The Politics Thread 2018

Discuss all the events of the day

Moderator: GH Moderators

papabear
Steve Walters

Re: The Politics Thread 2017

Post by papabear »

gangrenous wrote:T_R so what if the average fell 5-10% that’d be almost the best option wouldn’t it? It doesn’t fall a long way and screw recent buyers. But it takes some of the heat out of the market (not climbing 30% in a year) and makes it more affordable. That’s 200-300 a month in interest the median homeowner doesn’t need to find in the interest at present low interest rates (worked out against stable prices, obviously worse with a rise) as well as the reduced capital they need to access upfront.

You’re welcome to push up rents if negative gearing goes, be interesting to see how much you were able to pass on long term as buying became a comparably favourable option.

Agree with everyone that decentralising is a better option. Long term solution though so need some short term ones while you start the long term ones.

I don’t really get the two speed market argument. If you’re really that worried is it that problematic to have a geographic boundary for whether it can be negatively geared? I don’t get why existing houses are included anyway if it’s all about improving supply.

I think NR’s risk argument is garbage. Home owners largely weren’t taking a risk or actively investing in property to get the windfalls. They were just living in their bloody house. This from the man who is dead keen on rewarding work (which I agree with). Investors had some risk, but the deck is skewed to those with existing capital to be able to take those risks (wealthy and older generations) and it comes at the expense of the poorer and younger generations. That’s life in most respects, but I believe we should be intervening to balance housing better. Long term it’s better for the country to grow wealth in more balanced fashion.

I think it’s a problem that many Sydney people possibly made as much money in the last 5 years from sitting in their house as they did from the 10000 hours they spent at work. That’s not encouraging working to earn wealth, and not something that needs to be supported through a boom time with investor friendly policy imo.

All in all though reality is it’s possibly too late to do it meaningfully now. Should have been done years ago. Presumably we’re seeing a natural stabilising or small drop now in Sydney because generally people can’t afford to gamble much beyond this point for the time being combined with the regulator crackdown. Depending on forecasts I could be convinced that now it was better for it to stay.
Do you own a house?

Who would hope for the value of someone elses assets to decrease EDIT, respectfully of course :P

If you cant afford to buy now, 5-10% drop isnt going to help you, if you are to much of a bitch to put your money down, a falling market will make you even more of a bitch.
Dibbers
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player: Brad Clyde

Post by Dibbers »

papabear wrote:
Do you own a house?

Who would hope for the value of someone elses assets to decrease you sick **** of a cretin, respectfully of course Image

If you cant afford to buy now, 5-10% drop isnt going to help you, if you are to much of a bitch to put your money down, a falling market will make you even more of a bitch.
I own a house and i wouldnt be too upset if the value dropped 5-10%. Its not an investment for me, its a stable home for me and my family. I have no intention of selling in the next 15-20 years

If you're buying property as an investment, investments come with risk.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
I found a moon rock in my nose....
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Dibbers wrote:
papabear wrote:
Do you own a house?

Who would hope for the value of someone elses assets to decrease you sick **** of a cretin, respectfully of course Image

I own a house and i wouldnt be too upset if the value dropped 5-10%. Its not an investment for me, its a stable home for me and my family. I have no intention of selling in the next 15-20 years

I kind of agree with this. Im not that fussed about variations in the value of my own homes, but accept that risk is part of the game with my investment stuff.

Sent from my SM-G955F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

The Politics Thread 2017

Post by gangrenous »

Dibbers wrote:
papabear wrote:
Do you own a house?

I’m same as dibbers, although I don’t plan on being here as long as he does. If my home price drops 10% I’m okay with that. Particularly as in this case it would still have appreciated at well above CPI for the past years.

I don’t believe this is the first time you’ve had a shot me over this. Maybe it’s you who is a sick **** of a cretin who cannot even fathom a small reduction in their own wealth for fairer opportunities for others?
Last edited by gangrenous on January 20, 2018, 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

papabear wrote:
The Vindicated wrote:
T_R wrote: Ignoring Crusher's typical recourse to infantile name calling in lieu of the ability to formulate a coherent argument, the next election will be interesting. Obviously, Sanders will not be a serious candidate. Even moving on from the fact that he couldn't even roll Clinton, a perpetually unpopular and notoriously dreadful campaigner in the last primaries, statistically speaking he will be dead by the next election for a start. He is more than a 30% chance of dying in office at that age if elected. This was a huge issue for John McCain, you'll recall (who then went on and compounded it with his VP choice).

