Discuss all the events of the day

Moderator: GH Moderators

dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Re: 2016 US Elections

Post by dubby »

The Nickman wrote:
dubby wrote:I actually hope Trump wins the election. I really do.
Well.. he kind of has the same principles as you, so it makes sense.
What principles? [WINKING FACE]
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

dubby wrote:I actually think it'd be pretty funny if he won.
This is the guy with the worst hair ever, who wrestled on wwe fgs.
Now he's contending, and a good chance, of running for President

This is better than any movie I've ever seen
It actually predicts his arrival in the book of Daniel, doesn't it??
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

No.
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

I am with Dubby. Democracy needs a wake-up call and maybe that wakeup call is Trump.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Im sure the mushrooms or cockroaches or whatever else is still living on the radioactive slagheap will appreciate that wakeup call.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

I was talking about this with a pack of absolute ***** earlier today, and we were talking about how Trump as president would be entertaining from a car crash POV, but the counter that came was pretty spot on, that being that the idea is probably more entertaining and less terrifying than the reality of it would be.

I still think he's going to have a tough time winning the general election against Hilary. But crazier things have happened i guess.
Schifty
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by Schifty »

I don't think anyone can say it better than John Oliver as to why it would be horrendous..

I'm sure there will be a lot more though when he gets the nomination. Especially on foreign policy.
Schifty
Laurie Daley

Post by Schifty »

Manbush
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Luke Turner

Post by Manbush »

Anti-Gay, Pro-Creationism Birther Could Change America’s Textbooks

Mary Lou Bruner is one runoff election away from changing the curriculum for Texas schools—and perhaps the nation—thanks to the state’s outsized influence on publishers.

A woman who could determine the nation’s textbook curriculum believes the Civil War was not caused by slavery, Barack Obama is a former gay Arab prostitute, and gays are abominations.

Mary Lou Bruner is running for an open seat on the Texas State Board of Education. On Tuesday came within two percentage points of an outright win. Now she’ll face a run-off election against Kevin Ellis, a chiropractor, but her eventual victory looks all but assured.

Read more http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2 ... books.html
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Gee whiz Manbush shares a lot of stories from thedailybeast website. Seems like a reputable bunch
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

The Nickman wrote:Gee whiz Manbush shares a lot of stories from thedailybeast website. Seems like a reputable bunch
Well considering the main author I would've shared from that site advises the English government, has advised Obama, the UN and is cofounder of Quilliam Foundation, this particular one is a well known American political activist and journalist I'd suggest you try playing the ball instead of the man for a change.
Last edited by Manbush on March 3, 2016, 7:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
Shadow Boxer
Ricky Stuart

Post by Shadow Boxer »

The US civil war was driven by economics, of which slavery played a part, but to say it was some sort of free the slaves exercise would be a massive stretch.

Lincoln was far from an abolitionist.
Schifty
Laurie Daley

Post by Schifty »

I don't think here view on the civil war is the most crazy thing there.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Well, Barack Obama's years of living on the streets of Dubai, turning tricks to make ends meet, are fairly well documented.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Manbush wrote:
The Nickman wrote:Gee whiz Manbush shares a lot of stories from thedailybeast website. Seems like a reputable bunch
Well considering the main author I would've shared from that site advises the English government, has advised Obama, the UN and is cofounder of Quilliam Foundation, this particular one is a well known American political activist and journalist I'd suggest you try playing the ball instead of the man for a change.
I'm happy with my playing of the man in this circumstance, thank you very much.
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

The Nickman wrote:
Manbush wrote:
I'm happy with my playing of the man in this circumstance, thank you very much.

We can pretend the "Seems like a reputable" bunch wasn't sarcasm :)
Cranky Old Man
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Sam Backo

Post by Cranky Old Man »

Geez, you would reckon that 8 years of GW Bush, with the steaming crud still falling from the fan in the ME would serve as a caution in selecting new President.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley

Cranky Old Man wrote:Geez, you would reckon that 8 years of GW Bush, with the steaming crud still falling from the fan in the ME would serve as a caution in selecting new President.
It is most likely going to be a choice between Hillary or Trump so the chances of peace in the ME or a 2 state solution in Palestine are probably the same as the Titans winning the Telstra Premiership in 2016.
Schifty
Laurie Daley

Post by Schifty »

I saw a CNN clip where someone was arguing that the KKK is a leftist organisation....

When the other guy started talking about how horrible they are he asked why he is diving everything into race.

We're doomed.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley

T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Green eyed Mick wrote:http://www.thenation.com/article/hillar ... les-votes/

On race relations.
They should vote Trump.

Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley

T_R wrote:
Green eyed Mick wrote:http://www.thenation.com/article/hillar ... les-votes/

On race relations.
They should vote Trump.
They should have voted for Sanders but that horse looks to have bolted.

This whole thing is just so depressing. US primary voters have delivered a presidential election between 2 of the most reviled, dishonest and uninspiring candidates in living memory.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Yep, but Sanders was never going to be the answer

dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Look, we all know Trump won't win.

The illuminati will prevent that from happening.

I kid, I kid.

Cranky Old Man
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Sam Backo

Post by Cranky Old Man »

T_R wrote:Yep, but Sanders was never going to be the answer
In a contest between an honest man (Sanders( and two of the most reviled, dishonest and utterly uninspiring persons to have ever stood for the job, Sanders stood no chance.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley

T_R wrote:Yep, but Sanders was never going to be the answer
True but Bernie is an Independent. It beggars belief that in a country of 320 million people Clinton is the best on offer.
Schifty
Laurie Daley

Post by Schifty »

https://twitter.com/CNN/status/705480191980773376

.@realDonaldTrump: "I ruined my carpet" during a @MittRomney fundraiser on a rainy day http://cnn.it/1TsDJsu

Well that's somethign different.
Schifty
Laurie Daley

Post by Schifty »

Well I for one at stunned that Trump easily won Mississippi.
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

But Sanders won Michigan :thumbsup
Schifty
Laurie Daley

Post by Schifty »

Trump Supporter Punches Protester In Face At North Carolina Rally

WASHINGTON -- Video surfaced Thursday of a Donald Trump supporter punching a protester in the face at the Republican presidential front-runner's rally in North Carolina on Wednesday.

The footage shows a white man in a cowboy hat walk down the row to the aisle where protesters are leaving and sucker-punch an African-American man, later identified as Rakeem Jones.
Inside Edition tracked down McGraw after the rally and asked him if he liked the rally. “You bet I liked it. Knocking the hell out of that big mouth," McGraw said.

Asked why he punched the protester, McGraw told Inside Edition, "Number one, we don’t know if he’s ISIS."

"We don’t know who he is, but we know he’s not acting like an American," McGraw went on. "The next time we see him, we might have to kill him."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com.au/entry/ ... =australia[/quote]

Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Ben Carson Says God Sent His Friend a Dream About Trump, Hillary is Of The Devil

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/ben-carson-s ... the-devil/
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Seriously Manbush, how the **** do you find this ****?? Time to lay off the cones, mate.
Schifty
Laurie Daley

Post by Schifty »

I'm pretty sure Carson is Manbush..

Think about it, who else would say "I have a friend that had god visit him in a dream and told him about Trump"
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

The Nickman wrote:Seriously Manbush, how the **** do you find this ****?? Time to lay off the cones, mate.
They find me mate :lol:
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Schifty wrote:I'm pretty sure Carson is Manbush..

Think about it, who else would say "I have a friend that had god visit him in a dream and told him about Trump"
Think about it, would I have friends that would say they had a visit from god?