Orlando

Discuss all the events of the day

Moderator: GH Moderators

Professor
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Bae

Orlando

Post by Professor »

New thread required - see off topic thread for reason why.

I see this morning the man's wife has been charged with accessory as she was aware of said plans and even drive him to potential targets. Perhaps she didn't take him seriously or was trying to talk him out of it. There's a kid implicated in this now.

Some more information has come to light from those from the club, including both his sexuality and his motives for the attack. That is:

- some are saying he was definitely gay from the dealings with him in the club; and
- he was heard as saying, during the attack, that he wants the U.S. to get out of the Middle East and he was also heard praising a noted martr (the name and particular crime of which I missed).
Manbush
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Luke Turner

Re: Orlando

Post by Manbush »

Hackers hijack Isis Twitter accounts with rainbow flags, and links to gay sites

http://europe.newsweek.com/isis-twitter ... 0300?rm=eu
Last edited by Manbush on June 16, 2016, 3:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Btw the speaker at the Orlando mosque earlier this year I mentioned that spoke about death to gays is currently in Australia speaking, the government is supposedly reviewing his visa.
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
Professor
Steve Walters

Post by Professor »

Manbush wrote:Btw the speaker at the Orlando mosque earlier this year I mentioned that spoke about death to gays is currently in Australia speaking, the government is supposedly reviewing his visa.
Oh, he is? I thought I heard yesterday that he fled the country the night before last. Must have been another speaker who was also here preaching hate.
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Raider 85 wrote:
Manbush wrote:Btw the speaker at the Orlando mosque earlier this year I mentioned that spoke about death to gays is currently in Australia speaking, the government is supposedly reviewing his visa.
Oh, he is? I thought I heard yesterday that he fled the country the night before last. Must have been another speaker who was also here preaching hate.
Ah he might have fled, I saw an article from 2 days ago so maybe he thought he'd go before kicked out.
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Professor
Steve Walters

Post by Professor »

Yeah, I incorrectly said in my OP that she had already been charged. I must have heard that she could be facing charges.
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Would you believe I'm seeing people defend her, because he had abused her she had no choice :doubt:
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

Manbush wrote:Would you believe I'm seeing people defend her, because he had abused her she had no choice :doubt:
How are you in a better position to pass judgement on her actions?
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Green eyed Mick wrote:
Manbush wrote:Would you believe I'm seeing people defend her, because he had abused her she had no choice :doubt:
Are you saying being abused by your husband is an excuse for being an accessory to mass murder? No matter what if she knew what he was going to do nothing excuses not reporting it and the blood of all those lives are also on her hands.
Cranky Old Man
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Sam Backo

Post by Cranky Old Man »

So a woman who has been physically abused by a bloke who turns out to be a murderer is likely to be locked up because she didn't take ALL his threats seriously. I wonder how many times during his abusive episodes he threatened to kill her, and possible others.
If some guy who you know gets his kicks belting up women boasted to you that he was going, at some stage,to murder a huge number of complete strangers mostly male, would you believe him sufficiently to involve the notoriously officious US police?
Have you not been threatened with death by some dropkick? Did you then hightail it to the nearest police station?
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Reports are she was with him when he purchased the bullets and took him to survey the club, if both of those are true they're obviously more than just idle threats, be interesting to know if she was aware of all the jihadist searches he had been doing online.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley

Manbush wrote:
Green eyed Mick wrote:
Are you saying being abused by your husband is an excuse for being an accessory to mass murder? No matter what if she knew what he was going to do nothing excuses not reporting it and the blood of all those lives are also on her hands.
You are criticising people for passing judgement while you yourself are passing judgment with the same incomplete set of facts.

Surely the logical, intelligent thing to do is to wait until the facts have been established before going on retardbook to defend or condemn anyone.
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

I'm acknowledging that if it's true she's guilty, that implies if its not then she isn't. The people I am criticising for defending her was on the basis of it being true as well simply because she had been abused.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley

Manbush wrote:I'm acknowledging that if it's true she's guilty, that implies if its not then she isn't. The people I am criticising for defending her was on the basis of it being true as well simply because she had been abused.
It seems like you are arguing that it doesn't matter if she was abused or not?
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Of course it matters if a woman is abused but if she's guilty of being an accessory to mass murder it's no defense,
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Hypothetically speaking as its still unknown if this claim is legitimate. But assume it is - The threat of further abuse if she doesn't play ball with his demands isn't an defence for her actions?

One of two scenarios here:
She thinks he's not serious about the massacre, there for is going to be home by sun up to give her a thrashing for disobeying him

Or she thinks he is serious and is obeying the commands of a man willing to kill 50 people because he's messed up about his sexuality

Either way, that seems like a no win situation for her. Victims of domestic violence can tell you the psychological impact abuse can have
Professor
Steve Walters

Post by Professor »

I've been thinking a bit about this this week since hearing she may have had forewarning of said attack. Like you, I don't see a win for her either. She really was screwed every which way.