But the road that the Dems take next time round will be fascinating.

This is a classic 'drover's dog' election, up against the least popular president in history. The absolute last thing that they should be doing is considering a radically leftist option like Sanders. Rather, they need a generationally younger, scandal-free safe pair of hands. Think Terry McAuliffe, Deval Patrick or even John Bel Edwards. Kirsten Gillibrand, who could be the best of the lot, seems to have ruled out running. Any of those guys could run on a platform of 'not being Trump' and get over the line.

It's really up to the Dems to lose this one. I wonder how they'll manage to do it?
Yep, I was right. Some things in this world will never change. You're still just a lightweight living in your little far right bubble. This coming from the Greenhouse moderator that got so angry and flustered when backed into a corner that you started hurling around claims that I had Aspergers syndrome. What kind of abhorrent human being resorts to that? You revealed your true character that day and will never live it down.

The fact that you think Sanders won't be a serious candidate if he runs says it all about how out of touch with reality you really are. He has an enormous amount of support behind him and is the figurehead for progressive change in America. You mustn't have been paying very close attention to the primaries. It's well known that the right wing establishment DNC rigged the contest in favour of Clinton, which they ultimately paid a very high price for. Even establishment Democrats now admit that the process was rigged. Polls from the time indicated that Sanders had a better chance of defeating Trump than Clinton did.

You are right about one thing though, Clinton was an unpopular candidate and ran a terrible campaign. I am of the firm belief that she would have been a pretty bad president. Not as bad as Trump is, but that isn't saying much. Despite her shortcomings, Clinton still managed to defeat Trump in the overall vote count by many millions of votes. Just imagine what the result would have been if the Democrats had picked a popular candidate like Sanders.

Your claim that Bernie is "radically leftist" also reveals just how far to the right you are yourself. In an Australian context, Sanders would be a centrist and is well to the right of the Greens, just as he is well to the right of the US Greens party. Yes, electing him as president would be a shift for America, but recent history has shown that the world is looking for a change from the neoliberal con of trickle down economics. People are sick of being used and abused by the corporate elites and are looking for alternatives. The last thing the Democrats need to do is pick a "safe pair of hands" who will do nothing more than continue the status quo. The real left in particular do not want to be (mis)represented by yet another establishment right winger like Clinton.

Barring some minor exceptions, we are seeing a shift away from both the far right and the neoliberal establishment ever since Trump was elected. He may just be the best thing to happen to the left in a very long time. Short term pain, long term gain. It isn't just limited to America either. Take what Jeremy Corbyn has done in the UK for example. Under his leadership the Labour party has moved from the right to the left. Everyone said he was unelectable and would be decimated in their election. The reality was the complete opposite and he now stands on the verge of becoming the next British PM after making May look like just about the weakest leader in the world.

Here in Australia, the Greens continue to surge. At the 2016 election, the Greens increased our primary vote by and extra 300,000+ and received the second highest swing of any party in the House of Reps (behind only Xenophon, who's vote was almost all confined to SA). No less than six Lower House seats now sit within reach of the Greens at the coming elections (Melbourne, Batman, Melbourne Ports, Wills, Higgins, Richmond) with more on the horizon in the future (Sydney, Grayndler, Brisbane, Perth, etc...). The difference between here and the UK being of course that, unlike UK Labour, the Australian Labor Party is a right wing establishment party which is dominated by it's right faction and lead by a right winger called Bill Shorten. The Greens continue to surge as they are the only party in Australia that actually consistently represents the left, while Labor continue to dominate in the two party preferred polls because the Coalition are just woeful and incompetent.

You can continue to ignore all this and keep living in your bubble if you like, but I prefer not to.
Compared to the USA the labor party here is pretty much like communist russia.

