The Religion Thread

Discuss all the events of the day

Moderator: GH Moderators

User avatar
Schifty
Laurie Daley
Posts: 16308
Joined: March 14, 2010, 4:00 pm
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Re: The Religion Thread

Post by Schifty » May 9, 2018, 5:00 pm

All starting to make sense.

His plan was meant to take months.

But he didn't bank on Folau being a complete **** which just fast tracked our forum activity and he is now reeling and trying to literally bury evidence under a concrete slab.

User avatar
The Rickman
Mal Meninga
Posts: 43041
Joined: June 25, 2012, 9:53 am
Favourite Player: Hodgo
Location: Rockhampton, Central Queensland

Re: The Religion Thread

Post by The Rickman » May 9, 2018, 5:18 pm

dubby wrote:
May 9, 2018, 4:16 pm
Trying to reason with you online in this argument would be a great example of inflicting pain on myself.

There are times when you're better off trying to discuss things in person. This is one of those times.
Ok, well how about you just explain to me how you believe without fault the parts of the Bible that support your descriminatory views against homosexual people, yet you dismiss the examples I listed as "cherry picking" and basically consigned them to the crazy parts of the good book that no-one should pay attention to?

I just don't see how you can have it both ways. If the Bible is meant to not be taken literally because there's a whole bunch of crazy junk that doesn't apply to modern times, then how can you use it to justify discrimination against people based on something they have no control over??

Surely you're smart enough to know what I'm saying, dubby?
Image
2012 Golden Boogs Newbie of the Year
2013 'Nella Awards Best Punter
2013 Boogs Thread of the Year ~ The Betting Thread
2014 Boogs Matthew Elliott Award Winner
2014 Boogs some award with Hanbush

User avatar
reptar
Laurie Daley
Posts: 14270
Joined: January 25, 2005, 9:24 pm
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson
Location: Brisbane

Re: The Religion Thread

Post by reptar » May 9, 2018, 6:18 pm

Sossman wrote:
dubby wrote:Do you not know that wrongdoers will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived! Fornicators, idolaters, adulterers, male prostitutes, sodomites, thieves, the greedy, drunkards, revilers, robbers—none of these will inherit the kingdom of God.
He can keep it.

I'm going to make my own kingdom with Blackjack and Hookers.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
And lunar landers?
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.

raiderskater
David Furner
Posts: 3101
Joined: July 26, 2015, 8:24 pm
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer
Location: The Land of Lime Green

Re: The Religion Thread

Post by raiderskater » May 9, 2018, 7:04 pm

The Nickman wrote:
May 9, 2018, 12:32 pm
Timothy 2:11 reads:
"I permit no woman to teach or have authority over men; she is to keep silent."

Keen to know your thoughts on this one, dubs. Seeing as you believe people who engage in homosexual sex are going to hell, what are your thoughts on women teachers, police officers or politicians? I reckon you'd be dead against them!
*raiderskater responds to this Timothy jerkass by shouting profanities at him*

Frankly, I think the world would be a better place without all organised religion.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)

User avatar
Schifty
Laurie Daley
Posts: 16308
Joined: March 14, 2010, 4:00 pm
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Re: The Religion Thread

Post by Schifty » May 9, 2018, 7:20 pm

BTW $243 Million for chaplains in public schools is a disgrace.

Hopefully ACT continues their previous policy of not accepting the cash so the program doesn't get funded.

User avatar
dubby
Don Furner
Posts: 30397
Joined: May 16, 2006, 12:14 pm
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga
Location: Western Sydney

Re: The Religion Thread

Post by dubby » May 9, 2018, 7:44 pm

There are parts of the bible you cannot take literally. Some parts are poetry, others hyperbole.

Look, let me give you an example of where you went wrong:
Image

User avatar
dubby
Don Furner
Posts: 30397
Joined: May 16, 2006, 12:14 pm
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga
Location: Western Sydney

Re: The Religion Thread

Post by dubby » May 9, 2018, 7:50 pm

The Nickman wrote:
May 9, 2018, 12:34 pm
Mark 12:19 reads:
"Master, Moses wrote unto us, If a man's brother die, and leave his wife behind him, and leave no children, that his brother should take his wife, and raise up seed unto his brother."

So what do you say, dubs? If you pass away, you're more than fine with your brother "taking" your wife? It's God's word after all!
Here.

You grab a scripture where I think it was a bunch of Sadduccees try and trick Jesus by grabbing a teaching Moses handed down.

