2016 US Elections

Discuss all the events of the day

Moderator: GH Moderators

User avatar
Sid
Gary Belcher
Posts: 6940
Joined: May 15, 2015, 8:47 pm
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd
Location: Darwin, N.T.

Re: 2016 US Elections

Post by Sid » November 10, 2016, 5:30 pm

-TW- wrote:Dunno if this has been covered, turnout just over 50%

I'm sure a lot of the wailing is coming from those who didn't vote
A democracy Hot Dog would increase votes in 'Merica
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

User avatar
simo
Bradley Clyde
Posts: 8475
Joined: March 12, 2013, 7:50 pm
Favourite Player: Keghead

Re: 2016 US Elections

Post by simo » November 10, 2016, 5:32 pm

greeneyed wrote:Thousands Across the US Protest Donald Trump's Presidential Victory: http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/thousand ... d=43427653
protesting the fact the candidate you voted for didnt win is probably the dumbest thing ive seen. You had a vote, everyones vote counts as equal and Trump came out ahead in the most states. Protesting that result just makes you a wanker who thinks you know best
Dont delete this GE

User avatar
greeneyed
Don Furner
Posts: 126063
Joined: January 7, 2005, 4:21 pm

Re: 2016 US Elections

Post by greeneyed » November 10, 2016, 6:00 pm

They see Clinton winning the popular vote by a good margin... and many are scared of what Trump will now do. He said he wants to ban Muslims from entering the USA.

Then he expanded that to say any country compromised by terrorism, saying that he would stop people from Germany and France coming to the USA. He wants to build a 1900 mile wall along the US-Mexican border. He's said a judge with Mexican heritage was not fit to make a judgment, because of his heritage. He's said he wants judges on the Supreme Court to overturn gay marriage and abolish executive orders that prevent discrimination against LGBT people... and indeed permit it on the basis of religious grounds. The things he's said in the election campaign... I'm just listening to people on CNN, and they're saying that minority groups are scared of what happens to them now.

It's a very sad day, not just for the USA, but the world.

The fact that some people in the US are standing up and saying, actually, the things Trump has said and stands for are not OK, that makes me feel better.
Image

User avatar
Manbush
Mal Meninga
Posts: 24597
Joined: March 14, 2008, 6:55 pm
Favourite Player: Luke Turner

Re: 2016 US Elections

Post by Manbush » November 10, 2016, 6:00 pm

simo wrote:
greeneyed wrote:Thousands Across the US Protest Donald Trump's Presidential Victory: http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/thousand ... d=43427653
protesting the fact the candidate you voted for didnt win is probably the dumbest thing ive seen. You had a vote, everyones vote counts as equal and Trump came out ahead in the most states. Protesting that result just makes you a wanker who thinks you know best
Um actually no everyone's vote isn't equal considering Clinton won the popular vote.
"My own opinion is enough for me and I claim the right to have it defended against any consensus, any majority, anywhere, any place, any time, and anyone who disagrees with this can pick a number, get in line and kiss my ass" Christopher Hitchens

User avatar
Raidersfan
Ruben Wiki
Posts: 5431
Joined: March 16, 2013, 4:39 pm
Favourite Player: George Clooney

Re: 2016 US Elections

Post by Raidersfan » November 10, 2016, 6:31 pm

T_R wrote:
Raidersfan wrote:
T_R wrote:Im not sure if you have the capacity to understand this, but yesterday there was a broad repositioning of stock investments. It almost precisely mirrored the currency shock days in the early stages of the GFC.

I honestly do not understand what you are struggling with.
Quite frankly you are not understanding your original err err "perfectly rational winding back of an exposure".. well it looks like less than 24 hours later that "winding back" and "exposure" was nothing more than a knee jerk reaction.
Ok. Last try.

It wasn't knee jerk, it was a repositioning of exposure. For example, mining stocks are rolling now on suggestions of increased infrastructure spending, while trade exposed Latin American funds have taken a kicking.