Its all apples and oranges.
Labor aren't communist. They aren't even left wing. For more than 20 years the Australian Labor party have sat on the fence on social issues and on the right of centre on economic issues.
Manbush
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Luke Turner

Post by Manbush »

Oh Trump :lol:

I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
El_Capitano
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by El_Capitano »

Manbush wrote:Oh Trump :lol:

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
How soon IS now?
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

To make it even worse it was at an anti abortion rally :lol:
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

Dibbers wrote:
papabear wrote:
Do you own a house?

When I first bought in, I didn’t wish a downhill slide on the market so I could save some cash on other people’s expense.

I earned saved and bought what I could afford.

As for 5-10 percent downhill, it won’t affect me because I have been in the game for long enough now. But working with people in Perth who bought for 600 2 or 3 years ago and then see it worth 500, your deposit is wiped out, and if it doesn’t come back you are paying off 50kto the bank for nothing, add in the other stresses of marriage, family Work etc that people face and it causes plenty of added misery that the bad outweighs any good for someone who then decides to pop in to the market.

I welcome you to having a chat with anyone who has bought into markets that have fallen and ask them how happy that fall has made them.
Last edited by papabear on January 22, 2018, 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

Malcolms childcare rebate changes are pretty disgusting.

Pretty much 85% free child care for those not working or whom just hold monies in companies without distributing to the income.

Those earning a good wage just get ****.

TBH, after this I am not giving my vote to the coalition, the greens can go jump after I read their views on the economy. Not many options left for me.

I want a party, that does this.

- Changes the company tax rate back to 30%
- Moves the lowest tax rate up to 30% after you earn 5k (moving the minimum threshhold backdown from 20k)
- shift all public wages from judges / to teachers to public servants to policemen, so after the changes there wage is EXACTLY the same.
- If there is a shortfall to the tax man adjust the GST upwards then accordingly, shift above public wages up to reflect the impact on CPI from the GST change.
- Can trusts as an owner of assets or holder / operation of business, your either a company or an individual.

Is that so hard? None of this Bull

And if you want to **** with child care remove the rebate all together and then consider paying for some basic system available to everyone.

I would like a system which aims for equality of opportunity not a constant push for a redistribution of wealth
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

Green eyed Mick wrote:
Labor aren't communist. They aren't even left wing. For more than 20 years the Australian Labor party have sat on the fence on social issues and on the right of centre on economic issues.
Since the coalition changed the Childcare rebate I am happy to have a reason to vote Labor.

In terms of them being right of centre on economic issues, do they have many current policies that prioritize encouraging wealth creation over wealth re-distribution? From recent memory the major economic policies I have heard them are:-
- changes to capital gains tax exemptions
- changes to the treatment of property regarding negative gearing
- Introduction of the mining tax
- increased medicare levy
- rejecting the coalitions company tax cuts (which I support for the record).
- and a bit further back a carbon tax.

Eitherway all of the above are not particularly economically right.

Maybe they would stop subsidising certain industries is about the best thing I can think of for them being on the right?
Notaroboticfish
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Royce Hunt

Post by Notaroboticfish »

T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Wow.. don't have to worry about wire tapping etc. when they're just disposing of confidential files like that
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
Dibbers
Chris O'Sullivan

Post by Dibbers »

papabear wrote:Malcolms childcare rebate changes are pretty disgusting....
The changes to the childcare rebate benefit my wife and I. We have to pay full fee for a couple of months because we hit the cap (son goes 3 days a week), and those are tough months... Childcare is ridiculously expensive.

While i'm not saying i agree with all of the changes, this is one example of liberal policy (and the only one to my knowledge), that has had a positive impact on me... Though i'm sure it screws a large number of people.

My mum actually works at the centre we send my son to, and the amount of govt red tape they have to jump through is ridiculous. I agree that if the govt wants to have a curriculum in place for early childhood education, then Child Care centres should be rolled into the education portfolio and Govt run, not for profit centres be made available.

I feel for families that are forced to send their kids full time, their cap runs out much sooner, are often on lower wages and have to pay $500-$600 a fortnight for months! Private operators are shonky too. Watch fees jump when the changes come in.