The Law concerning the Levirate marriage is found in Deuteronomy 25:5. It was ordained for the preservation of families, that if a man died without male issue, his brother should marry his widow, and that the firstborn son should be held in the registers to be the son of the dead brother.

But, you don't include the whole story!
Now there were seven brothers. The first took a wife; and dying, he left no offspring. 21 And the second took her, and he died; nor did he leave any offspring. And the third likewise. 22 So the seven had her and left no offspring. Last of all the woman died also. 23 Therefore, in the resurrection, when they rise, whose wife will she be? For all seven had her as wife.”

24 Jesus answered and said to them, “Are you not therefore mistaken, because you do not know the Scriptures nor the power of God? 25 For when they rise from the dead, they neither marry nor are given in marriage, but are like angels in heaven.

Dude. ... This random thing you quoted is just....random.

Some old Levite teaching to preserve a families genealogy and future. Weird!!
Image

User avatar
The Rickman
Mal Meninga
Posts: 43041
Joined: June 25, 2012, 9:53 am
Favourite Player: Hodgo
Location: Rockhampton, Central Queensland

Re: The Religion Thread

Post by The Rickman » May 9, 2018, 8:27 pm

dubby wrote:There are parts of the bible you cannot take literally. Some parts are poetry, others hyperbole.

Look, let me give you an example of where you went wrong:
So who decides which parts you can take literally which parts you can’t? YOU, based on your own disgusting discriminatory beliefs??

I dunno man, that sounds like a massive cop out to me.

If god is all-loving, I’m pretty sure the part where he sends people who HE MADE GAY to hell are the parts which you don’t need to be taken literally
Image
2012 Golden Boogs Newbie of the Year
2013 'Nella Awards Best Punter
2013 Boogs Thread of the Year ~ The Betting Thread
2014 Boogs Matthew Elliott Award Winner
2014 Boogs some award with Hanbush

User avatar
The Rickman
Mal Meninga
Posts: 43041
Joined: June 25, 2012, 9:53 am
Favourite Player: Hodgo
Location: Rockhampton, Central Queensland

Re: The Religion Thread

Post by The Rickman » May 9, 2018, 8:28 pm

Or are you going to try and tell us that being gay is a choice, dubby?
Image
2012 Golden Boogs Newbie of the Year
2013 'Nella Awards Best Punter
2013 Boogs Thread of the Year ~ The Betting Thread
2014 Boogs Matthew Elliott Award Winner
2014 Boogs some award with Hanbush

raiderskater
David Furner
Posts: 3101
Joined: July 26, 2015, 8:24 pm
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer
Location: The Land of Lime Green

Re: The Religion Thread

Post by raiderskater » May 9, 2018, 8:40 pm

Schifty wrote:
May 9, 2018, 7:20 pm
BTW $243 Million for chaplains in public schools is a disgrace.

Hopefully ACT continues their previous policy of not accepting the cash so the program doesn't get funded.
Agreed. Religion has no place whatsoever being anywhere near a school. Of any kind.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)

User avatar
T_R
Don Furner
Posts: 15736
Joined: August 4, 2006, 9:41 am
Location: Noosa

Re: The Religion Thread

Post by T_R » May 9, 2018, 8:47 pm

Schifty wrote:Clearly TR is the destroyer of forums.
You should see me coach halfbacks

Sent from my SM-G955F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Image

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.

User avatar
Schifty
Laurie Daley
Posts: 16308
Joined: March 14, 2010, 4:00 pm
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Re: The Religion Thread

Post by Schifty » May 9, 2018, 8:49 pm

T_R wrote:
May 9, 2018, 8:47 pm
Schifty wrote:Clearly TR is the destroyer of forums.
You should see me coach halfbacks

Sent from my SM-G955F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Please tell me you have nothing to do with coaching junior rugby sides..

They deserve hope.

User avatar
dubby
Don Furner
Posts: 30397
Joined: May 16, 2006, 12:14 pm
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga
Location: Western Sydney

Re: The Religion Thread

Post by dubby » May 9, 2018, 8:52 pm

The Nickman wrote:
May 9, 2018, 8:27 pm
dubby wrote:There are parts of the bible you cannot take literally. Some parts are poetry, others hyperbole.

Look, let me give you an example of where you went wrong:
So who decides which parts you can take literally which parts you can’t? YOU, based on your own disgusting discriminatory beliefs??

I dunno man, that sounds like a massive cop out to me.

If god is all-loving, I’m pretty sure the part where he sends people who HE MADE GAY to hell are the parts which you don’t need to be taken literally
When Jesus said that you should cut off your hand or pluck out your eye if they cause you to sin, I'm sure that's an exaggeration.

