The Politics Thread 2018

Discuss all the events of the day

Moderator: GH Moderators

robtheraider
David Grant
Favourite Player: Chris O'Sullivan

Re: The Politics Thread 2017

Post by robtheraider »

I've always been of the opinion that its very easy for individuals to impose their will on others by highlighting problems / issues then amplify them into something that they are quite simply not.

Whilst I am not ignorant to the many real issues that plague today's society, it always astonishes me that when these individuals are pushed for answers, they don't have any.

If you don't have an answer, I'd suggest that the issue you are agitating about may not be as important as your actions may suggest.

Find a solution and make it happen, otherwise move on to issues that can be resolved.

Constant bickering and the to and fro about a sunject that no-one has an answer to is just a waste of time, energy and resources...and I'm my opinion a good ol' Ricky Stuart style smokescreen or classic aussie ****.

There are far mere important things for the leaders of this country to be focussing energies on, and its about time they got on and did it.
To all the people with telekinetic powers...please raise my hand.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The public holiday for Australia Day has existed since the 1930s (the following Monday, so it was a long weekend), the public holiday was taken exclusively on January 26 from 1994.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Well said Rob.

If Di Natale and co were genuinely concerned about the plight of aboriginal people, he'd focus on more pressing issues than the date of Australia Day.

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Notaroboticfish
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Royce Hunt

Post by Notaroboticfish »

It’s fun listening to dubby tell groups he’s not a part of exactly what they need or want

Sent from my iPad using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

http://www.news.com.au/technology/penta ... 4489942345

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-01-16/u ... ts/9332030

Anyone else feel like we've been here before? A sociopath in the Kremlin and a TV star and pathological liar in the Whitehouse.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Notaroboticfish wrote:It’s fun listening to dubby tell groups he’s not a part of exactly what they need or want

I don't know why I'm still surprised by this, but dubby literally holds the opposite view to me on every single social issue that faces minorities. It really is incredible. Often when it comes to another human being there might be one or two things you disagree with, but he sits on the opposite side of the fence to me in every single issue that faces minorities. It truly is amazing.
Notaroboticfish
Jason Croker

I think last Friday of January would be a good compromise. Keep the public holiday, it’s always a long weekend, keeps the ‘historical relevance’ and it’s also usually not on the 26th

gangrenous
Laurie Daley

The Politics Thread 2017

Post by gangrenous »

What about Canberra Raider fan rights Nickman?

On shifting Aus day, I don’t mind. Might as well shift it so everyone can be included if it’s a big deal to enough people.

Agree that it’s got to stay in summer and away from the other public hols though. Early Feb seems sensible.

I’m not sure it would be my focus though.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Give people New Years Eve as a public holiday. Then put Australia Day on 1 January. The whole country is closed down anyway at that time.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

greeneyed wrote:Give people New Years Eve as a public holiday. Then put Australia Day on 1 January. The whole country is closed down anyway at that time.

So we get one less day off for the year?? Absolutely awful idea.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Notaroboticfish wrote:I think last Friday of January would be a good compromise. Keep the public holiday, it’s always a long weekend, keeps the ‘historical relevance’ and it’s also usually not on the 26th

I reckon first Friday of February so it's never the 26th January again would be my call.
Notaroboticfish
Jason Croker

Yeah, I think that would be fair too

greeneyed
Don Furner

The Politics Thread 2017

Post by greeneyed »

The Nickman wrote:
Notaroboticfish wrote:I think last Friday of January would be a good compromise. Keep the public holiday, it’s always a long weekend, keeps the ‘historical relevance’ and it’s also usually not on the 26th

I reckon first Friday of February so it's never the 26th January again would be my call.
No you get the same number of public holidays. You just take one less rec day at Christmas. Would be a two day party. You have to commemorate something as your national day. Foundation of the Commonwealth of Australia seems the best thing.

Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

Someone has to focus on it or nothing will get done.

My hope is it will lead to constitutional recognition, a republic, a new national day and a brand spanking new flag.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

greeneyed wrote:
The Nickman wrote:

No you get the same number of public holidays. You just take one less rec day at Christmas. Would be a two day party. You have to commemorate something as your national day. Foundation of the Commonwealth of Australia seems the best thing.

Getting a public holiday moved from during the year and jammed into the period I usually get holidays anyway is absolute rubbish and means I get one less public holiday during the year.

I get an extra day of annual leave?? Whoop-dee-bloody-doo, I’d rather the public holiday during the year, thanks.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

You can't just say... let's have Australia Day on some random day! You need a reason to have a public holiday. If it isn't to be January 26, then you need another meaningful day. It can't be... let's just have it in between New Year and Easter!
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

greeneyed wrote:You can't just say... let's have Australia Day on some random day! You need a reason to have a public holiday. If it isn't to be January 26, then you need another meaningful day. It can't be... let's just have it in between New Year and Easter!
Yes it can! It’s a day to celebrate our country, it doesn’t need any particular historical significance, although a day that doesn’t cause offence to a large proportion of our indigenous Australians is probably a good start!
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Let's shift it to 25 January. That's my birthday.
Manbush
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Luke Turner

Post by Manbush »

Make it 1st of August, my birthday and the day the Raiders flogged the Broncos 56-0, both worthy of a national holiday :)
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

I’m telling you all, last Wednesday in April is where it’s at. You’ll thank me when it collided with ANZAC Day and Easter

Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
RTW
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by RTW »

Australia Day is a national day of shame. What other countries celebrate the beginning of attempted mass genocide. If we are fair dinkum about the date we change it by signing a treaty with indigenous Australians and make that our national day.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

What about making Remembrance Day a public holiday?