Consecutive govt's of all sides have created a society where its nearly impossible to survive and thrive on a single income forcing more families to send their kids to Childcare... there should be a state run option much like there are public primary and secondary schools.
Notaroboticfish
Jason Croker

Kevin Rudd is suing the ABC over the Cabinet files. When I first saw the headline, I thought it was a **** thing to do, but when I looked a bit closer he probably does at least have a bit of a case here
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Pffft. it was only a matter of time before a leak of this magnitude occurred. Cabinet papers are rarely treated in the 'security' manner they are legally meant to be treated.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Sounds like gergreg has experienced some cabinet paper aeroplane competitions in his day.
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Lyle Shelton has quit the ACL to enter politics.
Notaroboticfish
Jason Croker

With Cory Bernadi’s party. EDIT better not get elected; if he does I blame Nickman
Last edited by greeneyed on February 3, 2018, 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Please do not use swear words.
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Haha wicked I see swearing now shows up, well deserved, and yes I’ll blame Nickman as well!
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

This will be fixed as soon as possible. Please be aware that swearing is prohibited on this site, so please use no swear words in your posts.
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

Dibbers wrote: January 31, 2018, 3:15 pm
papabear wrote:Malcolms childcare rebate changes are pretty disgusting....
The changes to the childcare rebate benefit my wife and I. We have to pay full fee for a couple of months because we hit the cap (son goes 3 days a week), and those are tough months... Childcare is ridiculously expensive.

While i'm not saying i agree with all of the changes, this is one example of liberal policy (and the only one to my knowledge), that has had a positive impact on me... Though i'm sure it screws a large number of people.

My mum actually works at the centre we send my son to, and the amount of govt red tape they have to jump through is ridiculous. I agree that if the govt wants to have a curriculum in place for early childhood education, then Child Care centres should be rolled into the education portfolio and Govt run, not for profit centres be made available.

I feel for families that are forced to send their kids full time, their cap runs out much sooner, are often on lower wages and have to pay $500-$600 a fortnight for months! Private operators are shonky too. Watch fees jump when the changes come in.

Consecutive govt's of all sides have created a society where its nearly impossible to survive and thrive on a single income forcing more families to send their kids to Childcare... there should be a state run option much like there are public primary and secondary schools.
Just to clarify the old system you got 50% regardless of what you were on. Plus the Child care benefit which I have never been eligible for so I can not comment.

Now if you are below 65K combined you get 85% back, and over 350,000 you get 0% back. With $250,000 being the 50% cap.

Keep in mind they are all gross figures.

Now if a couple is in a situation where
1 - They are going to earn 250k there abouts regardless with one partner.
2 - Second partner could go to work and earn say $110k.

2 kids child care age.

Their choice at the two sides are:-
- both work and send your kids to child care.
200 days say $140 bucks a day x 2
= $56,000 per year No rebate.
+ 55 net after tax from the second income give or take.
benefit of -1k per year working full time (give me a **** break).
BTW the above assumes income a has been streamed for income tax purposes.

So they choose to say 3 days a week.
120 x 140 x 2 = 33.6 - 15k
= 18.6k per year.
pro rata on 66 less income tax 33 (maybe slightly higher) because even with income streaming you are probably in a better bracket.
= working 3 days a week to be 18k only 5k per year less then fulltime - I also think after the full effect of tax it will be a lot closer.

Finally dont work, dont get the extra 20 odd k per year but have someone full time at home taking care of the children and house and also lose the cost of having to attend work every day.

So the current policy disadvantages the second income earners career, usually the wife. Any policy that encourages wives (second income earners) to stay at home, or encourages people to declare less income on their income tax return is a **** policy.
Dibbers
Chris O'Sullivan

Post by Dibbers »

papabear wrote: February 5, 2018, 12:50 pm Just to clarify the old system you got 50% regardless of what you were on. Plus the Child care benefit which I have never been eligible for so I can not comment.

Now if you are below 65K combined you get 85% back, and over 350,000 you get 0% back. With $250,000 being the 50% cap.

Keep in mind they are all gross figures.

Now if a couple is in a situation where
1 - They are going to earn 250k there abouts regardless with one partner.
2 - Second partner could go to work and earn say $110k.

