Discuss all the events of the day

Moderator: GH Moderators

The Rickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Re: The Politics Thread

Post by The Rickman » December 20, 2013, 8:35 am

T_R wrote:
The Nickman wrote:I think it's fairly obvious to me that T_R votes Liberal now because he's rich.
T_R wrote:
Michael wrote:Do you think things would be markedly better under a PM other than Rudd?
Actually, I'm beginning to. The more I see of the Rudd government, the flimiser it seems.
Michael wrote:Also, I find it interesting the fuss made by conservatives about the insulation scheme and the unfortunate deaths of those kids. I don't necessarily agree, but I'll concede that an argument could be made that the government's insulation policy at least indirectly caused the deaths of those kids....
I'm waiting for someone to come up with statistics to show that the death rate per million instalations is any more than it has been previously. But whatever the case, the whole matter was handled poorly and is symptomatic of the way the Rudd government does business. This latest 'Super profits tax' or whatever the hell it is is just the latest example of poorly formulated policies implemented by those without the skills to manage, let alone lead.

I won't vote labor at the next election and I'd rather walk over broken glass than vote for Abbot. Who do you vote for...the incompetent or the nasty? I may have to go overseas in October and avoid the whole damn thing.
Home alone for the first time in nearly a decade, I was motivated enough to search and find out when I sold my soul to the devil. May 4, 2010. There you have it. If I wasn't quite prepared to go over to the dark side, I at least walked away from the light.

For the record, I went overseas.
Home alone for the first time in a decade and THAT'S what you do?!? :shock:
2012 Golden Boogs Newbie of the Year
2013 'Nella Awards Best Punter
2013 Boogs Thread of the Year ~ The Betting Thread
2014 Boogs Matthew Elliott Award Winner
2014 Boogs some award with Hanbush

T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R » December 20, 2013, 8:36 am

Very strange feeling to be in the place by myself...just never happens.

The GH was there for me, Nickman.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.

The Rickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Rickman » December 20, 2013, 9:00 am

The GH, The Politics Thread, an empty house and a box of tissues.

Oh yeah.

Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick » December 20, 2013, 9:21 am

The Nickman wrote:The GH, The Politics Thread, an empty house and a box of tissues.

Oh yeah.
I am hoping the tissues are to soak up the tears shed for the plight of future generations :cry:

T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R » December 20, 2013, 10:23 am

The Nickman wrote:The GH, The Politics Thread, an empty house and a box of tissues.

Oh yeah.
To be fair, I DO spend about 100 days a year alone in hotel rooms.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.

The Rickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Rickman » December 20, 2013, 10:46 am

Oh yeah, and you absolutely have to christen every hotel room you stay in.

Manbush
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Luke Turner

Post by Manbush » December 20, 2013, 10:55 am

The Nickman wrote:Oh yeah, and you absolutely have to christen every hotel room you stay in.
That's my motto when I'm away on work trips.
"My own opinion is enough for me and I claim the right to have it defended against any consensus, any majority, anywhere, any place, any time, and anyone who disagrees with this can pick a number, get in line and kiss my ass" Christopher Hitchens

The Rickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Rickman » December 20, 2013, 10:59 am

Manbush wrote:
The Nickman wrote:Oh yeah, and you absolutely have to christen every hotel room you stay in.
You see, when I say it it comes across as light-humoured and awesome, for some reason when you say it it just seems creepy and disgusting.

T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R » December 20, 2013, 11:13 am

Ha! That's light humoured and awesome!

T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R » December 20, 2013, 11:14 am

Manbush wrote:
Dude, that's creepy and disgusting.

The Rickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Rickman » December 20, 2013, 11:33 am

:lol: This is the best Christmas ever.

Manbush
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Luke Turner

Post by Manbush » December 20, 2013, 11:59 am

T_R wrote:
Manbush wrote:
Hey I resemble that comment!
"My own opinion is enough for me and I claim the right to have it defended against any consensus, any majority, anywhere, any place, any time, and anyone who disagrees with this can pick a number, get in line and kiss my ass" Christopher Hitchens

Shezza
Laurie Daley

Post by Shezza » December 20, 2013, 12:01 pm

T_R :lol:
2013 'Nella Awards - MVP
2013 'Nella Awards - Spite Day Winner
2013 'Nella Awards - Worst System (The Club)

Shezza
Laurie Daley

Post by Shezza » December 20, 2013, 12:02 pm

Manbush wrote:
T_R wrote:
Manbush wrote:
Hey I resemble that comment!
"Resemble"??? You sure do.
2013 'Nella Awards - MVP

Michael
Mal Meninga

Post by Michael » December 20, 2013, 12:41 pm

That's the joke, Dogg, you **** battler.

Nick
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton
Location: The abyss, ive brought a house in the abyss, im getting mail redirected to the abyss

Post by Nick » December 20, 2013, 12:42 pm

piggles dogg

smh.
Raiders member no: 4008
Bay 28, Row JJ, Seat 8

greeneyed wrote:Sheens was brought in to build the Cowboys and Tigers. He did both, bringing one a premiership, despite the many injury ridden years of his key playmaker.
^^^
:lol: !

