Terrorist attacks

Discuss all the events of the day

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Terrorist attacks

Post by greeneyed »

No one who responds violently in response to violence or the vilest of words is a hero. They have descended to the level of those who use violence and vile words.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

We might have different definitions of violence... cracking an egg on someone's head seems to be pretty **** NOT violent.

Punching said KID in the head, and having your hired goons choke half the life out of him seems a little violent, but i guess precautions need to be taken in case the next egg he had was hard boiled.

The kid is a legend, and i support him fully and completely. What Anning has said and done deserves far more than a **** cracked egg. He's got off lightly
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I have no idea what happened in the incident. I'm just responding to what you've written. Cracking an egg on someone's head isn't excusable, even if the person concerned is a vile, hateful individual (and if it is Anning who got the egg, he is certainly a vile, hateful individual).
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I've now seen vision of it, and hitting the boy and what happened subsequently isn't acceptable either. Disgraceful.

There's even a bloke in that room producing a Heil Hitler salute. Incredible and disgraceful.

How is this bloke in public office?
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Surely a good ol' fashioned egging has been part of our political discourse since the Whigs were thrashing it out with the Tories? I'd say the young chap has followed in the finest traditions of the Westminster system.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

T_R wrote: March 16, 2019, 9:08 pm Surely a good ol' fashioned egging has been part of our political discourse since the Whigs were thrashing it out with the Tories? I'd say the young chap has followed in the finest traditions of the Westminster system.
Egging some **** bag pollie is a tradition as old as time itself.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

greeneyed wrote: March 16, 2019, 9:04 pm I have no idea what happened in the incident. I'm just responding to what you've written. Cracking an egg on someone's head isn't excusable, even if the person concerned is a vile, hateful individual (and if it is Anning who got the egg, he is certainly a vile, hateful individual).
I know what you're saying. But i respectfully disagree.
To me it is absolute and complete excusable, Anning is devoid of any redeemable features. Nothing is too good for him.

No one would say **** if some teen egged Hitler. The difference between Hitler and Anning basically comes down to the circumstances they live in and their god given talents in oration. They fundamentally believe and preach the same Bull.

I dont give a single **** about Nazi's getting egged. Not one ****. Negative ****. The bank is going to foreclose on my property because i will not, and never pay a single **** to fraser anning's Bull. I'll declare **** bankruptcy in place of accepting his level of hate speech to be legitimate.

**** him and all who stand with him
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I would have thought we'd have learned the lessons from history... but probably not. You can have my opinion on violence and still be completely opposed to hate speech of the sort we've seen from that vile individual.
Brewdle
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Love em all

Post by Brewdle »

How the heck is he even in the job, disgraceful

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.news.c ... 455a3698d6

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Let’s just all remember that in the last thirty years in Australia and New Zealand, white Australians have killed many, many more people in acts of terrorism than Islamic extremists.

And it’s not even close either

So tell me again what the “cancer” in our society is?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

The history lesson I’ve taken from this is people should have egged hitler. Good on the kid.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

I thought you could only retaliate or defend yourself with equal or lesser amount of force? With that in mind I don't know how Anning can charge him with assault without being counter-charged/sued? How old is the kid?

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

I just hope people realise that not every Australian is a terrorist

T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

The Rickman wrote: March 16, 2019, 9:29 pm Let’s just all remember that in the last thirty years in Australia and New Zealand, white Australians have killed many, many more people in acts of terrorism than Islamic extremists.

It just makes me sad that we're keeping score.

You know, while I'm quite the rugby fan, I'm such a fascinatingly well rounded chap that I have other hobbies, too, one of which puts me into regular contact with large numbers of predominately white, predominately working class, predominately eldery Queenslanders. It leaves me breathless just how much support there is out there for One Nation/Fraser Anning/The rest of 'em . My FB is bloody filled with mocking pseudo facts and stupid memes regarding immigration in general and muslims in particular. The support for Anning's comments regarding NZ is damn near 100%.

This guy in Christchurch was extreme, but he's the tip of a mountain with a pretty big base, I think.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Also, anyone who is friends with Nickman, go over and have a look at his FB page. One of his recent posts should be shared all over the internet (including here please, Nick).

gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

T_R wrote:
The Rickman wrote: March 16, 2019, 9:29 pm Let’s just all remember that in the last thirty years in Australia and New Zealand, white Australians have killed many, many more people in acts of terrorism than Islamic extremists.

