The Politics Thread 2018

Discuss all the events of the day

Moderator: GH Moderators

-TW-
Mal Meninga

Re: The Politics Thread 2018

Post by -TW- »

Green eyed Mick wrote:
-TW- wrote: July 28, 2018, 8:15 pm Wasn't this supposed to be history in the making?
Was it?
All the talk I heard in the lead up was that labor would be the first opposition in 100 years to lose a seat in a byelection and Bull Shorten would face a challenge from Albo
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Turnbull challenged by Dutton, survived 48-35
Schifty
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by Schifty »

What a complete ****.. Dutton also might be ineligible for Parliament, I'm sure the timing of when the media decided to report that is just a coincidence..

Also when will the LNP that swinging to the far right is what is costing them votes.. WA and QLD showed this when they got cosy with one nation.

Turnbull is the only reason they won the the election, but their faction as well as talkback radio believe Tone would win in a landslide..

Btw Dutton is super unelectable as a PM, he only holds his own seat by 1.6%..=Christopher Pyne is a more viable alternative than that guy.

#PyneMinister
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

It really is diabolical.

Hurry up and split the LNP in two please. Sick of the hard right **** things up for everyone.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Missed a real opportunity here. Prime Minister Dutton would have been absolutely fascinating.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

The next election will be way more interesting with Dutton in charge.
Schifty
Laurie Daley

Post by Schifty »

Bishop and Laundry have said they would resign if Dutton became PM and trigger a new election...
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Green eyed Mick wrote:The next election will be way more interesting with Dutton in charge.
It'll be absolute comedy.

With the climactic farce of him losing his seat as both GetUp et al and One Nation flood his electorate with dollars.

Dutton will be PM by this time next week. Lock it in.

Though I'd drop a couple of bucks on Bishop throwing her hat into the ring...

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

God I hope not
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

He might be PM by this time tomorrow.

Schifty
Laurie Daley

Post by Schifty »

The **** might not even be eligible for parliament, so we could see him becoming PM, the high court finding him ineligible and deputy PM Tone taking the reigns :roll:

This could happen tonight.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Didn't get up tonight, probably tomorrow morning

Trying to get the numbers to call an extraordinary party meeting
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

How can they see that he is unelectable as PM?
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Dr Zaius wrote:How can they see that he is unelectable as PM?
Like Abbott!

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

I honestly can't fathom this. They must be aware that they won't win an election with him as PM. As far as I can tell it's driven by conservatives looking to sure up their seats from One Nation/Katter at the expense of the party. Driven from Queensland of course.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

I don't understand it either.

If the Libs has ANY advantage over Labor in the next election, it's that Turnbull is generally likeable, Shorten is generally loathed.

They appear now to have gone and selected their most disliked MP and are set to make him leader.

This is ugly, stupid and will guarantee a Shorten government with a minimum 15 seat majority.

Manbush
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Luke Turner

Post by Manbush »

Agree Doc, I’d have thought he whole idea of changing leaders was to increase your chances of winning, Dutton will have the exact opposite affect.

People who were going to vote for Katter, One Nation and other right wing parties will still vote for them while installing Dutton will lose votes from any LNP/Labor fence sitters.

Long term it could be good for the LNP though, they’d learn that pandering to the far right isn’t a vote winner, we’re not America.
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

It leaves me seriously considering the Nickman option and drawing a big EDIT on the ballot card. I'd consider myself moderate, left leaning and really don't think that any of the parties represent my views.
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

That would be voting for One Nation Doc!
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Rats off a sinking ship, Turnbull is cooked
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Thank goodness as a Queensland I'm able to vote for the ready-to-lead Bob Katter in the Senate.

T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

And now Scott Morrison has thrown his hat into the ring.

We are presented with a choice between the uncomfortably-jolly-not-actually-a-relation-'uncle' who liked to dress up as Santa every year and a man who almost certainly was developed in a test tube in Brazil immediately following the cessation of hostilities in WWII.

Good times.

-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Would much rather Morrison than Dutton

Would much much rather an election
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

-TW- wrote:Would much rather Morrison than Dutton

Would much much rather an election
It’s a bit like having to decide whether I should support Broncos or Sharks. Two unpalatable prospects.

I guess I’ll vote informal and go for Newtown Jets and Glenn Lazarus.
Dibbers
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player: Brad Clyde

Post by Dibbers »

Giant douche or **** sandwich?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I found a moon rock in my nose....
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Looks like yet again a sitting prime minister is going to be replaced by the party. That makes it 4 in a row with 2 on ech side of politics.

Our political system has become a running joke. I've lost all confidence in the major parties and unfortunately the most powerful minor parties sit on the extreme left and right.

Burn it all down and start again!!!!
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

All hail president potato, in all his glory
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Northern Raider wrote: August 23, 2018, 12:36 pm Looks like yet again a sitting prime minister is going to be replaced by the party. That makes it 4 in a row with 2 on ech side of politics.

Our political system has become a running joke. I've lost all confidence in the major parties and unfortunately the most powerful minor parties sit on the extreme left and right.

As bad as ours is at least we aren’t America.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Manbush wrote: August 23, 2018, 1:39 pm
Northern Raider wrote: August 23, 2018, 12:36 pm Looks like yet again a sitting prime minister is going to be replaced by the party. That makes it 4 in a row with 2 on ech side of politics.

As bad as ours is at least we aren’t America.
That's like Raiders fans saying "at least we aren't Eels fans"
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Looks like it will be a 3 horse race, Dutton, Morrison and Bishop

I'd love Tone to put his hand up, they won't know who to vote for if this thing gets up
Sossman
David Furner
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by Sossman »

This is post of the year material.
T_R wrote:And now Scott Morrison has thrown his hat into the ring.

We are presented with a choice between the uncomfortably-jolly-not-actually-a-relation-'uncle' who liked to dress up as Santa every year and a man who almost certainly was developed in a test tube in Brazil immediately following the cessation of hostilities in WWII.

Good times.
Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

4 Time Boogs Award Winner.

Get tested for VIKING CLAP today. https://www.health.act.gov.au/hospitals ... lth-centre.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Can't wait for the next election so I can not vote
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

There's some talk around that the spill motion doesn't have the numbers at this stage

Right now it has the potential to be hilarious
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

So does anyone see a scenario where Labor aren’t the government this time next year?
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Not really, no.

If they weren't getting punted before, they definitely are now

I honestly would love to see Turnbull give the party the finger, drive out to Government House and dissolve Parliament

If I'm going down you **** are coming with me