The Politics Thread 2018

Discuss all the events of the day

Moderator: GH Moderators

T_R
Don Furner

Re: The Politics Thread 2018

Post by T_R »

" In Australia, a SME has 200 or fewer employees. Microbusinesses have 1–4 employees, small businesses 5–19, medium businesses 20–199, and large businesses 200+. Australian SMEs make up 97% of all Australian businesses, produced one third of total GDP, and employ 4.7 million people. "

Apparently, I own a 'large' business . My bank account suggests otherwise.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

T_R wrote:" In Australia, a SME has 200 or fewer employees. Microbusinesses have 1–4 employees, small businesses 5–19, medium businesses 20–199, and large businesses 200+. Australian SMEs make up 97% of all Australian businesses, produced one third of total GDP, and employ 4.7 million people. "

Apparently, I own a 'large' business Image. My bank account suggests otherwise.
“Small business” has a variety of definitions and in company tax, it reflects turnover.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

So hypothetically somebody classified as a large business, by the definition you provided, are they entitled to the tax cuts if their turnover is less than 50 million? I guess we'll find out?

What I find interesting is the emphasis on small business, particularly with the scenarios used, ie. the benefits to a small business with a turnover of half a million will save 7,500 (or was it 12,500). So the pitch is clearly targeted to give the impression that it benefits the genuine small businesses but really when I think of small business, one that turns over 50 million per year doesn't fit in that category.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

gergreg wrote:So hypothetically somebody classified as a large business, by the definition you provided, are they entitled to the tax cuts if their turnover is less than 50 million? I guess we'll find out?

What I find interesting is the emphasis on small business, particularly with the scenarios used, ie. the benefits to a small business with a turnover of half a million will save 7,500 (or was it 12,500). So the pitch is clearly targeted to give the impression that it benefits the genuine small businesses but really when I think of small business, one that turns over 50 million per year doesn't fit in that category.

It depends on the provision in the tax law and the turnover threshold specified. There’s no single definition.

FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

greeneyed wrote:
T_R wrote:" In Australia, a SME has 200 or fewer employees. Microbusinesses have 1–4 employees, small businesses 5–19, medium businesses 20–199, and large businesses 200+. Australian SMEs make up 97% of all Australian businesses, produced one third of total GDP, and employ 4.7 million people. "

Apparently, I own a 'large' business Image. My bank account suggests otherwise.
“Small business” has a variety of definitions and in company tax, it reflects turnover.

In Workers Comp, it’s based on their Base Tariff Premium.
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Schifty
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by Schifty »

greeneyed wrote: October 13, 2018, 7:13 pm
gergreg wrote:So hypothetically somebody classified as a large business, by the definition you provided, are they entitled to the tax cuts if their turnover is less than 50 million? I guess we'll find out?

It depends on the provision in the tax law and the turnover threshold specified. There’s no single definition.

News LTD apparently don't make enough money to pay any tax in Australia so hopefully these little battlers are finally given a hand.
Manbush
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Luke Turner

Post by Manbush »

How beautiful it is to see the religious freedom review backfiring, first losing the right to discriminate against gay students and looks like teachers will be their next loss :lol:
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

How could it not backfire?

There wouldn't be a single recommendation the religious nutters would welcome that wouldn't be overwhelmingly rejected by the wider community.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Green eyed Mick wrote:How could it not backfire?

There wouldn't be a single recommendation the religious nutters would welcome that wouldn't be overwhelmingly rejected by the wider community.
These laws have been in place for 30 odd years, and have enjoyed bipartisan support for the entirety of that.

The last time it was raised as an issue, the then Gillard government came out very strongly in support of the right of schools to discriminate.

I agree with you. The 'wider community' may not.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Schifty
Laurie Daley

Post by Schifty »

What about 28 senators voting on an "It's ok to be white" motion based on "the deplorable rise of anti white racism"

No shock to see our local knuckle dragger senator Zed supported this.

Sooner we sell Tuggeranong to NSW the better.

Only name that shocks me there is Birmingham, I thought he had a brain

and obviouisly Gichuhi, I guess she thinks the LNP will give her a winnable senate ticket spot if she keeps voting for stupid **** like this.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley

Where is this anti-white racism. Any examples?
Schifty
Laurie Daley

Post by Schifty »

Green eyed Mick wrote: October 15, 2018, 6:47 pm Where is this anti-white racism. Any examples?
It's more about those black people starting to get similar rights.

