Discuss all the events of the day

Moderator: GH Moderators

T_R
Don Furner

Re: One signal will put an end to all religions

Post by T_R »

Green_Hammock wrote:
Green eyed Mick wrote:
Green_Hammock wrote:To me the bible is the word of God and not just a book.
If the Bible is the word of God why do you ignore so much of it?
How can you possibly accuse me of that? You don't know how I live my life. You can't choose some verses to follow and others to not. The bible does say that homosexuals will not enter the kingdom of God.
You really, really dont want to go down that path.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

One signal will put an end to all religions

Post by The Nickman »

Green_Hammock wrote:
Green eyed Mick wrote:
Green_Hammock wrote:They have the same rights as us, they can't get married to someone of the same gender and neither can we. I believe that homosexuality is wrong, but it doesn't mean I have anything against any of the gay people I know.
Have you told the 'gay people that you know' that you believe they were born wrong? Or do you keep that to yourself?
If they asked me I would tell them my views and no I don't believe that anyone was born that way.
OOOOOOOOFFFF!!
Last edited by The Nickman on October 3, 2015, 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Green_Hammock wrote:To me the bible is the word of God and not just a book.
Excellent. So you're cool with all THIS stuff then...

Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Like most debates about the content of the Bible, there are way too many passages quoted here out of context or without an understanding of the historical environment in which it was written. Quoting certain 'rules' contained in the Old Testament like they are relevant under the paradigm of the New Testament simply demonstrates a complete misunderstanding of the entire journey of God's people and the fundamental reason for the coming of Jesus.

Most of the Bible is about God trying to establish a framework to protect the people of the world and the people of the world failing abysmally to follow the most basic of instructions to care for themselves and one another. The consequences are real and obvious. We see the awful things people do to each other in the news every day.

I'm with Green_Hammock in the debate about gay marriage. I don't think humans were biologically designed to be homosexual, but I'm certainly not going to die in a ditch if people choose to live that way and the law of the land is changed so they can get married. It's their choice. We all have free will to do and believe whatever we want. None of us are perfect and without fault. Doesn't make it right though. It also doesn't mean I love my gay friends any less than everyone else I know.
Manbush
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Luke Turner

Post by Manbush »

The biologically "designed" is another issue (glad didn't say it's not natural as animals prove otherwise), if we were designed then why do the two pieces fit, why is the mans gspot in his anus, if we were designed you could argue men were designed to be gay.
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

Just a quick thought as we have another mass shooting in america. There are cries to have tougher gun laws here in Australia with the common theme being that despite the majority of gun owners being good, the minority has ruined it for everyone.
As we have an officer killed the other day by a radicalised teenage muslim, why is there no such outcries about restrictions to islam in Australia?
Dont delete this GE
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Well said Seiffert
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

We weren't designed. The Bible's explanation for our existence is incorrect. context or otherwise believing we are a creation of God is as **** **** as believing the earth is flat.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

That's your opinion and you're entitled to it. Calling people **** for having different beliefs to yours says volemes about the quality of debate on these issues.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

The irony, is that people who call for "tolerance" etc are the ones who are quick to insult people of faith.
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

It's not entirely unexpected.
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