2 kids child care age.

Their choice at the two sides are:-
- both work and send your kids to child care.
200 days say $140 bucks a day x 2
= $56,000 per year No rebate.
+ 55 net after tax from the second income give or take.
benefit of -1k per year working full time (give me a **** break).
BTW the above assumes income a has been streamed for income tax purposes.

So they choose to say 3 days a week.
120 x 140 x 2 = 33.6 - 15k
= 18.6k per year.
pro rata on 66 less income tax 33 (maybe slightly higher) because even with income streaming you are probably in a better bracket.
= working 3 days a week to be 18k only 5k per year less then fulltime - I also think after the full effect of tax it will be a lot closer.

Finally dont work, dont get the extra 20 odd k per year but have someone full time at home taking care of the children and house and also lose the cost of having to attend work every day.

So the current policy disadvantages the second income earners career, usually the wife. Any policy that encourages wives (second income earners) to stay at home, or encourages people to declare less income on their income tax return is a **** policy.
I get that it disadvantages some. But with my situation, it works out better. Neither my wife or I will be at or near those thresholds of earning. We will actually be better off because the 50% rebate is uncapped. Currently its capped at $7.5K per FY, so we hit it with 2ish months left (1 child, 3 days a week). If you send your child 5 days, you hit your cap much sooner. Based on my understanding, if we were to move up into the next bracket for means testing, we'd still get 50% capped at 10k, so would still get the 50% for the full FY.

Based on current earnings, i still get the 50% paid by CCR (we don't get CCB either), but its uncapped so we wont have the 2 months paying full fees.

For us it works out better. I realise that for a lot of people it doesn't. But i guess the premise is that those that it does impact negatively are generally earning more, where as people that benefit the most are lower income earners who need the help (single parents etc).

Those 2 months in the year are killers for us and we only have one kid.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Why are there only 40 weeks in your years Papabear?
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

I'll be shedding a tear tonight for those couples earning over 300k.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

there are a few errors with my original calcs, gangrenous rightly points out, for some reason I went on the school year instead of the work year. Also I taxed the couple a bit more aggresively the what it is accurate.
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

gergreg wrote: February 5, 2018, 9:13 pm I'll be shedding a tear tonight for those couples earning over 300k.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk
which is the same as the political appetite.

But then why should those couples vote for the coalition when the coalition just **** them?
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

Dibbers wrote: February 5, 2018, 1:16 pm
I get that it disadvantages some. But with my situation, it works out better. Neither my wife or I will be at or near those thresholds of earning. We will actually be better off because the 50% rebate is uncapped. Currently its capped at $7.5K per FY, so we hit it with 2ish months left (1 child, 3 days a week). If you send your child 5 days, you hit your cap much sooner. Based on my understanding, if we were to move up into the next bracket for means testing, we'd still get 50% capped at 10k, so would still get the 50% for the full FY.

Based on current earnings, i still get the 50% paid by CCR (we don't get CCB either), but its uncapped so we wont have the 2 months paying full fees.

For us it works out better. I realise that for a lot of people it doesn't. But i guess the premise is that those that it does impact negatively are generally earning more, where as people that benefit the most are lower income earners who need the help (single parents etc).

Those 2 months in the year are killers for us and we only have one kid.
You become less concerned about the cap (and its removal) once you realise you will be getting none of it in the first place.

Whilst I don't mind the premise that you take from the rich to help the poor, there becomes a point where this concept has been played for that long and hard where it moves from helping the poor to enabling.

Generally, in Australia, there is ample opportunity to obtain wealth, however as "ample" as that opportunity, through decades and decades of governments redistributing wealth there is even greater opportunity just to earn whatever salary ... pay a limited amount of tax and take more in govt benefits then what people are paying in taxes.

