The Politics Thread 2018

Discuss all the events of the day

Moderator: GH Moderators

The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Re: The Politics Thread 2018

Post by The Nickman »

Hahaha it's absolutely amazing how much it eats up Labor supporters inside that the LNP got same-sex marriage over the line.

Absolutely kills them.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Also, the only thing Labor will do if (and it's a big IF) they get back into government is completely ruin any chance of us going back into surplus.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

The Politics Thread 2018

Post by gangrenous »

papabear wrote: to be honest you don't sound like a swing voter in this.
I don’t sound like a swing voter in this because the Liberals have spent the last 6 years generally **** up things that I wanted addressed in that period:
- SSM
- Climate/Energy plan
- House prices
- NBN
- Prime Ministers that cook onions before eating them

If Malcolm Turnbull had come in and shifted policies to what he actually believes in prior to last election. I would have voted Liberal. I suspect many others would have also and he would have had a comfortable majority, been able to tell the conservatives to get **** because they couldn’t actually block legislation, or threaten to leave the party and bring down the government. I think he’d still be prime minister with a great shot at going round again, and Labor would have Albanese as leader. The big question is whether that was at all possible, or whether the conservatives could actually have tossed him out before the election if he did try to hit them head on straight away.
papabear wrote: The coalition did put it through, despite great resistance within their own party and from very conservative voters in australia.
The fact that they still have great resistance in their party is a problem for me.
papabear wrote: Labor facing less resistance within their own party did not. Of course the public sentiment wasn't as strong but there was more then enough there NZ got there vote through before labor lost government. All australia had to do was be equal to NZ. Not asking them to be norway or someone more progressive, just NZ.
NZ are far more progressive than us.
papabear wrote: You get credit for what you achieve not for the context people put on it to try and downgrade it.
That’s your view. It’s certainly not mine. Context is very important.

papabear wrote: Equally, if Labor fixed up the tax system, simplified it so there was one effective rate, do you think the coalition should get credit for this because they have in the past been more reasonable with their taxes and less punitive as the coalition? That would be ridiculous.
This analogy is poor. That doesn’t represent my argument at all. The analogy is that Liberals went to an election with a policy on tax reform and lost. Over the course of Labor’s term the public pressure was so great that they were forced to pass tax reform. The version passed was also a less desirable version than that proposed by the Liberals at the election. The credit they get for that is certainly muted by the fact they were forced into it, and went for a lesser offering.
papabear wrote: You give credit where it is due and the coalition get to dance all over the bringing in of SSM. Labor do not.
I don’t think either do. Labor should have passed it earlier. Liberals could really do nothing but pass it now.

Manbush
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Luke Turner

Post by Manbush »

The Nickman wrote: December 19, 2018, 1:41 pm Hahaha it's absolutely amazing how much it eats up Labor supporters inside that the LNP got same-sex marriage over the line.

Absolutely kills them.
I’m not a Labor supporter, voted LNP for many years but I won’t be anymore. They got it done kicking and screaming and in the worst possible manner at great harm to an already marginalized group, a group they are still trying to harm.
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

gangrenous wrote: December 19, 2018, 5:46 pm
I don’t sound like a swing voter in this because the Liberals have spent the last 6 years generally **** up things that I wanted addressed in that period:
- SSM
- Climate/Energy plan
- House prices
- NBN

If Malcolm Turnbull had come in and shifted policies to what he actually believes in prior to last election. I would have voted Liberal. I suspect many others would have also and he would have had a comfortable majority, been able to tell the conservatives to get **** because they couldn’t actually block legislation, or threaten to leave the party and bring down the government. I think he’d still be prime minister with a great shot at going round again, and Labor would have Albanese as leader. The big question is whether that was at all possible, or whether the conservatives could actually have tossed him out before the election if he did try to hit them head on straight away.
papabear wrote: The coalition did put it through, despite great resistance within their own party and from very conservative voters in australia.
The fact that they still have great resistance in their party is a problem for me.
papabear wrote: Labor facing less resistance within their own party did not. Of course the public sentiment wasn't as strong but there was more then enough there NZ got there vote through before labor lost government. All australia had to do was be equal to NZ. Not asking them to be norway or someone more progressive, just NZ.
papabear wrote: You get credit for what you achieve not for the context people put on it to try and downgrade it.

papabear wrote: Equally, if Labor fixed up the tax system, simplified it so there was one effective rate, do you think the coalition should get credit for this because they have in the past been more reasonable with their taxes and less punitive as the coalition? That would be ridiculous.
This analogy is poor. That doesn’t represent my argument at all. The analogy is that Liberals went to an election with a policy on tax reform and lost. Over the course of Labor’s term the public pressure was so great that they were forced to pass tax reform. The version passed was also a less desirable version than that proposed by the Liberals at the election. The credit they get for that is certainly muted by the fact they were forced into it, and went for a lesser offering.
papabear wrote: You give credit where it is due and the coalition get to dance all over the bringing in of SSM. Labor do not.
I don’t think either do. Labor should have passed it earlier. Liberals could really do nothing but pass it now.
Too much quoting expertise for me:-

So I will address your issues:-
- SSM

The Coalition got this done, they were not forced too MT said he would put it to the people and he did. Labor did not achieve this.
- Climate/Energy plan
I am not sure what australia needs is more expensive energy nor am I convinced that this will have a material impact on climate change. That said, I agree that environmental concerns are a massive massive issue something that has never really been a strong point for the coalition.

Expecting this out of the coalition is like expecting labor not to **** the economy up and tax us more.

- House prices

I am so glad you went here!!!!! I love it, I tried to send the conversation this way and failed through lack of interest and people getting jack of me harping on.

House prices in sydney are tanking some stuff is down 20% from 6 months to a year a go. The market sent house prices down and then the market combined with institutional intervention over lending standards and state govt intervention of forieghn investment and stamp duty have tanked the market.

Please go speak to your real estate agent or builder friends and ask them how much more the market needs to tank or how much we need labor in to tank the property market further. TBH I think the imminent threat of labor coming in is already been priced into the market.

- NBN

LOL, this is a winner, I live in a safe seat so I wont have it for a year or two by which time I will probably be on equivalent wifi where the rest of the world is moving.

If we needed anything is upgraded / more cables to overseas market to help our gamers improve their ping against overseas competition.. but really the NBN yay.

FTR I was all for the NBN when it came out, but hindsight being what it is... I would dump 50 billion in far more different directions or just not borrow it and lessen the tax burden or borrowings. I will give the NBN though I still rate it above the current destruction of the city we are doing with the tram line.

This is a product of our system, something neither party can change unless one party had the balls to get a direct vote on the country's leader up.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

gangrenous wrote: December 18, 2018, 7:43 am I don’t have an ideological fervour here. I’m a swing voter. I just am happy to go in for analysis beyond your in depth “they put it through”.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh, excellent

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

papabear wrote:
gangrenous wrote: December 19, 2018, 5:46 pm
- SSM
- Climate/Energy plan
- House prices
- NBN

Too much quoting expertise for me:-

So I will address your issues:-
- SSM

The Coalition got this done, they were not forced too MT said he would put it to the people and he did. Labor did not achieve this.
- Climate/Energy plan
I am not sure what australia needs is more expensive energy nor am I convinced that this will have a material impact on climate change. That said, I agree that environmental concerns are a massive massive issue something that has never really been a strong point for the coalition.

Expecting this out of the coalition is like expecting labor not to **** the economy up and tax us more.

- House prices

I am so glad you went here!!!!! I love it, I tried to send the conversation this way and failed through lack of interest and people getting jack of me harping on.

House prices in sydney are tanking some stuff is down 20% from 6 months to a year a go. The market sent house prices down and then the market combined with institutional intervention over lending standards and state govt intervention of forieghn investment and stamp duty have tanked the market.

Please go speak to your real estate agent or builder friends and ask them how much more the market needs to tank or how much we need labor in to tank the property market further. TBH I think the imminent threat of labor coming in is already been priced into the market.