It's not about "faith" though IMO, I try and avoid name calling regardless of what people believe in but if people believe something that goes against all available evidence they are regularly insulted, be it holocaust deniers, flat earthers, climate change deniers and for mine religions fall into the same category. All the available hard evidence is for evolution, big bang etc, there is literally no scientific evidence for creation, that's why people IMO get insulted not because of their "faith".
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Manbush wrote:It's not about "faith" though IMO, I try and avoid name calling regardless of what people believe in but if people believe something that goes against all available evidence they are regularly insulted, be it holocaust deniers, flat earthers, climate change deniers and for mine religions fall into the same category. All the available hard evidence is for evolution, big bang etc, there is literally no scientific evidence for creation, that's why people IMO get insulted not because of their "faith".
Is there scientific evidence against a god?
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Is there scientific proof against leprechauns, unicorns, Santa Claus or the Flying Spaghetti Monster? You cannot disprove the existence of imaginary beings hence why the burden of proof lies with those making extraordinary claims.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Manbush wrote:Is there scientific proof against leprechauns, unicorns, Santa Claus or the Flying Spaghetti Monster? You cannot disprove the existence of imaginary beings hence why the burden of proof lies with those making extraordinary claims.
Nobody believes in any of those things Manbush, the overwhelming majority of people in the world follow some sort of religion and you and others see fit to belittle them because their beliefs don't match yours, despite a lack of proof that their beliefs are incorrect. Now don't get me wrong I'm not religious but I think that a lot of atheists are as biggoted as fundamentalist religious types.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Dr Zaius wrote:
Manbush wrote:Is there scientific proof against leprechauns, unicorns, Santa Claus or the Flying Spaghetti Monster? You cannot disprove the existence of imaginary beings hence why the burden of proof lies with those making extraordinary claims.
Nobody believes in any of those things Manbush, the overwhelming majority of people in the world follow some sort of religion and you and others see fit to belittle them because their beliefs don't match yours, despite a lack of proof that their beliefs are incorrect. Now don't get me wrong I'm not religious but I think that a lot of atheists are as biggoted as fundamentalist religious types.
Spot **** on.
Its amazing how much a dick a lot atheists are. As i've said here 100 times. What does it matter to any if Dubby or anyone else chooses to believe in God, Santa Clause, Unicorns or the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Athiests are some of the most preachy ***** going around, as this thread proves, the irony is off the damn charts

It takes a particular breed of **** **** to go and belittle someone for their religious beliefs as routinely posters in this thread do. IMO it says a lot more about the people who have this absolutely NEED to **** all over someone's beliefs, than it does about someone who chooses to believe.
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

A lot of children believe in those things Doc. If the majority of people were antivax would that make their ignorance of facts more respectable (there's more evidence against vaccines then for God).

Science and history are good proof that their beliefs are incorrect, evolution, historical inaccuracies in their religious texts etc.

Extraordinary claims (even widely held ones) still require some evidence, yet there is zero for this belief.
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Pigman a lot are vocal against the beliefs because they see it as detrimental to society, like people get rude to antivax brigade, climate change deniers, holocaust deniers, if something is detrimental to society and goes against all evidence surely there is a duty to be vocal against it.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Manbush wrote:A lot of children believe in those things Doc.
They are children Manbush. Children.
Manbush wrote:If the majority of people were antivax would that make their ignorance of facts more respectable (there's more evidence against vaccines then for God).
Vaccines Manbush? Vaccines?! This is your comparison? It's like comparing apples with echidnas. Type vaccine into pubmed and it brings 254,956 articles. Your comparison is one of, if not the most studied interventions in medical history? Jesus Christ Manbush, that's bizarre even for you. What is this evidence against vaccines you speak of.

Awaits rabid posting of links to pseudoscientific "articles" posted on anti vax sites found on Google.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Manbush wrote:Pigman a lot are vocal against the beliefs because they see it as detrimental to society, like people get rude to antivax brigade, climate change deniers, holocaust deniers, if something is detrimental to society and goes against all evidence surely there is a duty to be vocal against it.
Na i dont think any of those examples ring true at all, i think a lot of people are vocal about it because like you, a lot of people are turds
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Dr Zaius wrote:
Manbush wrote:If the majority of people were antivax would that make their ignorance of facts more respectable (there's more evidence against vaccines then for God).
Vaccines Manbush? Vaccines?! This is your comparison? It's like comparing apples with echidnas. Type vaccine into pubmed and it brings 254,956 articles. Your comparison is one of, if not the most studied interventions in medical history? Jesus Christ Manbush, that's bizarre even for you. What is this evidence against vaccines you speak of.

Awaits rabid posting of links to pseudoscientific "articles" posted on anti vax sites found on Google.
Agree with the children part, at least kids have that excuse to believe in those things and parents eventually teach them otherwise (unless they discover themselves).

Type in evolution on science sites, both are proven FACTS which have people disagreeing with them for absurd reasons, that was the reason for the comparison and the fact both beliefs are detrimental to society.
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Pigman wrote:
Manbush wrote:Pigman a lot are vocal against the beliefs because they see it as detrimental to society, like people get rude to antivax brigade, climate change deniers, holocaust deniers, if something is detrimental to society and goes against all evidence surely there is a duty to be vocal against it.
Na i dont think any of those examples ring true at all, i think a lot of people are vocal about it because like you, a lot of people are turds
Well you'd be wrong (surprise surprise), once religion butts out of people's lives I firmly believe you'll see a lot less militant atheists.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

The only difference between anti-vaxers and creationists is there are a **** load more creationists. They both believe in unverifiable, unscientific ****ing nonsense.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Manbush wrote:
Dr Zaius wrote:

Agree with the children part, at least kids have that excuse to believe in those things and parents eventually teach them otherwise (unless they discover themselves).