For example put two couples next to each other.
Couple A
One couple has two kids, works both work like dogs to earn give / take 200k each both have business loans and all sort of other risks that come with that path.
This couple is paying atleast
-$130,420 in income tax
- budget repair levy
- full freight for 5 days of child care 52 weeks of the year $140 dollars a day x 2 kids = $72,800
- may have other risks in respect of business loans etc
- double the cost of transport to work

Couple B
Wife works a medium job earns 80k, husband stays at home to take care of the family.
- at most $17,547 in income tax
- child care is 80% paid by the government if used (husband is at home anyways), might have to meet an activity test (8 hours of volunteering a week, i.e. go do the bunnings sausage sizzle of a saturday), which he doesnt have to meet if that income from 80 goes below 65k for some reason? Why the government wants people to earn less then 80k and down below 65k is beyond me.
- half the cost of transport
- all the benefits of a stay at home parent.
- should they use the day care abit and then the amount actually paid in tax less the amount the government has to pay for the day care would become almost negligable

To me, it is garbage, that a coalition government imposes a benefit that decreases with income it is demotivating for those that earn by how hard they work.

As the world becomes smaller and people move to more tax advantageous jurisdictions (see the USA and how people will choose different states to live in based on state income tax brackets) it needs to move away from a system that:-
- benefits / encourages needs
- penalise / taxes effort

Because ultimately all you will end up with is people who have high needs and low effort, with people who are effort / profitable / effective people moving to countries that treat that person fairly.
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

FTR I am not suggesting to tax the poor and not tax the wealthy. I am suggesting we treat everyone equally.

Tax 0 - 1,000,000 (to infinity) all at 30% or what ever works budget wise.

With Child Care - either provide it so everyone has the same universal benefits, or remove benefits all together do not play favourites for votes.

To be honest, I know people will disagree with me, but frankly if you are not about treating people equally when it comes to taxation / welfare / childcare / education. Then in my opinion, you are making the world a **** place, one lazy demotivated person at a time.
Dibbers
Chris O'Sullivan

Post by Dibbers »

papabear wrote: February 9, 2018, 9:46 am FTR I am not suggesting to tax the poor and not tax the wealthy. I am suggesting we treat everyone equally.

With Child Care - either provide it so everyone has the same universal benefits, or remove benefits all together do not play favourites for votes.

To be honest, I know people will disagree with me, but frankly if you are not about treating people equally when it comes to taxation / welfare / childcare / education. Then in my opinion, you are making the world a **** place, one lazy demotivated person at a time.
In a world of black and white, yes that will work.

But your analogy infers that people that earn $80k a year don't work hard enough. Based on my experience, earning more money doesn't equate to working harder in all instances. And unfortunately, its not as simple as "Go and get a job that pays $200k a year, what? you can't? then stop bludging".

Fact is, if everyone was able to earn $200k a year by "working hard" then we wouldn't be having this discussion.

My wife works 3 days a week as a social worker, she's a govt employee. She helps people who are victims of terrible assaults (mainly sexual assault of children), works her a$$ off and barely gets a break for lunch. She's regularly contacted on her off days for some crisis or other with no financial compensation. Her full time package would put her on roughly $90k a year. She spent 4 years at uni studying to get to where she is, but because she's decided to help people in need, her earning capacity is capped as there isn't really much of a demand outside of govt for social work, and it's pretty much paid the same.

I never went to uni, i went straight into work in the private sector. I don't work nearly as hard, or have anywhere near the impact on society, and i earn just over $90k pa and can probably command more if I leave my current job (which i'm considering). If we didn't receive the subsidy, or got less of a subsidy, one of us wouldn't be able to work. We wouldn't be able to pay our mortgage, and when my son starts primary school, the one who stopped working will have to try and get a job with a 5 year gap in employment which i'd imagine would be a rather difficult prospect... This isn't a woe is me post about our financial situation, we're better off than a lot of people and knew what our career paths entailed.

So your example is relevant in a Utopian world but we don't live in one unfortunately. Fact is, there are a lot of people on $200k pa that are lazy. I'm pretty sure if 10 million (stab in the dark at number of adults in Australia) all were CEOs or ran businesses the economy would be up the proverbial creek.

Now i agree with the premise that if a parent doesn't work then they shouldn't get a childcare subsidy neccessarily, but without a free option, the child misses out on valuable social skills that are developed in these centres. I don't give a rats about the govt curriculum for my 2 and a half year old, but learning to play and share with others and other social interaction skills can't always be taught at home.

