Orlando

Discuss all the events of the day

Moderator: GH Moderators

User avatar
The Rickman
Mal Meninga
Posts: 42281
Joined: June 25, 2012, 9:53 am
Favourite Player: Hodgo
Location: Rockhampton, Central Queensland

Re: Orlando

Post by The Rickman » June 21, 2016, 8:39 am

Oh ok guys, it's ok. Manbush knows two victims of domestic abuse so he's an expert on the topic now.

Case closed, nothing to see here, lock her up.
Image
2012 Golden Boogs Newbie of the Year
2013 'Nella Awards Best Punter
2013 Boogs Thread of the Year ~ The Betting Thread
2014 Boogs Matthew Elliott Award Winner
2014 Boogs some award with Hanbush

User avatar
Schifty
Laurie Daley
Posts: 16308
Joined: March 14, 2010, 4:00 pm
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Re: Orlando

Post by Schifty » June 21, 2016, 8:46 am

That's a very interesting use of the word "let"....

So what would happen if she did call the cops prior to this and he just denies everything and is let go.. I'm sure she would be fine when he gets home......

User avatar
Manbush
Mal Meninga
Posts: 24589
Joined: March 14, 2008, 6:55 pm
Favourite Player: Luke Turner

Re: Orlando

Post by Manbush » June 21, 2016, 8:48 am

Never said I'm an expert mate, one was my auntie when I was a kid I only learnt of it when I grew up and tore mum and dad to shreds for letting it continue the other was a housemate and her boyfriend, none of us (7 of us lived in the house) realised at the time.

Just 49 people are dead because of it.
"My own opinion is enough for me and I claim the right to have it defended against any consensus, any majority, anywhere, any place, any time, and anyone who disagrees with this can pick a number, get in line and kiss my ass" Christopher Hitchens

User avatar
The Rickman
Mal Meninga
Posts: 42281
Joined: June 25, 2012, 9:53 am
Favourite Player: Hodgo
Location: Rockhampton, Central Queensland

Re: Orlando

Post by The Rickman » June 21, 2016, 8:48 am

Once again Manbush proves that he has absolute ZERO idea of the world outside his narrow-minded bubble that he lives in.

Everything is jut so black and white for him, he just can't even bear to contemplate that the world is varying shades of grey.
Image
2012 Golden Boogs Newbie of the Year
2013 'Nella Awards Best Punter
2013 Boogs Thread of the Year ~ The Betting Thread
2014 Boogs Matthew Elliott Award Winner
2014 Boogs some award with Hanbush

User avatar
Manbush
Mal Meninga
Posts: 24589
Joined: March 14, 2008, 6:55 pm
Favourite Player: Luke Turner

Re: Orlando

Post by Manbush » June 21, 2016, 8:53 am

There are definitely greys mate
"My own opinion is enough for me and I claim the right to have it defended against any consensus, any majority, anywhere, any place, any time, and anyone who disagrees with this can pick a number, get in line and kiss my ass" Christopher Hitchens

User avatar
The Rickman
Mal Meninga
Posts: 42281
Joined: June 25, 2012, 9:53 am
Favourite Player: Hodgo
Location: Rockhampton, Central Queensland

Re: Orlando

Post by The Rickman » June 21, 2016, 9:04 am

Leave my beard out of this, pal
Image
2012 Golden Boogs Newbie of the Year
2013 'Nella Awards Best Punter
2013 Boogs Thread of the Year ~ The Betting Thread
2014 Boogs Matthew Elliott Award Winner
2014 Boogs some award with Hanbush

Professor
Steve Walters
Posts: 7434
Joined: August 13, 2008, 3:39 pm
Favourite Player: Bae
Location: Canberra

Re: Orlando

Post by Professor » June 21, 2016, 9:15 am

The Nickman wrote:
simo wrote:The most ridiculous thing ive read is that her being abused by her partner is no excuse for not stopping him. The psychological effects of domestic violence are something that i dont understand completely myself, but i am damn sure they are horrible. We'd all do well not to downplay them
Exactly simo. Exactly. I'm amazed by people's attitudes here to something they clearly don't understand.
Well I must fit in "people", Nick, and I've not sought to downplay her situation. In fact, I said earlier in this thread that she was in an unwinnable position and that it's a position I do not envy. That said - and I'm not suggesting I know the exact path she could have gone down here - 50 innocent people are dead; all of whom had zero say in the matter.

I guess what I'm saying is, I would hate to think that domestic violence has become that bad both here and abroad that it can have flow on effects to mass murders.

I've said many a year ago on here also that domestic violence within and around my immediate family and friends is not something I'm really aware of, so I'm only educated from what I read and see.

Maybe that's why I'm not 100 percent excusing her silence. I don't know.