Type in evolution on science sites, both are proven FACTS which have people disagreeing with them for absurd reasons, that was the reason for the comparison and the fact both beliefs are detrimental to society.
Can you not separate a belief in evolution and a belief in a god. The two aren't mutually exclusive.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Green eyed Mick wrote:The only difference between anti-vaxers and creationists is there are a **** load more creationists. They both believe in unverifiable, unscientific ****ing nonsense.
Well there is another major difference, 99.9% of people who believe in God, you know, the ones who are just good natured people who attend church on sundays, dont put anyone at risk by believing in God. Where as every single anti-vaxers puts many, MANY others at great risk.
Pretty significant difference, i'd say.
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Pigman wrote:
Green eyed Mick wrote:The only difference between anti-vaxers and creationists is there are a **** load more creationists. They both believe in unverifiable, unscientific ****ing nonsense.
Well there is another major difference, 99.9% of people who believe in God, you know, the ones who are just good natured people who attend church on sundays, dont put anyone at risk by believing in God. Where as every single anti-vaxers puts many, MANY others at great risk.
Pretty significant difference, i'd say.
So if I was an anti vaxer (which I'm not) even though I have no kids I'd be putting lives at risk for simply believing the same thing? Well let's apply that reasoning to religious people who believe the same things as those who are killing, discriminating, oppressing, standing in the way of medicine and scientific research, indoctrinating children through fear and intimidation etc, now you can start to see where militant atheists are coming from.
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Dr Zaius wrote:
Manbush wrote:
Dr Zaius wrote:

Can you not separate a belief in evolution and a belief in a god. The two aren't mutually exclusive.
Agree, SOME religions have evolved to accept evolution because it's a proven fact so it makes them look less ridiculous (despite it disagreeing with their holy books), but it's hardly the only thing in the bible proven wrong.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

How many anti-vaxers are without kids? Come on now. Almost every one of them have kids, they wind up anti-vaxxers because they get pregnant, and start googling and stumble across some loons rants

If you dont get your kids vaccinated, you're putting them and their entire community at risk. Every single child who is not vaccinated is a health risk to the community. A child un-vaccinated is a substancially greater risk than those children who are vaccinated. The VAST majority of anti-vaxers are putting the community at risk.

If you believe in god and go to Church, you're putting your own free time at risk. Nothing else. The vast, VAST, VAST! majority of people who believe in God are no greater risk to the community than someone who doesnt believe in god.

Again, just me, but i think the example provided with anti vaxers is one of the **** dumbest things ive ever read from you, and boy is that a hot field.

And no, as said, none of your examples ring true, so i dont at all see where millitant atheists are coming from. What i can see is that they are generally some of the most bigotted and intolerant ***** walking this earth.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Just to be clear, I never said anything about creationists. I was talking about people who follow a religion in general. Creationists are a sub-section of religious people. That is a separate discussion to what I was talking about. Asserting that the earth is only a few thousand years old despite all evidence to the contrary is absurd.
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Pigman wrote:How many anti-vaxers are without kids? Come on now. Almost every one of them have kids, they wind up anti-vaxxers because they get pregnant, and start googling and stumble across some loons rants

If you dont get your kids vaccinated, you're putting them and their entire community at risk. Every single child who is not vaccinated is a health risk to the community. A child un-vaccinated is a substancially greater risk than those children who are vaccinated. The VAST majority of anti-vaxers are putting the community at risk.

If you believe in god and go to Church, you're putting your own free time at risk. Nothing else. The vast, VAST, VAST! majority of people who believe in God are no greater risk to the community than someone who doesnt believe in god.

Again, just me, but i think the example provided with anti vaxers is one of the **** dumbest things ive ever read from you, and boy is that a hot field.

And no, as said, none of your examples ring true, so i dont at all see where millitant atheists are coming from. What i can see is that they are generally some of the most bigotted and intolerant **** walking this earth.
there are some, the only antivaxer I see on my FB feed is a former optometrist for our company, single lady otherwise very intelligent with no children, constantly putting up and commenting on the issue.

