The Politics Thread 2016

Discuss all the events of the day

Moderator: GH Moderators

Manbush
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Luke Turner

Re: The Politics Thread

Post by Manbush »

They are as inevitable as the sun rising which is why I'm not a fan of massive bailouts that leave you nothing for when the next one hits, unless you can make up the cash in between.
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

I thought things were looking up??
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

So the CFMEU has been outed as the largest single donor to The Greens - About $300k, I believe.

The same Greens who worked to block the legislation seeking to curb Union corruption in the Senate.

It's not so much that The Greens can be bought, it's just how cheap it is to do so.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Wow, they just don't stand for anything anymore, do they??
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

We should stop unions donating to political parties. It corrupts union officials and it corrupts politicians. We also have to stop businesses, churches and other self-interested rent seekers donating to political parties for the exact same reason.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

I posted the thing above in the hope of very slightly annoying GEM (it's what gets me up in the morning), but in all seriousness I'm pretty taken aback by it.

What gets me is just how cheap it is to buy an outcome. The Greens attempt to claim to fill some kind of moral space in the Australian political scene, but have sided with the most corrupt, thuggish union to block sensible and reasonable reforms....for $300k.

That's really quite stunning.

And I 100% assure you it's not just the Greens that are for sale.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Doubt any person or organisation doesn't have a price, just some are cheaper than others. Greens have become just an extension of Labor so isn't really surprising the unions have them in their pocket.
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Having a nice argument with some one nation candidate on Facebook, she posted the article about Pakistan not banning child brides as its anti islam and the bigots are out in force, she refuses to acknowledge Christian terrorists exist, that some Christians take child brides, that there are good secular Muslims. Trying to point out to her that both the apologist left and hateful right do more damage than good and there needs to be a middle ground, she just can't see it :doubt:
Schifty
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by Schifty »

Anyone else seen this incredible speech?
Shadow Boxer
Ricky Stuart

Post by Shadow Boxer »

Stan grant is a frigging legend, his book is one of the most thought provoking and moving things you will ever read.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Schifty wrote:

Anyone else seen this incredible speech?
Yeah, blew me away.

Can't wait for the likes of Manbush to come in here though and say it doesn't affect him because he treats everybody equally.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Very sobering. I blocked a few people on facebook during the Adam Goodes booing. I still cannot believe that anybody could justify it.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

The Politics Thread

Post by The Nickman »

Gerg wrote:Very sobering. I blocked a few people on facebook during the Adam Goodes booing. I still cannot believe that anybody could justify it.
It's similar to the Chris Gayle incident Gerg, the only people you really see trying to justify either incident are white, generally middle-aged, males.

Or, to put it another way...

Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Holy **** what a **** powerful speech.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Dr Zaius wrote:Holy **** what a **** powerful speech.
Yeah, absolutely amazing, isn't it?
Schifty
Laurie Daley

Post by Schifty »

The Nickman wrote:
Gerg wrote:Very sobering. I blocked a few people on facebook during the Adam Goodes booing. I still cannot believe that anybody could justify it.
It's similar to the Chris Gayle incident Gerg, the only people you really see trying to justify either incident are white, generally middle-aged, males.
Only thing was a few days later when Mel got Mark Waugh's name wrong, apologised and said "I'll buy you a drink" and people started jumping on with the worst false equivalencies ever.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Hahah! Yeah people claiming those two circumstances were the same was the best!

It was like a test to find out who didn't even remotely understand the issues at hand:
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

The Nickman wrote:
Dr Zaius wrote:Holy **** what a **** powerful speech.
Yeah, absolutely amazing, isn't it?
Yeah, it was alright I guess
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Pigman wrote:Hahah! Yeah people claiming those two circumstances were the same was the best!

It was like a test to find out who didn't even remotely understand the issues at hand:
Hahaha it really was.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

The Politics Thread

Post by -TW- »

Tony Abbott recontesting Warringah.. Hope he gets towelled, but unfortunately it's a safe liberal seat
Schifty
Laurie Daley

Post by Schifty »

He's so going to call a spill out of spite 6 weeks from the election when Turnbull is still 109 points ahead of Shorten.
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

The Nickman wrote: Yeah, blew me away.

Can't wait for the likes of Manbush to come in here though and say it doesn't affect him because he treats everybody equally.
Yep was a good speech but **** regressive lefts like yourself are painful, looking for racism and bigotry in everything, using those words to try to shut down any debate even when others are trying to defend the minorities within minorities.
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

The Nickman wrote:

Or, to put it another way...

The flaw in that cartoon is sometimes all people including those within minorities deserve criticism and the only way to achieve anything is to have an open discussion not to be too afraid to speak for fear of idiots falsely accusing others of racism and bigotry to shut down legitimate debate. The regressive left are as big a problem as the extreme right, humanity needs to find the middle ground.
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

Today you are branded a racist or sexist for not being offended on someone elses behalf evwn if they are not offended
Dont delete this GE
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

simo wrote:Today you are branded a racist or sexist for not being offended on someone elses behalf evwn if they are not offended
Absolute rubbish. I don't know a single instance of someone being branded a racist for not being offended.

In my personal experience, people are branded a racist or sexist, y'know, when they're being racist or sexist.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Manbush wrote:

Yep was a good speech but **** regressive lefts like yourself are painful, looking for racism and bigotry in everything, using those words to try to shut down any debate even when others are trying to defend the minorities within minorities.
Right on cue. Nice one, bud.

Tell me once again how tough it is being a white, middle-aged man in today's society.
simo
Ricky Stuart

Post by simo »

The Nickman wrote:
simo wrote:Today you are branded a racist or sexist for not being offended on someone elses behalf evwn if they are not offended
Absolute rubbish. I don't know a single instance of someone being branded a racist for not being offended.

In my personal experience, people are branded a racist or sexist, y'know, when they're being racist or sexist.
did you sleep through the adam goodes saga? Bloke managed to have all rival fans branded racist for doing the norm and booing a rival player they didn't look like. Yeah im sure some people booed him for racial reasons, but the vast majority booed him because he played for an opposition side and they wanted him off his game.
Dont delete this GE
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

The Nickman wrote:
Manbush wrote:

Tell me once again how tough it is being a white, middle-aged man in today's society.
Isn't that in itself being racist, what a white middle aged man has no right to speak up? I've never said it's tough being in my demographic but I sure as hell won't pander to the regressive left and keep my mouth shut, if something deserves criticism it deserves criticism regardless of race, gender or anything else.

Hey I'm an atheist which is a minority (arguably the most persecuted globally), not allowed to criticise me mate, that would be bigotry ;)
Schifty
Laurie Daley

Post by Schifty »

Atheist a minority?

In Canberra no religion was the biggest religious group in Australia. I'd say when you broke it down especially to over 18 year olds it would be close to that nationally.

As for Adam Goodes, when there is a large group of people who are there to boo him for purely racist reasons and you were there to boo him purely for how he plays wouldn't you be thinking "I don't want to be mistaken for one of those racist clowns so I might just sit this one out"

But yeah I'm sure the fact the booing of Goodes rising exponentially after he was Australian of the year and make any sort of a stand against racism was entirely coincidental...
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

No religion also includes agnostics
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley

This is a such a curly issue and there are legit questions to be asked.

Can we still boo Greg Bird and if so why?
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

The Nickman wrote:
Manbush wrote:

Weird assumption from a middle class white male

Dude, everyone has a go at this genre. Everyone. It's pretty cool in the modern era, and convenient.
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Schifty wrote:Atheist a minority?
In Australia according to the census about 23% which makes it a minority, then go globally.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley

simo
Ricky Stuart

Post by simo »

So because a minority of booers did it for racial reasons, all booers are labeled racist? Are all muslims terrorists because they go to mosques? Should they stop going to mosques because some that go there may be involved in something they arent a part of?
Dont delete this GE