You know, while I'm quite the rugby fan, I'm such a fascinatingly well rounded chap that I have other hobbies, too, one of which puts me into regular contact with large numbers of predominately white, predominately working class, predominately eldery Queenslanders. It leaves me breathless just how much support there is out there for One Nation/Fraser Anning/The rest of 'em . My FB is bloody filled with mocking pseudo facts and stupid memes regarding immigration in general and muslims in particular. The support for Anning's comments regarding NZ is damn near 100%.

This guy in Christchurch was extreme, but he's the tip of a mountain with a pretty big base, I think.
Let's hope our PM can shift/shout his focus from protecting us all from those evil 'boat people' and turn our attention to the north and T_Rs circle of friends. A Trump style wall as a first step perhaps? Build the wall out of educational material to ward them off.

T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

gergreg wrote:
T_R wrote:

Let's hope our PM can shift/shout his focus from protecting us all from those evil 'boat people' and turn our attention to the north and T_Rs circle of friends. A Trump style wall as a first step perhaps? Build the wall out of educational material to ward them off.

Yeah, or maybe we can stop segmenting ourselves, looking down at each other and building walls, of educational materials or just layers of conceited smugness, and try to understand each other a little.

Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

T_R wrote: March 16, 2019, 11:40 pm

I find it extremely frustrating. I don’t come into contact with a TON of elderly people, but those that I do are people I love and respect and believe are genuinely intelligent humans... and yeah the level of support or tacit support when they say things like “I understand where they’re coming from” is alarming

Is is a generation thing? Like are people who grew up in that period more prone to believe this **** than others?
Is it an age thing? Are we all going to descend into this kind of **** as we get older and older?

I can’t make sense of it.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Terrorist attacks

Post by The Nickman »

Like TR, I have a lot of friends and people in my wider circle who believe this sort of absolute garbage too, this is the main reason for my Facebook post yesterday. It was a rather unsubtle dig at many of the people who feel it’s ok to just share blatant lies on Facebook and feel there’s absolutely no consequences and it doesn’t cause any harm whatsoever.

Well it does cause harm, and significant harm, as we saw two days ago. I have no doubt that the terrorist in Christchurch was indoctrinated on the lies and garbage spread by groups such as Reclaim Australia and Australia First and that’s how his hatred grew.

If there’s one good thing to come from such a senseless tragedy, it’s that security services will finally start taking a closer look at the people that habit these groups. I see arrests have already taken place just based on comments yesterday.

Extremism is extremism. Hate speech is hate speech. You don’t have to solely be a Muslim to qualify.

gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

T_R wrote:
gergreg wrote:
T_R wrote:

Yeah, or maybe we can stop segmenting ourselves, looking down at each other and building walls, of educational materials or just layers of conceited smugness, and try to understand each other a little.
Absolutely and that is what my tongue in cheek comment was about. Our PM has turned every single opportunity into taking pot shots at his opponent on Border control - even when asked for comment on the colour of his Sharks cap - just to win another term. Just like Abbott did, their strategy is one dimensional - create a fear campaign amongst Australians which in turn creates these divisions that you speak of - which is fuelled by their supporters in Jones/Hadley/Bolt who have a direct voice to the uneducated and intolerant in our society. Now with one fanatic nutjob he has destroyed the Liberal party's election strategy.

We as Australians have got to this place by allowing our politicians to peddle this hate speech. We have enabled it. Many people voted for our current government based on their economic management rather than their treatment of outsiders or refugees but we cannot ignore the policy. It sucks that we had to have this horrific tragedy to get to the point where we have a moment of self reflection - if we do indeed have that moment, but it needs to happen. And it needs to start at the top for it to filter all the way down to those uneducated and intolerant, that this sort of behaviour, thinking and speech is not acceptable.

Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

greeneyed wrote: March 16, 2019, 9:06 pm I've now seen vision of it, and hitting the boy and what happened subsequently isn't acceptable either. Disgraceful.

There's even a bloke in that room producing a Heil Hitler salute. Incredible and disgraceful.

How is this bloke in public office?
When racist dog whistling is a core strategy of the ruling government these kinds of despicable political platforms are normalised.
Manbush
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Luke Turner

Post by Manbush »

T_R wrote: March 16, 2019, 11:53 pm Also, anyone who is friends with Nickman, go over and have a look at his FB page. One of his recent posts should be shared all over the internet (including here please, Nick).
I have too high a standard but I did see him comment on Reclaim Australia page.

