Discuss all the events of the day

Moderator: GH Moderators

Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Re: The Politics Thread 2016

Post by Green eyed Mick »

simo wrote:
greeneyed wrote:Given the plebiscite was not intended to be binding... can anyone explain what it achieves? I doubt the result would change a single parliamentarian's mind.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
it would have allowed for a genuine discussion about the facts against gay marriage, of which i assume there are thousands but people dont get a chance to air them out of fear.
The GH is a safe place to air your concerns. Name 5.
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

Green eyed Mick wrote:
simo wrote:
greeneyed wrote:Given the plebiscite was not intended to be binding... can anyone explain what it achieves? I doubt the result would change a single parliamentarian's mind.

it would have allowed for a genuine discussion about the facts against gay marriage, of which i assume there are thousands but people dont get a chance to air them out of fear.
i assume youre new here? Hi, im simo
Dont delete this GE
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley

simo wrote:
Green eyed Mick wrote:
simo wrote:

You said there are thousands of reasons people don't discuss the facts against marriage equality. I will settle for 5.

I'm a reasonable person and a supporter of marriage equality. I will go first.

Reason 1. LGBTI people are people and all people have a right to be treated equally under the law.
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

Green eyed Mick wrote:
simo wrote:
Green eyed Mick wrote:
simo wrote:

You said there are thousands of reasons people don't discuss the facts against marriage equality. I will settle for 5.

I'm a reasonable person and a supporter of marriage equality. I will go first.

Reason 1. LGBTI people are people and all people have a right to be treated equally under the law.
oh mick. Mick mick mick
Dont delete this GE
Manbush
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Luke Turner

Post by Manbush »

GEM I think you'll find Simo was being sarcastic.
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Green eyed Mick wrote:
The government essentially offered the LGBTI community a **** sandwich
Pretty much sums it up and can understand why the government did and are surprised they said no. Every other **** sandwich they've previously been offered under the guise of equality they've grudgingly accepted, it's good to see the community has developed the backbone (largely thanks I'm guessing to the support of the majority of Australia) to say no it's not good enough.
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
Professor
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Bae

Post by Professor »

You watch my educational video, mate?
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Haha yes mate, bit simplistic an idea though when we're talking mass media advertising
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Here are my thoughts updated.

I don't think anyone in here thinks the plebiscite is the best way to Marriage Equality. I think everyone agrees a parliamentary vote is best, no?

So the Liberals have the power to go with the best option, and they don't. They offer the plebiscite as the long winding **** way to marriage equality.
Labor have the best option as their policy, but they lost the election and are now blocking the long winding **** way which appears to be the only hope for ME in the next three years.

I think that there is then far too much "I'm definitely right and you're definitely wrong" from those who are pro ME but against a plebiscite and those pro ME but for the plebiscite. There are reasonable, rational arguments in favour of both. I think it comes very much down to personal opinion/experience/network.
- If you're person A and you largely have gay friends who have been couples for years and years and just want to be married, they probably don't care about what the ACL say because they're older, they know themselves, and they're now beyond caring about the Bull. You're probably happy for the plebiscite just to get this over with.

- If you're person B and you know a gay teen who's told you that bullies have been harassing them about this, telling them their dad's voting No so that they can't marry Mr.X the principal, and putting ACL posters on their locker. Well there's not much cost to your teen friend waiting 2.5 years. You're probably in favour of ditching the plebiscite because the emotional toll and monetary cost aren't worth it.

Ultimately all of this should not be a problem. It shouldn't come down to squabbling over whether the positives of the half-rate measure outweigh the negatives. But it has, and for that I blame the Liberal party, and Malcolm Turnbull's strategy in particular. If he had the guts to tell the right to piss off before the election, he wins in a landslide and they'd find it hard to justify ousting him. Now because he offered no change the electorate didn't support him, and leaves him in a position of having to bow to the right or he will be gone.

In general I think marriage equality advocates should have more time for those who are on the other side of the plebiscite argument. They're valid reasons for both. Blaming Labor for their position is doing the same thing (although I will concede that Labor's choice of sides is probably dominantly swayed by what **** up Liberal more). More blame to go to Liberals for being stupid and or poor tacticians I say.

