2016 US Elections

Discuss all the events of the day

Moderator: GH Moderators

-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Re: 2016 US Elections

Post by -PJ- »

Can everyone remember being this excited 8yrs ago when Obama was running against whatshisface?
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

greeneyed wrote:I genuinely don't understand why anyone would want Trump to win. The things he's said about women and minority groups... are just beyond belief. Not only that, it's going to be bad for Australia, in terms of economic relations and security. It'd be a very sad day to see someone like Trump win the presidency.
It'll hopefully bring them back to the pack. We'll pivot harder towards South East Asia and Asia in general, where our future has always been believed to lie.

It'll be a bumpy ride at the start and we'll probably have to lift our defence spending significantly. But we'll benefit in the long run IMO.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

T_R wrote:Hats off to Nickman. He showed us months ago that you very rarely lose by betting that humanity will make the worst possible choice in almost any situation.
And yet, I don't feel even the slightest bit of satisfaction. Not even remotely.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

Ultimately it's gonna come to Michigan, Wisconsin, Nevada, and probably New Hampshire.

Still hope for Clinton but it'll be terribly close if she's a chance.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

afgtnk wrote:Ultimately it's gonna come to Michigan, Wisconsin, Nevada, and probably New Hampshire.

Nope, it's gone. Finished.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

Winston Churchill had it right all those years ago. People are far too stupid to be entrusted with the obligations bestowed on them in a democracy.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Caption time?

afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

Green eyed Mick wrote:

Winston Churchill had it right all those years ago. People are far too stupid to be entrusted with the obligations bestowed on them in a democracy.
Any political system has the ability to bite you hard in the **** at some point down the track. I see it as a natural cycle.

Happened to Britain, close to happening in the US, and will happen in other parts of the "Free World" in the years to come.

It's now Asia's time to shine, with China and India leading it (and countries like Russia hanging around to pick up the scraps).
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

The Nickman wrote:
afgtnk wrote:Ultimately it's gonna come to Michigan, Wisconsin, Nevada, and probably New Hampshire.

Nope, it's gone. Finished.
That's not true. None of those states are finished yet.
Baywatch
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Shaun Fensom

Post by Baywatch »

T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

I think we're going off early, gents

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

T_R wrote:I think we're going off early, gents
I **** hope so.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

T_R wrote:I think we're going off early, gents
How? Why?
Im looking at the NYT and i dont see how Trump doesnt win at this point
He's flipped Ohio and Florida from the last election and he's pulling away in Wisconsin and Iowa. If he flips Wisconsin and Iowa, and holds Georgia, its a wrap
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Although I don't know how you say that, I reckon he gets about 285.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Genuine question above... i want to know what makes you think we've gone off early. I dont know about this stuff the way others do but to me this looks all but a lock
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Im wrong. It's done.

House, senate, presidency and 2 new supreme court appointments.

He will be as powerful as any president in history.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

T_R wrote:Im wrong. It's done.

House, senate, presidency and 2 new supreme court appointments.

He will be as powerful as any president in history.

They just called Wisconsin
President Trump is official
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

Assuming Clinton holds on to Pennsylvania, it's down to Michigan and New Hampshire. And she's fighting back in both I think.

It ain't over yet.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

The balance of power just shifted a hemisphere. The influence of Russia, China and India will go through the roof.

US troops out of Korea, Japan and Europe.

Interesting times.

Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

afgtnk wrote:Assuming Clinton holds on to Pennsylvania, it's down to Michigan and New Hampshire. And she's fighting back in both I think.

It ain't over yet.
Wishful thinking im afraid. It's over mate
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

afgtnk wrote:Assuming Clinton holds on to Pennsylvania, it's down to Michigan and New Hampshire. And she's fighting back in both I think.

It ain't over yet.
I currently have him winning with 285. If she somehow pulls Michigan she'll be ahead with 271. Without it, she's toast.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Michigan's gone, it's over
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

T_R wrote:The balance of power just shifted a hemisphere. The influence of Russia, China and India will go through the roof.

US troops out of Korea, Japan and Europe.

Interesting times.
If the US leaves Europe it could be an unmitigated disaster with what's going on Eastern Europe right now between NATO and Russia.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

NY Times is predicting Trump to collect more than 300 Electoral votes with a greater than 95% chance of victory. Clinton forecast to win the popular vote by a touch over 1%.

Forecasts can be unreliable but Florida and Ohio have been called and Trump has won comfortably. North Carolina is 97% returned and Trump is up by 5 points. Wisconsin is 74% returned with Trump also up by 3 points.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The implications for world security and economic performance, it is a very scary time.
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

America becoming great again.

Britian giving the figure to the establishment in brussels.

As the people say **** you to the political system across the world. I am smiling.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

Yeaaaa, she's gone now.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

2016 US Elections

Post by Sid »

Is it too late to become one of those nut job doomsday preppers?
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Sid wrote:Is it too late to become one of those nut job doomsday preppers?
Papabear seems to have been looking forward to this. He might hook you up with a "how to".
Manbush
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Luke Turner

Post by Manbush »

Well in positive news at least the marijuana vote in California has gotten up.
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
Brewdle
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Love em all

Post by Brewdle »

So, the Canadian immigration website has crashed....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Trump's going to top 300. This is horrifying.
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

Manbush wrote:Well in positive news at least the marijuana vote in California has gotten up.
Also in Massachusetts
Colorado Approved a 'Right to Die' for Terminally Ill Patients. Seems they are getting some things right.. but they are both dem held anyway.
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

zim wrote:
Sid wrote:Is it too late to become one of those nut job doomsday preppers?
Papabear seems to have been looking forward to this. He might hook you up with a "how to".
Not a prepper, whats that tool song about watching **** on the news and smiling as the whole world burns
More like a joker or bane from batman
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

Haha. Loved the bane comment.