Re: King hits

Post by The Nickman »

Good post GeM.

With the exception of banning alcohol, of course. :P
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Green eyed Mick wrote:With Heroin it is a no brainer. 1000's of people in this country are already functioning opiate addicts. Heroin is basically a crude and powerful sedative and pain reliever. It is addictive but unlike Alcohol in doesn't have the dangerous side effect of reducing inhibitions and increasing risk taking behaviour.
It is also a respiratory depressant which causes respiratory arrest and subsequently death.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

Dr Zaius wrote:
Green eyed Mick wrote:With Heroin it is a no brainer. 1000's of people in this country are already functioning opiate addicts. Heroin is basically a crude and powerful sedative and pain reliever. It is addictive but unlike Alcohol in doesn't have the dangerous side effect of reducing inhibitions and increasing risk taking behaviour.
It is also a respiratory depressant which causes respiratory arrest and subsequently death.
Of course. But these side effects don't impact joe average who smokes a little heroin once a fortnight. They impact long term addicts or people that aren't aware of the purity or the dose they are taking (accidental overdoses are common because of this). Alcohol also causes kidney failure and cirrhosis. It can also kill. But these things aren't going to happen to someone who drinks 3 or 4 beers a week.

Anyway my point is that drugs aren't the problem. Drug addication and the underlying social and mental health problems that lead to addiction are the problem. While we continue to cloud the debate with a blanket 'drugs are bad' attitude we won't be able to have the adult discussion on addiction and treatment that needs to take place.
Manbush
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Luke Turner

Post by Manbush »

Luffty wrote:
Manbush wrote:For the drinkers who like to judge others

" Alcohol is a more dangerous drug than both crack and heroin when the combined harms to the user and to others are assessed, British scientists said Monday.

Presenting a new scale of drug harm that rates the damage to users themselves and to wider society, the scientists rated alcohol the most harmful overall and almost three times as harmful as cocaine or tobacco."

Read more http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUST ... 1?irpc=932

Alcohol 14 times more dangerous than mushies :lol:

Just reading more on the research, crack and heroine are the most dangerous (alcohol ranked 4th) to the user but alcohol ranked highest for danger to others.
So, if you had a choice you would ban alcohol and make crack and heroin legal?
If the laws were actually about the danger of the substance then those 3 would be the first 3 banned.

Don't get me wrong I enjoy a drink but I have to laugh when heavy drinkers try and demonise other drugs without realising how alcohol compares.
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Legalising drugs to reduce crime (thus making the drugs less expensive and more available to children), is right up there with the right to bear arms in the "seemed like a good idea at the time" department.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

It's really not, Seiffert. Someone much more good with their speaking words can explain it better than me, but it actually does make sense if done properly.
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Seiffert82 wrote:Legalising drugs to reduce crime (thus making the drugs less expensive and more available to children), is right up there with the right to bear arms in the "seemed like a good idea at the time" department.
How would legalising make them more available to kids, they'd be sold like tobacco and alcohol rather than on street corners. I'd say its easier for kids to buy drugs at the moment than grog.
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
Jake
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Paul Vaughan

Post by Jake »

With the Bushmeister on this one. The war on drugs has done nothing but cause more problems and the current system is clearly a mess. Eventually, kids grow up, use their own brains and realise they've been lied to their whole lives about a lot of things, namely alcohol and drugs. The only way it will EVER be controlled is regulation, and I think substances with the potential to harm should most certainly be regulated by the government... But I think it's crazy to say you don't have the right to do whatever the hell you want to in the privacy of your own home.

Also... I hope the scum rots in jail. King hits are the absolute epitome of subhuman behaviour. Alcohol does cause problems (lack of inhibitions etc.) but you can't just blame alcohol. The macho culture is a blight on society and has killed the idea of having a good night out for a lot of people. I'm rambling a little bit but I feel quite strongly about these issues.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Manbush wrote:
Seiffert82 wrote:Legalising drugs to reduce crime (thus making the drugs less expensive and more available to children), is right up there with the right to bear arms in the "seemed like a good idea at the time" department.
How would legalising make them more available to kids, they'd be sold like tobacco and alcohol rather than on street corners. I'd say its easier for kids to buy drugs at the moment than grog.
Absolutely. All of the teenagers I know these days don't even attempt to buy grog or drink in pubs like we did their age.

They all have to rely on their parents to get them alcohol, which results in at least their parents knowing what they're up to.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

I agree. It's only the stoners who try and justify it
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Jake
Brett Mullins

Post by Jake »

dubby wrote:I agree. It's only the stoners who try and justify it
Productive comment. What is a "stoner," dubby?
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

dubby wrote:
I agree. It's only the stoners who try and justify it
That's a rubbish statement, dubby. I expect better from you.

:hmmm

No I don't.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Do you really think people who don't use drugs want them legalised?
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Jake
Brett Mullins

Post by Jake »

dubby wrote:Do you really think people who don't use drugs want them legalised?
Yes.