Let's do a parliamentary vote.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

The Politics Thread 2016

Post by Botman »

For the most part I can agree with that post
The major area of disagreement for me is the idea that Turnbull could have just told the far right to **** off and won the election in a landslide

He would never have made it to an election to win in said landslide if he told them to **** off. He'd have been ousted for someone who was more aligned to the party's power base

Edit: and maybe Turnbull should have told them to **** off anyways and at least he'd be able to hold his head up high on the matter, but I'm not naive enough to believe politicians are any different to you or I, and they do what is best for their own careers. Turnbull insisting on a parliamentary vote would be career suicide
Cranky Old Man
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Sam Backo

Post by Cranky Old Man »

gangrenous wrote:Here are my thoughts updated.

I don't think anyone in here thinks the plebiscite is the best way to Marriage Equality. I think everyone agrees a parliamentary vote is best, no?

So the Liberals have the power to go with the best option, and they don't. They offer the plebiscite as the long winding **** way to marriage equality.
Labor have the best option as their policy, but they lost the election and are now blocking the long winding **** way which appears to be the only hope for ME in the next three years.

I think that there is then far too much "I'm definitely right and you're definitely wrong" from those who are pro ME but against a plebiscite and those pro ME but for the plebiscite. There are reasonable, rational arguments in favour of both. I think it comes very much down to personal opinion/experience/network.
- If you're person A and you largely have gay friends who have been couples for years and years and just want to be married, they probably don't care about what the ACL say because they're older, they know themselves, and they're now beyond caring about the Bull. You're probably happy for the plebiscite just to get this over with.

- If you're person B and you know a gay teen who's told you that bullies have been harassing them about this, telling them their dad's voting No so that they can't marry Mr.X the principal, and putting ACL posters on their locker. Well there's not much cost to your teen friend waiting 2.5 years. You're probably in favour of ditching the plebiscite because the emotional toll and monetary cost aren't worth it.

Ultimately all of this should not be a problem. It shouldn't come down to squabbling over whether the positives of the half-rate measure outweigh the negatives. But it has, and for that I blame the Liberal party, and Malcolm Turnbull's strategy in particular. If he had the guts to tell the right to piss off before the election, he wins in a landslide and they'd find it hard to justify ousting him. Now because he offered no change the electorate didn't support him, and leaves him in a position of having to bow to the right or he will be gone.

In general I think marriage equality advocates should have more time for those who are on the other side of the plebiscite argument. They're valid reasons for both. Blaming Labor for their position is doing the same thing (although I will concede that Labor's choice of sides is probably dominantly swayed by what **** up Liberal more). More blame to go to Liberals for being stupid and or poor tacticians I say.

Let's do a parliamentary vote.
I fairly strongly agree with all this, with an added kicker. Plebiscites as a means of deciding legislation are wrong. Pretty much the sole justification for full time, well salaried Parliamentarians is that the time and lack of financial hardship allows them to study all the ramifications, and ultimate desirability of each piece of legislation presented and then making a decision on behalf of the electorate they represent. Allowing them to handpass any complex or contentious matter to a plebiscite where most voters tend to make decisions based on simplistic evidence or personal predjudices not necessarily based on any reputable evidence is not what the nation needs and is an abrogation of their responsibilities as Parliamentarians. If they are not up to the job they were elected to perform they should resign and allow themselves to be replaced by a competent replacement. Having a "non binding" plebiscite is even worse, it is just a hugely expensive time waster designed to achieve nothing.
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Either way now though it's career suicide, his popularity with the public is dropping too far and with continued pressure will only continue to drop, he basically has a decision IMO of how he wants to go out, guns blazing for what's right and see his popularity rise or go out cowering to his puppet masters, how does he want his time in charge remembered.
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by reptar »

Does anyone think George Christensen is up to the job?
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

He's up to it as much as Trump is
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

reptar wrote:Does anyone think George Christensen is up to the job?
@Nickman
Your mate
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

The Politics Thread 2016

Post by The Nickman »

One thing I do know is that if Georgie Boy somehow became prime minister of Australia I'm rocking up to his dorm room at Parliament House with a goon bag under each arm and wearing a goon box on my head to celebrate!
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Think a white sheet on your head would be more appropriate attire around George
Schifty
Laurie Daley

Post by Schifty »

If it wasn't for a couple nationals threatening to bring down the government we would have Marriage Equality passed by now.