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk
Shoving it in your face since 2017
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Sure, should still have an Australia Day though
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

RTW wrote:Australia Day is a national day of shame. What other countries celebrate the beginning of attempted mass genocide. If we are fair dinkum about the date we change it by signing a treaty with indigenous Australians and make that our national day.
What are your thoughts on this, dubby?
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

The Politics Thread 2017

Post by gangrenous »

Being picky, but we don’t “celebrate the beginning of attempted mass genocide.”

As a bad analogy, when you celebrate your child’s birthday, you’re not celebrating your wife being in horrible pain.

Of course the analogy is not perfect, but is it helpful to characterise the behaviour as such? Perhaps “what other country chooses to celebrate on a day which represents the invasion/genocide of their indigenous people”?

And again for the record, I’m on board with moving the date.
CJR
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Cotric

Post by CJR »

It’s just a day for getting double time if you’re working and getting on the piss with mates if you’re not. Doesn’t matter what day it is as long is it doesn’t fall on an existing public holiday. Simple as that. Could be September 25th for all I care.

T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

RTW wrote:Australia Day is a national day of shame. What other countries celebrate the beginning of attempted mass genocide.

That is just plain ridiculous.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

CJR wrote:It’s just a day for getting double time if you’re working and getting on the piss with mates if you’re not. Doesn’t matter what day it is as long is it doesn’t fall on an existing public holiday. Simple as that. Could be September 25th for all I care.

I'm all for September 25th! Better than January 2nd.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Dibbers wrote:If Australia Day was to be moved (and i'm neither here nor there on the issue), then move it to Mid to Late Feb, last monday/friday of feb. Its still hot so you can enjoy a nice summers day, its between the Xmas Break and Easter, and you'd get evenly spaced out public holidays (NSW at least, not sure when the other states are...)

Xmas/New Years Day - End of Dec - Start of Jan
Australia Day - End of Feb
Easter - End of March/Early April
Anzac Day - End of April
Queens Birthday - June
Labour Day - Oct

Beautifully spaced out i reckon...
I think some that could find offence about what every one of those holidays represents.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Notaroboticfish
Jason Croker

Idk if you’re serious but the only one out of those I’ve ever seen people complain about are Australia Day and ANZAC Day. And Easter but that’s just because nothing’s open and they don’t really care for it.

The only controversy surrounding Christmas is drummed up by conservatives, and no one cares enough about the Queens Birthday or Labour Day to get too worked up about them

The Vindicated
Brett Mullins

Post by The Vindicated »

The Nickman wrote: I agree with everything you said except for the word "slightly".
Well this is far from the slobberknockers that you and The Crush had back in the day! Trump truly is a powerful man if he can unite us in agreement! :lol: You are the same Nick that I remember, right? :shock:
I would **** LOVE to see Bernie Sanders run in 2020, but I doubt it will ever happen. Maybe if Trump does something truly catastrophic that American people demand change, but otherwise, it'll be the status quo.
He's already started campaigning and all indications are that he will contest for the nomination again at this stage. If the Democrats pick him as their candidate for president is another question entirely, but I think there's a very good chance he will be in the contest again.
The Vindicated
Brett Mullins

Post by The Vindicated »

greeneyed wrote:Unelectable in the USA.
I wouldn't be so sure, GE. It would be a drastic change for the US, there's no doubt about that. Their politics has been very right of centre for a very long time. But I wouldn't say that Sanders has no chance, especially considering how popular he is at the moment. Lets also remember that he is a current elected Senator, so to say he is unelectable isn't entirely true. Granted, winning over the entire country is a much bigger task than becoming a senator, but it's definitely possible.

Sanders is most popular US politician and Trump is least popular

The latest Harvard-Harris poll, conducted between October 14 and October 18, affirms that voters are increasingly favoring Sen. Bernie Sanders and progressivism while President Donald Trump’s favorability continues its downward spiral.

Sanders’ total favorability in this latest poll is 53 percent, and it is highest among hispanics (66 percent) and African-Americans (77 percent). His numbers dwarf other leading politicians’ on the left and right, including Hillary Clinton, Sen. Elizabeth Warren, House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi, and Senate Minority Leader Charles Schumer. Donald Trump’s unfavorable ratings were the highest of any politician included at 56 percent. Only 37 percent of respondents view Sanders’ unfavorably.

Read more: http://observer.com/2017/10/sanders-is- ... t-popular/
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Notaroboticfish wrote:Idk if you’re serious but the only one out of those I’ve ever seen people complain about are Australia Day and ANZAC Day. And Easter but that’s just because nothing’s open and they don’t really care for it.

The only controversy surrounding Christmas is drummed up by conservatives, and no one cares enough about the Queens Birthday or Labour Day to get too worked up about them

Really? Plenty of groups wanting the word Christmas removed all together as it represents a particular religious group.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Notaroboticfish
Jason Croker

The Politics Thread 2017

The only people that ever get offended about Happy Holidays vs. Merry Christmas are white conservative Christians. It’s not a ‘war on Christmas’ as people like to say.

Everyone is perfectly happy for you to say Merry Christmas and to celebrate it. It’s just much easier to use a more inclusive term when you don’t necessarily know which holiday the person celebrates

The Vindicated
Brett Mullins

Post by The Vindicated »

T_R wrote:Vindicated wants an 83 year old in the White House.

Deary me.

Sent from my SM-G955F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
I don't care whether someone is 83 or 23 (like the fantastic new WA Greens Senator Jordon Steele-John is), so long as they are mentally fit for the job and have the right policies. Sanders meets both those criteria. He's only five years older than Trump and only one year older than Joe Biden, who is another potential candidate for the Democrats. Nobody talks about their ages though because they're part of the right wing establishment.

Trust you to be ageist though :roll:

There are some things in this world, Trussy, that will never change.

Some things do change.