Or at least they should.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Sensible people who understand the problem do, yes.

My dad does no form of drugs other than alcohol and he's the very person that first explained to me that they should legalise everything and regulate it properly. And he's a very, very intelligent man. Second smartest person I know, in fact.
Raider Bell
Gary Belcher
Favourite Player: Billyt

Post by Raider Bell »

Who's the first, Nickman?

And do you have any stats to back this claim up?
"A hex on your house, and more importantly your health"
"I truly hope the spirit of my mate gives you hell, you deserve it"
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

The smartest person I know is definitely Manbush. He wears glasses.

And no, I don't have any official stats to back this up, but If I were to hazard a guess I'd say it was about 2005 when Dad first floated this suggestion to me.
Raider Bell
Gary Belcher
Favourite Player: Billyt

Post by Raider Bell »

Oh, he wears glasses? I feel a bit silly for disagreeing with some of his posts in relation to drugs now. I won't be making that mistake again.
"A hex on your house, and more importantly your health"
"I truly hope the spirit of my mate gives you hell, you deserve it"
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Certainly puts things into context, doesn't it??
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Wow Dubs you really need to do more reading on that, medical associations, law enforcement agencies, even Rudds 20/20 summit.

There are some drugs I think are as evil as you do and would never use but I still believe should be legalised.
Raidersrawesome
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Captain Croker

Post by Raidersrawesome »

The Government is inept to control anything . Legalising drugs won't solve anything . There will still be people OD , robberies because they can't afford to buy them and driving under the influence .

Still happens all with alcohol
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Raidersrawesome wrote:The Government is inept to control anything . Legalising drugs won't solve anything . There will still be people OD , robberies because they can't afford to buy them and driving under the influence .

Still happens all with alcohol
Nobody's saying those things will disappear, Rra!! The legalisation won't prevent many of the problems the drugs cause in society, but they WILL take most of the criminal element, trafficking and selling out of the picture.

This isn't rocket surgery.
Please
Gary Belcher
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by Please »

I love how on certain Facebook pages there is a post about legalizing pot - and the majority of people that are in support of it rite lik dis coz they r smart and pot dnt cause no damage nd it makes me smrter
Well, at least Jack got paid.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

I don't think legalizing all drugs will solve the problems. Do you think underworld crime will just disappear? I think they will compete with legal version

The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

It's doubtful, dubs

When's the last time you know someone who bought some bootleg alcohol or tobacco??
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Luffty wrote:I love how on certain Facebook pages there is a post about legalizing pot - and the majority of people that are in support of it rite lik dis coz they r smart and pot dnt cause no damage nd it makes me smrter
Isn't that how a lot of young people write whether pot smokers or not?
dubby wrote:I don't think legalizing all drugs will solve the problems. Do you think underworld crime will just disappear? I think they will compete with legal version
They won't disappear but they'll need to find another source of income like they did when prostitution was legalised and when alcohol prohibition ended.

One thing legalising and regulating will do is make them safer due to quality controls, you'll see a hell of a lot less over doses.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Manbush wrote: One thing legalising and regulating will do is make them safer due to quality controls, you'll see a hell of a lot less over doses.
Exactly, I see no sane reason to not do this to be honest.

As it stands right now, everybody who wants to do illegal drugs can do them. It's not like legalising them will all of a sudden turn everybody into a junkie, that's just not how people work.
Please
Gary Belcher

Post by Please »

Manbush wrote:
Luffty wrote:I love how on certain Facebook pages there is a post about legalizing pot - and the majority of people that are in support of it rite lik dis coz they r smart and pot dnt cause no damage nd it makes me smrter

Oh, it's far from just kids and even young people commenting like that.
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Luffty wrote:
Manbush wrote:

Oh, it's far from just kids and even young people commenting like that.
And it's far from just pot smokers who talk like that, hate to tell ya mate but alcohol is worse for your brain according to the experts.

http://m.phys.org/_news157280425.html
http://www.m.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/ne ... mage-brain
Please
Gary Belcher

Post by Please »

Sigh. I'm never going to win against the hippies am I?
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

It's not a case of winning mate just realising alcohol is a pretty bad drug in comparison to many others, being legal doesn't change that.

Ps Dr Zauis have you heard of the spray Sativex used in Australia for MS treatment? Uses cannabis extracts also a lot of positive research on treating brain cancer which (you'd know for sure)is supposedly very hard to treat.
Last edited by Manbush on January 16, 2014, 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Luffty wrote:Sigh. I'm never going to win against the hippies am I?
I don't think you understand what we're getting at here to be perfectly honest.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Manbush wrote:It's not a case of winning mate just realising alcohol is a pretty bad drug in comparison to many others, being legal doesn't change that.

Ps Dr Zauis have you heard of the spray Sativex used in Australia for MS treatment? Uses cannabis extracts also a lot of positive research on treating brain cancer which (you'd know for sure)is supposedly very hard to treat.
What's your point?
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Manbush has a point??