dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Re: The Politics Thread 2017

Post by dubby »

reptar wrote:Good morning dubs!
Good afternoon reptar, Frank and Violet

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by reptar »

dubby wrote:

They're both freaking out because I got the suitcase out!
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

reptar wrote:
dubby wrote:

They're both freaking out because I got the suitcase out!
Ha ha ha. I tried uploading a photo of max but the app won't let me.

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

If you go into advanced editor you can.. otherwise it makes you write on the post as well

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by reptar »

It's been quiet in here!!
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Thank goodness. Disgusting scenes.
Raidersfan
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: George Clooney

Post by Raidersfan »

gangrenous wrote:Thank goodness. Disgusting scenes.
Definitely was when you were posting
I don't post facts
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Raidersfan wrote:
Manbush wrote:But you've admitted they don't have exactly the same rights and that's purely due to sexuality, which is the definition of inequality and discrimination.
I have stated that rights are essentially the same with very few minor differences of which I don't fully understand. People are not discriminated based on sexuality in this country.
Doesn't these two sentences, back to **** back I might add, just sum the entire no vote up?
Raidersfan
Ruben Wiki

Post by Raidersfan »

bahahahahaha .. the Pig puffing away at a few embers .. great laugh
I don't post facts
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Raidersfan wrote:bahahahahaha .. the Pig puffing away at a few embers .. great laugh
Rather than strutting around, take a moment to re-read what both of you have written.

I thought his point was pretty cutting, actually.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Raidersfan
Ruben Wiki

Post by Raidersfan »

T_R wrote:
Raidersfan wrote:bahahahahaha .. the Pig puffing away at a few embers .. great laugh
Rather than strutting around, take a moment to re-read what both of you have written.

Good for you
I don't post facts
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Raidersfan wrote:
T_R wrote:

Good for you
Ok, I tried.

You invite the contempt and mockery you've been subjected to in this thread, and you deserve all you get.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Raidersfan
Ruben Wiki

Post by Raidersfan »

T_R wrote:
Raidersfan wrote:
T_R wrote:

Good for you
Ok, I tried.

You invite the contempt and mockery you've been subjected to in this thread, and you deserve all you get.
White with no sugar thanks .. 19 deg and sunny here tomorrow .. what's it like you way ?
I don't post facts
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

The Politics Thread 2017

Post by Botman »

Let me provide a breakdown of what those two sentences actually said:

I have stated that rights are essentially the same with a few minor differences of which I don't fully understand. People are not discriminated based on sexuality in this country

=

I have stated that rights are essentially the same except I know, and confess free that they actually aren't. When I say a few minor differences I make the concession that actually the rights ARE different and they are different in a way that I freely concede I don't understand. But despite freely admitting the laws ARE different and in ways that I don't understand I can categorically state, despite testimony of those who, y'know, actually live with these laws, that people are not discriminated against based on sexuality in this country.
Raidersfan
Ruben Wiki

Post by Raidersfan »

*tumbleweed
I don't post facts
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

But the rights aren't the same, are they? I mean, and just as an example here, are same sex couples allowed to be married?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The Nickman wrote:But the rights aren't the same, are they? I mean, and just as an example here, are same sex couples allowed to be married?
No, they're not allowed to be married. That's why they're having a postal opinion poll. Because the rights are not equal right now. There's no equality in rights now.
Raidersfan
Ruben Wiki

Post by Raidersfan »

*yawn
Last edited by greeneyed on September 10, 2017, 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Inappropriate comment
I don't post facts
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

greeneyed wrote:
The Nickman wrote:But the rights aren't the same, are they? I mean, and just as an example here, are same sex couples allowed to be married?
No, they're not allowed to be married. That's why they're having a postal opinion poll. Because the rights are not equal right now. There's no equality in rights now.
So, and let me get this right... what you're saying is, same sex couples currently are not allowed to get married in this country? Is that correct??

