Discuss all the events of the day

Moderator: GH Moderators

T_R
Don Furner

Re: The Politics Thread 2017

Post by T_R »

Green eyed Mick wrote:
dubby wrote:
gangrenous wrote:Thing is dubby, some opinions are not worthy of respect.
But we can respect the liberty that allows that person to have an opinion
Freedom of speech is not consequence free speech. If you say something that is baseless, discriminatory or hurtful than you have to take the response on the chin.

Jerusalem doesn't belong to Israel. Your comment was historically inaccurate and inflammatory.
This post opens the potential for action under 18C.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Manbush wrote:
dubby wrote:
Manbush wrote:You can respect the right to an opinion but it doesn’t mean you need to respect said opinion. As I regularly say people deserve respect opinions/ideas/beliefs do not, we never know what experiences have led people to certain views.

Just on the history though I only care about demonstrable history, things that we have evidence for, the Torah and Bible should not come into it unless they can be proven, they’ve been shown to be unreliable.
I had a chuckle.
Your first para is exactly what I've been saying.

Then you finish with a clanger in your last sentence. Image
Even our old resident Jew Albi highlighted how some of the stuff never actually occurred and were just myths like the mass exodus and science backs it up then there’s the whole god gave them the land, a claim as big as that needs to be supported by evidence to have any legitimacy, Hitchens’s razor.
Our old Jew Albi wasn't the slightest bias in his opinions either Image
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

dubby wrote:Well that could be considered glib, gerg. But I don't think you're that sort of guy.

I used both faith and medicine. I dont think science replaces faith or vice versa, particularly with medicine.
Sorry Dubby just having a sneaky jibe, no harm intended. So long as you are (getting) happy and healthy it doesn't matter how it's done. When I was crook a few years back I used naturopathy and tai chi/self healing meditation to get better.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk
Shoving it in your face since 2017
Manbush
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Luke Turner

Post by Manbush »

dubby wrote:
Manbush wrote:
dubby wrote:
Manbush wrote:You can respect the right to an opinion but it doesn’t mean you need to respect said opinion. As I regularly say people deserve respect opinions/ideas/beliefs do not, we never know what experiences have led people to certain views.

Just on the history though I only care about demonstrable history, things that we have evidence for, the Torah and Bible should not come into it unless they can be proven, they’ve been shown to be unreliable.
I had a chuckle.
Your first para is exactly what I've been saying.

Then you finish with a clanger in your last sentence. Image
Even our old resident Jew Albi highlighted how some of the stuff never actually occurred and were just myths like the mass exodus and science backs it up then there’s the whole god gave them the land, a claim as big as that needs to be supported by evidence to have any legitimacy, Hitchens’s razor.
Our old Jew Albi wasn't the slightest bias in his opinions either Image
Haha true but the evidence supports his bias.
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Yeah, I can't say I disagree with too much Albi says about society in general.

He and dubby are almost complete polar opposites.
Notaroboticfish
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Royce Hunt

Post by Notaroboticfish »

Btw, Sam Dastyari announced he won’t return to the senate in 2018 today

Sent from my iPad using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

Notaroboticfish wrote:Btw, Sam Dastyari announced he won’t return to the senate in 2018 today

Good.

I wonder how many more politicians are on the receiving end of foreign money via Australian registered corporations?
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Green eyed Mick wrote:
Notaroboticfish wrote:Btw, Sam Dastyari announced he won’t return to the senate in 2018 today

Good.

I wonder how many more politicians are on the receiving end of foreign money via Australian registered corporations?
Probably quite a few. Dastyari was just terrible at covering it up.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

If anyone is interested (it's a bit of a read), here's a really good summary of the Israel/Palestine conflict since Israel's formation in 1947 and what Trump's latest decision actually means.

https://newmatilda.com/2017/12/12/expla ... l-matters/
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Took far too long.
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

The Nickman wrote:If anyone is interested (it's a bit of a read), here's a really good summary of the Israel/Palestine conflict since Israel's formation in 1947 and what Trump's latest decision actually means.

