Racism in Australia

Discuss all the events of the day

Moderator: GH Moderators

T_R
Don Furner

Re: Racism in Australia

Post by T_R »

You're coming at this in the wrong way. A right exists in this country until it is taken away. The right of free speech exists where there are no provision to curb it.

I'm troubled by aspects of the various Anti Discrimination Acts in that they are moving into some very murky territory. Racism is my personal bugbear and not much gets me more worked up, but there has to be some balance. There are a lot of avenues for people to seek redress where they have suffered some form of injury as a result of the words of someone else; I would be troubled if the Anti Discrimination act moves to curb behaviours that do not result in injury.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Michael
Mal Meninga

Post by Michael »

T_R wrote:You're coming at this in the wrong way. A right exists in this country until it is taken away. The right of free speech exists where there are no provision to curb it.

I'm troubled by aspects of the various Anti Discrimination Acts in that they are moving into some very murky territory. Racism is my personal bugbear and not much gets me more worked up, but there has to be some balance. There are a lot of avenues for people to seek redress where they have suffered some form of injury as a result of the words of someone else; I would be troubled if the Anti Discrimination act moves to curb behaviours that do not result in injury.
Do you agree with Abbott when he says that prosecutions under that section of the Act undermine the concept of free speech?
Albi
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Racism in Australia

Post by Albi »

Anti discrimination laws also trouble me as they're often used by religious organisations to avoid criticism. It's no surprise that Labor Senator Michael Danby has been one of the first to react to this announcement considering he equates the slightest criticism of Israel with anti-semitism.

However, I believe Abbott's intent is nothing more than his usual dog whistling, appealing to a constituency that believes Andrew Bolt is a crusader for truth and rationality.

I don't know where the line is TBH, and look forward to seeing where this all goes
Canberra Raiders Bronze Member

Banner courtesy of the very talented, fistinz.
Manbush
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Luke Turner

Post by Manbush »

Anyone know what Bolt said?
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Michael wrote:
T_R wrote:You're coming at this in the wrong way. A right exists in this country until it is taken away. The right of free speech exists where there are no provision to curb it.

Do you agree with Abbott when he says that prosecutions under that section of the Act undermine the concept of free speech?
It depends on how the act is applied, surely. I would suggest that there are very, very few prosecutions under it anyway.

I would like to see some kind of evidence that damage or hurt has been caused by a statement before it be prosecuted; but at that point, there should be civil remedies available anyway. I'm sure you know much more about this than I do, but I'm not sure that issues of simple decency are best dealt with in the courts.

Look, I think Abbott is a complete goose, but we have to be very careful about this culture of creeping regulation and restriction in our society. His article has received far, far more publicity as a result of all this, and far, far more people have been exposed to this thoughts, than if we'd all just rolled our eyes and turned the page of the newspaper.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Stuat
Gary Belcher

Racism in Australia

Post by Stuat »

My understanding is he called a number of aboriginals white and said they were only identifying as aboriginals to gain an edge career wise/monetarily etc... Which, however unsavory, would have been fine in and of itself but he also lied about the heritage and upbringing of the people who took him to court to strengthen his "case" against them... Thats what got him in trouble. If he had actually used the freely available facts about each of the people involved, rather than lying about their heritage/upbringing, he wouldn't have had a case to answer.

Could have been tried under defamation law for a time, but the time limit on that had passed by the time of the lawsuit was brought against him. The other thing with defo law is you cant take a case to court as a group. So each individual would have had to take a separate case and would have had to find the money to back it, so all would have been very unlikely to take that option because of the large financial stakes involved in bringing a court case against somebody. Defo law only really protects the rich and powerful, people who can actually afford it...

Note: I am not a lawyer.
VictorTheViking
Ricky Stuart

Post by VictorTheViking »

I kind of pictured the guy my brother in laws sister is married too when I read that, white as white can be, but his mother is full blooded aboriginal (very nice lady too actually, one of the few nice indigenous people I've met up here).

Anyway, he is the poster boy for the stereotypical indigenous bludger, one that has opportunity after opportunity handed to him on a platter and bins them, while others around him.flog their guts out every day to put food.on the table, he would rather take the taxpayers money and go to the pub every night rather than be a father to his four kids that he claims he is a single father for (two from a previous relationship he doesn't even have custody of......).

Then there is his wife (my brother in laws sister) who actually does work, but is the laziest bitch I have ever met (fancy sending your kids to your parents house to eat because you apparently forgot to go shopping) when instead you and your husband (they never informed centrelink they married 4 years ago and have lived together for 8 despite being reported numerous times) went to the club and put your weeks earnings, your centrelink parent pension (because all of the children are part aboriginal she gets more than the regular "single" mother) and then his **** 1400 a fortnight "single father" pension through the pokies.......

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against aboriginal or indigenous people in general, they are people, but it **** pisses me off to see that I have to slave my ass off 40+ hours a week when this **** can sit on his ass at home and make more than me because he is part aboriginal....tell.me how is that fair
VictorTheViking
Ricky Stuart

I could have worded a lot of that better, but once I started, it just didn't stop, sorry guys.
Albi
David Furner

Racism in Australia

Post by Albi »

^^ Sounds like 3/4 of the population of Bundaberg who are mostly white...

Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

VictorTheViking wrote:I kind of pictured the guy my brother in laws sister is married too when I read that, white as white can be, but his mother is full blooded aboriginal (very nice lady too actually, one of the few nice indigenous people I've met up here).

Anyway, he is the poster boy for the stereotypical indigenous bludger, one that has opportunity after opportunity handed to him on a platter and bins them, while others around him.flog their guts out every day to put food.on the table, he would rather take the taxpayers money and go to the pub every night rather than be a father to his four kids that he claims he is a single father for (two from a previous relationship he doesn't even have custody of......).

Then there is his wife (my brother in laws sister) who actually does work, but is the laziest bitch I have ever met (fancy sending your kids to your parents house to eat because you apparently forgot to go shopping) when instead you and your husband (they never informed centrelink they married 4 years ago and have lived together for 8 despite being reported numerous times) went to the club and put your weeks earnings, your centrelink parent pension (because all of the children are part aboriginal she gets more than the regular "single" mother) and then his **** 1400 a fortnight "single father" pension through the pokies.......

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against aboriginal or indigenous people in general, they are people, but it **** pisses me off to see that I have to slave my ass off 40+ hours a week when this **** can sit on his ass at home and make more than me because he is part aboriginal....tell.me how is that fair
:nooo Dude you sound like a bit of a racist maybe it is the wording.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley

Albi wrote:^^ Sounds like 3/4 of the population of Bundaberg who are mostly white...
I always cringe when people want to make a distinction between your regular unmotivated, welfare dependant individual and your unmotivated welfare dependant individual who also happens to be ............... (Aboriginal, Pot Smoker, Arts Student, Immigrant, Hippie, etc, etc)
VictorTheViking
Ricky Stuart

Like I said gem, I could have worded it better.

But tell me, is it racist that it annoys the hell.out of me that this guy gets all these opportunities handed to him, education, qualifications (tickets that would cost you and me a fortune to get) handed to him so he can get work, only to sit on his ass and take the government cheque while others that would give an arm and a leg for those opportunities can't scrape together the $$$$ to actually pay for it??
VictorTheViking
Ricky Stuart

Keep.in mind that he has no medical.conditions, no disability, nothing is stopping him from getting a job, he has even turned down work....because he couldn't be bothered.

How is that fair to people who do want to work, and to those that work themselves to the bone......
VictorTheViking
Ricky Stuart

And the government keeps giving him money and opportunity to squander........

I have no problem with aboriginal people and welfare (that is far too complicated for someone as simple as me), I have a problem with lazy **** who take advantage of skin.colour or heritage to get something they don't deserve to have
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley

VictorTheViking wrote:Like I said gem, I could have worded it better.

But tell me, is it racist that it annoys the hell.out of me that this guy gets all these opportunities handed to him, education, qualifications (tickets that would cost you and me a fortune to get) handed to him so he can get work, only to sit on his ass and take the government cheque while others that would give an arm and a leg for those opportunities can't scrape together the $$$$ to actually pay for it??
IMO It would be racist if you believed he behaved like that because he is Indigenous. The fact is he behaves like that for a multitude of factors, none of them have anything to do with the colour of his skin.

To answer the second part of your post.

The governmet can't discriminate against the bloke that wants a hand-out in favour of the bloke that wants a hand-up. Government assistance is available to all individuals within the country and certain groups are for various reasons entitled to receive more or less than others. This is by no means a perfect system but is is based on the liklihood that certain groups face more hurdles than others. The extra entitlements and incentives are in place in an effort to bridge the gap in life outcomes for indigenous and non-indigenous Australians.

My personal opinion is our entire welfare system needs an overhaul to improve the allocation of funds for those that are genuinely looking for a hand-up rather than a hand-out.
Stuat
Gary Belcher

Racism in Australia

Post by Stuat »

Well the people Bolt went after we're mainly high achieves involved in indigenous politics etc. Not dole bludgers.

In any case, if he hadn't lied, he would have been fine. He could have said all he wanted, but his smears wouldn't have been quite as punchy because he would have had to use the facts of the people's upbringings rather than punchier fictions ;) ... That case at least is hardly a big infringement on free speech, defo cases infringe on free speech in the same way regularly and are used as a silencing tactic (which IMO is a worse infringement)... Just look at Melinda Tankard-Reist and her threatened defamation against a blogger who called her a baptist in an attempt to have her take down what she had written and apologies... Or the Australians threats of defamation against freelance journalist Margaret Simmons. In both cases defo law had been used in an attempt to silence critics. Not because they had a case to answer, but because most people don't have the cash to fight a lawsuit like Bolt did and (the theory goes) will simply write a retraction, regardless of whether in the right or wrong for fear of being bankrupted (didn't work in either of those cases, neither of which have gone to court, threats and no action so far)...
VictorTheViking
Ricky Stuart

Green eyed Mick wrote:
VictorTheViking wrote:Like I said gem, I could have worded it better.

IMO It would be racist if you believed he behaved like that because he is Indigenous. The fact is he behaves like that for a multitude of factors, none of them have anything to do with the colour of his skin.

To answer the second part of your post.

The governmet can't discriminate against the bloke that wants a hand-out in favour of the bloke that wants a hand-up. Government assistance is available to all individuals within the country and certain groups are for various reasons entitled to receive more or less than others. This is by no means a perfect system but is is based on the liklihood that certain groups face more hurdles than others. The extra entitlements and incentives are in place in an effort to bridge the gap in life outcomes for indigenous and non-indigenous Australians.

My personal opinion is our entire welfare system needs an overhaul to improve the allocation of funds for those that are genuinely looking for a hand-up rather than a hand-out.
It certainly does.

And yeah mate, your right, they can't discriminate, because unfortunately with the way society is today, every situation is going to be different.

It doesn't help that he flaunts it in your face every **** chance he gets though..... :nooo :doubt:
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

VictorTheViking wrote:I kind of pictured the guy my brother in laws sister is married too when I read that
Now I've drawn the family tree to figure this one out... it's you right? ;)
VictorTheViking
Ricky Stuart

Hmmmmm
pickles
Ruben Wiki

Racism in Australia

Post by pickles »

The problem with any system of support is that it will be exploited by a minority. From my perspective that doesn't necessarily make it a bad system. I know a centrelink worker who was involved in the intervention and they actually found it quite a positive experience as many of the families they met with were actually receiving less benefits than they were entitled to.

On the other topic freedom of speech is a right but like all rights needs to be exercised with some responsibility. I think Bolt crossed a line by fabricating his story through at the very least, extreme journalistic laziness. I don't think protection of that is warranted.
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Just with all the talk of closing the gap etc, the Aboriginal lady I work with her family really spikes the curve for life expectancy, her great aunt died yesterday at 94 and she commented she's had a few other relo's die in the 80s and 90s, exceptions to the rule but it was good to hear
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Just had an older Asian couple come into work, the guy introduced me to his wife as Justin's ( my co-workers) brother, I commented we're not related and in a serious tone he replied "sorry you all look the same" :lol:
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

manbush wrote:Just had an older Asian couple come into work, the guy introduced me to his wife as Justin's ( my co-workers) brother, I commented we're not related and in a serious tone he replied "sorry you all look the same" :lol:
Outstanding.

On a related note, we had a big student pub night in Maroochydore last night. A group of our from-a-location-not-to-be-disclosed Middle Eastern students were celebrating the end of their English studies (they go on now to different training), so it was a big night out.

A group of locals decided to go and give them a hard time. It was imaginative stuff, too "**** rag heads" "Pack of **** camel ****"...that sort of thing. One of the ME students told one of the Australians to **** off, so the Aussie took a swing, with his four mates all piling in on this one student.

It's a good time to point out that the further training that these guys go on to is related to their role as special forces soldiers. It's a really, really bad idea to take a swing at a special forces soldier. It's a really, really, really bad idea to do it when he's in a pub with ten of this colleagues.

Anyway, long story short - when the redneck locals were finally rescued (and arrested) by the police, only one of them was able to walk out unassisted.

Lesson: Just because people are smaller, darker and foreign doesn't mean that they aren't able to pop your eyeballs out using only a thumb.

Michael
Mal Meninga

Post by Michael »

Makes you proud to be Australian doesn't it?
pickles
Ruben Wiki

Racism in Australia

Post by pickles »

Good story TR, I'm sure those Aussies will think twice before shooting off their mouths again
Albi
David Furner

Racism in Australia

Post by Albi »

Great story, T_R... These southern cross tattoo types really give the entire country a bad rap, which for the most part is (fairly) tolerant.

dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

T_R wrote:
manbush wrote:Just had an older Asian couple come into work, the guy introduced me to his wife as Justin's ( my co-workers) brother, I commented we're not related and in a serious tone he replied "sorry you all look the same" :lol:
Outstanding.

On a related note, we had a big student pub night in Maroochydore last night. A group of our from-a-location-not-to-be-disclosed Middle Eastern students were celebrating the end of their English studies (they go on now to different training), so it was a big night out.

A group of locals decided to go and give them a hard time. It was imaginative stuff, too "**** rag heads" "Pack of **** camel ****"...that sort of thing. One of the ME students told one of the Australians to **** off, so the Aussie took a swing, with his four mates all piling in on this one student.

It's a good time to point out that the further training that these guys go on to is related to their role as special forces soldiers. It's a really, really bad idea to take a swing at a special forces soldier. It's a really, really, really bad idea to do it when he's in a pub with ten of this colleagues.

Anyway, long story short - when the redneck locals were finally rescued (and arrested) by the police, only one of them was able to walk out unassisted.

Lesson: Just because people are smaller, darker and foreign doesn't mean that they aren't able to pop your eyeballs out using only a thumb.

So stoked the Maroochydore yokels had their manners handed back to them. :D The culture around the coast is so beatnik its not funny.

Just out of curiosity, where your students Islamic or Jewish?

I've been told just how well trained Israeli youth are in the area of hand to hand combat.
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Begbie
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Smash Williams

Post by Begbie »

dubby wrote:
T_R wrote:
manbush wrote: Just out of curiosity, where your students Islamic or Jewish?
I'd suggest Islamic from the Rag-head and camel ****** comments.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

T_R wrote:
Outstanding.

Alright, I'm going to tell it.

I grew up in Leeton, a small town in south west NSW. Its a nice town, certainly nicer than its neighboring towns.

I also grew up poor. Basically, white trash. Housing Commission, rough area, and a great many of our neighbours were aboriginal and they were honestly fine. For the most part, good people we never had problem with.

About 4-5 doors down lived an aboriginal guy, Cecil.He had a woman about 20 years older than him (making her around 40) and she had kids to him and someone else. One day, my mate and I walked down from my home to my mates. We had to walk past Cecil and his posse; roughly 12 of them. Suddenly, Cecil comes after me, swearing black and blue I had been perving on his missus. He went nuts, swearing, calling me a white this and a white that and he was going to beat the crap out of my skinny white blah blah. He comes at us throwing punches, kicking the whole works and jerks. There was Cecil and his mates against 2 skinny 16 year old white boys that weighed about 66kg each. :lol:

But, like TR said..........a big loud, aggressive front and a bunch of mates with dutch courage is no match for training and discipline for two kids who had undertook self defence classes. (my mate even went on in about 5 years to fight at some world titles. To this day that man can fight, and fight well)

The only reason I bring this up is so we don't get on our high horse that the white man is the only one responsible for racist and ignorant behavior.

Now I am not suggesting for a second that its only other races that engage in this. I read some of these posts and it comes across as though we are all ashamed of our ancestry and heritage.

I'm sure some of you understand my point while some of you will want to insult me. Those that insult will have missed the point entirely
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Begbie wrote:
dubby wrote:
T_R wrote:
manbush wrote: Just out of curiosity, where your students Islamic or Jewish?
I'd suggest Islamic from the Rag-head and camel ****** comments.
Of course, I missed those comments. :opps

Michael
Mal Meninga

Post by Michael »

I'm not ashamed of my ancestry and heritage - but I'm not really proud of it either. It's not like I had anything to do with it, it's not a conscious choice, it just is what it is. You should be proud of the person you are, or the things you've achieved in life - not proud of something that occurred through sheer chance that had nothing to do with you.

Also, every time someone makes a post about racism there's always someone who makes a post saying that racism works both ways, presumably for the sake of 'balance'. Yeah, of course it works both ways, but anyone who thinks that white people don't live a charmed existence in comparison to every other race is having a laugh.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley

Toviii
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Rapana

Post by Toviii »

Apparently she was arrested at another train station today. Don't know the full details on that one...
'I've got 17 blokes in that dressing room that are hurting'
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley

Toviii wrote:Apparently she was arrested at another train station today. Don't know the full details on that one...
Arrested and released. Apparently she will face a $500 fine if convicted of offensive behaviour. Seems a reasonable punishment provided this video remains on youtube.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

That was.....stunning.

I mean....wow.

I'm the first to admit that I married an Asian person because of my alarmingly small *****, but I'm upset to see it broadcast to the world like that.