Professor
Steve Walters
Posts: 7434
Joined: August 13, 2008, 3:39 pm
Favourite Player: Bae
Location: Canberra

Re: Orlando

Post by Professor » June 21, 2016, 9:20 am

Manbush wrote:Never said I'm an expert mate, one was my auntie when I was a kid I only learnt of it when I grew up and tore mum and dad to shreds for letting it continue the other was a housemate and her boyfriend, none of us (7 of us lived in the house) realised at the time.

Just 49 people are dead because of it.
Hahahahahahaha did Nick just made a lucky guess of it being two?

User avatar
simo
Bradley Clyde
Posts: 8365
Joined: March 12, 2013, 7:50 pm
Favourite Player: Keghead

Re: Orlando

Post by simo » June 21, 2016, 9:27 am

Having a mrs who is a social worker has taught ne a few things about it. It's debilitating for the victim. They fear their partners more than anything, even if theyre locked away. It is far more widespread than we will ever know. Its hard to come to terms with as (hopefully) all of us here are not in such a relationship or had someone close involved in one.
Dont delete this GE

User avatar
Manbush
Mal Meninga
Posts: 24589
Joined: March 14, 2008, 6:55 pm
Favourite Player: Luke Turner

Re: Orlando

Post by Manbush » June 21, 2016, 9:30 am

Raider 85 wrote:
Manbush wrote:Never said I'm an expert mate, one was my auntie when I was a kid I only learnt of it when I grew up and tore mum and dad to shreds for letting it continue the other was a housemate and her boyfriend, none of us (7 of us lived in the house) realised at the time.

Just 49 people are dead because of it.
Hahahahahahaha did Nick just made a lucky guess of it being two?
Nah I had done a longer post but thought better to try and get out of it so I edited it down before I realised Nickman had responded.
"My own opinion is enough for me and I claim the right to have it defended against any consensus, any majority, anywhere, any place, any time, and anyone who disagrees with this can pick a number, get in line and kiss my ass" Christopher Hitchens

User avatar
Manbush
Mal Meninga
Posts: 24589
Joined: March 14, 2008, 6:55 pm
Favourite Player: Luke Turner

Re: Orlando

Post by Manbush » June 21, 2016, 9:32 am

The Nickman wrote:Leave my beard out of this, pal
Mate I'd kill for grey beard, a lot better than a bloody ranga one, bloody dads genes only show through there.
"My own opinion is enough for me and I claim the right to have it defended against any consensus, any majority, anywhere, any place, any time, and anyone who disagrees with this can pick a number, get in line and kiss my ass" Christopher Hitchens

Professor
Steve Walters
Posts: 7434
Joined: August 13, 2008, 3:39 pm
Favourite Player: Bae
Location: Canberra

Re: Orlando

Post by Professor » June 21, 2016, 9:34 am

Manbush wrote:
Raider 85 wrote:
Manbush wrote:Never said I'm an expert mate, one was my auntie when I was a kid I only learnt of it when I grew up and tore mum and dad to shreds for letting it continue the other was a housemate and her boyfriend, none of us (7 of us lived in the house) realised at the time.

Just 49 people are dead because of it.
Hahahahahahaha did Nick just made a lucky guess of it being two?
Nah I had done a longer post but thought better to try and get out of it so I edited it down before I realised Nickman had responded.
Oh, I thought Nick exhibiting a correct prediction was a bit beyond him.

User avatar
Manbush
Mal Meninga
Posts: 24589
Joined: March 14, 2008, 6:55 pm
Favourite Player: Luke Turner

Re: Orlando

Post by Manbush » June 21, 2016, 9:39 am

Raider 85 wrote:
I've said many a year ago on here also that domestic violence within and around my immediate family and friends is not something I'm really aware of
Scarey thing is it could be happening under your nose, the housemate of mine we were 7 (5 girls 2 guys) good mates straight out of school, none of us had a clue it was happening under our noses, the guy (not one of the housemates) appeared so gentle and friendly, we only found out after she broke down after they'd broken up and he called the cops on us!
"My own opinion is enough for me and I claim the right to have it defended against any consensus, any majority, anywhere, any place, any time, and anyone who disagrees with this can pick a number, get in line and kiss my ass" Christopher Hitchens

Professor
Steve Walters
Posts: 7434
Joined: August 13, 2008, 3:39 pm
Favourite Player: Bae
Location: Canberra

Re: Orlando

Post by Professor » June 21, 2016, 9:42 am

Manbush wrote:
Raider 85 wrote:
I've said many a year ago on here also that domestic violence within and around my immediate family and friends is not something I'm really aware of
Scarey thing is it could be happening under your nose, the housemate of mine we were 7 (5 girls 2 guys) good mates straight out of school, none of us had a clue it was happening under our noses, the guy (not one of the housemates) appeared so gentle and friendly, we only found out after she broke down after they'd broken up and he called the cops on us!
I don't live in a group house, so that would go some way to ensuring it's not happening under my nose.

