The Politics Thread 2016

Discuss all the events of the day

Moderator: GH Moderators

simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Re: The Politics Thread

Post by simo »

I said sharia law. Not sharia. I was referring specifically to sharia law.
Youre the one who said saudis in australia found our laws to be oppressive. Is that them giving a toss??
Dont delete this GE
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

The Sharia system is called Sharia Law. It has very little to so with our legal system, though. Most of it is related to religious, community and lifestyle matters.

You have deliberately misunderstood me. What I meant was that I don't know any Saudi who would be remotely interested in seeing any aspect of Sharia law in any way enforced in Australia.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Manbush
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Luke Turner

Post by Manbush »

T_R wrote:We're very, very regulated in Australia...lots of people come here and find it a nanny state.

Saudis particularly find things like speed cameras shocking. That level of government surveillance is completely contrary to their experience.
No offence but they really should look at their own backyard for what oppressive is, blasphemy a death sentence, talisman and books enough to get you done for witchcraft which they have a unit specifically to investigate, I agree we're a bit of a nanny state but hardly comparable.
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

T_R wrote:.
What I meant was that I don't know any Saudi who would be remotely interested in seeing any aspect of Sharia law in any way enforced in Australia.
Give it time mate just look at the UK. We'll both agree I'm sure that most Muslims here and in the UK don't want the barbaric ones set as law but like the UK the more radicalised Muslims will.
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Manbush wrote:
T_R wrote:We're very, very regulated in Australia...lots of people come here and find it a nanny state.

Saudis particularly find things like speed cameras shocking. That level of government surveillance is completely contrary to their experience.
No offence but they really should look at their own backyard for what oppressive is, blasphemy a death sentence, talisman and books enough to get you done for witchcraft which they have a unit specifically to investigate, I agree we're a bit of a nanny state but hardly comparable.
'A unit' Image

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Manbush wrote:

None of those things impact 99.99999% of the population ever.

Most Saudis I speak to consider Australia far less free (governmentally) than the KSA

Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Considering according to gallop polls 19 percent are non religious and 5% are atheists that 99.9999% is a bit off, then take into account anyone who doesn't like the government I'd say it impacts a lot of lives and their ability to speak freely for fear of the death penalty, tow the line or you're locked up, whipped or dead, there's also education system which teaches creationism over evolution which affects everyone, I'm sure I can come up with more if you want.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

You can definitely do that. But you'd still look like a plonker with Google access but a severe inability to actually process information.

T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Manbush wrote:Considering according to gallop polls 19 percent are non religious and 5% are atheists that 99.9999% is a bit off, then take into account anyone who doesn't like the government I'd say it impacts a lot of lives and their ability to speak freely for fear of the death penalty, tow the line or you're locked up, whipped or dead, there's also education system which teaches creationism over evolution which affects everyone, I'm sure I can come up with more if you want.
Start with this. You keep telling me that apostasy carries the death penalty. You then tell me that 24% of the country are apostates.

You don't see a conflict in your reasoning?

Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Well possibly because apostasy is leaving a religion, if you aren't a member of one to begin you can't exactly leave it can you?

apostasy
əˈpɒstəsi/
noun
the abandonment or renunciation of a religious or political belief or principle.

Do you deny apostasy is a crime punishable by death there?

Sorry should've also added homosexual acts as a crime punishable by death, so that also increases those affected.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

It's also illegal to smoke dope and possession of in Australia, but that doesn't stop some.
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

:lol:

The law still affects us even though people choose not to follow it. :P
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Manbush wrote:Well possibly because apostasy is leaving a religion, if you aren't a member of one to begin you can't exactly leave it can you?

apostasy
əˈpɒstəsi/
noun
the abandonment or renunciation of a religious or political belief or principle.

Do you deny apostasy is a crime punishable by death there?

Sorry should've also added homosexual acts as a crime punishable by death, so that also increases those affected.
Actually, as Islam assumes all those born into the religion follow it, any atheist is considered an apostate.

Please do at least basic research before setting off on one of your tirades.

T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

dubby wrote:It's also illegal to smoke dope and possession of in Australia, but that doesn't stop some. Image
A point well made.