That said, 50 innocent people here have been murdered. That's the reality. And if one were to have had forewarning of such an atrocity being committed, in some capacity the authorities should have been made aware of it.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Raider 85 wrote:
That said, 50 innocent people here have been murdered. That's the reality. And if one were to have had forewarning of such an atrocity being committed, in some capacity the authorities should have been made aware of it.
I agree
But I also concede that's a hellova lot easier to say as someone who isn't the hypothetical abuse victim
I've known abuse victims. Spoken to them at length about their experiences... Living in fear 24/7 is a heavy cross to bear
Professor
Steve Walters

Post by Professor »

Pigman wrote:
Raider 85 wrote:
I agree
But I also concede that's a hellova lot easier to say as someone who isn't the hypothetical abuse victim
I've known abuse victims. Spoken to them at length about their experiences... Living in fear 24/7 is a heavy cross to bear
I hope you're not misconstruing me here. I'm certainly not presuming to understand the difficulties she, or anyone else in a similar position, have experienced.

It's just that 50 innocent people have been murdered and it seems that one person may have been in a position to mitigate the risk of it happening.

It's difficult in the extreme this discussion.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Orlando

Post by Botman »

Na I'm understanding what you're saying. And again you're not wrong.
I guess I'm just saying if she was indeed the victim of abuse, to me she is just another victim here, not an accomplice IMO

But it's a very difficult and delicate discussion if what's reported about the abuse and her knowledge is true
Last edited by Botman on June 17, 2016, 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Professor
Steve Walters

Post by Professor »

Pigman wrote:Na I'm understanding what you're saying. And again you're wrong.
I guess I'm just saying if she was indeed the victim of abuse, to me she is just another victim here, not an accomplice IMO

But it's a very difficult and delicate discussion if what's reported about the abuse and her knowledge is true
I don't disagree she is and has been a victim (if what's reported is true), but is there not even one little bone in your body that says to you "ah, gee, perhaps she could have had a crack at advising the authorities before seeking shelter / support / a new life followed by having a hitman cut his chop off?"
Botman
Mal Meninga

Orlando

Post by Botman »

People in abusive relationships can be too scared to call their parents for fear of their own life.
Let alone the authorities

Ideally, and hypothetically, yes she should have done that. But again, easy for me to say when I don't know what it's like to live in an abusive relationship
Professor
Steve Walters

Post by Professor »

Yeah, look, this is slippery. I guess it's just my heart is first and foremost with the dead and their families as they had absolutely zero say in the matter.
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

We'll have to agree to disagree (before I use war criminal examples and jump the shark), for mine putting your own safety above so many others is indefensible and if true their blood is on her hands.

Ps. NBC reports she supposedly tried to talk him out of it so she must've taken it seriously.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley

Manbush wrote:Of course it matters if a woman is abused but if she's guilty of being an accessory to mass murder it's no defense,
Whilst battered wife syndrome isn't technically a defence it has been used successfully to argue diminished responsibility and duress. It has even been used successfully to argue temporary insanity.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Manbush wrote:We'll have to agree to disagree (before I use war criminal examples and jump the shark), for mine putting your own safety above so many others is indefensible and if true their blood is on her hands.

Ps. NBC reports she supposedly tried to talk him out of it so she must've taken it seriously.
You're putting yourself above them if you're certain they're going to do it.

There's a lot of variables here, a judgement either way without more information or a clear statement of assumptions is misguided.
Schifty
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by Schifty »

The situation with the wife is just horrendous, and it's hard to make too much judgment without the full story.. Obviously the main issue is who in the hell he was allowed to get that sort of weapon..

This article is about the horrible political murder of a UK MP yesterday, but I think a lot of it can be apply to both America and here.

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2016/06/a-day-of-infamy/

If you cbf reading the whole thing, just take this from it.
But, still. Look. When you encourage rage you cannot then feign surprise when people become enraged. You cannot turn around and say, ‘Mate, you weren’t supposed to take it so seriously. It’s just a game, just a ploy, a strategy for winning votes.’
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

I know I'm late to the party here, but I've heard of victims of abuse doing all sorts of things, even helping their partner sexually abuse minors.

The fact of the matter is that these victims are victims too and are terrified by their torturer, they're in no position mentally to go to the authorities.

You blokes are deadset having a larf if you think she was in any way capable of reporting her husband.
Schifty
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by Schifty »

The most ridiculous thing I've heard is the people saying the club goers should have all been carrying guns as well.

Yep, a bunch of people who have been drinking pulling out guns in a dark room..... :hmmm
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

The most ridiculous thing ive read is that her being abused by her partner is no excuse for not stopping him. The psychological effects of domestic violence are something that i dont understand completely myself, but i am damn sure they are horrible. We'd all do well not to downplay them
Dont delete this GE
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Or how about a conspiracy that the victims were carried into the club

The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

simo wrote:The most ridiculous thing ive read is that her being abused by her partner is no excuse for not stopping him. The psychological effects of domestic violence are something that i dont understand completely myself, but i am damn sure they are horrible. We'd all do well not to downplay them
Exactly simo. Exactly. I'm amazed by people's attitudes here to something they clearly don't understand.
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Noones doubting or down playing they're horrible.
Last edited by Manbush on June 21, 2016, 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.