And Nick? I'm getting very sick of you saying my beliefs are disgusting.
If you want to continue trying to have a adult conversation, fine. If you want to insert insults into it, I'm not partaking any further.
Image

User avatar
The Rickman
Mal Meninga
Posts: 43041
Joined: June 25, 2012, 9:53 am
Favourite Player: Hodgo
Location: Rockhampton, Central Queensland

Re: The Religion Thread

Post by The Rickman » May 9, 2018, 8:53 pm

raiderskater wrote:
Schifty wrote:
May 9, 2018, 7:20 pm
BTW $243 Million for chaplains in public schools is a disgrace.

Hopefully ACT continues their previous policy of not accepting the cash so the program doesn't get funded.
Agreed. Religion has no place whatsoever being anywhere near a school. Of any kind.
It also has no place whatsoever being anywhere near the 21st Century, as evidenced by dubby and his views
Image
2012 Golden Boogs Newbie of the Year
2013 'Nella Awards Best Punter
2013 Boogs Thread of the Year ~ The Betting Thread
2014 Boogs Matthew Elliott Award Winner
2014 Boogs some award with Hanbush

User avatar
dubby
Don Furner
Posts: 30397
Joined: May 16, 2006, 12:14 pm
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga
Location: Western Sydney

Re: The Religion Thread

Post by dubby » May 9, 2018, 8:58 pm

I'm getting Jack of that Nick. Very bloody sick of it

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Image

User avatar
Manbush
Mal Meninga
Posts: 24599
Joined: March 14, 2008, 6:55 pm
Favourite Player: Luke Turner

Re: The Religion Thread

Post by Manbush » May 9, 2018, 9:01 pm

Schifty wrote:
May 9, 2018, 7:20 pm
BTW $243 Million for chaplains in public schools is a disgrace.

Hopefully ACT continues their previous policy of not accepting the cash so the program doesn't get funded.
Yep I saw the teachers union is fighting it at least.

Being a secular country how about we drop chaplains and have actual counselors doing the job, or at the very least give the schools the option rather than being forced to fill up the religious pockets even more.
"My own opinion is enough for me and I claim the right to have it defended against any consensus, any majority, anywhere, any place, any time, and anyone who disagrees with this can pick a number, get in line and kiss my ass" Christopher Hitchens

User avatar
greeneyed
Don Furner
Posts: 126107
Joined: January 7, 2005, 4:21 pm

The Religion Thread

Post by greeneyed » May 9, 2018, 9:04 pm

dubby wrote:There are parts of the bible you cannot take literally. Some parts are poetry, others hyperbole.

Look, let me give you an example of where you went wrong:

This is very honest question dubby... if you can ignore certain parts of the bible, because they are horrible and unacceptable in the 21st century... isn’t it the same in relation to gay people? You aren’t campaigning against adulterers or people who eat crayfish or whatever you’re not supposed to eat. Shouldn’t you also reject the horrible parts of the bible, the frankly silly parts of the bible, that relate to gay people? Simply because the bible was written during times of horrible prejudice, thousands of years ago?


Sent from my iPad using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Image

User avatar
reptar
Laurie Daley
Posts: 14270
Joined: January 25, 2005, 9:24 pm
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson
Location: Brisbane

Re: The Religion Thread

Post by reptar » May 9, 2018, 9:06 pm

Can't argue with Super Nintendo ChalmersImage
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.

User avatar
The Rickman
Mal Meninga
Posts: 43041
Joined: June 25, 2012, 9:53 am
Favourite Player: Hodgo
Location: Rockhampton, Central Queensland

Re: The Religion Thread

Post by The Rickman » May 9, 2018, 9:07 pm

dubby wrote:I'm getting Jack of that Nick. Very bloody sick of it

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Well I’m getting genuinely sick of you sitting on your high horse telling us all that friends of mine are going to hell simply because of the way they were born, and something they have no control over, because you’ve cherry picked a few passages from a book while ignoring the countless bat **** crazy Bull that litters the pages

It strikes me at a personal level and I’m not joking when I say I’m genuinely offended by you constantly sprouting hateful and insulting garbage about close friends of mine and hiding behind your **** outdated kiddy-fiddling religion while you do it

So don’t cry to me about being “jack of it”, pal. Pull your head in and move into the 21st century
Image
2012 Golden Boogs Newbie of the Year
2013 'Nella Awards Best Punter
2013 Boogs Thread of the Year ~ The Betting Thread
2014 Boogs Matthew Elliott Award Winner
2014 Boogs some award with Hanbush

User avatar
The Rickman
Mal Meninga
Posts: 43041
Joined: June 25, 2012, 9:53 am
Favourite Player: Hodgo
Location: Rockhampton, Central Queensland

Re: The Religion Thread

Post by The Rickman » May 9, 2018, 9:09 pm

greeneyed wrote:
dubby wrote:There are parts of the bible you cannot take literally. Some parts are poetry, others hyperbole.

Look, let me give you an example of where you went wrong:

This is very honest question dubby... if you can ignore certain parts of the bible, because they are horrible and unacceptable in the 21st century... isn’t it the same in relation to gay people? You aren’t campaigning against adulterers or people who eat crayfish or whatever you’re not supposed to eat. Shouldn’t you also reject the horrible parts of the bible, the frankly silly parts of the bible, that relate to gay people? Simply because the bible was written during times of horrible prejudice, thousands of years ago?


Sent from my iPad using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
It absolutely is. Dubby just picks and chooses the bits of the bible that support his deeply offensive views while saying “oh, don’t worry about that” to the rest of the horrible, crazy stuff

And he’s just failing to admit it, and it’s infuriating that he either can’t see this, or blatantly chooses to ignore it

You talk about your cognitive dissonance, I’ve never seen more evidence of it
Image
2012 Golden Boogs Newbie of the Year
2013 'Nella Awards Best Punter
2013 Boogs Thread of the Year ~ The Betting Thread
2014 Boogs Matthew Elliott Award Winner
2014 Boogs some award with Hanbush

User avatar
reptar
Laurie Daley
Posts: 14270
Joined: January 25, 2005, 9:24 pm
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson
Location: Brisbane

Re: The Religion Thread

Post by reptar » May 9, 2018, 9:10 pm

Nickman, where did you learn big words like cognitive dissonance from?
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.

User avatar
Manbush
Mal Meninga
Posts: 24599
Joined: March 14, 2008, 6:55 pm
Favourite Player: Luke Turner

Re: The Religion Thread

Post by Manbush » May 9, 2018, 9:11 pm

dubby wrote:
May 9, 2018, 7:44 pm
There are parts of the bible you cannot take literally. Some parts are poetry, others hyperbole.

Look, let me give you an example of where you went wrong:
Dubs the more we learn the less of it Christians take literally, at what point do we simply say none of it should be taken literally?

Who decides what to take literally, is it only stuff we’ve proven is wrong, the stuff that doesn’t fit in with our morality, Christians will also disagree on what parts to take literally.
"My own opinion is enough for me and I claim the right to have it defended against any consensus, any majority, anywhere, any place, any time, and anyone who disagrees with this can pick a number, get in line and kiss my ass" Christopher Hitchens

User avatar
The Rickman
Mal Meninga
Posts: 43041
Joined: June 25, 2012, 9:53 am
Favourite Player: Hodgo
Location: Rockhampton, Central Queensland

Re: The Religion Thread

Post by The Rickman » May 9, 2018, 9:17 pm

reptar wrote:Nickman, where did you learn big words like cognitive dissonance from?
Straight out of GE’s playbook, isn’t it?
Image
2012 Golden Boogs Newbie of the Year
2013 'Nella Awards Best Punter
2013 Boogs Thread of the Year ~ The Betting Thread
2014 Boogs Matthew Elliott Award Winner
2014 Boogs some award with Hanbush

User avatar
Manbush
Mal Meninga
Posts: 24599
Joined: March 14, 2008, 6:55 pm
Favourite Player: Luke Turner

Re: The Religion Thread

Post by Manbush » May 9, 2018, 9:19 pm

greeneyed wrote:
May 9, 2018, 9:04 pm
Simply because the bible was written during times of horrible prejudice, thousands of years ago?


Sent from my iPad using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
That’s what it comes down to for me, the Bible was written by men to fit the knowledge and morality of the time hence a lot of the abhorrent morality we know is no longer acceptable like killing certain people, the homophobia, misogyny and endorsing slavery.

Morality thankfully evolves with society and while religions are generally slow to catch up they do generally get there, it won’t be long till the homosexuality is another bit that will be ignored as it already is by a lot of Christians.
"My own opinion is enough for me and I claim the right to have it defended against any consensus, any majority, anywhere, any place, any time, and anyone who disagrees with this can pick a number, get in line and kiss my ass" Christopher Hitchens

User avatar
reptar
Laurie Daley
Posts: 14270
Joined: January 25, 2005, 9:24 pm
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson
Location: Brisbane

Re: The Religion Thread

Post by reptar » May 9, 2018, 9:21 pm

The Nickman wrote:
reptar wrote:Nickman, where did you learn big words like cognitive dissonance from?
Straight out of GE’s playbook, isn’t it?
Yes, it's the kind of stuff he'd whip out after a few red wines and a couple of cheese platters.
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.

User avatar
The Rickman
Mal Meninga
Posts: 43041
Joined: June 25, 2012, 9:53 am
Favourite Player: Hodgo
Location: Rockhampton, Central Queensland

Re: The Religion Thread

Post by The Rickman » May 9, 2018, 9:35 pm

Manbush wrote:
greeneyed wrote:
May 9, 2018, 9:04 pm
Simply because the bible was written during times of horrible prejudice, thousands of years ago?


Sent from my iPad using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
That’s what it comes down to for me, the Bible was written by men to fit the knowledge and morality of the time hence a lot of the abhorrent morality we know is no longer acceptable like killing certain people, the homophobia, misogyny and endorsing slavery.

Morality thankfully evolves with society and while religions are generally slow to catch up they do generally get there, it won’t be long till the homosexuality is another bit that will be ignored as it already is by a lot of Christians.
And that’s just it, isn’t it? In twenty years time they’ll be saying “oh you don’t take the homosexuality stuff literally” like they do now about the deeply misogynistic stuff or about cutting off hands or stoning people to death, and the views of people like Israel Folau and dubby will be consigned to the dark ages of history where they belong
Image
2012 Golden Boogs Newbie of the Year
2013 'Nella Awards Best Punter
2013 Boogs Thread of the Year ~ The Betting Thread
2014 Boogs Matthew Elliott Award Winner
2014 Boogs some award with Hanbush

User avatar
Sossman
David Furner
Posts: 3620
Joined: August 28, 2006, 4:49 pm
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker
Location: Brisbane, Australia

Re: The Religion Thread

Post by Sossman » May 9, 2018, 9:50 pm

Poor Dubbs.Image

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

4 Time Boogs Award Winner.

User avatar
Schifty
Laurie Daley
Posts: 16308
Joined: March 14, 2010, 4:00 pm
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Re: The Religion Thread

Post by Schifty » May 9, 2018, 10:06 pm


User avatar
Manbush
Mal Meninga
Posts: 24599
Joined: March 14, 2008, 6:55 pm
Favourite Player: Luke Turner

Re: The Religion Thread

Post by Manbush » May 9, 2018, 10:55 pm

What’s worse, having beliefs ridiculed or being punished for not sharing them? Essentially that is what Christians believe will happen, whether a literal hell, a separation from god or ceasing to exist, if you believe in god you’ll be rewarded no matter your actions and if you don’t too bad you’ll be punished. Being punished for a lack of belief is so much worse than mere words.
"My own opinion is enough for me and I claim the right to have it defended against any consensus, any majority, anywhere, any place, any time, and anyone who disagrees with this can pick a number, get in line and kiss my ass" Christopher Hitchens

User avatar
gangrenous
Ricky Stuart
Posts: 9594
Joined: May 12, 2007, 10:42 pm

Re: The Religion Thread

Post by gangrenous » May 10, 2018, 7:06 am

greeneyed wrote:
dubby wrote:There are parts of the bible you cannot take literally. Some parts are poetry, others hyperbole.

Look, let me give you an example of where you went wrong:

This is very honest question dubby... if you can ignore certain parts of the bible, because they are horrible and unacceptable in the 21st century... isn’t it the same in relation to gay people? You aren’t campaigning against adulterers or people who eat crayfish or whatever you’re not supposed to eat. Shouldn’t you also reject the horrible parts of the bible, the frankly silly parts of the bible, that relate to gay people? Simply because the bible was written during times of horrible prejudice, thousands of years ago?
I think this argument extends to rejecting religion altogether.

If the Bible is the word of God and it has blatantly horrible pieces of morality, then how can it be real? There’s no need for God to subscribe to the morality of the times in teaching us his ways.

You can’t just say it’s written by men and they make errors. If God has little power over his own advertising material he’s not a very powerful God.

That combined with no new releases in 2000 years.

Plus God having no better ways of revealing himself and having a true relationship with people than an old book?

That’s at the essence of why Christian religion is unfathomable to me.