If that's over your head, look at gold price movements during the day as a proxy to defensives. Gold mining stock movements will show you even more.

It's pretty basic stuff.
Let me give this one more try (FWIW).

Yesterdays fall on the ASX was a knee jerk reaction to "negative" news. It was not a "perfectly rational winding back of an exposure" as you attempted to explain. Yesterday the ASX fell 1.95%, today it gains 3.25% .. there is no reasonable rationale about that at all .. those movements are based on fear and panic, not common sense.

Did I sell my portfolio?, no I didn't ... I use the Warren Buffett philosophy on investing in the stock market .. buy good companies for the long term (not on the whim of a 24 hour news story) and hold on to them when others are selling. Approx 80% of my portfolio is invested in companies that pay a dividend of min. 5% (preferably fully franked) equal to 7.5% to 8% after franking credits in the hands of the right family member. I purchased more of the same last night ... for all those that panicked and sold their Westpac shares yesterday thanks, they rose 4.25% today. The remainder is in speculative stocks, you win some you lose others.

Investers who listen to your rationale on movements in the stock market are a gold mine for brokers. The typical finance editor will explain why the stock market went down one day and with the very same reasons explain why they went up the next day, they always need a story to fill the finance pages.

Yup, it's pretty basic stuff.
I don't post facts

User avatar
reptar
Laurie Daley
Posts: 14267
Joined: January 25, 2005, 9:24 pm
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson
Location: Brisbane

Re: 2016 US Elections

Post by reptar » November 10, 2016, 6:35 pm

T_R wrote:Also, has anyone heard from Schifty? I assume he's in Guantanamo?
He's alive. Just in hiding
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.

User avatar
T_R
Don Furner
Posts: 15735
Joined: August 4, 2006, 9:41 am
Location: Noosa

Re: 2016 US Elections

Post by T_R » November 10, 2016, 6:43 pm

Raidersfan wrote:
T_R wrote:
Raidersfan wrote:
T_R wrote:Im not sure if you have the capacity to understand this, but yesterday there was a broad repositioning of stock investments. It almost precisely mirrored the currency shock days in the early stages of the GFC.

I honestly do not understand what you are struggling with.
Quite frankly you are not understanding your original err err "perfectly rational winding back of an exposure".. well it looks like less than 24 hours later that "winding back" and "exposure" was nothing more than a knee jerk reaction.
Ok. Last try.

It wasn't knee jerk, it was a repositioning of exposure. For example, mining stocks are rolling now on suggestions of increased infrastructure spending, while trade exposed Latin American funds have taken a kicking.

If that's over your head, look at gold price movements during the day as a proxy to defensives. Gold mining stock movements will show you even more.

It's pretty basic stuff.
Let me give this one more try (FWIW).

Yesterdays fall on the ASX was a knee jerk reaction to "negative" news. It was not a "perfectly rational winding back of an exposure" as you attempted to explain. Yesterday the ASX fell 1.95%, today it gains 3.25% .. there is no reasonable rationale about that at all .. those movements are based on fear and panic, not common sense.

Did I sell my portfolio?, no I didn't ... I use the Warren Buffett philosophy on investing in the stock market .. buy good companies for the long term (not on the whim of a 24 hour news story) and hold on to them when others are selling. Approx 80% of my portfolio is invested in companies that pay a dividend of min. 5% (preferably fully franked) equal to 7.5% to 8% after franking credits in the hands of the right family member. I purchased more of the same last night ... for all those that panicked and sold their Westpac shares yesterday thanks, they rose 4.25% today. The remainder is in speculative stocks, you win some you lose others.

Investers who listen to your rationale on movements in the stock market are a gold mine for brokers. The typical finance editor will explain why the stock market went down one day and with the very same reasons explain why they went up the next day, they always need a story to fill the finance pages.

Yup, it's pretty basic stuff.
I genuinely don't know if you are inherently ignorant or just wilfully so, but that sad little 'look at me' post has nothing to do with what I said.

