Moderator: GH Moderators

Professor
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Bae

Re: Racism in Australia

Post by Professor »

papabear wrote:
Begbie wrote:Disgraceful.

I too married an asian. The crap she cops at work is unbelievable.

Apparently she bumped into a co-worker who happened to speak the same native tongue as her in the lunch room, so they started having a conversation. Apparently some old bag walked in, interrupted their conversation and admonished them for not speaking in English. I was irate when I found out, however, was on strict instructions not become involved.

But the crap she cops from customers is the worst. Not so much the younger generation, which is good, but the attitude from older white women (mostly) and men. Its embarrassing. I've given up trying to defend us.
You needed to be put on instructions to not get involved in your wifes employment?
Guessing you don't have a significant other, Papa?

I think I know where Begbie's head was at at the time his wife was mistreated - my wife's been mistreated in the work place too, which also sent me into a rage and for which I also had to be instructed / implored to not become involved.

Funny thing about love, Papa - you don't always approach things with the clearest or smartess mind when you see your significant other mistreated and/ or hurt.
valiant_raider
David Furner

Post by valiant_raider »

papabear wrote:Just reading some Wilbur smith books.

Don't know if its based on fact, but certain countries would only buy slaves if they had been snipped so as not to "defile" their blood line. He could have just made that up because it is a fiction book, but yeah worth mentioning.
Reading about Taita, the greatest Eunuch who ever lived huh?
2005 Golden Boogs Newbie Award Winner
2006 Finites Caption Contest Winner
2006 Golden Boogs Most Improved Poster
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

those Egyptian books were great, river god I think it was and there might of been another one or two.

Its the Zimbabwe / ballantyne books that made the think of the chop chop.

Game of thrones also has the bald fella as well.
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

Raider 85 wrote:
papabear wrote:

Apparently she bumped into a co-worker who happened to speak the same native tongue as her in the lunch room, so they started having a conversation. Apparently some old bag walked in, interrupted their conversation and admonished them for not speaking in English. I was irate when I found out, however, was on strict instructions not become involved.

But the crap she cops from customers is the worst. Not so much the younger generation, which is good, but the attitude from older white women (mostly) and men. Its embarrassing. I've given up trying to defend us.
You needed to be put on instructions to not get involved in your wifes employment?

I think I know where Begbie's head was at at the time his wife was mistreated - my wife's been mistreated in the work place too, which also sent me into a rage and for which I also had to be instructed / implored to not become involved.

Funny thing about love, Papa - you don't always approach things with the clearest or smartess mind when you see your significant other mistreated and/ or hurt.
My personal status is irrelevant to the point that you shouldn't need to be implored not to become involved in something which will only hurt her career and then your own life.

Also, if your rage comes from a place that she can not fight her own battles but you can, then you are walking down a very dark path of mind imo.
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

back on taita, once I finish the courteneys I might go back there, if there are more, but I hate re reading books I have read only figuring it out half an hour into the book.
valiant_raider
David Furner

Post by valiant_raider »

papabear wrote:back on taita, once I finish the courteneys I might go back there, if there are more, but I hate re reading books I have read only figuring it out half an hour into the book.
I'm just over halfway through the fifth book in the series Desert God.
Manbush
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Luke Turner

Post by Manbush »

Pigman wrote:
Azza wrote:Makes me embarrassed to be Australian - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4vGYEihBZs
deport the ****
That honestly makes me sick. I would have stood, and applauded if that security guard took this little **** up on his offer and belted the **** out of him on the station
At least they're being charged over it
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
Begbie
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Smash Williams

Post by Begbie »

papabear wrote:
Raider 85 wrote:
papabear wrote:

My personal status is irrelevant to the point that you shouldn't need to be implored not to become involved in something which will only hurt her career and then your own life.

Also, if your rage comes from a place that she can not fight her own battles but you can, then you are walking down a very dark path of mind imo.
Mate, as a husband, when someone attacks your wife your do something to help her.

My wife is very timid and would be very embarrassed and clams up when some one verbally attacks her for no reason. She would never stand up for herself.

Thanks for the backup Raiders85.
Please
Gary Belcher
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by Please »

I hate everyone. Doesn't matter what race they are. Apart from the French, I hate those *****.
Well, at least Jack got paid.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

papabear wrote:
T_R wrote:Here's an alternative viewpoint.

At the moment, I'm trying to lease a 700m floor of a building in Kobe. We have identified three options, two of which are owned by major banks and another owned by an investment company. We're talking pretty serious international companies here.

We are looking to spend about $350,000 a year on rent. We are a well established company with some pretty respectable profit figures. We have about 5000m of space leased in cities around Australia and Korea.

The point of this is that we're pretty attractive clients by most standards.

These companies just do not want to deal with us. They are quite happy to come out and say it straight - we don't want foreigners in our building.

Australia has some nasty racists, but it has much, much less of the institutionalised racism you find in other places. From the receiving end, and at the end of an extremely frustrating day, I'm going to come home and scream at some poor Asian girl on a bus….it's payback time.
Everyone has a price TR.

It is about money always has been always will be, you just don't want price they have in mind for you because you believe it is unfair. You might be right.
Astoundingly, in the post immediately after you posted this gibberish, you chided me for missing an 's'. :lol:

If you're saying what I think you're saying, then not only are you functionally illiterate, you're wrong.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

For a businessman you are a far from a gentleman.

My point remains and any businessman worth his salt knows it.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

**** me, you're a twat. :lol: For some reason you decided to call me on a typo, but did so in semi-literate gibberish. You rightly found yourself mocked for it. Get over it.

Back on the 'substance' of your post, such as there was any. Are you saying that in this case it wasn't a question of who the owner accepted into the building, it was a question of how much we were willing to pay?

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

valiant_raider wrote:
papabear wrote:back on taita, once I finish the courteneys I might go back there, if there are more, but I hate re reading books I have read only figuring it out half an hour into the book.
I'm just over halfway through the fifth book in the series Desert God.
awesome, I shall get into it.
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

T_R wrote:**** me, you're a twat. :lol: For some reason you decided to call me on a typo, but did so in semi-literate gibberish. You rightly found yourself mocked for it. Get over it.

Back on the 'substance' of your post, such as there was any. Are you saying that in this case it wasn't a question of who the owner accepted into the building, it was a question of how much we were willing to pay?
In terms of the rent, everyone has a price. Don't underestimate commercial considerations, he may not like white people or think white people in his building cheapens the buildings image. Whatever his gripe is, he will have a price. In the end it does not sound like an insurmountable problem, the thing I would worry about in your shoes is whether that price is the right deal for your company in Kobe.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

You see, here's where you get annoying. You don't have even a fraction of the information that you need to make a statement like that.

For what it's worth, in the two instances I was discussing, the owner of the buildings were a major bank and a major finance company respectively. Rent was not even discussed. They simply were not prepared to have foreigners in the building. The property management division of the companies involved operates without commercial interests. The money is irrelevant.

So, you are completely wrong. The issue was simply that they liked their tenants nice and Japanese.

Professor
Steve Walters

Post by Professor »

"You see, here's where you get annoying" :lol: :lol: :lol:
valiant_raider
David Furner

Post by valiant_raider »

This thread reminds me of a quote by the great Nigel Powers

papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

T_R wrote:You see, here's where you get annoying. You don't have even a fraction of the information that you need to make a statement like that.

For what it's worth, in the two instances I was discussing, the owner of the buildings were a major bank and a major finance company respectively. Rent was not even discussed. They simply were not prepared to have foreigners in the building. The property management division of the companies involved operates without commercial interests. The money is irrelevant.

So, you are completely wrong. The issue was simply that they liked their tenants nice and Japanese.
The owners only want Japanese people in the building? or the leasing agent? Also is the major bank and / or finance company a publicly listed company?

T_R let me worry about the information I need before posting opinions on situations anonymously over the internet :).
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Sorry, I assumed that you'd prefer not to look like a complete idiot. Reading back over your posts, I can see that I was mistaken.

Yes, the owners only want Japanese companies leasing from them. The 'leasing agent' is a property management division of the parent company that owns the building, as is normally the case in Japan. In more than one case, by the way, we were also told that we would be required to sign an agreement that we would not allow Indian or Chinese students into the building. That's Japan.

The bank is one of the largest in the world, and is publically listed. The finance company, I have just googled to discover, is traded on both the New York and Tokyo stock exchanges.

You'll be relieved to know, by the way, that the good folk of Mitsubishi UFJ Bank have agreed to lease us the 9th floor of their landmark Mitsubishi UFJ Shintaku Ginko building in Kobe, and we move in next month.

Riaan
John Ferguson

Post by Riaan »

T_R wrote:Sorry, I assumed that you'd prefer not to look like a complete idiot. Reading back over your posts, I can see that I was mistaken.

Yes, the owners only want Japanese companies leasing from them. The 'leasing agent' is a property management division of the parent company that owns the building, as is normally the case in Japan. In more than one case, by the way, we were also told that we would be required to sign an agreement that we would not allow Indian or Chinese students into the building. That's Japan.

The bank is one of the largest in the world, and is publically listed. The finance company, I have just googled to discover, is traded on both the New York and Tokyo stock exchanges.

You'll be relieved to know, by the way, that the good folk of Mitsubishi UFJ Bank have agreed to lease us the 9th floor of their landmark Mitsubishi UFJ Shintaku Ginko building in Kobe, and we move in next month.
If it means that you stop carrying on about how successful a businessman you are then I'm glad for you.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

:lol: Thanks for your input, Riaan, always great to meet a fan.

papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

If its public listed, take over the company. Then you can rent the space to your education company or to whomever.

There is always a price.........

I am happy to hear that it all worked out for you, despite your derogatory comments, you appeared to have tried really hard to get some space in Kobe and I am glad you got what you set out for.
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by reptar »

I assume foreign ownership laws would kinda prevent that.
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

papabear wrote:If its public listed, take over the company. Then you can rent the space to your education company or to whomever.

I am happy to hear that it all worked out for you, despite your derogatory comments, you appeared to have tried really hard to get some space in Kobe and I am glad you got what you set out for.
With paid up capital in the tens of billions, it might be cheaper just to buy....Kobe.

Raider Bell
Gary Belcher
Favourite Player: Billyt

Post by Raider Bell »

T_R wrote:
papabear wrote:If its public listed, take over the company. Then you can rent the space to your education company or to whomever.

With paid up capital in the tens of billions, it might be cheaper just to buy....Kobe.
Was that an evil laugh you did immediately after you said that?
"A hex on your house, and more importantly your health"
"I truly hope the spirit of my mate gives you hell, you deserve it"
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Nope, a pathetic whine.

Professor
Steve Walters

Post by Professor »