Some are probably still fuming we now count them on the census.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Schifty wrote: October 15, 2018, 6:37 pm What about 28 senators voting on an "It's ok to be white" motion based on "the deplorable rise of anti white racism"

and obviouisly Gichuhi, I guess she thinks the LNP will give her a winnable senate ticket spot if she keeps voting for stupid **** like this.
When will you stop hating white people, Schifty? When?

gangrenous
Laurie Daley

The Politics Thread 2018

Post by gangrenous »

I hate all people, but equally

Well pretty equally

I hate some more equally than others... like Phil Gould
Schifty
Laurie Daley

Post by Schifty »

T_R wrote: October 15, 2018, 7:43 pm
Schifty wrote: October 15, 2018, 6:37 pm What about 28 senators voting on an "It's ok to be white" motion based on "the deplorable rise of anti white racism"

When will you stop hating white people, Schifty? When?
When they stop delaying flights.
Schifty
Laurie Daley

Post by Schifty »

gangrenous wrote: October 15, 2018, 7:49 pm I hate all people, but equally

Well pretty equally

I hate some more equally than others... like Phil Gould
I think it's important to distribute your hate like a pyramid.

Certain people like Phil Gould should be on the bottom doing most the heavy lifting.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Dr Zaius wrote:I'll just leave this here.

https://m.betootaadvocate.com/entertain ... gay-staff/
Oof

gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Yeah one of those instances where both party's should just keep their heads down and mouths shut and get on with correcting the mistake.

Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Morrison considering moving our embassy to Jerusalem, gotta help the “end times” prophecy be fulfilled.
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Manbush wrote:Morrison considering moving our embassy to Jerusalem, gotta help the “end times” prophecy be fulfilled.
Oh, give it a rest. He's trying to win Wentworth.

Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley

Cool.
Sossman
David Furner
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by Sossman »

Pretty disappointed that the original right to discriminate for religious schools was a Labor act.

Seems stupid. Its not good policy and even being cynical there are 0 votes in it for a Labor government.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

4 Time Boogs Award Winner.

Get tested for VIKING CLAP today. https://www.health.act.gov.au/hospitals ... lth-centre.
Sossman
David Furner

Post by Sossman »

T_R wrote:
Manbush wrote:Morrison considering moving our embassy to Jerusalem, gotta help the “end times” prophecy be fulfilled.
Oh, give it a rest. He's trying to win Wentworth.
Why not both??!!

Elpasoburritogirl.png

Get tested for VIKING CLAP today. https://www.health.act.gov.au/hospitals ... lth-centre.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Sossman wrote:Pretty disappointed that the original right to discriminate for religious schools was a Labor act.

Seems stupid. Its not good policy and even being cynical there are 0 votes in it for a Labor government.

It's for the same reason that Penny Wong was opposed to Same Sex Marriage for so long.

The SDA is a huge donor, and they are staunchly catholic, at least when not busy actively working against the interests of their members.

Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley

Indonesia reportedly putting trade deal on hold due to Morrison's Israel announcement.
Sossman
David Furner

Post by Sossman »

Ooooof.

Didn't think that one through.
Green eyed Mick wrote:Indonesia reportedly putting trade deal on hold due to Morrison's Israel announcement.

Schifty
Laurie Daley

Post by Schifty »

Nah this is a delayed result of passing Marriage Equality.

Barnaby told us that letting the gays get married would harm trade.
Sossman
David Furner

Post by Sossman »

Schifty wrote:Nah this is a delayed result of passing Marriage Equality.

Windfarms made the frogs gay!

Schifty
Laurie Daley

Post by Schifty »

Also it's a response to sacking our traditional family values deputy PM.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Schifty wrote: October 16, 2018, 6:12 pm Nah this is a delayed result of passing Marriage Equality.

AND HE WAS RIGHT, SCHIFTY

Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Sossman wrote: October 16, 2018, 6:13 pm
Schifty wrote:Nah this is a delayed result of passing Marriage Equality.

Windfarms made the frogs gay!

:lol:

Always extra points for an Alex Jones reference.
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Any chance we can send Morrison to the Saudi embassy to discuss his ideas.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Manbush wrote:Any chance we can send Morrison to the Saudi embassy to discuss his ideas.
How about a parliamentary delegation consisting of most of them?

Schifty
Laurie Daley

Post by Schifty »

Fake email claiming Kerryn Phelps has HIV part of 'dirty tricks' in Wentworth by-election campaign

https://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2018-10- ... fmredir=sm

The best part about this story is somebody used an ISP email instead of a throw away gmail/hotmail account so Police can now easily find out who it is without a warrant :lol: