The Politics Thread 2016

Discuss all the events of the day

Moderator: GH Moderators

Raidersfan
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: George Clooney

Re: The Politics Thread 2016

Post by Raidersfan »

Schifty wrote:Most dirty and negative campaign in history and the Libs have had a swing of -3.8% against them.

Labor gov going for 5th term has +1.2%

Good call Hawkins.
Ditto

First time I voted Labor for over 30 years
I don't post facts
Schifty
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by Schifty »

Reclaim Australia pretending running as an independent is currently last in my electorate :D

I might need to run in 2020 just to prove I can get more votes than him..
100%green
Don Furner

Post by 100%green »

Be interesting to see if this crap Hawkins put our name to has any affect of future dealings with the government.

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk
Schifty
Laurie Daley

Post by Schifty »

Reclaim Australia candidate who ran as an independent and came last.

Stay classy :clap:
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Schifty wrote:Reclaim Australia candidate who ran as an independent and came last.

Tell me that was real.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Schifty
Laurie Daley

Post by Schifty »

T_R wrote:
Schifty wrote:Reclaim Australia candidate who ran as an independent and came last.

Tell me that was real.

Would you like some more?

T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Ah. Stromlo.

Got it.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Oooooof, I'd bet my mortgage that Mr Evans gets pegged by his significant other on the reg.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

T_R wrote:Ah. Stromlo.

Got it.
Ahhh he's from Stromlo High. That makes myself from Holder High look more classy.

Only 1% more classy (but hey that's twice as classy as him).
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

You're expecting class from a bigot, racist, sexist, xenophobic, homophobic dog whistler?
Manbush
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Luke Turner

Post by Manbush »

Schifty wrote:
T_R wrote:

Tell me that was real.

Would you like some more?

Right down the bottom says it all,

"Qld the only real one with any hope left" :roflmao
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
reptar
Laurie Daley

Post by reptar »

BJ wrote:

Got it.
Ahhh he's from Stromlo High. That makes myself from Holder High look more classy.

You're not the only one from Holder High!
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

reptar wrote:
BJ wrote:

Got it.

I believe that at least another 30 of us have avoided Jail, Overdoses or moving to Belconnen. Good to have you on board.
reptar
Laurie Daley

Post by reptar »

BJ wrote:
reptar wrote:
BJ wrote:

Got it.

I believe that at least another 30 of us have avoided Jail, Overdoses or moving to Belconnen. Good to have you on board.
I was in area for Weston Creek High School. I opted for education in academic fields instead.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

I liked the chickens.

reptar
Laurie Daley

Post by reptar »

T_R wrote:I liked the chickens.
Holder had great chickens
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

He has 236 votes so far, compared with Meegan Fitzharris who has 7297
Toviii
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Rapana

Post by Toviii »

So true it hurts:
http://www.sbs.com.au/comedy/article/20 ... own-castle

I'm declaring war on the baby boomers who want to take our brunch away

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
'I've got 17 blokes in that dressing room that are hurting'
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Hahaha was that Dan Evans or dubby that wrote that??
Toviii
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Rapana

Post by Toviii »

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
'I've got 17 blokes in that dressing room that are hurting'
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Pigman wrote:For the most part I can agree with that post
The major area of disagreement for me is the idea that Turnbull could have just told the far right to **** off and won the election in a landslide

He would never have made it to an election to win in said landslide if he told them to **** off. He'd have been ousted for someone who was more aligned to the party's power base

Edit: and maybe Turnbull should have told them to **** off anyways and at least he'd be able to hold his head up high on the matter, but I'm not naive enough to believe politicians are any different to you or I, and they do what is best for their own careers. Turnbull insisting on a parliamentary vote would be career suicide
I don't know. Once he had the leadership I think he could have told them to piss off. They surely wouldn't have ditched a second leader in the space of 6 months before an election would they? Would have been total suicide for the party. But these guys aren't really rational or logical, so I suppose it's possible. I think if he does that and wins the election comfortably on his terms then the right have a lot harder time turfing him. This way he's virtually signed his own death warrant.

As with most people, I was thinking the big mistake was not going with a snap election. Don't give the electorate long enough with him spouting Tony Abbott policies to get pissed off. Then afterwards he has enough of a majority to tell the right where to go. But with the delusion of the Liberal right thinking that they lost seats in this election because they didn't go conservative enough, I have to think that even if he wins the snap election comfortably the Liberal right still see that as justification of Abbott's policies and seek to topple him ASAP now they have government again.

In essence I think the only way out of the trap was for Turnbull to back his own policies going into last election with the notion that his party toppling him then was political suicide. Every other way seems to me to spell the end of him as Liberal leader in the next 3 years and consigned to history as a weak PM who was wagged by the tail.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

Lyinghelm wants lever action shot guns.
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

gangrenous wrote:

In essence I think the only way out of the trap was for Turnbull to back his own policies going into last election with the notion that his party toppling him then was political suicide. Every other way seems to me to spell the end of him as Liberal leader in the next 3 years and consigned to history as a weak PM who was wagged by the tail.
As I've said either way is suicide for him he either goes out swinging or cowering.

I still reckon LNP will action it this term (if they have any brains), it's the only way they can guarantee they control the provisions, leave it to Labor and they have no power.
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Ah the ACL at it again, at least they're not claiming marriage equality leads to breast cancer only the lie abortions do.

http://www.smh.com.au/lifestyle/news-an ... s535e.html
Schifty
Laurie Daley

Post by Schifty »

I never knew a kebab shop owner paid the wages of the Human Rights Commissioner. Thanks Ross Cameron!

T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Still, that's a lot of kebabs.

Schifty
Laurie Daley

Post by Schifty »

I'm stunned you can still get kebabs for $7.50.

They are definitely around the $10 mark from what I've experienced recently.
reptar
Laurie Daley

Post by reptar »

Yeah, dunno where Mrs Cameron gets his kebabs? Probably somewhere where they don't have a HRC and can exploit child labour.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley

T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Oh Malcolm, you could have been anything :(

Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Nothing to lose by calling for a free vote in parliament ;)
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

It's Perfectly Legal To Tell Fred Nile To **** Off, Judge Says

https://www.buzzfeed.com/aliceworkman/f ... .auNdO7L2n

The headline itself just cracks me up :lol:
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

I am surprised they do not include:-
OSR / Payroll and other taxes.
Workers comp insurance
etc etc
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley

A Sydney division of the Liberal Party will debate whether Australia should end all immigration and ban all refugees, after an incendiary motion was put forward calling migrants "criminals" and "bastards".

The president of the Carlingford branch, George Popowski, will use a party conference on Thursday to call on the Turnbull government to halt "all immigration and refugee intakes" until an investigation can establish the "risks and benefits" for Australia.

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/federal ... sek63.html
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Ugh, that's simply awful, GeM.