- NBN

LOL, this is a winner, I live in a safe seat so I wont have it for a year or two by which time I will probably be on equivalent wifi where the rest of the world is moving.

If we needed anything is upgraded / more cables to overseas market to help our gamers improve their ping against overseas competition.. but really the NBN yay.

FTR I was all for the NBN when it came out, but hindsight being what it is... I would dump 50 billion in far more different directions or just not borrow it and lessen the tax burden or borrowings. I will give the NBN though I still rate it above the current destruction of the city we are doing with the tram line.

This is a product of our system, something neither party can change unless one party had the balls to get a direct vote on the country's leader up.
An election hasn't even been called and the housing market currently tanking is already Labor's fault?

TBF though I don't understand how their recently announced housing initiative will work.

However I honestly don't care about all the other policy so long as some action is taken on climate.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

gergreg wrote: December 20, 2018, 12:03 pmAn election hasn't even been called and the housing market currently tanking is already Labor's fault?
I'm not sure that 'fault' is at all the right word - the bubble needed to deflate to avoid a crash. But yes, I think the imminent arrival of Labor to the business side of the House has had a serious impact on housing sentiment. Remember the market responds to a sense of something about to happen much, much more than it does to actual events.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

T_R wrote:
gergreg wrote: December 20, 2018, 12:03 pmAn election hasn't even been called and the housing market currently tanking is already Labor's fault?
I'm not sure that 'fault' is at all the right word - the bubble needed to deflate to avoid a crash. But yes, I think the imminent arrival of Labor to the business side of the House has had a serious impact on housing sentiment. Remember the market responds to a sense of something about to happen much, much more than it does to actual events.
I think the other factors Papa mentioned are legitimate but as we've seen countless times if Labor win they can blame everything that goes wrong, in the first half of their term, on the LIBs. What's good for the goose is good for the gander right?

T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

gergreg wrote: December 20, 2018, 12:52 pm
T_R wrote:
I think the other factors Papa mentioned are legitimate but as we've seen countless times if Labor win they can blame everything that goes wrong, in the first half of their term, on the LIBs. What's good for the goose is good for the gander right?
I don't much care who blames who for what, to be honest. My point was that housing market movements are often swayed by sentiment, and the incoming Labor government will have property investors seriously spooked.
The other factor of course being that with the likelihood of things getting worse with Labor coming in, parasitic exploiters of the decent working people out there, such as myself, are keeping our property investment powder dry until the market hits bottom.

The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

T_R wrote: December 20, 2018, 11:43 am
gangrenous wrote: December 18, 2018, 7:43 am I don’t have an ideological fervour here. I’m a swing voter. I just am happy to go in for analysis beyond your in depth “they put it through”.

Oh, excellent
Hahahahaha I'm not touching THAT dubby trap with a ten foot pole!
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

T_R wrote:
T_R wrote:
I don't much care who blames who for what, to be honest. My point was that housing market movements are often swayed by sentiment, and the incoming Labor government will have property investors seriously spooked.
The other factor of course being that with the likelihood of things getting worse with Labor coming in, parasitic exploiters of the decent working people out there, such as myself, are keeping our property investment powder dry until the market hits bottom.
But there is no proof that if the market continues to fall with a change of government that the fall is directly related to the Labor policy or whether the market is continuing to correct itself from the Liberals time in power. Then it does actually become a blame game and peoples opinion is generally based on which team you barrack for and/or who 'sells the blame game' best doesn't it?

gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

And as for your second point given how self centred I am I'll just wait for your cue to also participate in the exploitation.

The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

All I know is we're about to hit surplus again, there's a genuine feel on the ground that everything's starting to go well again, and if the government changes that'll all flip again.

And then Labor will blame the Libs. ATAOATALPT
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

gergreg wrote: December 20, 2018, 3:25 pm And as for your second point given how self centred I am I'll just wait for your cue to also participate in the exploitation.

Oh TR won't be passing on his knowledge to us plebs. Just laughing all the way to another ivory back scratcher to throw in the pile.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

The Nickman wrote:All I know is we're about to hit surplus again, there's a genuine feel on the ground that everything's starting to go well again, and if the government changes that'll all flip again.

And then Labor will blame the Libs. ATAOATALPT
Where is this sentiment that everything is starting to go well again? All I see is hatred for the current govt, and regular calls of "election now' but then again I do live in a Labor city.

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

I just love how Sydney house prices are always regarded as a national issue.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

gergreg wrote: December 20, 2018, 3:23 pm
T_R wrote:
T_R wrote:
But there is no proof that if the market continues to fall with a change of government that the fall is directly related to the Labor policy or whether the market is continuing to correct itself from the Liberals time in power. Then it does actually become a blame game and peoples opinion is generally based on which team you barrack for and/or who 'sells the blame game' best doesn't it?

Actually, 'market sentiment' tends to move well ahead of policy, no matter whether up or down. I guess you are right - people will interpret the data as they see fit.

Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

The Nickman wrote: December 20, 2018, 3:04 pm
T_R wrote: December 20, 2018, 11:43 am

Oh, excellent
Hahahahaha I'm not touching THAT dubby trap with a ten foot pole!
It's the lack of care about laying said trap that upsets me the most. Like you cant just Frisbee a trap down any ol place and expect people like trip over it like some sort of Big Dogg.
Gangers needs to respect the process.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Im lost

Sterlk
David Furner

Post by Sterlk »

Something I just discovered that's irrationally annoying:

Newspoll appears to not have taken redistributions into account for their predictions. The "breakdown current prediction by" section of their site shows the ACT with two HoR seats - we now have three. I recall the consensus that the redistributions worked more in Labor's favor than the Coalition's... this might end up being a tad more lopsided than the polls predict.

Bean incoming!

Zero guesses as to which way he'll vote.
Schifty
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by Schifty »

I love how they can think this would ever end well :lol:
Schifty
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by Schifty »

Also I think they just eased some restrictions on interest only loans?

But I'm not going to even pretend to know how that is going to effect the housing market.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Schifty wrote:Image

I love how they can think this would ever end well Image
Wasn't there a recent Bill allowing Law enforcement to access encrypted data/info?

gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

T_R wrote:Im lost
Me too. But at least they’re having fun?
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

I loathe both parties at the moment. Neither are fit to govern in my opinion. Clean them out and start from scratch.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Dr Zaius wrote:I loathe both parties at the moment. Neither are fit to govern in my opinion. Clean them out and start from scratch.
Herd them all into a Colleseum and only 1 walks out alive. I've got money on Bob 'crazy eyes' Katter.

T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

gergreg wrote:
Dr Zaius wrote:I loathe both parties at the moment. Neither are fit to govern in my opinion. Clean them out and start from scratch.
Herd them all into a Colleseum and only 1 walks out alive. I've got money on Bob 'crazy eyes' Katter.

I would genuinely be supportive of that in place of the 2019 election.

Not as an ongoing thing, but just to strip the entire parliament out for a sitting. We can live under a strongman dictator for 3 years to get some hard decisions made, then return to our cuddly, dysfunctional democracy from there.

The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

At least we'd get the **** crocodiles sorted out in those three years too!
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Just don't mention his Lebanese ancestry while his **** all over immigration or you'll get the crazy eye. Though, that did make for great television.

Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

The Nickman wrote: December 19, 2018, 1:42 pm Also, the only thing Labor will do if (and it's a big IF) they get back into government is completely ruin any chance of us going back into surplus.
The global economy looks to be on the slide and it will take our economy with it whoever is in charge.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Utterly flabbergasted by the lack of commentary on Schifty's twitter over the reports of a EDIT floating around out there.

I imagine his system shut down in the sheer excitement of it all.

My main source of snide left wing commentary has let me down badly.

T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Scrap that. He's stepped up.

Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

I see Tony Abbott being a real contender to emerge from the proposed battle royale style culling... which would be sub optimal to say the least
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

The Politics Thread 2018

Post by Sid »

I think Uncle Tony X enjoys his role as Special Envoy for Aboriginal Affairs too much to want to be prime minister again
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine