Discuss all the events of the day

Moderator: GH Moderators

Schifty
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Re: The Politics Thread 2016

Post by Schifty »

reptar wrote:
Manbush wrote:Yeah he's making it so tempting for me to join Twitter, there's a few I'd troll the hell out of I'm guessing I'd get blocked very quickly though.
Lyle plays that game pretty well, doesn't engage with people that disagree. Malcolm Roberts, on the other hand...
:lol:

The real challenge is to get Donald Trump.. If I manage that I'll quit twitter.

I Managed to get Turnbull to make a snide shot at Bronwyn Bishop before, but that was pre-spill and when he was on his selfie spree and actually allowed to use twitter.
reptar
Laurie Daley

Post by reptar »

To get Donald I think you'd have to be a ex beauty queen.
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
Schifty
Laurie Daley

Post by Schifty »

An irrelevant Nationals MP is threatening to bring down the government if Marriage Equality passes.

So we get marriage equality AND a new gov?

I don't think he understands what a threat is..
Cranky Old Man
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Sam Backo

Post by Cranky Old Man »

Sadly in a house as finely balanced as this one no member is irrelevant, even such dross as this dropkick.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

Agree. 2 votes away from losing the confidence of the house and his job.
Schifty
Laurie Daley

Post by Schifty »

This was being placed up at a university in Melbourne..

http://www.smh.com.au/victoria/neonazi- ... y28zsr6qiq

But yeah I'm sure the Plebiscite would have been totally respectful...

On a side not, one of the best things about that being canned is Lyle Shelton wasted $1000s of dollars on a pallet of flyers.
Manbush
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Luke Turner

Post by Manbush »

He'll hardly miss the money but at least now we won't be funding him to print more.
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Good article and another reason I hadn't thought of why the no plebiscite was a win, the first time the LGBT community have stood up to the government and said no we won't accept your unfair conditions.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/lanesainty/mar ... .qfkb5g8qq
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
Professor
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Bae

Post by Professor »

Good article? Good grief, it gave me a headache and I legit stopped reaching halfway through. I can't remember seeing so many unecessary words and dipictions as a means of building suspense.

"He’s finishing off a sandwich and taking call after call, with Argent, the founder of LGBTI rights group Just Equal, Ivan Hinton-Teoh, and a collection of kids and mums from the Rainbow Families group at the next table. The kids are doodling on pages torn from a notepad and chowing down on hot chips – a treat for the trip away."

The **** is this nonsense?

Anyway, so we're potentially waiting at least another three years now. Something which will be on Turnbull's head, right Bushy?
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Yep Turnbull now has a choice, show leadership or cower in fear of those pulling his strings, one of those cases the end didn't justify the means. While Shortens motives might be questioned he's done the right thing hence all the praise and thanks he is receiving from the community, waiting is preferable to a plebiscite.
Professor
Steve Walters

Post by Professor »

Nek minit it's March and the same people will be blowing up that the act has not yet changed and is unlikely to for at least another 2.5 years. An outcome that will be on the heads of the Labor party and its advocates in this respect.
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Keep up to date Prof, they are happy to wait at least another 2.5 years if it means no plebiscite, the plebiscite was not wanted. It was a delaying tactic that was fought against by the LGBT community and health groups, that's why instead of being on Labors head they are being applauded for blocking it. Visit all the marriage equality pages mate, the overwhelming feeling is one of joy that it's been blocked.
Professor
Steve Walters

Post by Professor »

Manbush wrote:Keep up to date Prof, they are happy to wait at least another 2.5 years if it means no plebiscite, the plebiscite was not wanted. It was a delaying tactic that was fought against by the LGBT community and health groups, that's why instead of being on Labors head they are being applauded for blocking it. Visit all the marriage equality pages mate, the overwhelming feeling is one of joy that it's been blocked.
I trust that discussion about this will not continue from March next year then - March, the date from which there was a good chance the act would have been changed.

On another point; you know that "they" does not make up the entire gay and lesbian community, right? Granted I don't keep abreast of this as much as you, but I can confirm that three people quite close to me are filthy that this will not be going ahead. Presumably there are others.

Anyway, keep up the good fight, Bushy. I hope we don't continue to hear you bitching about this from
march next year, too.
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Mate you're a reasonable man so my advice is actually stay abreast of it, read marriage equality pages, attend some protests I'm confident it will change your tune, hey if someone who loves watching religion dig their own grave is against giving them an opportunity to there has to be something to it.

Sorry March means nothing LNP would've just delayed the next step anyway, the idea is to keep pressuring the government to do the right thing which a plebiscite wasn't, the planned plebiscite also contained more legalised discrimination. The issue isn't going away for Turnbull he'll be hounded for it until he allows a free vote or he loses office.
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Oh LNP :lol:

"The Turnbull government has suffered a second embarrassing failure in Parliament, effectively voting to call on itself to explain its own failures on multinational tax avoidance."

http://www.msn.com/en-au/news/australia ... spartandhp
Professor
Steve Walters

Post by Professor »

Manbush wrote:Mate you're a reasonable man so my advice is actually stay abreast of it, read marriage equality pages, attend some protests I'm confident it will change your tune, hey if someone who loves watching religion dig their own grave is against giving them an opportunity to there has to be something to it.

Sorry March means nothing LNP would've just delayed the next step anyway, the idea is to keep pressuring the government to do the right thing which a plebiscite wasn't, the planned plebiscite also contained more legalised discrimination. The issue isn't going away for Turnbull he'll be hounded for it until he allows a free vote or he loses office.
Block a pathway for change then reserve the right to complain about lack of change.

Seems legit.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Vintage stuff, isn't it?
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

If a path is unfair and potentially very dangerous then yes people should complain until the fair safer path is opened.
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Pigman wrote:Vintage stuff, isn't it?
Couldn't agree more, the straight white male privilege on show is fantastic, telling a group they should accept any offer regardless of the dangers and unfair conditions instead of fighting for what is right is vintage stuff. ;)
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Keep tilting at windmills, Bushy
I've given up trying to reel in free thinking mavericks like you

WAKE UP SHEEPLE!
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Or instead why not actually get involved in the issue, stay abreast of it, I'm confident even you would change your mind if you read their pages, joined their protests etc.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

You're assuming I've not been involved in the issue?

Ok.
Professor
Steve Walters

Post by Professor »

Pigman wrote:You're assuming I've not been involved in the issue?

Ok.
Right!? ****.

I was literally just about to post that neither I nor anyone else has stated they're not abreast of it. I made comment that I'm not abreast it at much as you, bushy. But how could I or anyone else? This is yet another topic on which you've fixated yourself, and now you're speaking down to us if we don't have similar vested interests?

Fair dinkum.
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Well considering you're the ones going against the consensus, the health professionals etc, ignoring the dangers, the unfair conditions of the plebiscite etc, was a reasonable assumption.

On this issue I'm not the one being the "maverick".
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

I've marched for equal rights previously and I've stayed fairly well involved in the debate over the years, via media outlets and directly with people in the community

Now granted I don't have Bushy's skills to immediately become an expert on any topic based off what I read on page 79 of a google search, but I guess that's just my limitations

Put bluntly I think the concerns over plebiscite is totally and completely exaggerated. I've seen nothing to suggest this would turn into some dirty pool campaign by the far right that would result in the disintegration of mental health from those within the community

I see a lot of posts like Schifty's one above and I just laugh. The plebiscite wasn't even passed, and those flyers are already up. The idea that these sorts of things have sprung up due to the plebiscite is disingenuous to say the least.

The far right have been banging this drum long before a plebiscite was raised and will be long after marriage equality is passed (when ever that maybe)

What i do see is that on social media and even mainstream media via commercial radio and television, anyone engaging in said dirty pool style homophobic propaganda is rightly mocked and ridiculed at every level!

It's too the point where known homophobes like Bay 56 and Dubby aren't even game to engage because they'll be rightly **** canned for their archaic views

I get the concerns of the community, but I don't agree with them at all. And to me it seems they are exaggerating those issues for political purposes, which is their right, but that doesn't mean I have to agree with it, nor does it mean the community as a whole is better served by delaying their own freedom for the sake of petty politics

And further more, the public support for this is reaching critical mass. The country is overwhelmingly in support of marriage equality and I don't see how a public vote confirming as much would do anything but to help further the cause

The homophobic propaganda is already in swing, and will continue to be in swing until such time as their war is lost. And probably some years after it because that's just how those types of people are

My interests lay in this county putting this shameful inequality behind us and as quickly as possible burying the homophobic at right so far into the dirt that death itself can't find them
Professor
Steve Walters

Post by Professor »

Besides the march aspect - as I've not undertaken anything of that nature - that post of yours couldn't align more with my view and thoughts. It really couldn't.

I will just exit with that, thanks.
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

I have never marched for anything. And i never intend to.
Dont delete this GE
simo
Ricky Stuart

Post by simo »

Pigman wrote:I've marched for equal rights previously and I've stayed fairly well involved in the debate over the years, via media outlets and directly with people in the community

Now granted I don't have Bushy's skills to immediately become an expert on any topic based off what I read on page 79 of a google search, but I guess that's just my limitations

Put bluntly I think the concerns over plebiscite is totally and completely exaggerated. I've seen nothing to suggest this would turn into some dirty pool campaign by the far right that would result in the disintegration of mental health from those within the community

I see a lot of posts like Schifty's one above and I just laugh. The plebiscite wasn't even passed, and those flyers are already up. The idea that these sorts of things have sprung up due to the plebiscite is disingenuous to say the least.