Because if that's correct, that doesn't sound like equal rights at all!
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

The best thing about your last two posts, Bay... is that you're still making just as valid an argument as you have to date why same sex couples shouldn't be allowed to be married in this country
Raidersfan
Ruben Wiki

Post by Raidersfan »

*watching the persecution of the Jews by the nazis on NG
I don't post facts
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Raidersfan wrote:*watching the persecution of the Jews by the nazis on NG
Yeah, it's pretty horrible when people discriminate against other people based on their race, religion, sex or sexual preference, isn't it?
Raidersfan
Ruben Wiki

Post by Raidersfan »

reptar wrote:It's been quiet in here!!
Went off a bit early dude

haha
I don't post facts
Manbush
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Luke Turner

Post by Manbush »

Raidersfan wrote:*watching the persecution of the Jews by the nazis on NG
"Gott Mit Uns", geez it's easy to rally people to an evil cause with the right inspiration
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

There's been a whole lot of posting in this thread in the last couple of days that breaks forum guidelines. So all that's deleted. I can't be bothered editing the offending material. The thread will be locked if hateful, discriminatory terms and personal attacks re-emerge.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

greeneyed wrote:There's been a whole lot of posting in this thread in the last couple of days that breaks forum guidelines. So all that's deleted. I can't be bothered cleaning it up. The thread will be locked if hateful, discriminatory terms and personal attacks re-emerge.
Some of us were having a polite conversation about North Korea.

Can we please conduct a poll on whether we should ban Bay from the GH? I can't imagine Bay would have a problem with other people deciding if he should be allowed access to the GH.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

I also was going to post that they could've cleaned 95% of the thread up by just deleting one poster (again), but GeM kindof beat me to it.

Also, it's a shame the North Korea discussion got deleted... said poster hadn't got involved and it was a good conversation.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Well it was way too much work for me. I'm sick. I don't have time or patience for it.
Raidersfan
Ruben Wiki

Post by Raidersfan »

^^^^

get well soon ge

My wife was sick for 2 weeks .. couldn't cook the entire time .. takeaways aren't the same
I don't post facts
Raidersfan
Ruben Wiki

Post by Raidersfan »

Green eyed Mick wrote:Can we please conduct a poll on whether we should ban Bay from the GH? I can't imagine Bay would have a problem with other people deciding if he should be allowed access to the GH.
A non-binding poll of course
I don't post facts
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

Raidersfan wrote:
Green eyed Mick wrote:Can we please conduct a poll on whether we should ban Bay from the GH? I can't imagine Bay would have a problem with other people deciding if he should be allowed access to the GH.
Lol, just because you dont like someones opinion doesnt mean you silence that opinion.

Allow everyone to speak, post, voice their opinion and then voice yours in return.

Forums die a quick death when they start moderating what opinion should be as opposed to just enforcing the rules/guidelines.
Dibbers
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player: Brad Clyde

Post by Dibbers »

papabear wrote:
Raidersfan wrote:
Lol, just because you dont like someones opinion doesnt mean you silence that opinion.

Allow everyone to speak, post, voice their opinion and then voice yours in return.

Forums die a quick death when they start moderating what opinion should be as opposed to just enforcing the rules/guidelines.
I think it was more the name calling and personal attacks as opposed to people being either for or against a particular issue for GEs reasoning....

On another issue, does anyone know how you start a political party (that question i posed fell victim to GEs cull...)?

I want to provide Australians with an alternative to career politicians. I'm accepting resumes for key members of cabinet... but be warned, this isn't your usual political party... Common Sense and Logic are at the core of my party. So if you apply for the role of Treasurer and under "Previous Experience" all you include is "I worked the registers at McDonalds when i was 15", you're resume will immediately be forwarded to the Labour and Liberal parties... please don't expect a response from them, you'd probably be considered over qualified...
I found a moon rock in my nose....
Raidersfan
Ruben Wiki

Post by Raidersfan »

Dibbers wrote:
papabear wrote:
Raidersfan wrote:

I think it was more the name calling and personal attacks as opposed to people being either for or against a particular issue for GEs reasoning....
Yup poor dubby got the brunt of it.

I don't post facts
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

I'm happy to apply for the position of minister for alcohol and gambling, dibbers