By all means, take the chance to puff your little bantam chest out and carry on about your $400 of Telstra shares or whatever it is you have, but don't pretend you have anything to say.
Image

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.

User avatar
Raidersfan
Ruben Wiki
Posts: 5431
Joined: March 16, 2013, 4:39 pm
Favourite Player: George Clooney

Re: 2016 US Elections

Post by Raidersfan » November 10, 2016, 6:47 pm

T_R wrote:I genuinely don't know if you are inherently ignorant or just wilfully so, but that sad little 'look at me' post has nothing to do with what I said.

By all means, take the chance to puff your little bantam chest out and carry on about your $400 of Telstra shares or whatever it is you have, but don't pretend you have anything to say.
bahahahahahaha ... how big is that TV of yours big boy ... which city are you in today big spender

$400 Telstra shares ... bahahahahahahahaha ... you have no idea

Here's your typical finance story of the day fatso .. yesterday it was the story why investors sold off ..
http://www.canberratimes.com.au/busines ... sma6b.html
Last edited by Raidersfan on November 10, 2016, 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I don't post facts

User avatar
Manbush
Mal Meninga
Posts: 24597
Joined: March 14, 2008, 6:55 pm
Favourite Player: Luke Turner

Re: 2016 US Elections

Post by Manbush » November 10, 2016, 6:47 pm

How do you solve a problem like Donald Trump? "we could shoot him", says sir David Attenborough


https://inews.co.uk/essentials/culture/ ... enborough/

:lol:
"My own opinion is enough for me and I claim the right to have it defended against any consensus, any majority, anywhere, any place, any time, and anyone who disagrees with this can pick a number, get in line and kiss my ass" Christopher Hitchens

User avatar
greeneyed
Don Furner
Posts: 126063
Joined: January 7, 2005, 4:21 pm

Re: 2016 US Elections

Post by greeneyed » November 10, 2016, 6:53 pm

I don't see that as funny, it's scary.
Image

User avatar
T_R
Don Furner
Posts: 15735
Joined: August 4, 2006, 9:41 am
Location: Noosa

Re: 2016 US Elections

Post by T_R » November 10, 2016, 6:56 pm

I just realised that you really bore me, Bay.

Carry on, by all means, but you just have nothing to say.
Image

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.

User avatar
Raidersfan
Ruben Wiki
Posts: 5431
Joined: March 16, 2013, 4:39 pm
Favourite Player: George Clooney

Re: 2016 US Elections

Post by Raidersfan » November 10, 2016, 6:57 pm

T_R wrote:I just realised that you really bore me, Bay.

Carry on, by all means, but younjust have nothing to say.
Yup no props fatso ... go off and have a good cry (in front of that big TV of yours of course) ... hahahaha
I don't post facts

User avatar
Manbush
Mal Meninga
Posts: 24597
Joined: March 14, 2008, 6:55 pm
Favourite Player: Luke Turner

Re: 2016 US Elections

Post by Manbush » November 10, 2016, 6:57 pm

Had to laugh simply because it was Attenborough who said it. The scary part is Pence would gain control.

Did think of a positive, will be a funny four years on South Park, just watching the new one where Trump has just won
"My own opinion is enough for me and I claim the right to have it defended against any consensus, any majority, anywhere, any place, any time, and anyone who disagrees with this can pick a number, get in line and kiss my ass" Christopher Hitchens

Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Posts: 13410
Joined: February 26, 2010, 6:01 pm
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins
Location: Canberra :(

Re: 2016 US Elections

Post by Green eyed Mick » November 10, 2016, 7:11 pm

greeneyed wrote:They see Clinton winning the popular vote by a good margin... and many are scared of what Trump will now do. He said he wants to ban Muslims from entering the USA. Then he expanded that to say any country compromised by terrorism, saying that he would stop people from Germany and France coming to the USA. He wants to build a 1900 mile wall along the US-Mexican border. He's said a judge with Mexican heritage was not fit to make a judgment, because of his heritage. He's said he wants judges on the Supreme Court to overturn gay marriage and abolish executive orders that prevent discrimination against LGBT people... and indeed permit it on the basis of religious grounds. The things he's said in the election campaign... I'm just listening to people on CNN, and they're saying that minority groups are scared of what happens to them now.

