Latest terrorist threat to Australia

Discuss all the events of the day

Moderator: GH Moderators

Manbush
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Luke Turner

Re: Latest terrorist threat to Australia

Post by Manbush »

Schifty wrote:The NT Labor president has gone to Syria to fight with the Kurds against ISIS :shock: :shock: :shock:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-01-25/n ... te/6045204
Strange combo of people joining the fight :lol:
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
Raidersrawesome
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Captain Croker

Post by Raidersrawesome »

Inquest begins into Sydney siege deaths

WHEN Man Haron Monis walked into the Lindt Cafe there was no hint of the calamity that was about to unfold.

His sawn-off pump action shotgun was hidden in a blue plastic bag and the Islamic flag he would later make terrified hostages hold at the windows was hidden from view.

Like an ordinary customer, he ordered chocolate cake and drank a cup of tea. When he’d finished he asked if he could be moved to another table — one close to the doors that would give him a view of the whole cafe.

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/national/nsw-act ... 7200287598
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Could be interesting.

The New York Times was revealing that the so-called “20th 9/11 bomber”, Zacarias Moussaoui, wishes to testify that he once delivered letters from Osama bin Laden to Crown Prince Salman – now the Saudi King – and that prominent Saudi royals were helping to fund al-Qaeda

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 24324.html
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Very, very interesting.

Good find, Hanbush.
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Thank Schifty, was an article attached to his weed one :lol:
Professor
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Bae

Post by Professor »

I'm not sure I care too much for this women's attitude - is she really so ignorant to think that Monis' request to talk to the PM would be granted?

Did anyone watch the interview? If so, did she come off as bad as I feel she does in the below story?

http://mobile.news.com.au/entertainment ... 7212315699
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

I think that she is pretty traumatised mate. What she went through was horrific.
Professor
Steve Walters

Post by Professor »

No doubt, and I dont for one moment take lightly what the hostages went through. I just find her attitude somewhat unbecoming given she survived.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

She comes across as angry. Traumatised people are often angry. That anger isn't necessarily rational.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Yeah im not bothered, what she went through was horrific, im not going to tell her who she has a right to be angry and not angry at, and how she should react. I think most people will accept she is extremely traumatised by the events and take her comments in correct context.
Schifty
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by Schifty »

I didn't see either of the interviews.. Thought the way Seven and Nine kept on trying to one up each other since the whole thing broke was disgusting.

I think 7 wins though for when they were bragging about being inside the 'command centre which was purely because their studio was across the road.
Professor
Steve Walters

Post by Professor »

For mine, the context against which I assess her comments and demeanor is that she survived.

I think I coul appreciate more such comments coming from the loved ones of the deceased, I guess.

I don't know, I think I'm just sick of the Police seemingly unable to ever win, no matter what they do.

Anyway, as Doc has said, given what she experienced, she's angry but it doesn't mean she's being rational. I can appreciate that.
Professor
Steve Walters

Post by Professor »

Two arrested in Sydney terror plot - http://mobile.news.com.au/national/two- ... 7215471479
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Oh ****, nobody tell Lucy or DJ.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

The Nickman wrote:Oh ****, nobody tell Lucy or DJ.
Can't. As news of the incident broke, Lucy moved to the safe room in the heart of his bunker.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

In the meantime, I've re-doubled the training of my close protection force for when I come to Sydney in April.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

T_R wrote:
Can't. As news of the incident broke, Lucy moved to the safe room in the heart of his bunker.
And DJ just cancelled plans for his next seven New Years.
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Poor lil fellas scared for their lives.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... mates.html
Schifty
Laurie Daley

Post by Schifty »

They should kept locked up for the gym selfies alone.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-31528159

David Hicks conviction overturned. US won't appeal.
DJ89
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by DJ89 »

The Nickman wrote:
T_R wrote:
And DJ just cancelled plans for his next seven New Years.
Good one Mr. This Category 5 Cyclone is 'scary'.

**** Girl Scout.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

You're kidding, right?? As far as I know; it hasn't caused me to cancel any of my future plans, nor have I proclaimed life will never be the same, although, y'know, I am in a little bit of ACTUAL danger
Schifty
Laurie Daley

Post by Schifty »

Cyclones in a terrorism thread? :|

Anyway stay safe Nickman.
DJ89
Ricky Stuart

Post by DJ89 »

The Nickman wrote:You're kidding, right?? As far as I know; it hasn't caused me to cancel any of my future plans, nor have I proclaimed life will never be the same, although, y'know, I am in a little bit of ACTUAL danger
Don't listen to the media. It's all fear-mongering. Apparently the waters of the coast are extremely 'dangerous'. Which is funny because I have surfed 3 times in the past 24 hours and there was a total of zero danger.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

There weren't any Muslims at the beach. That's why it was so safe.

Schifty
Laurie Daley

Post by Schifty »

T_R wrote:There weren't any Muslims at the beach. That's why it was so safe.
That's what you think. I have it on good authority there was a 'Ginger Jihad' scouting the area.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

****. Back to my bunker!

Raider Bell
Gary Belcher
Favourite Player: Billyt

Post by Raider Bell »

DJ89 wrote:
The Nickman wrote:You're kidding, right?? As far as I know; it hasn't caused me to cancel any of my future plans, nor have I proclaimed life will never be the same, although, y'know, I am in a little bit of ACTUAL danger
Don't listen to the media. It's all fear-mongering. Apparently the waters of the coast are extremely 'dangerous'. Which is funny because I have surfed 3 times in the past 24 hours and there was a total of zero danger.
Lel.
"A hex on your house, and more importantly your health"
"I truly hope the spirit of my mate gives you hell, you deserve it"
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Yep, nothing to worry about here, Deej. We have no power, my old Queenslander house is shaking and it's blowing a gail outside, my yard is full of fallen trees and we have THIS to contend with

But yeah, all just a hoax. I'm such a pussy I didn't even go to work today.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

im enjoying this role reversal
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

You're kidding right?? I'm STILL not as panicked as Lucy and DJ were at their perceived threat

Haven't cancelled New Years OR proclaimed the world is ending yet
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Tree over my back fence doesn't seem to think its all a hoax, but otherwise we're all good here, ladies

I'm going to boldly predict that life is going to carry on as usual within a few weeks
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

The Nickman wrote: my old Queenslander house is shaking .
What do you expect living in a Qlder, bunch of pussies should live in a NSWer!!!
Shadow Boxer
Ricky Stuart

Post by Shadow Boxer »

Doesn't QLD just send the rest of Australia the bill when this happens and build new stick houses ?

Seriously though, stay safe mate
DJ89
Ricky Stuart

Post by DJ89 »

Oh no pussy cat!

I hope the cyclone doesn't huff and puff and blow your house down!

There have been cyclones in past, I don't see how this is any different to ones before. Everything will be Business As Usual in no time. So there is no reason for fear or concern.

P.s I am a bit of a prick telling someone that something shouldn't instil fear in people them, right?