I also think that someone on $200k pa has a greater capacity to afford to pay more for childcare and keep working then a couple on less than that combined. Fact is, any single person on $200k pa can probable afford an accountant that can get them to a lower tax bracket anyway.

I'm still of the belief that all of this would be resolved if the government offered public childcare centres like they do public schools. They already control the curriculum and set ridiculous criteria that centres have to adhere to, they might as well be running them anyway. It'd probably be cheaper for them to do that too.
Dibbers
Chris O'Sullivan

Post by Dibbers »

papabear wrote: February 9, 2018, 9:46 am FTR I am not suggesting to tax the poor and not tax the wealthy. I am suggesting we treat everyone equally.

and one more point, Taxing someone 30% on an income of 60k pa leaves them with a disposable income of 42K (rough maths here). Taxing someone on 200k pa 30% leaves them with a disposable income of 140k. not very equal... and it also makes it significantly harder for people on the 60k pa to "work harder" to earn 200k pa because they're at a significant disadvantage straight out of the blocks... they have to work longer to make ends meet let alone have time to develop skills that'll get them that dream 200k pa job...
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

Dibbers wrote: February 9, 2018, 2:15 pm

In a world of black and white, yes that will work.

But your analogy infers that people that earn $80k a year don't work hard enough. Based on my experience, earning more money doesn't equate to working harder in all instances. And unfortunately, its not as simple as "Go and get a job that pays $200k a year, what? you can't? then stop bludging".

Fact is, if everyone was able to earn $200k a year by "working hard" then we wouldn't be having this discussion.

My wife works 3 days a week as a social worker, she's a govt employee. She helps people who are victims of terrible assaults (mainly sexual assault of children), works her a$$ off and barely gets a break for lunch. She's regularly contacted on her off days for some crisis or other with no financial compensation. Her full time package would put her on roughly $90k a year. She spent 4 years at uni studying to get to where she is, but because she's decided to help people in need, her earning capacity is capped as there isn't really much of a demand outside of govt for social work, and it's pretty much paid the same.

I never went to uni, i went straight into work in the private sector. I don't work nearly as hard, or have anywhere near the impact on society, and i earn just over $90k pa and can probably command more if I leave my current job (which i'm considering). If we didn't receive the subsidy, or got less of a subsidy, one of us wouldn't be able to work. We wouldn't be able to pay our mortgage, and when my son starts primary school, the one who stopped working will have to try and get a job with a 5 year gap in employment which i'd imagine would be a rather difficult prospect... This isn't a woe is me post about our financial situation, we're better off than a lot of people and knew what our career paths entailed.

So your example is relevant in a Utopian world but we don't live in one unfortunately. Fact is, there are a lot of people on $200k pa that are lazy. I'm pretty sure if 10 million (stab in the dark at number of adults in Australia) all were CEOs or ran businesses the economy would be up the proverbial creek.

Now i agree with the premise that if a parent doesn't work then they shouldn't get a childcare subsidy neccessarily, but without a free option, the child misses out on valuable social skills that are developed in these centres. I don't give a rats about the govt curriculum for my 2 and a half year old, but learning to play and share with others and other social interaction skills can't always be taught at home.

I also think that someone on $200k pa has a greater capacity to afford to pay more for childcare and keep working then a couple on less than that combined. Fact is, any single person on $200k pa can probable afford an accountant that can get them to a lower tax bracket anyway.

I'm still of the belief that all of this would be resolved if the government offered public childcare centres like they do public schools. They already control the curriculum and set ridiculous criteria that centres have to adhere to, they might as well be running them anyway. It'd probably be cheaper for them to do that too.
No there is no inference that people on lower incomes do not work hard.

In fact a lot of low income earners work harder then high income earners.

But ultimately money is paid for just those who go "hard" its just about the value of the purchaser.

Ultimately, public service aside, in the private sector you will have to work however hard you have to work for someone to perceive you at that value and pay you that wage, or if you run your own business to deliver / sell that many of what your delivers/sells to earn that amount of money.

It is not the governments role to equalise pays across industries, that is the markets role.

If as your wife may have chosen to, you get into a particular role for other benefits (love of the role, satisfaction, helping others etc etc) not money, and you get paid a fair rate in that given role, then to me everybody is winning.

But to use your wifes role as an example if she is getting effectively
1 day per week No tax
2 days per week - equivalent of 20% tax
3 days per week - equivalent of 25% tax
4 days per week - equivalent of 30% tax
5 days per week - eqivalent of 35% tax

add on the extra dmg taking more days of childcare once you go over your 7.5k she is disadvantaged incentive wise to work days 4 and 5. What kind of society disadvantages those going to work??

Or equally, if her co worker only worked one day a week was under the threshhold and does not have to pay any tax. IE zero tax. so your wife is working harder and therefore she gets the privilige of kicking more in the can to make up for 1 day a week co worker kicking NOTHING in the can.

Yes the person earning 200k can contribute more and should do so, but not at a higher rate then a lower income, they should kick in 60k.

The simple fact is this country for years has been motivating people to do less by redistributing wealth to those who do less, and then as those who do less become more numerous they have more vote and continue the vicious cycle.

For the record, there is no magic with tax, you can risk a lot more claim a lot more Bull but no matter how fancy your accountant is you are taking the risk on yourself same as if you use a cheap accountant and get them to claim a **** more.

to repeat an earlier point, I agree with you that it takes all types to take the world go around, I welcome the efforts from the lowest paid worker to the highest paid worker, but the more you disincentivise working the more you will see people taking less days and working less there is no way around this.

IMO whether a child goes to day care or not isn't really going to work out for them or go against them in the long run, if a stay at home parent wants their child to socialise more they can organise play dates with other kids in there mothers / fathers groups, hang out with cousins kids etc etc.

Also my argument about everyone paying the same, isn't a personal thing, whilst I appreciate your personal circumstances, every single person on the planet from you to clive palmer can give a woe is me and make an argument for more government assistance. It is just about making payments and opportunities equal.
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

Dibbers wrote: February 9, 2018, 2:24 pm

and one more point, Taxing someone 30% on an income of 60k pa leaves them with a disposable income of 42K (rough maths here). Taxing someone on 200k pa 30% leaves them with a disposable income of 140k. not very equal... and it also makes it significantly harder for people on the 60k pa to "work harder" to earn 200k pa because they're at a significant disadvantage straight out of the blocks... they have to work longer to make ends meet let alone have time to develop skills that'll get them that dream 200k pa job...
Ok, I am not sure if you are making this point out of spite because of how our house conversation went down. But to me, it is a weak argument.

If they are taxed at the same rate it is equal, 60k is 30% of that persons income just as 18k is 30% of the other persons income.

To be honest the only way to make it more equal would be to tax people per unit for the goods and services sort of like how council does with council rates.

The only reason progressive pricing is allowed on taxes, is because it is popular amongst those who earn nothing or are on lower incomes comparatively (which is a large amount of the voting populus in australia given everyone over 18 can vote, which includes, student DSP, Job seekers, retirees, the list goes on and on.)

But imagine if other governments and business started doing progressive pricing based on your income.
- bread and milk, lets go $10 for the high income earner 10 cents for the low, $2 for the middle.
- petrol $10 per litre for TR, $2 for you, 10c for manbush
- library books $10 a book for TR , $2 for you, free for manbush
- water rates - $10 ML for TR $2 for you, free for manbush
- BMW - $1M for TR, $200k for you, $2k for manbush

The list goes on.

But I am not here saying we should all pay the same flat rate of 10k per year per person in income tax, just the same rate and not have luxury / penalty tax for earning over the govt deemed celery cap.

furthermore, If you are arguing that people should be taxed at such an amount so we all have the same disposable income, lets put that at 40k? then why on earth would you work hard, aim to improve /get promoted at all when no matter what you do once your working your getting 40k? I didnt work with communism, but I suppose it is the direction we are headed and quite frankly it is the path you arguing us to move toward.
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

I know it seems crazy.

But in my world, two people who have the same role, deliver the same job.
one person works 1 day a week
one person works 2 days a week.

The person working two days a week should earn after tax twice the amount of money as someone working one day a week.

THIS IS NOT THE SYSTEM WE HAVE NOW!