User avatar
PigRickman
Mal Meninga
Posts: 24258
Joined: June 18, 2013, 4:31 pm
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Orlando

Post by PigRickman » June 21, 2016, 9:42 am

Raider 85 wrote:
Manbush wrote:Never said I'm an expert mate, one was my auntie when I was a kid I only learnt of it when I grew up and tore mum and dad to shreds for letting it continue the other was a housemate and her boyfriend, none of us (7 of us lived in the house) realised at the time.

Just 49 people are dead because of it.
Hahahahahahaha did Nick just made a lucky guess of it being two?
It's always 2. One he was unaware of at the time, and one he made a defiant stand about

ATAOAMBH
The List - K.Love, Keno, Zippy's tennis angels, LA Lakers, Noah, Boozer, Lucy's horse tips, Colts, Lucy, Kevin Proctor, Dr Zaius, TR, Tinfoil hatted Gangers and Woody, anyone in Raiders HQ who can point to QBN on a map....

Matt wrote:
July 18, 2018, 3:49 pm
Edrick Lee 5. Jordan Rapana
Matt wrote:
June 25, 2019, 9:29 pm
Reed Mahoney 9. Josh Hodgson ©
Coaching Power Rankings: Ricky Stuart - Top 2, and he ain't 2.

User avatar
PigRickman
Mal Meninga
Posts: 24258
Joined: June 18, 2013, 4:31 pm
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Orlando

Post by PigRickman » June 21, 2016, 9:54 am

simo wrote:Having a mrs who is a social worker has taught ne a few things about it. It's debilitating for the victim. They fear their partners more than anything, even if theyre locked away. It is far more widespread than we will ever know. Its hard to come to terms with as (hopefully) all of us here are not in such a relationship or had someone close involved in one.
Absolutely
My wife works in child protection. Domestic violence is a huge part of her job and the stories she tells are absolutely soul crushing. The impact it has on the direct victims is horrific, and the impact it has on the children, even if they aren't physically abused themselves, in terms of moulding their views on relationships and acceptable/unacceptable behaviour is absolutely heart breaking.
You've absolutely nailed it here.
As I said earlier, if the wife was in fact the victim of domestic violence, she isn't an accomplice, she's just another victim.
Last edited by PigRickman on June 21, 2016, 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
The List - K.Love, Keno, Zippy's tennis angels, LA Lakers, Noah, Boozer, Lucy's horse tips, Colts, Lucy, Kevin Proctor, Dr Zaius, TR, Tinfoil hatted Gangers and Woody, anyone in Raiders HQ who can point to QBN on a map....

Matt wrote:
July 18, 2018, 3:49 pm
Edrick Lee 5. Jordan Rapana
Matt wrote:
June 25, 2019, 9:29 pm
Reed Mahoney 9. Josh Hodgson ©
Coaching Power Rankings: Ricky Stuart - Top 2, and he ain't 2.

User avatar
The Rickman
Mal Meninga
Posts: 42281
Joined: June 25, 2012, 9:53 am
Favourite Player: Hodgo
Location: Rockhampton, Central Queensland

Re: Orlando

Post by The Rickman » June 21, 2016, 9:56 am

Pigman wrote:
simo wrote:Having a mrs who is a social worker has taught ne a few things about it. It's debilitating for the victim. They fear their partners more than anything, even if theyre locked away. It is far more widespread than we will ever know. Its hard to come to terms with as (hopefully) all of us here are not in such a relationship or had someone close involved in one.
Absolutely
My wife works in child protection. Domestic violence is a huge part of her job and the stories she tells are absolutely soul crushing. The impact it has on the direct victims is horrific, and the impact it has on the children in terms of moulding their views on relationships and acceptable/unacceptable behaviour is absolute heart breaking.
You've absolutely nailed it here.
As I said earlier, if the wife was in fact the victim of domestic violence, she isn't an accomplice, she's just another victim.
Spot on both of you.
Image
2012 Golden Boogs Newbie of the Year
2013 'Nella Awards Best Punter
2013 Boogs Thread of the Year ~ The Betting Thread
2014 Boogs Matthew Elliott Award Winner
2014 Boogs some award with Hanbush

User avatar
Manbush
Mal Meninga
Posts: 24589
Joined: March 14, 2008, 6:55 pm
Favourite Player: Luke Turner

Re: Orlando

Post by Manbush » June 21, 2016, 10:10 am

Just reading his history, looks like he learnt the behaviour from his mum who had been arrested for beating his dad
"My own opinion is enough for me and I claim the right to have it defended against any consensus, any majority, anywhere, any place, any time, and anyone who disagrees with this can pick a number, get in line and kiss my ass" Christopher Hitchens

Post Reply