Edit: Just looked, great post much better than the quick one I did during a short break :clap:
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

PigRickman wrote: Is is a generation thing? Like are people who grew up in that period more prone to believe this **** than others?
Is it an age thing? Are we all going to descend into this kind of **** as we get older and older?

I can’t make sense of it.
Cultural attitudes change quickly, probably faster than they have before lately.
Schifty
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by Schifty »

Eggboy should be named a national treasure.

Also give him a spot on breakfast tv in place of the usual racists they put on.

A few weeks ago Get Krackin did a segment called "***** for Klicks" which is the most accurate description of morning tv ever.

They even finished with a funny anecdote to humanise the person.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

I'm not going to condemn egg boy, but I'm not going to condone what he did either. What he did is what I'd expect an Anning supporter to do in protest, and I think as a society we should be above that. Still, if you've got an inkling to egg someone that you need to work through, you might as well go looking for Fraser Anning.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

gergreg wrote:
T_R wrote:
gergreg wrote:
T_R wrote:

Absolutely and that is what my tongue in cheek comment was about. Our PM has turned every single opportunity into taking pot shots at his opponent on Border control - even when asked for comment on the colour of his Sharks cap - just to win another term.
Like taking the opportunity to take pot shots at the Libs. In case you haven't been watching, there isn't a hair between the border policy of either major party.

The politicians are pandering to a sentiment that's already out there. I don't think they're leading it.

gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

T_R wrote:
gergreg wrote:
T_R wrote:
gergreg wrote:
T_R wrote: It just makes me sad that we're keeping score.

Absolutely and that is what my tongue in cheek comment was about. Our PM has turned every single opportunity into taking pot shots at his opponent on Border control - even when asked for comment on the colour of his Sharks cap - just to win another term.
Like taking the opportunity to take pot shots at the Libs. In case you haven't been watching, there isn't a hair between the border policy of either major party.

The politicians are pandering to a sentiment that's already out there. I don't think they're leading it.
Like I said the LIBs have been drawing every single question back to border policy, even when not asked about it. The PM has made it a focal point that he and his party are tough on people smugglers and protecting our borders from rapists and murderers and Bill Shorten is the opposite. So according to the PM there is a vast difference on each party's border protection policy. He has made that point at every single opportunity.

There is an element of the population that are bigoted and xenophobic and our political leaders shouldn't be enabling their disgusting behaviour.

T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

And Labor have made damn sure there's not a speck of policy difference between them.

Honestly, I'm really not interested in this conversation right now. The obsession with scoring partisan points out of something like this is equally ugly whether it's you or the Anning right.

Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

I think some of our politicians are doing a pretty good job of leading. Morrison and Dutton immediately following the Phelp's bill is a pretty good example.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Green eyed Mick wrote:I think some of our politicians are doing a pretty good job of leading. Morrison and Dutton immediately following the Phelp's bill is a pretty good example.
Careful GEM don't let the facts get in the way of a good story. You might be likened to Anning.

T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

No, I think that's a fair enough point by GEM - Morrison and Dutton have got themselves all worked up with a tiny glimmer of election light. But the fact remains there's bugger all policy difference between the majors...and as much as you don't like it, you're doing precisely the same thing as Anning. Not nice when the spotlight swings round just a little, is it.

gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Honestly how do these comments not fuel the right wing nutjobs?

https://www.pressreader.com

gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

T_R wrote:No, I think that's a fair enough point by GEM - Morrison and Dutton have got themselves all worked up with a tiny glimmer of election light. But the fact remains there's bugger all policy difference between the majors...and as much as you don't like it, you're doing precisely the same thing as Anning. Not nice when the spotlight swings round just a little, is it.
I can't remember the last time I attended a National front meeting or protest. I have nothing in common with him or his opinions whatsoever. Clearly the Labor party have changed their policy on asylum seekers with the recent Bill passed through parliament. The response from the Liberal party has been disgraceful, see my link above. How does labelling the Bill as allowing rapists and paedophiles and murderers into the country help? They have actively made a huge effort to differentiate their respective policies on asylum seekers.

T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

This is delusional. I'll leave you to keep drinking your own bathwater.

gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

It's delusional to think that referring to immigrants or potential immigrants or asylum serkers as rapists, paedophiles and murderers has no effect on the immigrants already in the country or soon to be in the country, and how these immigrants are treated by Anning and his followers. Honestly you cannot see how those comments would be taken by the stakeholders?