, and then another, until eventually we become a republic. And then there'll never be another referendum on the topic.

Not sure why you decided to debate why the last one failed, that's completely irrelevant to my point.