There is a huge difference between a law existing, and it being enforced.

Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

T_R wrote: Actually, as Islam assumes all those born into the religion follow it, any atheist is considered an apostate.

Please do at least basic research before setting off on one of your tirades.
If they were born into the religion then become atheists yes they are apostates which is leaving a religion, not everyone is born into a religion though.

Edit: Before you say it yes I'm aware Muslims believe everyone is born Muslim, that would be a bit much for even them to enforce though, was having a fun conversation the other night with one who said even Jesus and Mary were Muslims. :lol:
Last edited by Manbush on January 4, 2016, 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

T_R wrote:
dubby wrote:It's also illegal to smoke dope and possession of in Australia, but that doesn't stop some. Image
A point well made.

There is a huge difference between a law existing, and it being enforced.
Are you saying they don't enforce laws regarding apostasy, blasphemy, witchcraft and homosexuality, they let people get away with it?
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Accepting your figures regarding atheism in the Kingdom, I'd say that it's blindingly obvious that at least 1/5 Saudis is absolutely getting away with it. You can't come here and contradict yourself without confusing those of us with simpler minds.

I also know at least one openly gay Saudi guy, and he's wandering around happily enough. I am going to put it out there that there are probably more of 'em out there, too.

So, yeah, it's clear that they aren't very enforced at all.

And before you get all worked up and excited and quote me information about people convicted of those crimes, I am aware that some have been. I am also 100% certain that there was more to each and every one of those cases than met the eye - the sheer weight of evidence that you yourself have quoted at me makes that clear. Hell, think about how a Gallop poll works - some anonymous person at the end of the phone line asks you about your religious beliefs. If the country is so repressive, and the danger so great, why in the name of God would ANYONE say 'atheist', let along 20% of the population?

By the way, this will please you. Saudi has the death penalty for drugs. It is completely and utterly ignored in personal use cases - Saudis are the biggest pot heads in the world.

Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

The figures don't say 1/5th are getting away with it as I've never said being non Muslim was a crime, not everyone is born into a religion.

The openly gay one is interesting considering the extent they have gone to to bust people, raids, undercover on dating sites etc, he's a game man

Doesn't surprise me some get away with certain crimes and others don't, happens around the world regardless of the laws, also the way they charge can distort truths, some who were sentenced as terrorists last year appear to have only been protestors.

Once again why wouldn't they answer atheist (only 5%), being atheist isn't a crime but calling for atheist thought is, not all atheists are vocal.

Will have to look into the potheads bit a bit more, it's against what's acceptable in Islam and a quick search just showed me people being arrested and some executed for it not it being popular.

Edit: just saw a marijuana travel guide, reckon pot is virtually non existent but hash is everywhere (yes hash would make one a pothead)
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Manbush. Please. Listen.

In Saudi Arabia at birth you are considered a Muslim. That is what you are. If you are no longer a Muslim at some point, then you are an apostate.

That's how it works.

As for homosexuality being something that they are trying so hard to bust - maybe, but here's the clincher....he's a military officer. In most Western countries, he would not be allowed to hold his commission. In repressive Saudi Arabia, no one gives a ****.

You may also want to learn a little more about homosexuality in Islam. You might want to start by learning up on the most repressive Muslims of all, the Afghan Taliban. No gay guys there...right?

Look, I'm really bored with this. You know absolutely nothing that I can't find myself in ten seconds on Google, and even then it wouldn't be right. It's been fun mate, but you've had too many stumbles in this one to hold my interest.

Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Already addressed the first paragraph, judging everyone born who didn't join Islam as apostates would be too much for even them, they do seem more inclined to combine it with blasphemy.

I know enough about homosexuality in Islam for it to be one of their major sins as it is with Christianity doesn't mean there aren't hypocrites amongst them as there are within Christianity regarding homosexuality. I think raiding gay parties and going under cover to bust gays is enough to say the religious police try to bust them.

Can't forget about those damn witches and sorcerers either, deserve all they get.

