Charges laid for botched kidnapping in Lebanon

Discuss all the events of the day

Moderator: GH Moderators

Professor
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Bae

Post by Professor »

Couldn't find an appropriate thread for this so have created one.

Those involved could be in some bloody strife for this, it seems.
Schifty
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Re: Charges laid for botched kidnapping in Lebanon

Post by Schifty »

I want to know which idiots at channel 9 signed off on this project.

Surely at one point someone should have raised a mild cocnered.

Anyway should try to offer them Beau Ryan and the Footy show crew (apart from Erin) in a swap deal.
Professor
Steve Walters

Post by Professor »

I've been saying the same thing flat stick to my wife, Schifty.

It's indicative of how far stations will go for a story, isn't it.
Schifty
Laurie Daley

Post by Schifty »

I'd love to know what they thought the best case scenario was here..

So they get the kids, take off then head to the airport and.....
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

They are misguided and naïve vigilantes who assaulted an old lady and abducted 2 children. Prison seems like an appropriate penalty for those in charge of the story.
Professor
Steve Walters

Post by Professor »

Schifty wrote:I'd love to know what they thought the best case scenario was here..

So they get the kids, take off then head to the airport and.....
Yeah, have been thinking that - and a million other things - too.

Were they banking on these children carrying with them their bloody passports?

I don't get it.
Manbush
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Luke Turner

Post by Manbush »

Yep pack of idiots, hopefully the person who authorised it also gets in the ****.
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Obviously this has not gone to plan, but if he story is to be believed (and I expect we'll find out the real story in the coming days) the father took the kids over seas and never returned with them.

The Australian government were essentially powerless to help her so she's left with very few options to get her kids back. Channel 9 come in and tell her they will pay for the recovery costs, I can't blame her for jumping at that.

If my wife did that with my kids, there isn't anything I wouldn't do to get them back. If I did that, my wife wouldn't be up on botched kidnapping charges, she'd be up on EDIT
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Yep can't blame her Pigman but channel 9 is to blame for this cluster ****, trying to cash in and get an exclusive by breaking the law in another country, unacceptable and they should face the consequences.

Turkey is demanding Germany arrest a comedian for insulting their prime minister, Lebanon has much more right to demand the arrest of whoever organised this one.
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
Professor
Steve Walters

Post by Professor »

The offence is worth a maximum of 20 years jail.

Oh, dear.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Manbush wrote:Yep can't blame her Pigman but channel 9 is to blame for this cluster ****, trying to cash in and get an exclusive by breaking the law in another country, unacceptable and they should face the consequences.
100% agree
They've shameless taken advantage of a women in impossible circumstances and placed her freedom and the health of the children at risk for a story

It's sickening stuff on their behalf. They should be sanctioned heavily. God willing they'll get banged so hard on this that it ends that abortion known as "60 Minutes"
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Pigman wrote:Obviously this has not gone to plan, but if he story is to be believed (and I expect we'll find out the real story in the coming days) the father took the kids over seas and never returned with them.

The Australian government were essentially powerless to help her so she's left with very few options to get her kids back. Channel 9 come in and tell her they will pay for the recovery costs, I can't blame her for jumping at that.

If my wife did that with my kids, there isn't anything I wouldn't do to get them back. If I did that, my wife wouldn't be up on botched kidnapping charges, she'd be up on EDIT
My wife wouldn't be in any charges, she'd be pushing daisies
Edrick The Entertainer
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Pigman wrote:Obviously this has not gone to plan, but if he story is to be believed (and I expect we'll find out the real story in the coming days) the father took the kids over seas and never returned with them.

You mean WHEN she does, right??
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Never marry anyone from a country that is not a signatory to the Hague convention.

Actually, I married someone who is from a country that is not a signatory to the Hague convention :(

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Begbie
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Smash Williams

Post by Begbie »

Raider 85 wrote:I've been saying the same thing flat stick to my wife, Schifty.

I've never had any time for Tara the reporter, if you take notice of her she is always digging for hurt and shame. Couldn't be happier with the situation she has dug herself. Hope she gets a 6 month sentence and then they send her home with her tail wedged between her legs.
Professor
Steve Walters

Post by Professor »

Begbie wrote:

I've never had any time for Tara the reporter, if you take notice of her she is always digging for hurt and shame. Couldn't be happier with the situation she has dug herself. Hope she gets a 6 month sentence and then they send her home with her tail wedged between her legs.
Jesus Christ, I thought I was a harsh and cynical bastard.

I don't watch 60 minutes so I'm not privvy to the types of stories she engages in, so I'll take your word for it.

That said, I feel for the families implicated in this. **** knows what Tara's husband is having to say their children when they ask him where mummy is.

As an individual, I'm not sure how I'd cope, let alone have to hold it together for kids as well.
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

Raider 85 wrote:
Begbie wrote:

I don't watch 60 minutes so I'm not privvy to the types of stories she engages in, so I'll take your word for it.

That said, I feel for the families implicated in this. **** knows what Tara's husband is having to say their children when they ask him where mummy is.

As an individual, I'm not sure how I'd cope, let alone have to hold it together for kids as well.
id look after you mate. I just hope your partner wouldnt be so stupid as to aid in what is plain and simply a crime in a foreign country.
Dont delete this GE
Professor
Steve Walters

Post by Professor »

simo wrote:
Raider 85 wrote:
Begbie wrote:

id look after you mate. I just hope your partner wouldnt be so stupid as to aid in what is plain and simply a crime in a foreign country.
Thanks mate :)

And yeah, I feel you. I get that a very stupid decision has been made and that such decisions have consequences, but it's hard not to feel for the partners and kids involved.
Cranky Old Man
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Sam Backo

Post by Cranky Old Man »

The basis of this story is the fact that one parent has racked off with the kids to a place where the other parent can't get access. That is a fairly common occurrence in Australia. One of the small costs of a multi cultural society.

Even more common is where one parent remarries or re hooks up to a new partner from a great distance away from the other parent. You then get the same effect from a financial perspective rather than a jurisdictional perspective. A guy whose father I know well has two kids living in Darwin with his former spouse and her new partner and as a blue collar worker he is flat out being able to visit more than a couple of times per year. As time goes by they recognise him less and less each visit which he finds very disheartening.

This case seems to have been jumped on by 60 Mins because the wife seems attractive and the destination, Lebanon is a bit sinister to white bread Aussies. Thats pretty crass exploitation in my view.

The politicians are loving it all as it is a way to get their heads on TV without doing very much of consequence. What they should be doing, and they should have started a couple of decades ago is negotiate some treaty with those countries who have not signed the Hague Convention which would allow some type of judicial resolution in these cases. Its not like we are going to see less of these situations arise.
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Raider 85 wrote:
Begbie wrote:

I wonder if the partners were aware of what they were going to do, if they did they should've talked them out of it so I would have no sympathy for them only for the kids.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Cranky Old Man wrote: The politicians are loving it all as it is a way to get their heads on TV without doing very much of consequence. What they should be doing, and they should have started a couple of decades ago is negotiate some treaty with those countries who have not signed the Hague Convention which would allow some type of judicial resolution in these cases. Its not like we are going to see less of these situations arise.
Apparently we have an agreement in place with Lebanon and a lot of other countries not signed up to the Hague Convention that the two governments can mediate a solution but only if both parents agree with it.

The situation is tough. As i've said in this thread before, there is no lengths i wouldnt go to in order to be a part of my children's life. Im not going to here on Mt Pious and pretend that if my wife took off over seas with my kids and i was unable to see them regularly and a TV station come knocking offering to pay for a recovery operation, that i wouldnt strongly consider taking them up on that. I dont blame her at all. Channel 9 on the other hand, they should be hauled over the coals for this exploitation

I dont know what more the government can do to stop this happening.
Manchild
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Past: Brad Clyde
Present: Shaun Fensom

Post by Manchild »

Cranky Old Man wrote:The basis of this story is the fact that one parent has racked off with the kids to a place where the other parent can't get access. That is a fairly common occurrence in Australia. One of the small costs of a multi cultural society.

Even more common is where one parent remarries or re hooks up to a new partner from a great distance away from the other parent. You then get the same effect from a financial perspective rather than a jurisdictional perspective. A guy whose father I know well has two kids living in Darwin with his former spouse and her new partner and as a blue collar worker he is flat out being able to visit more than a couple of times per year. As time goes by they recognise him less and less each visit which he finds very disheartening.