It's a very sad day, not just for the USA, but the world.
Remind me again how we treat people who try to come to this country illegally? I wonder how many people outraged by Trump voted for the racist **** who implemented our border control policy :hmmm

User avatar
T_R
Don Furner
Posts: 15735
Joined: August 4, 2006, 9:41 am
Location: Noosa

Re: 2016 US Elections

Post by T_R » November 10, 2016, 7:14 pm

Did you really just jump on one point in that list to be hysterical over?

Australian has an awful,awful immigration system, but it doesnt detract at all from the point that US, and thus world, politics just took an alarming, alarming turn.
Image

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.

User avatar
Question
Laurie Daley
Posts: 13685
Joined: May 20, 2007, 5:13 pm

Re: 2016 US Elections

Post by Question » November 10, 2016, 8:55 pm

I love all people including Martians, and I don't like illegal anything.

User avatar
Archer
David Furner
Posts: 3741
Joined: September 3, 2012, 12:46 pm
Favourite Player: Boxhead

Re: 2016 US Elections

Post by Archer » November 10, 2016, 8:56 pm

I hate the view that because a majority voted for something you can't protest against it. The "majority" voting for something doesn't make it right.
That same argument is made about Brexit over here and I'm sorry but despite the majority voting for it, I think there is far too much xenophobia and racism behind it all to sit well with me. Anything that makes groups of people feel unwelcome and hated because of where they were born isn't ok (Except for origin), regardless of how many people voted for it.

The US Election is done sure, but a guy who preached hate towards a number of minorities got in. Large numbers of people may have chosen him for reasons other than those policies, but that doesn't mean those from groups he has already singled out with hate should be OK with it. The only thing they can do now is try to change the attitudes and opinions of their fellow countrymen and perhaps continue to highlight what they feel was wrong with electing Trump. So that in 6 or 18 months from now, when he tries to introduce some obscene law banning all Muslims or repealing Gay Marriage people don't allow it, rather than saying "well the majority voted for him so just take your lumps".

User avatar
gangrenous
Ricky Stuart
Posts: 9581
Joined: May 12, 2007, 10:42 pm

2016 US Elections

Post by gangrenous » November 10, 2016, 8:57 pm

simo wrote:
greeneyed wrote:Thousands Across the US Protest Donald Trump's Presidential Victory: http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/thousand ... d=43427653
protesting the fact the candidate you voted for didnt win is probably the dumbest thing ive seen. You had a vote, everyones vote counts as equal and Trump came out ahead in the most states. Protesting that result just makes you a wanker who thinks you know best
Sometimes you're a wanker who does know best...

User avatar
Question
Laurie Daley
Posts: 13685
Joined: May 20, 2007, 5:13 pm

Re: 2016 US Elections

Post by Question » November 10, 2016, 9:01 pm

I couldn't give a rats **** about all the other petty crap, but i love his fu China and **** free trade.

User avatar
T_R
Don Furner
Posts: 15735
Joined: August 4, 2006, 9:41 am
Location: Noosa

Re: 2016 US Elections

Post by T_R » November 10, 2016, 9:02 pm

But he's an anti-free trade protectionist.
Image

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.

User avatar
zim
Gary Belcher
Posts: 6680
Joined: July 8, 2015, 3:38 pm
Favourite Player: Past: Brett Mullins
Present: Elliot Whitehead
Location: Sydney

Re: 2016 US Elections

Post by zim » November 10, 2016, 9:35 pm

simo wrote:you are obviously far more likely to jump on board any media exaggerations that twist something to suit you. Tsunami of criticism indeed
So you can read his quotes, his quotes, and not sit there any think "hmm he'd make a horrible president"?