You'll have to forgive me for taking what you say with a grain of salt compared to world news, human rights groups and Muslims I've spoken to. You've admitted you're on their payroll and as with your Japan comment earlier (something you had a go at me months ago for) I know you enjoy being contradictory.

Edit: Cheers on the Taliban/gay thing, read an interesting article and it sounds like a convenient loophole if use boys or effeminate men, the penetrator isn't considered gay also some loopholes for the penetratee for lack of a better word, will have to remember that when I'm talking with a Muslim who spouts Islams hatred for gays (happens more than you might expect :lol: ).
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Green eyed Mick wrote:
Seiffert82 wrote:I've often wondered if Peter Dutton qualifies for special needs assistance under the NDIS.
Nah. He's just your garden variety prick
Yeah on second thoughts my post was pretty insensitive to those using the NDIS.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Gee I've missed this thread while I've been on holiday. Some classic stuff here.

While we're at it though, can we just rename this thread "The well versed and well travelled TR discusses religion with the bigoted white 40-something year old Australian male, Manbush" and be done with it??
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

The Nickman wrote:Gee I've missed this thread while I've been on holiday. Some classic stuff here.

While we're at it though, can we just rename this thread "The well versed and well travelled TR discusses religion with the bigoted white 40-something year old Australian male, Manbush" and be done with it??
Bigoted? I've said my sympathy is with the citizens and with the people who are being whipped, jailed and executed, i.e. Gays, blashemers, witches and sorcerers. Yes criticising a government for barbaric laws is called bigotry by your definition, sorry I put more weight on world news reports and human rights groups than someone's personal stories who is on their governments payroll. For mine bigotry would be more defending the abuse of gays, witches etc.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

:lol: never change.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

No, Manbush, you always throw comments out there like "I have sympathy with blah blah blah" or "I'm not sexist," but then you follow up with the word "but" and then launch into some of the most sexist, racist, ignorant **** there ever is to see on this forum. TR is debating you from his own PERSONAL experience, you're just Googling whatever rubbish backs up your insular view of the world as a single, white Australian, 40-something year old male who lives in a privileged society.

It's like you somehow believe you're liberating women by purchasing two eighteen year old hookers for your 40th birthday.
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

So you agree that gays, blashemers, witches etc aren't persecuted and arrested possibly facing the death penalty? You think the Saudi government treats them fairly and have good progressive laws? You agree with someone who is on their payroll, who cannot provide any evidence except personal stories, who twists the definition of apostasy to which no sharia government has ever enforced that way.

If so go to Saudi, preach atheistic beliefs, question Islam, pretend to practice witchcraft and try to hit on some religious police, let's see how that works for you.

Yay lets defend barbaric laws while we criticise our own for a lot less.

#SueMeSaudi
Last edited by Manbush on January 5, 2016, 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Wonder if the courts will give this prick the new mandatory minimum sentence for his coward punch. (He's a prick for the punch before anyone calls me racist since he's a Maori)

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/quee ... d500e1dee0
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Manbush wrote:Wonder if the courts will give this prick the new mandatory minimum sentence for his coward punch. (He's a prick for the punch before anyone calls me racist since he's a Maori)

You see?? It's the fact that YOU felt the need to point out that he's a Maori that makes you such a horrible racist!!

You're a classic middle-aged, single, white guy who is threatened by everyone else in the world whilst having everything handed to you on a silver platter.

It's fantastic stuff.
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

The Nickman wrote:
Manbush wrote:Wonder if the courts will give this prick the new mandatory minimum sentence for his coward punch. (He's a prick for the punch before anyone calls me racist since he's a Maori)

You see?? It's the fact that YOU felt the need to point out that he's a Maori that makes you such a horrible racist!!

You're a classic middle-aged, single, white guy who is threatened by everyone else in the world whilst having everything handed to you on a silver platter.

It's fantastic stuff.
Nah had to mention it before one of you idiots spotted his race and decided to use that as racism, **** even criticising a government for how they treat their citizens was classified as racism on here so any things possible. Love to know what I'm threatened by?
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

The Nickman wrote:No, Manbush, you always throw comments out there like "I have sympathy with blah blah blah" or "I'm not sexist," but then you follow up with the word "but" and then launch into some of the most sexist, racist, ignorant **** there ever is to see on this forum. TR is debating you from his own PERSONAL experience, you're just Googling whatever rubbish backs up your insular view of the world as a single, white Australian, 40-something year old male who lives in a privileged society.