Geez reading through that the international community has really sat back and let Israel screw Palestine even more than I realized, I knew it was bad but **** :doubt:
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
Cranky Old Man
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Sam Backo

Post by Cranky Old Man »

Manbush wrote:
The Nickman wrote:If anyone is interested (it's a bit of a read), here's a really good summary of the Israel/Palestine conflict since Israel's formation in 1947 and what Trump's latest decision actually means.

Geez reading through that the international community has really sat back and let Israel screw Palestine even more than I realized, I knew it was bad but **** :doubt:
I have been to Israel, and spent a very short time relieving there back in the day. It is almost impossible to overstate the unrelieved horrors imposed on the Palestinians in an almost casual but carefully calibrated fashion by the Israelis. Sadly, about the only comparison I can make is with the Nazi occupation of Europe without the Final Solution for the Jews.
That is a bit glib, but you get my point.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Cranky Old Man wrote:
Manbush wrote:

I have been to Israel, and spent a very short time relieving there back in the day. It is almost impossible to overstate the unrelieved horrors imposed on the Palestinians in an almost casual but carefully calibrated fashion by the Israelis. Sadly, about the only comparison I can make is with the Nazi occupation of Europe without the Final Solution for the Jews.
That is a bit glib, but you get my point.
It's pretty horrible stuff, and completely illegal by international law and considered that by the entire international community except for the US.

That's why Trump's actions actually legitimise Israel's occupation of East Jerusalem, and have been wholeheartedly condemned by every nation on the planet, as evidenced by this report:

https://www.trtworld.com/middle-east/is ... gJh_fD_BwE
Toviii
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Rapana

Post by Toviii »

Bermuda may soon be the first in the world to reverse marriage equality: http://www.mambaonline.com/2017/12/12/b ... -6-months/

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
'I've got 17 blokes in that dressing room that are hurting'
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

In other news, dubby's about to move to Bermuda.
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

The guys face is almost as funny as Katter

Notaroboticfish
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Royce Hunt

Post by Notaroboticfish »

Manbush wrote:The guys face is almost as funny as Katter

****?? Image

gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Toviii wrote:Bermuda may soon be the first in the world to reverse marriage equality: http://www.mambaonline.com/2017/12/12/b ... -6-months/

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
We already have that title depending on how you define repealing equality...
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley

It's amazing what people will let their government's get away with in the name of national security.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

The Nickman wrote:In other news, dubby's about to move to Bermuda.
You just want me to disappear
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Another Trump legacy, net neutrality is dead.
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

The Royal Commission has released its 21 volume report with 400 recommendations, from the small bits I’ve seen they’ve been particularly harsh on the Catholic Church.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley

Manbush wrote:Another Trump legacy, net neutrality is dead.
We're living in a black mirror episode. Best just sit back and enjoy it.
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

So have any of you mad shaggers tied the knot under the new legislation yet?
This place is woke.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

That's an Obama legacy, that's been going on since 2014

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

-TW- wrote:

The FCC is repealing the Obama era net neutrality laws, Obama tried to protect it from paid prioritisation and throttling of services.

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter ... -internet/
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Manbush wrote:Just on the history though I only care about demonstrable history, things that we have evidence for, the Torah and Bible should not come into it unless they can be proven, they’ve been shown to be unreliable.
The Torah especially. Can’t stand her, and Chumpy Pullin for that matter
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

The Politics Thread 2017

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Manbush wrote:
-TW- wrote:

The FCC is repealing the Obama era net neutrality laws, Obama tried to protect it from paid prioritisation and throttling of services.

Ugh, in other news, the FCC won’t let me be. Or let me be me, so let’s just see
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:
Manbush wrote:
-TW- wrote:

Ugh, in other news, the FCC won’t let me be. Or let me be me, so let’s just see
Thanks Dr Seuss
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Read the headline, said who cares, closed the article
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley

I read the article. An opinion on someone else's opinion on a topic where people on all sides of the spectrum are struggling for common sense.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

I couldn't get pastthe first paragraph

Sent from my [device_name] using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Ah America, now threatening countries that don’t vote with them in regards to Israel