There's no exaggeration needed. The guy is a straight up a lying, hypocritical piece of crap even if all you do is listen to what he says and read what he tweets. Sitting here and blaming it all on the media is just a ridiculous shift of responsibility.

Hopefully President Trump is not the same as pre-president Trump.

User avatar
-TW-
Mal Meninga
Posts: 30100
Joined: July 2, 2007, 11:41 am

Re: 2016 US Elections

Post by -TW- » November 10, 2016, 11:14 pm

greeneyed wrote:
-TW- wrote:Dunno if this has been covered, turnout just over 50%

I'm sure a lot of the wailing is coming from those who didn't vote
Given you've got to queue up for three hours to vote, on a work day, it's no wonder they don't get a big turnout.
Not an excuse seeing there's prepoll and postal votes

User avatar
papabear
Gary Belcher
Posts: 6131
Joined: August 27, 2007, 2:26 pm
Location: redfern

Re: 2016 US Elections

Post by papabear » November 11, 2016, 7:59 am

-TW- wrote:
greeneyed wrote:
-TW- wrote:Dunno if this has been covered, turnout just over 50%

I'm sure a lot of the wailing is coming from those who didn't vote
Given you've got to queue up for three hours to vote, on a work day, it's no wonder they don't get a big turnout.
Not an excuse seeing there's prepoll and postal votes
TBH I agree with GE, I have **** to do, (which does not include posting on the internet) :P

If voting isnt compulsory and you give me a choice between a reality tv star and career politician who has already had more then a fair run. I am not showing up to vote for them.

User avatar
papabear
Gary Belcher
Posts: 6131
Joined: August 27, 2007, 2:26 pm
Location: redfern

Re: 2016 US Elections

Post by papabear » November 11, 2016, 8:05 am

"So when distraught white women who had so hoped for a Clinton victory – and I do understand their grief even if I don't entirely share it – lament about how society still does not take women seriously, or on how women will never be allowed to succeed, or how powerful women will never be fully trusted, what they need to acknowledge is that it is not "society" that is failing them – it is whiteness."

http://www.smh.com.au/lifestyle/news-an ... smhhy.html

I dunno, this just came across a little racist to me. I am know its not kosher for anything that generalises / marginalises white people to be called out as racist, but when you start measuring votes on the colour of their skin and then inferring that group is a bunch of idiots for the way they voted.... I query it.

By the same logic, you could say the same thing about any particular group ie X% of X people voted for X therefore X people are evil.

If you are trying to point out racism imo this is a pretty hypocritical way of going about it.

User avatar
-TW-
Mal Meninga
Posts: 30100
Joined: July 2, 2007, 11:41 am

Re: 2016 US Elections

Post by -TW- » November 11, 2016, 9:08 am

papabear wrote:
-TW- wrote:
greeneyed wrote:
-TW- wrote:Dunno if this has been covered, turnout just over 50%

I'm sure a lot of the wailing is coming from those who didn't vote
Given you've got to queue up for three hours to vote, on a work day, it's no wonder they don't get a big turnout.
Not an excuse seeing there's prepoll and postal votes
TBH I agree with GE, I have **** to do, (which does not include posting on the internet) Image

If voting isnt compulsory and you give me a choice between a reality tv star and career politician who has already had more then a fair run. I am not showing up to vote for them.
Then if that's the attitude usa has, don't bitch and moan if you don't get the result..

They have a president that 25% of the nation elected..

User avatar
The Rickman
Mal Meninga
Posts: 43016
Joined: June 25, 2012, 9:53 am
Favourite Player: Hodgo
Location: Rockhampton, Central Queensland

Re: 2016 US Elections

Post by The Rickman » November 11, 2016, 10:14 am

greeneyed wrote:I did like this tweet...

