Discuss all the events of the day

Moderator: GH Moderators

Schifty
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Re: The Politics Thread 2016

Post by Schifty »

Hawkins can go **** himself.

Save your local club = let us keep our pokies riches from problem gamblers and we'll throw some scraps at community sport.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

reptar wrote:Can i marry yet?
Nope. Tell your marriageless story walkin, pal!
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Yes, but there may be some lifestyle changes involved.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
reptar
Laurie Daley

Post by reptar »

T_R wrote:
Yes, but there may be some lifestyle changes involved.
Will Abetz help me celebrate them?
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
Raidersfan
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: George Clooney

Re: ACT Opposition refuse to commit to new Canberra Stadium

Post by Raidersfan »

You vote Labor.

Local Liberal Party are running the most dishonest campaign I have seen. Being a Liberal Party supporter for some 30 years they will not be getting my vote this time around.
I don't post facts
Raidersfan
Ruben Wiki

Re: ACT Opposition refuse to commit to new Canberra Stadium

Post by Raidersfan »

Liberal Party have not committed to anything really, not just a new Stadium.

Actually I'm wrong with that statement ... they've committed to a major new transport policy by making Northbourne Ave a four lane super highway, throwing a few extra buses on that route and calling that a solution to an integrated mass public transport system. I can just imagine the reply they get from the NCA when they ask them can they carve two extra car lanes into the Walter Burley Griffin's Northbourne median strip.
Last edited by Raidersfan on October 14, 2016, 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I don't post facts
Raidersfan
Ruben Wiki

Post by Raidersfan »

Yea vote Liberal my ass ...

They are opposed to light rail (for political purposes, back in 2010 they were all for it) and have attempted to convince the population that it will cost us approx $500 extra in our rates. Now considering the cost of constructing light rail is less than 1% of total government expenditure over the next four years compared with 3% for roads and 55% for education / health that would mean that the later three would be indicated in our rates to the tune of 58 x $500 = $29,000 per household. Add the other services the government provides and our total rates should be approx $35,000 per household.

Umm something tells me he Libs aren’t telling the truth.

When interviewed today on local radio the Liberal leader was asked why light rail was so successful in European cities. He came back with the answer their roads were built in medieval times and therefore are not really suited to cars … bahahahahaha … the guy has his head so deep in sand he’ll strike water shortly.
I don't post facts
Manbush
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Luke Turner

Post by Manbush »

Nope but hold the phone, read an interesting article earlier that some LNP are pushing the party to settle it this term as they're afraid that leaving it to Labor they won't be able to set the conditions like I'm guessing the legal discrimination that was in the plebiscite.
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
Raidersfan
Ruben Wiki

Post by Raidersfan »

So Marko who are you voting for tomorrow
I don't post facts
Schifty
Laurie Daley

Post by Schifty »

Raidersfan wrote:So Marko who are you voting for tomorrow
Labor and Greens.

Sex Party and LIke Canberra might get some of my later preferences.

Will be leaving the Liberals blank along with reclaim Australia W@nker that is running as an independent in a bid to hide his agenda.
Raidersfan
Ruben Wiki

Post by Raidersfan »

^^^ Good man

Any particular issue or are you just a Labor man generally
I don't post facts
Schifty
Laurie Daley

Post by Schifty »

City to the Lake looks amazing.

They are also the only party with an actual long term vision for Canberra.

Libs major policy to deal with congestion of population growth is to literally paint some buses.

Colour coded routes and buses: a fleet of new Rapid
buses will be colour coded to reflect the routes they operate
including colour matching bus stations, signage, way-finding
and timetable information
Rapid buses will be modern and
brightly painted to make them
attractive and stand out in the urban
environment. The interior seating
will also be comfortable and modern
in appearance.
http://www.canberratransportfuture.com. ... Future.pdf
Raidersfan
Ruben Wiki

Post by Raidersfan »

Totally agree with you although light rail is the killer for me.

The local Libs want Canberra to be ever reliant on cars and buses burning fossil fuels rather than a modern light rail system fuelled by 100% renewable energy. They’ve made a big song and dance act about light rail but are more than happy to throw cash at roads without question.

You just have to look at how busy Northbourne Ave is atm and think 5 years when more suburbs in Gungahlin come on line. Building an extra lane is akin to loosening your belt as you become more obese.

And of course their opposition to light rail, as an integrated mass public transport system, also completely ignores the other benefits that light rail brings to the city such as medium density residential developments along its corridor.

And they don’t mind tearing up the LR contracts for work that has already commenced .. calculated to cost the ACT taxpayer some $300m to get a big fat donut.
I don't post facts
Schifty
Laurie Daley

Post by Schifty »

In 2008 the Libs were complaining the Light Rail was taking too long to start...
Raidersfan
Ruben Wiki

Post by Raidersfan »

^^^ Yup brightly coloured buses ... that's their public transport policy ... lets paint the buses a different colour and see if we can attract more people to use public transport.

Einstein's theory ... Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different result
I don't post facts
Raidersfan
Ruben Wiki

Post by Raidersfan »

Unfortunately their mud throwing exercise will, I'm sure, have stuck on some. People see corflutes on the side of the road "Trams = Higher Taxes" and they believe it without doing any research.
I don't post facts
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The only comment I'd make is that it must have reached a fairly serious point for a footy club when it concludes that one side of politics has policies that are so unsupportive that they feel they should intervene in this way.
100%green
Don Furner

Post by 100%green »

This is another of their great solutions for traffic!

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk
Raidersfan
Ruben Wiki

Post by Raidersfan »

Great article in the CT .. if Canberra can't afford light rail who can ..

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/comment ... rmuwm.html
I don't post facts
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Well just back from voting. I voted the right way!
Manbush
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Luke Turner

Post by Manbush »

greeneyed wrote:Well just back from voting. I voted the right way!
Cool so Sex Party got your vote, you're always full of surprises GE :)
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

They didn't stand in my electorate.
Raidersfan
Ruben Wiki

Post by Raidersfan »

greeneyed wrote:Well just back from voting. I voted the right way!
Well done ge .. one more for light rail
I don't post facts
Raidersfan
Ruben Wiki

Post by Raidersfan »

I'm a Lib supporter from way back but at these elections I made a conscious decision not to blindly follow the party I have always voted for.
Imho the Labor Party and Greens have done a great job in a period when the Fed Libs have attempted to destroy our major workforce being the PS.
I looked to the future of our great city and I voted for the party that has a vision for the city. Throwing more buses onto an ever increasing traffic gridlock is solving next weeks problem not those problems we will face in the next decade .. bit like loosening your belt after putting on a few kg's.
A target of 100% renewable energy by 2020 (which light rail will utilise) is something I support.
At these elections I voted with my brain and my feet. I voted for ALL of Canberra not just my street and I did NOT vote with an attitude of 'what's in it for me'
I don't post facts
100%green
Don Furner

Post by 100%green »

Raidersfan wrote:I'm a Lib supporter from way back but at these elections I made a conscious decision not to blindly follow the party I have always voted for.
Imho the Labor Party and Greens have done a great job in a period when the Fed Libs have attempted to destroy our major workforce being the PS.
I looked to the future of our great city and I voted for the party that has a vision for the city. Throwing more buses onto an ever increasing traffic gridlock is solving next weeks problem not those problems we will face in the next decade .. bit like loosening your belt after putting on a few kg's.
A target of 100% renewable energy by 2020 (which light rail will utilise) is something I support.
At these elections I voted with my brain and my feet. I voted for ALL of Canberra not just my street and I did NOT vote with an attitude of 'what's in it for me'
The city has grown under the Labor Government. They haven't gotten everything right but no government does. The Liberals scare me with what they could do. The lack of a plan for our future such as transport, City to the lake, stadium and more is a worry that I hoe Canberrans take notice of!

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

Parents of some junior rugby league clubs received emails telling them Labor and Greens want to destroy their local club. Hawkins signature was at the bottom of the email.

**** that guy. He's put the Raiders and junior rugby league in a really **** position. It's one thing to express a political opinion. It's entirely different to pick sides and front a deliberately misleading, scare campaign.
Raidersfan
Ruben Wiki

Post by Raidersfan »

^^^
Unfortunately 90% of the Libs campaign was based on fear .. if you throw enough mud some is bound to stick. I would have to say that this is one of the most dishonest election campaigns I have experienced to the point of being frustrating in knowing that the average Joe and Mary out there believe the BS and will vote accordingly.

If the Libs get in and the light rail contract is torn up the reputation of this city to do business will take a beating.
I don't post facts
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

ACT Votes

Polls closed for thirty minutes.

No votes counted!
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Murrumbidgee 6.5 swing away from Labor on pre poll. 14.5 per cent counted.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley

Can't see the Libs getting 13.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley

ABC has pretty much called it. Labor + Greens with 13 or 14 seats.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

*phew*
Schifty
Laurie Daley

Post by Schifty »

Most dirty and negative campaign in history and the Libs have had a swing of -3.8% against them.

Labor gov going for 5th term has +1.2%

Good call Hawkins.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Green eyed Mick wrote:ABC has pretty much called it. Labor + Greens with 13 or 14 seats.
GWS will be happy.
Raidersfan
Ruben Wiki

Post by Raidersfan »

greeneyed wrote:Murrumbidgee 6.5 swing away from Labor on pre poll. 14.5 per cent counted.
Quickly went south from there ge
I don't post facts