It's like you somehow believe you're liberating women by purchasing two eighteen year old hookers for your 40th birthday.
Jebus that's harsh what does MB's personal preferences have to do with anything?

I don't fully understand what MB is getting at but the reality is the Saudi government has a history of serious human rights violations. Torture, coerced confessions, arbitrary detention without arrest, denying access to legal representation, charging of children as adults, corporal and capital punishment and that's just their judicial system. Unfortunately, Saudi Arabia is hardly unique and whilst predominantly Muslim countries do tend to dominate the list of serious human rights abusers, religion doesn't seem to be the reason such abuses take place, even if it is used to justify them. North Korea has no state religion, Uganda is a predominantly Christian country, Nigeria is half Muslim and half Christian, while Myanmar and Cambodia are Buddhist countries.

On a personal note I think more Australians (looking at you MB) should spend as much time looking in their own backyard as they do peering over the fence. Our own record on human rights isn't good. We also arbitrarily and indefinitely detain people, including children in open defiance of international human rights and refugee treaties and covenants. A hell of a lot of Australians support this policy, even though many of these people are ethnic minorities, fleeing from some of the worst human rights abusers on the planet. How people can find sympathy for persecuted minorities and individuals halfway across the globe but none for those that seek our protection is impossible for me to understand.
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Agree we do also have to look at our own backyard, Australia's far from perfect and there are many suffering here but it doesn't mean we can't also be critical of those which are infinitely worse, Saudi is but one of those. A judicial system which sentences a teenage victim of gang rape to 200 lashes should never be defended (the king did eventually pardon her after pressure from the west). There are many proven barbaric acts by their system, they are as close to being Isis as any government could be.

#SueMeSaudi

Edit: My point GEM was they are a barbaric government and that was it, any group that punishes witchcraft and sorcery belong in the Middle Ages not in the 21st century, to be fair some Christians are still burning witches in Africa, they're still being killed in PNG so Saudi isn't alone but as far as I'm aware it is the only government sanctioned one.

Nickmans problem is one that's become all too common in the west, forgetting the true meaning of the word bigot, just uses that and racism to shut down debates and abuse anyone that doesn't agree with them when there is no bigotry and racism present, in the process turning themselves into bigots.
The middle ground seems to remain quiet due to it, the vocal ones tend to be PC Principles or hateful extremists.
Last edited by Manbush on January 6, 2016, 9:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
Shadow Boxer
Ricky Stuart

Post by Shadow Boxer »

Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

IF YOU’RE GOING TO WORRY ABOUT THE CHILDREN... WON'T SOMEONE PLEASE THINK?

http://www.sexparty.org.au/policy/154-i ... ease-think

Internet censorship still on the agenda
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

Id probably be able to drop down a couple of plans
Dont delete this GE
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Manbush wrote:A judicial system which sentences a teenage victim of gang rape to 200 lashes should never be defended (the king did eventually pardon her after pressure from the west).
You're a simpleton, MB, parroting 'facts' that you don't understand. She was never going to be lashed, and pressure from the West had absolutely nothing to do with it.

The King has always acted as a moderating influence on the religious authorities. Remember that this is a country with NO codified law. There is no court of appeals, but they have their own system that gets things right, at least some of the time. People are sentenced to outrageous things all the time. People are often lashed - but they choose to do with it ribbons instead of a whip. People are sentenced, given one whack, and then pardoned from the other 199 at the behest of the King or whoever is acting in his name. People are often sentenced to horrible things, which are never carried out.

The system is ****, we all get it. I agree. I completely oppose so much of what Saudi does. But it's far, far more complicated than you think, and far, far more nuanced than you seem capable of processing. And comparing the Saudi government to ISIS is just plain stupid. The Saudi government is all that stands between the Kingdom and religious fundamentalism. They are the single greatest moderating factor in the region.