BREAKING - CANADA STARTS BUILDING WALL

#PresidentTrump

Trump removes plan to ban Muslims from USA from website: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 08466.html

What? Is he not going to do what he said?
I'm actually quite happy to see that.

The only shining light at the end of the tunnel is the hope he doesn't intend on doing any of the bat-**** crazy stuff he said he was going to do, like deporting Muslims or making them wear National ID cards, building a wall around Mexico, abolishing free trade agreements, abandoning NATO and the South China Sea.

All of those things would have disastrous impacts on not just Americans, but Australians too, as well as the rest of the world. I just can't for the life of me understand why any Australians would be crowing about this. To me it just reeks of contrarianism.
Image
2012 Golden Boogs Newbie of the Year
2013 'Nella Awards Best Punter
2013 Boogs Thread of the Year ~ The Betting Thread
2014 Boogs Matthew Elliott Award Winner
2014 Boogs some award with Hanbush

User avatar
The Rickman
Mal Meninga
Posts: 43016
Joined: June 25, 2012, 9:53 am
Favourite Player: Hodgo
Location: Rockhampton, Central Queensland

Re: 2016 US Elections

Post by The Rickman » November 11, 2016, 10:20 am

greeneyed wrote:They see Clinton winning the popular vote by a good margin... and many are scared of what Trump will now do. He said he wants to ban Muslims from entering the USA.

Then he expanded that to say any country compromised by terrorism, saying that he would stop people from Germany and France coming to the USA. He wants to build a 1900 mile wall along the US-Mexican border. He's said a judge with Mexican heritage was not fit to make a judgment, because of his heritage. He's said he wants judges on the Supreme Court to overturn gay marriage and abolish executive orders that prevent discrimination against LGBT people... and indeed permit it on the basis of religious grounds. The things he's said in the election campaign... I'm just listening to people on CNN, and they're saying that minority groups are scared of what happens to them now.

It's a very sad day, not just for the USA, but the world.

The fact that some people in the US are standing up and saying, actually, the things Trump has said and stands for are not OK, that makes me feel better.
And yet there's Australians who not only seem happy about this, but seem to be GLOATING about it.

All I can see here is a complete lack of situational awareness. Even the treatment of minorities and women aside, and disregarding the impacts non-action in the face of Russian and Chinese aggression aside, his "policies" could be very damaging to Australians in general. The mining industry has only JUST picked itself back off the floor in literally the last two months, and we've suffered heavily as a country these last four or fives years because of it. If he abolishes free trade, as he's promising to do, it could have a severely negative impact on mining and our whole economy which sets us back another two years.

I don't want that, and I just can't see how any Australian who is actually looking at the big picture here could want that. I just can't.

It's one thing "sticking it to the man", it's entirely another to cut your **** leg off to do it.
Image
2012 Golden Boogs Newbie of the Year
2013 'Nella Awards Best Punter
2013 Boogs Thread of the Year ~ The Betting Thread
2014 Boogs Matthew Elliott Award Winner
2014 Boogs some award with Hanbush

User avatar
The Rickman
Mal Meninga
Posts: 43016
Joined: June 25, 2012, 9:53 am
Favourite Player: Hodgo
Location: Rockhampton, Central Queensland

Re: 2016 US Elections

Post by The Rickman » November 11, 2016, 10:25 am

Archer wrote:I hate the view that because a majority voted for something you can't protest against it. The "majority" voting for something doesn't make it right.
That same argument is made about Brexit over here and I'm sorry but despite the majority voting for it, I think there is far too much xenophobia and racism behind it all to sit well with me. Anything that makes groups of people feel unwelcome and hated because of where they were born isn't ok (Except for origin), regardless of how many people voted for it.

