Discuss all the events of the day

Moderator: GH Moderators

Manbush
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Luke Turner

Re: 2016 US Elections

Post by Manbush »

John Oliver lets loose on Trump

I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
Schifty
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by Schifty »

It's about time someone did it.. Instead of just a "#NeverTrump" hashtag.
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

He does a great job on him.

#MakeDonaldDrumpfAgain
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Oh my god, that was fantastic
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

That was the best 20mins I've ever spent

Pity Americans won't take any notice of it
Schifty
Laurie Daley

Post by Schifty »

I don't think it will stop hid nomination as the John Oliver viewer / Trump voter is an almost nonexistent cross over.

It will however get people out there to vote against Trump in November.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

John Oliver is the best
I watched the entire thing this morning, great stuff
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Lenny Leonard wrote:That was the best 20mins I've ever spent

True but it's a good sign, the comedy value of him being president I think is wearing off now the realisation he might actually succeed is setting in.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Manbush wrote:

True but it's a good sign, the comedy value of him being president I think is wearing off now the realisation he might actually succeed is setting in.
Manbush you underestimate how stupid parts of America are.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Manbush wrote:

I doubt it actually. Go and read that article Pigman shared the other day.

While John Oliver's segment was fantastic, anyone else note the look of desperation he has?? He knows this is happening and he's utterly terrified by it.
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Haha trust me I never underestimate the American general publics stupidity BUT I am starting to see more celebrities like Oliver and religious institutions starting to take the Drumpf sideshow seriously, hopefully they'll be enough to sway the minds of the average Joe.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

Manbush wrote:Haha trust me I never underestimate the American general publics stupidity BUT I am starting to see more celebrities like Oliver and religious institutions starting to take the Drumpf sideshow seriously, hopefully they'll be enough to sway the minds of the average Joe.
We elected Tony Abbott.

Calling the American general public stupid is the pot calling the kettle black.
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

As bad as Abbott was the comparison is still miles off, I'm sure I don't need to detail where Americas stupidity reigns supreme, couple of examples would be education standard, the amount of 6,000yo earthers.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley

Manbush wrote:As bad as Abbott was the comparison is still miles off, I'm sure I don't need to detail where Americas stupidity reigns supreme, couple of examples would be education standard, the amount of 6,000yo earthers.
I am not comparing Abbott to Trump. I am comparing a sizeable amount of Abbott's support base to that of Trump.

The people who think reverse racism is a thing. The people who think Halal and Islam is taking over. The people who think refugees come here to steal our jobs and leech off welfare. The people who think their military actually fights for their freedom, the low income earners who think Neo-Conservative, small government ideology is good for them. And those people that think marriage equality will lead to animal marriage and the normalisation of peadophilia.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

So... you're talking about simo and Manbush, yeah??
Toviii
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Rapana

Post by Toviii »

I thought that was a fantastic piece, and found it very entertaining.

Until I saw all the Trump supporters come out of the woodwork in the youtube comments...
'I've got 17 blokes in that dressing room that are hurting'
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Define sizeable. I'd say the majority of people you described would be One Nation voters, Family First etc
Schifty
Laurie Daley

Post by Schifty »

Toviii wrote:I thought that was a fantastic piece, and found it very entertaining.

Until I saw all the Trump supporters come out of the woodwork in the youtube comments...
Jolly Righteous11 hours ago
What is wrong with these vile, left-wing, anti USA liberals? Don't they want America to be great again? #VoteTrump

Can't tell is parody or serious.

Anyway hopefully Oliver gets them in such a rage that they forget to vote.
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Yeah IMO optional voting works in Trumps favor.
Schifty
Laurie Daley

Post by Schifty »

[quote="Manbush"]Yeah IMO optional voting works in Trumps favor.[/quote

In the Republican primaries yet.

However in the General election you're going to see this bizarre phenomenon where there will be a large wave of people voting against Trump.

Oliver's video will help that audience.
tragic
Brett Mullins

Post by tragic »

I... I... I just.... I really don't know how to put in words....
Raiders member no# 2278.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley

Manbush wrote:Define sizeable. I'd say the majority of people you described would be One Nation voters, Family First etc
It depends on the issue. Polling has put the support of indefinite detention of children in tropical concentration camps of at about 70%.

Trump talks up using torture and shutting down the borders. We have used the torture of little children to help shut down our borders.

FTR I don't take issue with you calling the American voter stupid. I just think we are every bit as ignorant, greedy, mean spirited and racist as they are when deciding who to vote for.
Toviii
Laurie Daley

Post by Toviii »

Trump 5/5 so far on super Tuesday.
Clinton 4/5, with Sanders winning in Vermont.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

So how does this work?? 50 states get polled, winner takes all for their party??
Toviii
Laurie Daley

Post by Toviii »

It's 12 or 13 states today. But typically whoever wins Super Tuesday wins the nomination for their party so this gives a fairly good indication
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Just hand Trump the keys to the oval office and be done with it already!
Toviii
Laurie Daley

Post by Toviii »

Urgh, no! Why do you have to be such a punish about this? :p
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Toviii wrote:Trump 5/5 so far on super Tuesday.
Clinton 4/5, with Sanders winning in Vermont.
Looking at that the name should be changed to nightmare Tuesday :doubt:
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Green eyed Mick wrote:
Manbush wrote:Haha trust me I never underestimate the American general publics stupidity BUT I am starting to see more celebrities like Oliver and religious institutions starting to take the Drumpf sideshow seriously, hopefully they'll be enough to sway the minds of the average Joe.
We elected Tony Abbott.

Calling the American general public stupid is the pot calling the kettle black.
We also elected Gillard who had to negotiate with the Greens to gain power,which led to Abbott.

Worst of all, some inbreds in Fairfax elected Clive bloody Palmer
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

I actually hope Trump wins the election. I really do.
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

dubby wrote:I actually hope Trump wins the election. I really do.
Well.. he kind of has the same principles as you, so it makes sense.
Toviii
Laurie Daley

Post by Toviii »

Oh God.

And dubby isn't just trolling either
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

The only reasoning I can think is Trump could potentially bring on the rapture, most likely candidate to end the world.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Manbush wrote:The only reasoning I can think is Trump could potentially bring on the rapture, most likely candidate to end the world.
Exactly Image

dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

I actually think it'd be pretty funny if he won.
This is the guy with the worst hair ever, who wrestled on wwe fgs.
Now he's contending, and a good chance, of running for President

This is better than any movie I've ever seen