IronRaiden
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Jarrod Kennedy

Re: One signal will put an end to all religions

Post by IronRaiden »

Dr Zaius wrote:
IronRaiden wrote:
The Nickman wrote:
IronRaiden wrote:Speaking of jews - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... arade.html

I'm sure the deeply religious man who killed her feels justified in his actions. God bless god.
How the **** does this have anything to do with God??
Leviticus 20:13 "If a man has sexual relations with a man as one does with a woman, both of them have done what is detestable. They are to be put to death; their blood will be on their own heads."
How does a man put his todger into another man's vagina?
Children are the greatest advertisement for birth control.
Manbush
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Luke Turner

Post by Manbush »

I'm not sure that surgery existed back then IR, so perhaps Leviticus was written by Greeks.
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
IronRaiden
Brett Mullins

Post by IronRaiden »

Manbush wrote:I'm not sure that surgery existed back then IR, so perhaps Leviticus was written by Greeks.
Edit
Last edited by T_R on August 5, 2015, 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Play nicely, please.
IronRaiden
Brett Mullins

Post by IronRaiden »

IronRaiden wrote:
Manbush wrote:I'm not sure that surgery existed back then IR, so perhaps Leviticus was written by Greeks.
Edit
C'mon TR my comment was funny!
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

:lol:
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

IronRaiden wrote:
IronRaiden wrote:
Edit
Yes, but it was in a early 90's People magazine kind of funny.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

The Nickman wrote:But dubby does only pick and choose the bits he like though, just like every other religious person who follows the bible

I think it would be impossible to take the whole thing as gospel in this day and age, SB
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

T_R wrote:
IronRaiden wrote:
IronRaiden wrote:
Edit
Obviously unsuitable compared to the highbrow humor we're used to on the GH :lol:
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

dubby wrote:
The Nickman wrote:But dubby does only pick and choose the bits he like though, just like every other religious person who follows the bible

I think it would be impossible to take the whole thing as gospel in this day and age, SB
Dubby it's actually a good thing you do as otherwise you'd either be in gaol for killing or you'd be in a mental institution driven crazy by the contradictory messages.

It's why I can't agree when someone says the terrorist can't have been Christian or Muslim etc because religion is about love, religious texts contain a lot of love but they also contain a lot of hate and violence so depends what parts you choose to follow and which parts you choose to ignore. Two people can read the exact same book and get two totally different messages hence why all religions will have the violent extremists and the kind loving ones, human nature we see what we want to see and explain away the rest.
IronRaiden
Brett Mullins

Post by IronRaiden »

T_R wrote:
IronRaiden wrote:
IronRaiden wrote:
Edit
A golden era for comedy, I recommend you tube Bill Hicks.

And besides it's the current affairs forum, you need to lighten up man.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

IronRaiden wrote:
Really? I thought we were using 2000 year old quotes to attack a bronze age religion.

Current Affairs indeed.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Ok a current quote from Andre Oliver (an African American)

"Telling an atheist to respect religion is like telling a black man to respect the klu klux klan".

Sounds extreme at first glance but when consider atheists are being killed around the world for what they are and what religious texts say about non believers it's pretty spot on.
IronRaiden
Brett Mullins

Post by IronRaiden »

T_R wrote:
IronRaiden wrote:
Really? I thought we were using 2000 year old quotes to attack a bronze age religion.

Current Affairs indeed.
In a thread about a current scientific endeavour. If you're going to attempt a cherry pick, try not be so obvious.

My comment was not aimed at another forum member, did not use any derogatory language or say anything libel. So why was it edited?
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

Manbush wrote:Ok a current quote from Andre Oliver (an African American)

"Telling an atheist to respect religion is like telling a black man to respect the klu klux klan".

Sounds extreme at first glance but when consider atheists are being killed around the world for what they are and what religious texts say about non believers it's pretty spot on.
It doesn't make sense. A persons religious beliefs or lack of are a choice. Skin colour is not.

AFAIAC people's personal beliefs should be respected up until the point where they conflict with scientific fact or they attempt to force them onto others.
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

some religions already believe in beings not from earth.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

IronRaiden wrote:
My comment was not aimed at another forum member, did not use any derogatory language or say anything libel. So why was it edited?
For the only reason anything is ever edited here: It was outside the rules.

If you have an issue with it, you are welcome to PM any Mod / Admin. It won't be discussed further here.

Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Green eyed Mick wrote:
It doesn't make sense. A persons religious beliefs or lack of are a choice. Skin colour is not.
Use my line against me :lol:

The comparison is more about why should people respect groups that have killed and persecuted their kind, whose ideology is looking forward to their death (the rapture).
IronRaiden
Brett Mullins

Post by IronRaiden »

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/ ... rface.html

The possibility of finding life on Mars has come a significant step closer after Nasa announced a 'major scientific discovery' of flowing water on the red planet.

The agency has confirmed that 'dark fingers' spotted in Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter (MRO) images are likely made by liquid moving across, or beneath, the planet's surface.

These marks, which lengthen and darken as the seasons change, are the first evidence of their kind ever found on another planet and are the first step in confirming life can exist on the alien world.

This is very interesting because wherever there is liquid water there is the real big possibility of extra terrestrial life. Finding life on two planets in one solar system, particularly in an environment as harsh as Mars, would equate to there being life abundant throughout the universe. Europa (Jupiter moon) has a liquid ocean buried beneath kilometres of ice. Enceladus (Saturn moon) also has a hidden ocean under it's surface.

A sample of this extra terrestrial life could finally provide us an explanation as to where life originated. There is a widely held theory that the explosion of multi-celled life on Earth was the result of a comet or meteor from another planetary body bringing that multi-celled life. If it is proven life on Earth was the result of a meteor from Mars (or elsewhere), all religious texts can be recycled into toot paper.

Very exciting times.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley

IronRaiden wrote:http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/ ... rface.html

The possibility of finding life on Mars has come a significant step closer after Nasa announced a 'major scientific discovery' of flowing water on the red planet.

The agency has confirmed that 'dark fingers' spotted in Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter (MRO) images are likely made by liquid moving across, or beneath, the planet's surface.

These marks, which lengthen and darken as the seasons change, are the first evidence of their kind ever found on another planet and are the first step in confirming life can exist on the alien world.

This is very interesting because wherever there is liquid water there is the real big possibility of extra terrestrial life. Finding life on two planets in one solar system, particularly in an environment as harsh as Mars, would equate to there being life abundant throughout the universe. Europa (Jupiter moon) has a liquid ocean buried beneath kilometres of ice. Enceladus (Saturn moon) also has a hidden ocean under it's surface.

A sample of this extra terrestrial life could finally provide us an explanation as to where life originated. There is a widely held theory that the explosion of multi-celled life on Earth was the result of a comet or meteor from another planetary body bringing that multi-celled life. If it is proven life on Earth was the result of a meteor from Mars (or elsewhere), all religious texts can be recycled into toot paper.

Very exciting times.
If there is life on Mars God put it there for us to find.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Manbush wrote:Ok a current quote from Andre Oliver (an African American)

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Dubby I like and respect you as a person but surely you can understand why I should not respect a belief that I deserve to be tortured for eternity for just not worshipping some being, the fact people are taught that and willingly worship such a being is highly offensive, immoral and hate speech.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

The eternal damnation in a firey hell is not really true, but doesn't prevent some fanatics from spouting it.
You, and everyone else has a right not to believe
And I don't worship God because he is going to 'smite' everyone who says no to him.

dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

And mate, we've been over this. It will just end up with the same thing every time.

Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley

dubby wrote:The eternal damnation in a firey hell is not really true, but doesn't prevent some fanatics from spouting it.
And I don't worship God because he is going to 'smite' everyone who says no to him.
Jesus doesn't have an issue with gay people either but it doesn't stop fanatics from spouting it.
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

dubby wrote:The eternal damnation in a firey hell is not really true, but doesn't prevent some fanatics from spouting it.
A lot of people are taught and preach the eternal damnation though, if you don't I am curious what you believe happens to non believers.

I'm glad you don't believe that part, cause as I said loving a god you believe would do that would just be wrong on so many levels.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Green eyed Mick wrote:
Jesus doesn't have an issue with gay people either but it doesn't stop fanatics from spouting it.
But he opposes the act of homosexuality. But I agree he loves the person.

dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Manbush wrote:
A lot of people are taught and preach the eternal damnation though, if you don't I am curious what you believe happens to non believers.

I'm glad you don't believe that part, cause as I said loving a god you believe would do that would just be wrong on so many levels.
My understanding is that it's not 'eternal damnation '. They merely cease to exist.

gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

We agree on something religious dubby!

I just think all the religious people cease to exist when they die also...
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley

dubby wrote:
Green eyed Mick wrote:
Do you have a reference?
Green_Hammock
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Rapana, Campese

Post by Green_Hammock »

dubby wrote:
Green eyed Mick wrote:
Like the woman caught in adultery in John 8, Jesus said "go and sin no more".
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

dubby wrote:
Manbush wrote:

My understanding is that it's not 'eternal damnation '. They merely cease to exist.
Cool cheers for the response mate, for mine that is a much more respectable and moral belief.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Green eyed Mick wrote:
dubby wrote:
Green eyed Mick wrote:
Do you have a reference?
Yeah mate, I'll put it up later. It needs a bit of explaining.

dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Manbush wrote:
dubby wrote:
Manbush wrote:

Cool cheers for the response mate, for mine that is a much more respectable and moral belief.
Cheers mate.

Jesus spoke in parables, and he does make one which alludes to the eternal damnation, but it can be folly to take a parable literally.

Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley

dubby wrote:
Green eyed Mick wrote:
dubby wrote:
Green eyed Mick wrote:
Do you have a reference?
Yeah mate, I'll put it up later. It needs a bit of explaining.
It shouldn't need much explaining. On things of genuine importance Jesus was pretty clear.

Jesus was incredibly clear when he said 'do unto others as you would have done to you'. I would wager most 10 year olds would understand that this simple direction commands Christians to not take from another what they would not want taken from them and they shouldn't deprive another what they would wish to have themselves. If marriage and equality is something Christians want for themselves than they are quite clearly defying the teachings and directions of Christ by demanding others of a different gender or sexuality are less worthy of the rights they enjoy.