The US Election is done sure, but a guy who preached hate towards a number of minorities got in. Large numbers of people may have chosen him for reasons other than those policies, but that doesn't mean those from groups he has already singled out with hate should be OK with it. The only thing they can do now is try to change the attitudes and opinions of their fellow countrymen and perhaps continue to highlight what they feel was wrong with electing Trump. So that in 6 or 18 months from now, when he tries to introduce some obscene law banning all Muslims or repealing Gay Marriage people don't allow it, rather than saying "well the majority voted for him so just take your lumps".
Great post, as always, Arch. I just can't see how anybody with the slightest bit of human decency can be happy about this. it's morally, politically and economically a potential complete disaster for the world.

The only saving grace is if he backflips on some of his ridiculous ideas.
Image
2012 Golden Boogs Newbie of the Year
2013 'Nella Awards Best Punter
2013 Boogs Thread of the Year ~ The Betting Thread
2014 Boogs Matthew Elliott Award Winner
2014 Boogs some award with Hanbush

User avatar
simo
Bradley Clyde
Posts: 8475
Joined: March 12, 2013, 7:50 pm
Favourite Player: Keghead

Re: 2016 US Elections

Post by simo » November 11, 2016, 10:31 am

So because you dont agree with a decision made by the population of another country, you think the person elected by that country should change all his views to suit yours. Despite him being elected by the people of his country for his views. Gotya
Dont delete this GE

User avatar
The Rickman
Mal Meninga
Posts: 43016
Joined: June 25, 2012, 9:53 am
Favourite Player: Hodgo
Location: Rockhampton, Central Queensland

Re: 2016 US Elections

Post by The Rickman » November 11, 2016, 10:40 am

simo wrote:So because you dont agree with a decision made by the population of another country, you think the person elected by that country should change all his views to suit yours. Despite him being elected by the people of his country for his views. Gotya
I think at the very simplest of levels him abolishing free trade agreements with our country is a very bad idea for our country, yes.

It'll affect me, it'll affect you, it'll affect all of us.

But hey, let's stick it to the man!! Suck **** everybody.
Image
2012 Golden Boogs Newbie of the Year
2013 'Nella Awards Best Punter
2013 Boogs Thread of the Year ~ The Betting Thread
2014 Boogs Matthew Elliott Award Winner
2014 Boogs some award with Hanbush

User avatar
simo
Bradley Clyde
Posts: 8475
Joined: March 12, 2013, 7:50 pm
Favourite Player: Keghead

Re: 2016 US Elections

Post by simo » November 11, 2016, 10:45 am

Im sure it will. Sometimes decisions are made that i dont agree with but thats an unfortunate side effect of democracy. Ever stopped and thought you may be wrong?
Dont delete this GE

User avatar
The Rickman
Mal Meninga
Posts: 43016
Joined: June 25, 2012, 9:53 am
Favourite Player: Hodgo
Location: Rockhampton, Central Queensland

Re: 2016 US Elections

Post by The Rickman » November 11, 2016, 10:52 am

Wrong about what? What do you even mean?? You haven't made a single point except for "haha you bunch of butthurt wankers!"

So what am I wrong about?? Wrong that abolishing free trade is bad for our economy as an exporter? Wrong that Mexicans shouldn't be labelled rapists?? Wrong that I despise the fact that gay and lesbian marriages may be abolished again which impacts people who have fought for so long to get equal rights?? Is it wrong to think that Muslim Americans should be afforded the same rights as everyone else and shouldn't be subjected to hate speech, threats of being deported or having to be put on a national register?? Am I wrong in saying the way Trump treats women is despicable and should be reviled at every level of society? Am I wrong in thinking that if America chooses to abandon its allies in NATO in Eastern Europe or Japan and South Korea in the South China Sea that it could have disastrous consequences for all of them as Russia and China respectively flex their muscles??

So I ask you again, simo... what exactly am I wrong about here??