Turnbull should call their Bull bluff.. What are they going to do? Form a coalition with Labor?

Even if they voted no confidence and a new election was called they would have to campaign against their sugar daddy and become even less relevant as Libs would put candidates in all their seats.

They'd eventually become even more irrelevant in the senate as well.
Professor
Steve Walters

Post by Professor »

The Nickman wrote:One thing I do know is that if Georgie Boy somehow became prime minister of Australia I'm rocking up to his dorm room at Parliament House with a goon bag under each arm and wearing a goon box on my head to celebrate!
If he has a spinning clothesline, I'm there with bells on. Love me some goon of fortune!
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

The Nickman wrote:One thing I do know is that if Georgie Boy somehow became prime minister of Australia I'm rocking up to his dorm room at Parliament House with a goon bag under each arm and wearing a goon box on my head to celebrate!
Thegh needs more boxhead !!!
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Schifty wrote:If it wasn't for a couple nationals threatening to bring down the government we would have Marriage Equality passed by now.

Turnbull should call their Bull bluff.. What are they going to do? Form a coalition with Labor?

Even if they voted no confidence and a new election was called they would have to campaign against their sugar daddy and become even less relevant as Libs would put candidates in all their seats.

They'd eventually become even more irrelevant in the senate as well.
Yep and if marriage equality has the numbers within his party as has been suggested what's he got to fear, time to put the Nationals in their place.
Professor
Steve Walters

Post by Professor »

I watched your mate JJ recently on Netflix - thought it was quite good, but thought he spent too long talking about toilet training his son.

Off topic, I know, but what of it!?
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

I imagine that will be his plan once the plebiscite vote fails.

Have another meeting of the liberals see if they can allow a free vote.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Professor wrote:
If he has a spinning clothesline, I'm there with bells on. Love me some goon of fortune!
What a game
Professor
Steve Walters

Post by Professor »

Pigman wrote:
Professor wrote:
What a game
Haha yeah. Do you go just wine? We usually get the worst of worst wine as our "bankrupt",
whilst including one bag of a vodka mix for "top dollar". The rest is low to mid range wine.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Just goon for me back in the day, of varying quality haha

That vodka mix for top dollar sounds like an excellent adjustment! Haha
Professor
Steve Walters

Post by Professor »

Pigman wrote:Just goon for me back in the day, of varying quality haha

That vodka mix for top dollar sounds like an excellent adjustment! Haha
Oh, it's the best. Landing on it when in need for respite is the lick. Especially for me as if I land on a red I'm **** - don't like it at all.
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Professor wrote:I watched your mate JJ recently on Netflix - thought it was quite good, but thought he spent too long talking about toilet training his son.

Seen too many can't remember that bit, suffering from new dad syndrome I'm guessing can't shut up about the smallest detail.
Professor
Steve Walters

Post by Professor »

Manbush wrote:
Professor wrote:I watched your mate JJ recently on Netflix - thought it was quite good, but thought he spent too long talking about toilet training his son.

Seen too many can't remember that bit, suffering from new dad syndrome I'm guessing can't shut up about the smallest detail.
This is the newest one, I believe.
100%green
Don Furner

Post by 100%green »

Pretty disappointed in our club sending out this sort of thing!

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk
Walt Flanigan
Jason Croker

Re: ACT Opposition refuse to commit to new Canberra Stadium

Post by Walt Flanigan »

Anyone else get an SMS from "RaidersGrP" telling them to vote Liberal?
100%green
Don Furner

Re: ACT Opposition refuse to commit to new Canberra Stadium

Post by 100%green »

Pretty disappointed to be honest.

Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Canberra liberals sound an open bunch, spotted before Jeremy Hanson blocked Sex Partys Andrew Dewson on Twitter
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley

100%green wrote:Image

Pretty disappointed in our club sending out this sort of thing!

Agree. I don't want my football club telling me who to vote for.
reptar
Laurie Daley

Post by reptar »

Can i marry yet?
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.