This case seems to have been jumped on by 60 Mins because the wife seems attractive and the destination, Lebanon is a bit sinister to white bread Aussies. Thats pretty crass exploitation in my view.

The politicians are loving it all as it is a way to get their heads on TV without doing very much of consequence. What they should be doing, and they should have started a couple of decades ago is negotiate some treaty with those countries who have not signed the Hague Convention which would allow some type of judicial resolution in these cases. Its not like we are going to see less of these situations arise.
I thought the rule was within Australia is that if your children are say born in NSW where both parents lived and then they break up that the custodian parent is not allowed to take the children to another state without the other parents consent.

Regarding this case, apparently the Fathers family are very wealthy so compensation is not going to do much in the way of resolution.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

I think in this case, the father asked to take the children to Lebanon to see his family on a "holiday", mum did the right thing and agreed and then dad and the kids NEVER came back
Manchild
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Past: Brad Clyde
Present: Shaun Fensom

Post by Manchild »

Yeah I get that with the 60 minutes case but the one which COM referred to with his friend, I did not think one parent could take a child away from their birth state without consent from the other parent.
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Both parents have to sign for the passport (had to when I was a kid anyway).
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Manchild wrote:Yeah I get that with the 60 minutes case but the one which COM referred to with his friend, I did not think one parent could take a child away from their birth state without consent from the other parent.
Yeah that's usually the case but not all follow the rules
And in many cases when the rules aren't followed, the threat of recovery is very empty as the parent know unless there is risk to the child they will simply instruct the parents to mediate a solution, as they are very reluctant to remove children from homes unless they are at risk
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Manbush wrote:Both parents have to sign for the passport (had to when I was a kid anyway).
That doesn't really help in a lot of cases
I signed for my children's passport, that was 2 years ago in my sons case
Anything can happen in 2 years, I could be divorced and my then Ex wife could be taking him out of the country on his passport without my knowledge, least of all my approval

But then what can the government do? Force a system where both parents have have formal agreement to take a child out of the country? Seems like a logistical nightmare to implement that kind of system

And it won't stop old mate booking a "holiday" to see his family in Lebanon with his kids and never getting on the return flight
Last edited by Botman on April 19, 2016, 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Begbie
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Smash Williams

Post by Begbie »

Surely with all the tens of thousands of Lebanese immigrants in this country, both Muslims and Christians, there is one with the power and contacts to sort this mess out back with the home country?
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

I'm staying neutral until i hear Wayne Bennett's opinion
Edrick The Entertainer
Cranky Old Man
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Sam Backo

Post by Cranky Old Man »

In the case I mentioned the mother and her new partner took the kids and moved about 250 Kms away within NSW at first, then to Ipswich and then to Darwin. The father was still trying to fight the first move, at an expense he could hardly afford when the next move took place, he spent the rest of his money equally unsuccessfully on the later moves but got nowhere.
It seems to me that he was too easy going with the first stage and thereafter he was playing catch up with a much more "ruthless" pair. They seem to take the attitude that they will do only what they are forced to do, and that at the greatest possible expense to the father who is of limited means. They know he is in no position to gain permanent custody which is the only sanction that would really bother them.
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

If you read his side of the story, it appears he never wanted to live in australia and made that pretty clear.
Professor
Steve Walters

Post by Professor »

Sounds like a top bloke - the country in which his children were born assigned custody to the mother so he **** off with them to a country whose legal system would uneqivocally support him.

No wonder Mum threw the kitchen sink at having them return home.
Professor
Steve Walters

Post by Professor »

Evidentially charges are to be dropped against all of the accused. Can only surmise the Mum has done each of them a solid and agreed to not seek custody.

Edit: perhaps not. The most recent media release is that they'll be released upon providing financial compensation.
Schifty
Laurie Daley

Post by Schifty »

The crew were bailed out but nobody is saying how much was paid.

Still don't be watching any special they run on this even though they'll be desperate to recoup that bail cash by running a story.
Professor
Steve Walters

Post by Professor »

Schifty wrote:The crew were bailed out but nobody is saying how much was paid.

Still don't be watching any special they run on this even though they'll be desperate to recoup that bail cash by running a story.
Yep, they'll be milking the **** out of this. And you know what, I would too. It has become somewhat of a story, ay.