And I can't wait for the response "haha suck **** you butthurt wankers"
Image
2012 Golden Boogs Newbie of the Year
2013 'Nella Awards Best Punter
2013 Boogs Thread of the Year ~ The Betting Thread
2014 Boogs Matthew Elliott Award Winner
2014 Boogs some award with Hanbush

User avatar
Manbush
Mal Meninga
Posts: 24597
Joined: March 14, 2008, 6:55 pm
Favourite Player: Luke Turner

Re: 2016 US Elections

Post by Manbush » November 11, 2016, 11:11 am

The most convincing argument Simo could make is that we both agree Nickman ;) :lol:
"My own opinion is enough for me and I claim the right to have it defended against any consensus, any majority, anywhere, any place, any time, and anyone who disagrees with this can pick a number, get in line and kiss my ass" Christopher Hitchens

User avatar
simo
Bradley Clyde
Posts: 8475
Joined: March 12, 2013, 7:50 pm
Favourite Player: Keghead

Re: 2016 US Elections

Post by simo » November 11, 2016, 11:23 am

The Nickman wrote:Wrong about what? What do you even mean?? You haven't made a single point except for "haha you bunch of butthurt wankers!"

So what am I wrong about?? Wrong that abolishing free trade is bad for our economy as an exporter? Yes, you are wrong about this. Id assume the us would receive a relatively low percentage of our exports. 5%~. America abolishing their own free trade would mean other countries would possibly rely on us even more? Sky not falling.
Wrong that Mexicans shouldn't be labelled rapists?? Yes and no. In a statement without context is a horrible thing to say. When in reference to the 11 million illegal mexican immigrants, its probably fair to assume that there would be a higher proportion of criminals. Still a bit harsh
Wrong that I despise the fact that gay and lesbian marriages may be abolished again which impacts people who have fought for so long to get equal rights?? When/if it happens, get outraged then. Dont go projecting what you think will happen as fact
Is it wrong to think that Muslim Americans should be afforded the same rights as everyone else and shouldn't be subjected to hate speech, threats of being deported or having to be put on a national register?? This was journalistic speculation and again, not going to happen. Muslim americans arent being threatened with deportation
Am I wrong in saying the way Trump treats women is despicable and should be reviled at every level of society? Yes, trump is a horribly sexist pig. The way he treats the women that come out and claim to have had an affair with his husband is dispicable. Wait, thats the other candidate. Trumps the one who makes vulgar comments about women yeah? As wrong ad that is to do, id challenge you to find someone who hasnt been a bit of a pig besides ge
Am I wrong in thinking that if America chooses to abandon its allies in NATO in Eastern Europe or Japan and South Korea in the South China Sea that it could have disastrous consequences for all of them as Russia and China respectively flex their muscles?? Could be huge! If it happens. And russia and china respond in that way. If.

So I ask you again, simo... what exactly am I wrong about here?? Youre just emotional

And I can't wait for the response "haha suck **** you butthurt wankers"
Dont delete this GE

User avatar
The Rickman
Mal Meninga
Posts: 43016
Joined: June 25, 2012, 9:53 am
Favourite Player: Hodgo
Location: Rockhampton, Central Queensland

Re: 2016 US Elections

Post by The Rickman » November 11, 2016, 11:24 am

I just don't get the logic of Australians being happy about this. Even if you don't get a damn about minorities such as Asians or Muslims, if you don't care whether gay people deserve equal rights, even if the way Trump speaks about and treats women, even if you couldn't give a crap about America or you don't care about Eastern Europe or Japan and South Korea... even if you don't care about any of those things, and at the basic, most selfish level all you care about is yourself... his intended policies will DIRECTLY impact Australians.

Even if you couldn't give a flying **** about what's right and wrong and you just want to "stick it to the man", if Trump goes ahead with his "policies" this will have a direct impact on you.

All you're sticking it to here is yourself.
Image
2012 Golden Boogs Newbie of the Year
2013 'Nella Awards Best Punter
2013 Boogs Thread of the Year ~ The Betting Thread
2014 Boogs Matthew Elliott Award Winner
2014 Boogs some award with Hanbush

Locked