Shezza
Laurie Daley

Post by Shezza » December 20, 2013, 1:03 pm

I see ... carry on.

I thought it was an autocorrect or something and that would have been awesome.
2013 'Nella Awards - MVP

Schifty
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by Schifty » December 20, 2013, 8:43 pm

Ugandan parliament just pass a bill to outlaw homosexuality with the speaker referring to it as a Christmas Gift :|

Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley

Post by Green eyed Mick » December 20, 2013, 9:21 pm

I think Stephen Fry was in Uganda for his Documentary Out there. The people behind the anti-gay agenda in Uganda make people like Bernadi look open minded and tolerant.

Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley

Post by Green eyed Mick » December 23, 2013, 7:10 am

Abbott breaks another promise. This time on the monitoring of Japanese Whaling.

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/nationa ... 2zt3c.html

Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley

Post by Green eyed Mick » December 28, 2013, 3:43 pm

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/nationa ... 6790896734#" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Massive slump in popularity in WA. If they go ahead with a half-senate election it could take power in the Senate away from Palmer and the Libs and shift it back to Labor, Greens and Xenophon.

Interesting year in politics coming up. I suspect it might have almost as many high and low points as 2013.

The Rickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Rickman » December 29, 2013, 10:04 pm

Michael wrote:That's the joke, Dogg, you **** battler.
:lol:

What a massive battler.

Shezza
Laurie Daley

Post by Shezza » December 30, 2013, 5:17 am

The Nickman wrote:
Michael wrote:That's the joke, Dogg, you **** battler.
:lol:

What a massive battler.
Early to the party I see.

Always a quick one the old Piggles.
2013 'Nella Awards - MVP

The Rickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Rickman » December 30, 2013, 9:45 am

Sorry if I was out partying rather than sitting on the forum while I travel overseas, Big Dogg.

Sheesh you live an exciting existence.

Shezza
Laurie Daley

Post by Shezza » December 30, 2013, 11:13 am

You are.
2013 'Nella Awards - MVP

Schifty
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by Schifty » December 30, 2013, 4:51 pm

When are these drone programs ever going to end :nooo

I worked on the US drone program. The public should know what really goes on

Whenever I read comments by politicians defending the Unmanned Aerial Vehicle Predator and Reaper program – aka drones – I wish I could ask them some questions. I'd start with: "How many women and children have you seen incinerated by a Hellfire missile?" And: "How many men have you seen crawl across a field, trying to make it to the nearest compound for help while bleeding out from severed legs?" Or even more pointedly: "How many soldiers have you seen die on the side of a road in Afghanistan because our ever-so-accurate UAVs [unmanned aerial vehicle] were unable to detect an IED [improvised explosive device] that awaited their convoy?"

What the public needs to understand is that the video provided by a drone is a far cry from clear enough to detect someone carrying a weapon, even on a crystal-clear day with limited clouds and perfect light. This makes it incredibly difficult for the best analysts to identify if someone has weapons for sure. One example comes to mind: "The feed is so pixelated, what if it's a shovel, and not a weapon?" I felt this confusion constantly, as did my fellow UAV analysts. We always wonder if we killed the right people, if we endangered the wrong people, if we destroyed an innocent civilian's life all because of a bad image or angle.

Read more: http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... s-military

Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley

Post by Green eyed Mick » December 31, 2013, 6:59 am

Schifty wrote:When are these drone programs ever going to end :nooo

I worked on the US drone program. The public should know what really goes on

Whenever I read comments by politicians defending the Unmanned Aerial Vehicle Predator and Reaper program – aka drones – I wish I could ask them some questions. I'd start with: "How many women and children have you seen incinerated by a Hellfire missile?" And: "How many men have you seen crawl across a field, trying to make it to the nearest compound for help while bleeding out from severed legs?" Or even more pointedly: "How many soldiers have you seen die on the side of a road in Afghanistan because our ever-so-accurate UAVs [unmanned aerial vehicle] were unable to detect an IED [improvised explosive device] that awaited their convoy?"

What the public needs to understand is that the video provided by a drone is a far cry from clear enough to detect someone carrying a weapon, even on a crystal-clear day with limited clouds and perfect light. This makes it incredibly difficult for the best analysts to identify if someone has weapons for sure. One example comes to mind: "The feed is so pixelated, what if it's a shovel, and not a weapon?" I felt this confusion constantly, as did my fellow UAV analysts. We always wonder if we killed the right people, if we endangered the wrong people, if we destroyed an innocent civilian's life all because of a bad image or angle.

Read more: http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... s-military
Drones are just like any other Military jobs program of the last 50 years. The make lobbyists, politicians and a select few companies very rich. They do nothing to save lives and they recruit more people to terrorist organisations and the taliban than they stop.