You're free to believe people's religious beliefs don't affect others, in Australia I think pro choice, people for marriage equality and euthanasia might disagree as would those that want religion to butt out of our public education system.

The antivax comparison was IMO valid, both are dangerous and go against all evidence.

Some of most bigoted and intolerant coming from you? The man who gets abusive and calls people names over inconsequential things like football opinions, you'd have to be one of the most bigoted intolerant people I've ever seen online.

You may see no harm in religion but not all of us are blind to it.
Last edited by Manbush on October 3, 2015, 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Dr Zaius wrote:Just to be clear, I never said anything about creationists. I was talking about people who follow a religion in general. Creationists are a sub-section of religious people. That is a separate discussion to what I was talking about. Asserting that the earth is only a few thousand years old despite all evidence to the contrary is absurd.
How many religions aren't creationist based, even when they do believe in evolution or the earth is older than 6000years?

You being a man of science I'm surprised you have no problem with people ignoring evidence for faith, indoctrinating children to do the same, trying to interfere with medicine etc.

To be fair there are some religious people I have no problem with, as long as they don't try to impose their beliefs on others worship any being you like, but unfortunately they are in the crossfire because religion as a whole is trying to impose itself. They believe they have a privilege to be the only thing immune to criticism, **** even the pope tried to justify the Charie Hebdo shooting. Criticise any other kind of belief that has no evidence is fine but criticise religion which has no evidence and you're a bigot and intolerant.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Manbush wrote:
Dr Zaius wrote:Just to be clear, I never said anything about creationists. I was talking about people who follow a religion in general. Creationists are a sub-section of religious people. That is a separate discussion to what I was talking about. Asserting that the earth is only a few thousand years old despite all evidence to the contrary is absurd.
How many religions aren't creationist based, even when they do believe in evolution or the earth is older than 6000years?

You being a man of science I'm surprised you have no problem with people ignoring evidence for faith, indoctrinating children to do the same, trying to interfere with medicine etc.

To be fair there are some religious people I have no problem with, as long as they don't try to impose their beliefs on others worship any being you like, but unfortunately they are in the crossfire because religion as a whole is trying to impose itself. They believe they have a privilege to be the only thing immune to criticism, **** even the pope tried to justify the Charie Hebdo shooting. Criticise any other kind of belief that has no evidence is fine but criticise religion which has no evidence and you're a bigot and intolerant.
You see, you sound like a biggot. You're basically pigeon holeing all religious people into a stereotype. The majority of religious people in this country go about their daily life, they practice their faith and they don't bother anyone. They're no more ramming principles down throats, picketing and frothing at the mouth than the average Muslim is trying to blow **** up. Yes I have a problem with people like that, but some people are jerks. You on the other hand are behaving like a typical bigoted atheist - also a jerk.
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Now I think the definition of bigotry is required.

bigotry

intolerance towards those who hold different opinions from oneself.

Now most atheists I know aren't intolerant of those with different beliefs just intolerant of the actual beliefs themselves so therefore are not bigots, there's a difference. As I said earlier I like and respect Dubby he's a good bloke as are my religious mates but I do not need to respect every opinion they have when they go against the actual evidence just as I don't expect them to respect all of my opinions and beliefs, you can respect the person and not the belief but some people have difficulties comprehending that.
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Dr Zaius wrote:
Manbush wrote:

You see, you sound like a biggot. You're basically pigeon holeing all religious people into a stereotype. The majority of religious people in this country go about their daily life, they practice their faith and they don't bother anyone. They're no more ramming principles down throats, picketing and frothing at the mouth than the average Muslim is trying to blow **** up. Yes I have a problem with people like that, but some people are jerks. You on the other hand are behaving like a typical bigoted atheist - also a jerk.
Um did you miss the part where I said I have no problems with those religious types? When a belief (with no evidence) is the basis and is used to justify so much wrong in the world what's wrong with criticising that belief?
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Manbush wrote:Now I think the definition of bigotry is required.

bigotry

intolerance towards those who hold different opinions from oneself.

Now most atheists I know aren't intolerant of those with different beliefs just intolerant of the actual beliefs themselves so therefore are not bigots, there's a difference.
:lol:

Manbush everyone!!!
**** hell, you're like a god damn parody account hahah!