The far right have been banging this drum long before a plebiscite was raised and will be long after marriage equality is passed (when ever that maybe)

What i do see is that on social media and even mainstream media via commercial radio and television, anyone engaging in said dirty pool style homophobic propaganda is rightly mocked and ridiculed at every level!

It's too the point where known homophobes like Bay 56 and Dubby aren't even game to engage because they'll be rightly **** canned for their archaic views

I get the concerns of the community, but I don't agree with them at all. And to me it seems they are exaggerating those issues for political purposes, which is their right, but that doesn't mean I have to agree with it, nor does it mean the community as a whole is better served by delaying their own freedom for the sake of petty politics

And further more, the public support for this is reaching critical mass. The country is overwhelmingly in support of marriage equality and I don't see how a public vote confirming as much would do anything but to help further the cause

The homophobic propaganda is already in swing, and will continue to be in swing until such time as their war is lost. And probably some years after it because that's just how those types of people are

My interests lay in this county putting this shameful inequality behind us and as quickly as possible burying the homophobic at right so far into the dirt that death itself can't find them
i give this my most heartfelt and sincere tldr. Tldr indeed
Dont delete this GE
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

You've seen nothing that suggests it would get nasty? Sorry mate that sounds to me like you haven't paid attention at all, just need to look at the ACLs behavior who would've been one of the main beneficiaries of government funding. Yes homophobic posters like Schiftys are already being displayed but imagine the magnitude of that on prime time tv with us paying for it, instead of pockets of homophobic propaganda spread around we're talking mass media which will be infinitely worse.

We're not only talking the community with those fears, Australia's leading mental health groups also have the same fears, the actual experts have been warning people of the dangers, overseas experience show those fears are real.

Now the plebiscite also contained legalised discrimination, but you want people to just except that to get it out of the way.

We all want this put to bed ASAP, people just aren't willing to accept the wrong way just to speed it up.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Given the plebiscite was not intended to be binding... can anyone explain what it achieves? I doubt the result would change a single parliamentarian's mind.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
simo
Ricky Stuart

Post by simo »

greeneyed wrote:Given the plebiscite was not intended to be binding... can anyone explain what it achieves? I doubt the result would change a single parliamentarian's mind.

it would have allowed for a genuine discussion about the facts against gay marriage, of which i assume there are thousands but people dont get a chance to air them out of fear.
Dont delete this GE
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

The acl is already engaging in this and have been since long before a plebiscite.

The idea that without a plebiscite and just a a vote would solve all these problems and stop the hate is asinine
Professor
Steve Walters

Post by Professor »

Manbush wrote:You've seen nothing that suggests it would get nasty? Sorry mate that sounds to me like you haven't paid attention at all, just need to look at the ACLs behavior who would've been one of the main beneficiaries of government funding. Yes homophobic posters like Schiftys are already being displayed but imagine the magnitude of that on prime time tv with us paying for it, instead of pockets of homophobic propaganda spread around we're talking mass media which will be infinitely worse.

We're not only talking the community with those fears, Australia's leading mental health groups also have the same fears, the actual experts have been warning people of the dangers, overseas experience show those fears are real.

Now the plebiscite also contained legalised discrimination, but you want people to just except that to get it out of the way.

We all want this put to bed ASAP, people just aren't willing to accept the wrong way just to speed it up.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SlKao_Pox5A
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Pigman wrote:The acl is already engaging in this and have been since long before a plebiscite.

The idea that without a plebiscite and just a a vote would solve all these problems and stop the hate is asinine
The main difference would be exposure, free vote in parliament won't entail tax payer funded mass media homophobic advertising aimed at degrading the LGBTI community and their children.

Ps Prof will watch your clip when I'm on break.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

greeneyed wrote:Given the plebiscite was not intended to be binding... can anyone explain what it achieves? I doubt the result would change a single parliamentarian's mind.

The plebiscite was never intended to be a pathway to marriage equality. It was conceived as a way to delay equality for as long as possible and it looks like achieving that goal.

The government essentially offered the LGBTI community a **** sandwich (government funded, non-binding, plebiscite) and if polls are accurate the majority of LGBTI people would rather wait than choke it down. People are hungry for change but that doesn't mean they have to accept a **** deal and all that comes with it. Especially when there are easier, cheaper and more respectful ways to achieve the same ends through a parliamentary vote.