Discuss all the events of the day

Moderator: GH Moderators

afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Re: The Politics Thread 2016

Post by afgtnk »

"George Popowski"

Sounds like an original, indigenous Australian to me.
Schifty
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by Schifty »

Bob Day is gone!

Also if his party is ruled invalid his #2 candidate can't use above the line votes so is no chance of taking his place on countback.

If that seat goes to ALP or Greens, Turnbull needs 2 of Hinch/Lambie/Leyonhjelm to pass any legislation if ALP/Greens block it..

That's also assuming he can get Xenophon team to agree. Technically he needs One Nation, but we've seen this week they are just a sub branch of the Liberal party.. Who knows they might try form coalition with them at next election.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

You're getting yourself all worked up, Schifty.

Settle down, lad.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Manbush
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Luke Turner

Post by Manbush »

Wonder if Hanson and co will start a fear campaign about the danger from the far right

Victorian extremist Phillip Galea planned to bomb left wing premises police say.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-n ... police-say
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Schifty don't get too excited about Day, could mean One Nation gets another seat.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/blogs/andre ... 7fa003ce77
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
Schifty
Laurie Daley

Post by Schifty »

Speaking of one nation..

Schifty
Laurie Daley

Post by Schifty »

Senator Malcolm Roberts blocked me on twitter :cry:
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Surprised he even knows what a computer is
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Schifty wrote:Senator Malcolm Roberts blocked me on twitter :cry:
Mate you're either going to have to cancel Twitter or set up a new account, running out of people to troll.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

The Federal Court has returned us to sanity over the QUT 18C case.

Surely - SURELY - Triggs now has to resign?

http://www.skynews.com.au/news/top-stor ... -case.html

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Notaroboticfish
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Royce Hunt

Post by Notaroboticfish »

Looks like Brexit might not happen anymore
Sterlk
David Furner

Post by Sterlk »

Schifty wrote:That's also assuming he can get Xenophon team to agree. Technically he needs One Nation, but we've seen this week they are just a sub branch of the Liberal party.. Who knows they might try form coalition with them at next election.
That last bit isn't happening (though I'm pretty sure you know that and were just being facetious).

While they have their following, becoming one with One Nation (leading up to an election, at least) would not help the Coalition form government. Whether you're Labor or the Liberals, in order to win you have to win over those centrist voters that could end up voting for either party. Bringing One Nation on board formally would be likely to drive those swing voters into the arms of the Labor party.

Plus there's the small matter of One Nation operating in the Senate, they have some influence there but Senate seats don't influence who gets to form government. I personally think the Coalition would be happy with their current relationship with One Nation; ideologically aligned so they're likely to pick up their Senate votes anyway, and without a formal relationship they limit the damage working with One Nation could have in driving swing voters to Labor.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Plebiscite scuttled by the senate
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

"I would feel discriminated against as a Christian if my sacred religious tradition was changed by politicians," Jacqui Lambie said.

She's got a weird idea on what discrimation is, not hard to imagine her being one of the driving forces behind Tasmania looking at changing their hate speech laws to allow religions to be exempt.
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

How is the Marriage Act a sacred tradition of religion.

Whatever sacred tradition of religion / baptism / death etc a particular religion has, a change to the marriage act does not change that tradition.

I.e. a particular religion could say we get married in a church with candles, white dress and a hymn, with a man and a woman the same way my family has done it since catholocism successfully proselyted middlesborough in the 900-1100 period. Changing the marriage act does not change that. I am sure in all parts of the world where the equivalent marriage act has undergone changes there would be hundreds of thousands of churches that have not changed the religious marriage tradition one iota.
Wiggy
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by Wiggy »

Manbush wrote:"I would feel discriminated against as a Christian if my sacred religious tradition was changed by politicians," Jacqui Lambie said.
Somebody should mention to Jacqui that nobody is going to force her to get gay married.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

The organisers of the Gay and Lesbian Mardi Gras have banned Malcolm Turnbull from attending.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Green eyed Mick wrote:The organisers of the Gay and Lesbian Mardi Gras have banned Malcolm Turnbull from attending.
I'd have done the opposite - I'd have asked him to be there, front and centre, cutting ribbons and standing in front of as many people from the gay community as I could.

Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley

Surely this is the last straw for Brandis.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

T_R wrote:
Green eyed Mick wrote:The organisers of the Gay and Lesbian Mardi Gras have banned Malcolm Turnbull from attending.
I'd have done the opposite - I'd have asked him to be there, front and centre, cutting ribbons and standing in front of as many people from the gay community as I could.
Me too.
Cranky Old Man
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Sam Backo

Post by Cranky Old Man »

Green eyed Mick wrote:Surely this is the last straw for Brandis.
Geez, you would be spewing if you got lumbered with him as your Legal Aid solicitor. Everything he touches turns to absolute edit, but he is convinced of his genius.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley

The AMA are to the pharmaceutical lobby what the IPA are to the mining and financial sector.

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/federal ... syh5c.html

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/federal ... sy4nk.html
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

gangrenous wrote:
T_R wrote:
Me too.
Nah, hissy fit works better
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

When was the last time labor / greens voted differently for a different result on a major issue?
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley

papabear wrote:When was the last time labor / greens voted differently for a different result on a major issue?
Senate voting reform is a recent example.
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

Green eyed Mick wrote:
papabear wrote:When was the last time labor / greens voted differently for a different result on a major issue?
Senate voting reform is a recent example.
8 months ago now, is hardly recent in politics and lets be honest senate voting above / below the line was hardly a major issue.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley

Barnaby Joyce: "There's no reason at all he couldn't be a cabinet minister. Now that's not imminent. But does he have the ability to run a department? Yes."

This guy?

T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Left wing ideological opprobrium not withstanding.....the man is a fool. He should be let nowhere near a cabinet room.

What is Barnaby up to??

Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

NICKMAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN!
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

TR that uni thing has taken a new twist

'See you in court': Student rejects Labor MP Terri Butler's apology and vows to continue lawsuit

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/ ... ostedposts
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Yep, been following it. Prior is also appealing the judgement.

Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Looks like the Liberals are going to go even further to the right :nooo

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/famil ... 202-gt2zvb
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley

The Hard Right think they can achieve what Trump and Farage managed.
Cranky Old Man
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Sam Backo

Post by Cranky Old Man »

Manbush wrote:TR that uni thing has taken a new twist

'See you in court': Student rejects Labor MP Terri Butler's apology and vows to continue lawsuit

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/ ... ostedposts
I don't have a link, but apparently the student who made the original complaints has been discovered posting on some extremist racist site. The whole thing did and still does smell like a bit of a set up to me. Will probably know more soon.
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Victoria looks like becoming the first state to legalise euthanasia :clap: