Racism in Australia

Discuss all the events of the day

Moderator: GH Moderators

gerg
Laurie Daley

Racism in Australia

Post by gerg »

Daily Telegraph inciting the great unwashed yet again.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/d ... 6247812407
Shoving it in your face since 2017
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Re: Racism in Australia

Post by dubby »

This is a delicate and very sensitive issue.

Racism works both ways; as Dr Teo has pointed out.

It can stem from a multitude of reasons and factors and it happens all over the world, not just Australia.
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Agreed Dubby. However pointing the finger at how other countries are more racist is not the right attitude. Our attitude should simply be 'we could do better' than other countries and how we are currently handling it.

Must admit - it isn't a major issue for my wife in Canberra as the Canberra population is fairly well educated and seems to have a fairly successful model for multiculturalism compared to places like Sydney.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Gerg, I am resigned to the fact that we will never be rid of racism.

Some people just plain hate other races or even people who are just mildly different. I know blokes who hate races, who hate special needs peope, who hate their dads/mums/family.......

Even in the GH you find forms of racism despite the poster trying not to. Reading some comments about Israel is just terrible.
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
pickles
Ruben Wiki

Racism in Australia

Post by pickles »

Unfortunately Australia Day seems to have turned into an outlet for nationalism rather than a celebration of the diversity that makes it such a fantastic place to live.

Racism is a complex issue. It seems to be hard wired into the human brain to not trust difference. This can be overcome by education and experience but not eliminated completely.

There are also studies that it is often other migrant groups who have been in Australia longer who are most racist towards new arrivals.

That is no excuse though. We as a country an a society need to want to do this better and we definitely can.
Manbush
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Luke Turner

Post by Manbush »

Racism will always exist through ignorance, personal experiences and the belief that some are treated differently, and racism is in the eye of the beholder, what 1 finds racist another won't
dubby wrote: Even in the GH you find forms of racism despite the poster trying not to. Reading some comments about Israel is just terrible.
Like what mate, I've read a lot of that arguement and can't say I've seen any racist remarks, just disagreement with how they handle the situation there.
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Whats the term for just hating teenagers?
This place is woke.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Question wrote:Whats the term for just hating teenagers?

FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Being human
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

so ageist?
This place is woke.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Actually I think its maturity.

Teenagers need less entertainment and more accountability/responsibility.

Albi! Thoughts?

T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

**** off, we're full

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

dubby wrote:

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Begbie
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Smash Williams

Post by Begbie »

Hey TR, was looking for your a few intellgingent remarks, even a few tips about being asian in australia - as I have finally got a spouse visa for my family. So was extremely dissapointed with your comments. ;)-i-<
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Begbie, my house is a hotbed of racism. I have made it very clear to my wife that Australia should reduce its immigrant numbers.....by one.

-TW-
Mal Meninga

Racism in Australia

Post by -TW- »

I see we're not far off "Bogan" day again...

I had a friend who's Asian get told to **** off back to where they came from... In tuggeranong admittedly but still...
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Best you hide in the corner then and continue inciting violence than celebrating the day with Australians of all differing nationalities.
This place is woke.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Ah, you see. I'm happy to be the heckler in the corner till someone like Question feels the urge to step in. Now I have to be a bit more serious.

Q, until you've stood at an Australia day function with you wife and kid and had a series of drunken yobos loom over you and scream racist abuse, telling them to **** off home (wife has lived in Australia for 10 years, speaks fluent English, has Masters degree from Australian university etc, kids born here), you really don't get what Australia day is increasingly becoming about.

These are not isolated incidents. We spend Australia day at home in the pool. Is that 'hiding in the corner' to you, Q?

I wonder how I'll deal with it once the kids are old enough to want to go out with friends for the day. Do I send them out for the day to find out just how other of their fellow citizens perceive them?

Celebrating with Australians of all differing nationalities? It's just not the case.

dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

TR, not all Aussies are pure bred bogans.

Just the young blokes full of booze and that mob from Rotary or wherever you gave your speech

T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Of course not Dubs. This is a seriously good country to live in. I would say that people are genuinely welcoming almost all of the time - my kids are completely ignorant of any issue relating to race, and that's a pretty good thing.

Two days of the year that all seems to change - Australia Day (and that's a recent development) and ANZAC Day (though that seems to be less and less of an issue, interestingly). I would not let Y and the kids out on their own on either of those days, though.

Rotary was not an issue - it was a room full of pathetic old men who were well past their use by date. it was funny more than anything else. The Australia Day thing worries me much more.

Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

**** you blokes must live in bum****ville.
This place is woke.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Actually, the worst incident ever was in the Botanic Gardens in Sydney.

dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Question wrote:**** you blokes must live in bum****ville.
That is probably how most Sunny Coasters see Nambour TBH :lol:

TR, the main issue we face on Australia Day is booze. Too many people get blotto, become self righteous about their skin colour and start in on people with a different skin colour. While I am no socialogist I think some white (I hated using that noun) people feel threatened or indignant about minority groups and make assumptions about them. Couple that with booze and you end up with riots at Cronulla or fights at the beach....

ANZAC Day is sacriligeous in our nation. I don't think its the diggers who start problems, but most likely some idiot who had a relative that fought the Japanese or went to Vietnam and now hates all foreigners because of that. (I'm being glib here) :(

T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Actually Dubs, I think the answer is the same in both cases....booze.

But that doesn't make much difference to those on the receiving end - being racially abused, and I really mean abused, is still a horrible experience no matter how much beer the person may have knocked back. I've been on the other side of it in Japan, and am big enough and ugly enough to stand over someone and watch them fall apart in a big hurry (even better when I was out with the forwards from my rugby team...you've never seen so much apologetic bowing from the seriously chastened drunk salaryman :lol: :lol: ). But when it's my wife, who's never weighed more than 55kg in her life, surrounded by a group of shouting Australian men...well, knowing that they are drunk is not really much of a relief. Our resident wanker, Question, might then consider it unAustralian to go 'hiding in a corner' on Australia Day. I wonder what he'd do, if the roles were reversed? And I wonder if he'd have the balls (or even inclination) to intervene when he saw it happening?

It happens to our students all the time, by the way. Thinking through incidents just at the Sunshine Coast in the last few years, I've had people throw things at Korean girls from cars, I've had a sexual assault on a Korean girl (by a high school student!), I've had a Saudi boy bashed (a couple of different incidents...one of which made for an interesting headline in the Sunshine Coast Daily "Saudi Prince attacked in Mooloolaba Nightclub"), I've had Japanese students spat on (mistake - they had a couple of large Colombian friends with them who were not exactly shy or retiring). All of these were accompanied by racial abuse. I'd say we get 5 or 6 serious-ish incidents per year. Not bad, considering the numbers of students we have around the place, but still disturbing.

There's a lot of other types of racism in Australia. I remember being in Japan, and despite being on a 5 times the salary of any local person I knew (ah, the joys of being an ex-pat), still could not get an apartment - no foreigners was the rule. Eventually, my father in law, a very prominent lawyer, was forced to go guarantor for me. (And despite his rather foreign son in law, wouldn't not have foreigners in HIS apartments, either!). I remember thinking at the time that I was glad that it didn't happen like that in Australia...then a couple of months later I got a call from the agent managing some property I have in Swinger Hill. She has an application for a lease, from a doctor working at whatever Woden Valley Hospital is called these days, 'but he's Vietnamese, so I said no'. That agent no longer manages my properties. Imagine that, Dubs...being one of the most highly respected professionals around, being on a huge salary...and some 20 year old real estate agent rejects your application for a townhouse because your parents were born in Vietnam. And that's in enlightened Canberra.

Anyway, no point to all of that. Just rambling.

T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

dubby wrote:
Question wrote:**** you blokes must live in bum****ville.
That is probably how most Sunny Coasters see Nambour TBH :lol:
By coincidence, the Japanese Lesbian Separatist Husband Disparagement Society Of Noosa and Maroochydore Reeducation Through Labour Saturday Work Camp Annual Nambour Pool Party was held yesterday in Nambour. They had a lovely time.

Manbush
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Luke Turner

Post by Manbush »

Ramblings what you do best old man.

I can't understand what Australia day is becoming, since when is it patriotic to get blind drunk wearing the flag as a cape and roll around in it, once upon a time that wouldve been sacrilege, the ones pretending to be most patriotic (flag wearers, southern cross tatoos) are the ones we could do without, ship them off and keep the friendly immigrants.

That kind of superiority patriotism reminds me too much of the Yanks and Qlders, "we're superior simply due to where we were born". To that I say get ****!
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

The only Racist here is that Tim bloke imo.
This place is woke.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

manbush wrote:Ramblings what you do best old man.

I can't understand what Australia day is becoming, since when is it patriotic to get blind drunk wearing the flag as a cape and roll around in it, once upon a time that wouldve been sacrilege, the ones pretending to be most patriotic (flag wearers, southern cross tatoos) are the ones we could do without, ship them off and keep the friendly immigrants.

That kind of superiority patriotism reminds me too much of the Yanks and Qlders, "we're superior simply due to where we were born". To that I say get ****!
TR is the same age as you dude. And me :lol:

I agree though.

Aust Day has become Drunken Bogan Day. Through media and social networking we have seen the commercialisation of national pride and the gravitation towards US-style selling out of our culture through over indulgance of drink and food.

Sad really.

Hell, this nation is rapidly merging into two distinct groups; The drunken substance abusing lost souls and the knowledgable left wing politically correct enlightened society.

Just driving around the Sunny Coast (mainly Nambour, Maroochydore and Mooloolaba) I am convinced whoever sells black t-shirts and has a tattoo parlor must be making a fortune.

then there is the other side who live in Buderim, Maleny or North Shore who don't hold to absolutes and have removed black and white from life. Thanks to them we have a huge gray area where you have no right or wrong and only what feels right. For all their knowledge they lack wisdom and reality.

I had a fiery debate with a lady the other day over youth entertainment. It is my view the youth have enough to keep them entertained but it is never really enough to them. What they need is direction, purpose and to serve in something greater than them (not necessarily religion either).
She went totally nuts and accused me of being a military minded chauvinst masochist stuck in 1950s style thinking. In her mind if we don't entertain the youth they will continue in their destructive behaviour as they need an outlet for their lives.
I rhetorted that her philanthropist mindset was thwarted because the entertainment value often has a cost on the rest of society that is intent on bettering itself. That growing up is difficult, but it doesn't excuse us from personal responisbility.

My God, today is rambling and social commentary day.

Sorry, :arrow:

pickles
Ruben Wiki

Racism in Australia

Post by pickles »

I was in Manly a couple of years back on Australia day and there was an angry mob of drunken teenagers marching through the streets and generally being abusive and disruptive to everyone, including the police who were trying to move them on. How they thought this was celebrating being Australian I have no idea.

This does seem to be a relatively new phenomenon as well. I would guess the last 5 or so years but I could be wrong. I'm not saying racism is new, it has been around forever but nationalism has never been an especially Australian trait. Especially nationalism that excludes people who aren't white.

I have found the discussion in this thread quite thought provoking but it does make me wonder what has changed and why? Or whether this has always been the case and I have been oblivious?

TR I am especially upset by the abuse your wife has experienced. To me that is the opposite of what being Australian is about and if I were you I would be at home by the pool too.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Some very interesting comments and ramblings too.

The comments on the article I linked were just the usual drivel. The usual comments

Stop the bloody boats
These immigrants are getting a free ride from the government
Why can't they adapt to our way of life
Why can't they speak english
If they don't like it go home.

Its all crap from uneducated, ignorant people.

More immigrants arrive by plane than boat. We were all immigrants at one stage.
Immigrants are given government benefits until they have settled in. If we don't support them they will turn to crime. Most immigrants are harder working than some Australians.
Most do adapt to our way of life doesn't mean they cannot continue with their own culture as well - well what does it actually mean to be Australian?
How many Australians speak the local language when travelling or living overseas. We went out for dinner with a Korean couple after christmas - they were having a chat in Korean and some oaf walked past saying 'blah blah this is Australia speak english' - if I was in Korea and had some Aussie mates over would we sit there and try to have a conversation with our limited Korean language or would we sit there comfortably speaking english.... the oaf looked like a bikie - but this wasn't what stopped me from saying something harsh which would have escalated to violence - the dude had one arm... how lame would I have been to give a one armed wanker a pasting... What annoyed me the most was that this brainless oaf doesn't realise or care that Australian soldiers fought alongside Koreans.
They are home, they have come here for a better life and they love it here.

I had a fantastic noodle dish for lunch today. Tonight I'm making pasta and probably watch a movie or a bit of tennis on my cheap Asian produced tv. In a few weeks I'll be recommencing Tai Chi and Brazilian Jiu jutsu...
Green Jamey
Dean Lance

Post by Green Jamey »

Gerg,

boats are not always full of legitimate refugees. Often, they are line cutters which is not fair on those entering the nation legally.

immigrant receive more funding than pensioners and war veterans.

Some DONT adapt to our way of life which is frustrating. Why move to a new land if not to embrace or be a part of it?

They have to learn some english now which is a relief. It helps the transition for all involved and removes hositilites.

I agree, if they don't like it they can go home. Very vague comment though.

I am not racist, but the frustrations from the unedcuated and ignorant people you refer to stem from a personal experience in that persons life which has formed their opinion.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

The Phantom wrote:Gerg,

boats are not always full of legitimate refugees. Often, they are line cutters which is not fair on those entering the nation legally. More illegal immigrants arrive by plane than by boat yet 'boat people' and no I'm not talking about the first fleet are the scapegoats because its easier - do you ever ask yourself why these people are coming here - maybe we are bombing the crap out of their country - I agree with your comment that it isn't fair that people are missing out because of attitudes towards illegal asylum seekers but what is the solution - the media needs to begin reporting these issues more responsibly IMO for a start

immigrant receive more funding than pensioners and war veterans. you got a source? - I'd also like to see comparisons of the long term unemployed compared to newly arrived immigrants and how long they actually stay on welfare... war veterans, if you are correct I think that is wrong

Some DONT adapt to our way of life which is frustrating. Why move to a new land if not to embrace or be a part of it? you don't also move to another country and be told or expected to forget the culture you came from - I read a story a few years back about a woman who was being persecuted under sharia law and then when she came out here she was campaigning for sharia law out here - that is wrong - but she is a minority yet people remember that stuff and tar all immigrants with that same brush.

They have to learn some english now which is a relief. It helps the transition for all involved and removes hositilites. while not making excuses have you ever tried to explain the english language to somebody from a NESB? its a tough language and takes time, the majority of the koreans I've met give it a red hot go but they should not be abused for speaking their native tongue if they want.

I agree, if they don't like it they can go home. Very vague comment though. err I wasn't agreeing with that comment - like I said they are home, this is their new home.

I am not racist, but the frustrations from the unedcuated and ignorant people you refer to stem from a personal experience in that persons life which has formed their opinion. as others have pointed out though, unfortunately these same racist yobbos don't only target immigrants, some Australians are embracing this mob mentality and its pretty disgusting when you see it first hand
Albi
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Racism in Australia

Post by Albi »

The Phantom wrote:Gerg,

boats are not always full of legitimate refugees. Often, they are line cutters which is not fair on those entering the nation legally.

immigrant receive more funding than pensioners and war veterans.

Some DONT adapt to our way of life which is frustrating. Why move to a new land if not to embrace or be a part of it?

They have to learn some english now which is a relief. It helps the transition for all involved and removes hositilites.

I agree, if they don't like it they can go home. Very vague comment though.

I am not racist, but the frustrations from the unedcuated and ignorant people you refer to stem from a personal experience in that persons life which has formed their opinion.
I call Bull on your entire post.. Firstly about 95% of people who arrive here by boat are eventually ruled to be genuine refugees.. Secondly, the term 'queue jumper' is a derogatory term fashioned by right-wing politicians and talk back radio hosts as a means to demonising a large group.. Do some research my spandex clad friend then tell me exactly where these alleged 'queues' are that they're supposed to be jumping.
Thirdly, your hilarious 'they don't adapt to our way of life' garbage had me spewing chardonnay out my nose.. Which way of life? Are you telling me Australia possesses a homogenized 'way of life'..really?

Perhaps it's the jingoistic wrap one's self the flag whilst getting pissed as similarly demanding that the '**** piss off home'? Or is it the 'Aussie battler' with 4 kids, large mortgage, go to the kids footy games on weekend type? Maybe it's the uppity corporate high flyers living in apartments overlooking sydney harbour?.. Or like me maybe.. 41 year old educated left-wing smart **** immigrant with low tolerance for willful stupidity?

Get the picture? There is no universal definition of 'an Aussie'.

The Howard years have much to answer for IMO. The little digger sought to gain a political advantage by attempting to define what it means to be an Aussie in exceptionally narrow terms.. He was trying to gain ownership, however created an 'us and them' mentality.. Demonization of minority groups or 'the other' is a tried and true political strategy to galvanize support.. Howard mastered it.

Having said that, I think our society is generally tolerant. However, I whole heartedly agree with Gerg's sentiment up thread, that the litmus test for tolerance should never by that we're less bad than others.
Canberra Raiders Bronze Member

Banner courtesy of the very talented, fistinz.
Sterlk
David Furner

Post by Sterlk »

Ah yes, Australia day, when the bogans are in full swing.

An embarrassing reminder that I am related to a bogan. My brother has the cringeworthy online alias 'ausi pride' or some such nonsense, and got an old bomb of a ute not for practicality, but as a fashion statement... and believe me, there were many, many better, newer, cheaper vehicles with less kilometres available that weren't utes. There's more, but I don't think I need to go on; you could fill in the blanks yourself with reasonable accuracy.

Anybody else care to name and shame the bogans they're bound to by blood?
Begbie
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Smash Williams

Post by Begbie »

:lol:

Does it have a Conargo Pub sticker on it - and a two metre high aerial?

This wouldn't happen to be your brothers ute would it?