User avatar
dubby
Don Furner
Posts: 30397
Joined: May 16, 2006, 12:14 pm
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga
Location: Western Sydney

Re: The Religion Thread

Post by dubby » May 10, 2018, 7:29 am

greeneyed wrote:
dubby wrote:There are parts of the bible you cannot take literally. Some parts are poetry, others hyperbole.

Look, let me give you an example of where you went wrong:

This is very honest question dubby... if you can ignore certain parts of the bible, because they are horrible and unacceptable in the 21st century... isn’t it the same in relation to gay people? You aren’t campaigning against adulterers or people who eat crayfish or whatever you’re not supposed to eat. Shouldn’t you also reject the horrible parts of the bible, the frankly silly parts of the bible, that relate to gay people? Simply because the bible was written during times of horrible prejudice, thousands of years ago?


Sent from my iPad using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
I answered that question.

You don't "pick" parts Steve. You simply learn, apply and understand.

The whole shellfish thing is about not having a diet solely on crustaceans. Why? As it turns out they're high in mercury and will kill you.

I provided a scripture before about people in danger of hell. It's not solely gays.

All of this is intended to prevent people from going to hell. If one chooses to be an adulterer etc why allow that person eternal paradise?

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Image

User avatar
dubby
Don Furner
Posts: 30397
Joined: May 16, 2006, 12:14 pm
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga
Location: Western Sydney

Re: The Religion Thread

Post by dubby » May 10, 2018, 7:29 am

greeneyed wrote:
dubby wrote:There are parts of the bible you cannot take literally. Some parts are poetry, others hyperbole.

Look, let me give you an example of where you went wrong:

This is very honest question dubby... if you can ignore certain parts of the bible, because they are horrible and unacceptable in the 21st century... isn’t it the same in relation to gay people? You aren’t campaigning against adulterers or people who eat crayfish or whatever you’re not supposed to eat. Shouldn’t you also reject the horrible parts of the bible, the frankly silly parts of the bible, that relate to gay people? Simply because the bible was written during times of horrible prejudice, thousands of years ago?


Sent from my iPad using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
I answered that question.

You don't "pick" parts Steve. You simply learn, apply and understand.

The whole shellfish thing is about not having a diet solely on crustaceans. Why? As it turns out they're high in mercury and will kill you.

I provided a scripture before about people in danger of hell. It's not solely gays.

All of this is intended to prevent people from going to hell. If one chooses to be an adulterer etc why allow that person eternal paradise?

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Image

User avatar
The Rickman
Mal Meninga
Posts: 43041
Joined: June 25, 2012, 9:53 am
Favourite Player: Hodgo
Location: Rockhampton, Central Queensland

Re: The Religion Thread

Post by The Rickman » May 10, 2018, 10:47 am

dubby wrote:
May 10, 2018, 7:29 am
greeneyed wrote:
dubby wrote:There are parts of the bible you cannot take literally. Some parts are poetry, others hyperbole.

Look, let me give you an example of where you went wrong:

This is very honest question dubby... if you can ignore certain parts of the bible, because they are horrible and unacceptable in the 21st century... isn’t it the same in relation to gay people? You aren’t campaigning against adulterers or people who eat crayfish or whatever you’re not supposed to eat. Shouldn’t you also reject the horrible parts of the bible, the frankly silly parts of the bible, that relate to gay people? Simply because the bible was written during times of horrible prejudice, thousands of years ago?


Sent from my iPad using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
I answered that question.

You don't "pick" parts Steve. You simply learn, apply and understand.

The whole shellfish thing is about not having a diet solely on crustaceans. Why? As it turns out they're high in mercury and will kill you.

I provided a scripture before about people in danger of hell. It's not solely gays.

All of this is intended to prevent people from going to hell. If one chooses to be an adulterer etc why allow that person eternal paradise?

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
So hell is reserved for murderers, adulterers, rapists, and people who were born attracted to the same sex as them and choose to have intercourse with them??

Yeah righto, dubs. Wake up to yourself.

I genuinely find your statements like "it's not solely gays" to be deeply offensive.
Image
2012 Golden Boogs Newbie of the Year
2013 'Nella Awards Best Punter
2013 Boogs Thread of the Year ~ The Betting Thread
2014 Boogs Matthew Elliott Award Winner
2014 Boogs some award with Hanbush

User avatar
The Rickman
Mal Meninga
Posts: 43041
Joined: June 25, 2012, 9:53 am
Favourite Player: Hodgo
Location: Rockhampton, Central Queensland

Re: The Religion Thread

Post by The Rickman » May 10, 2018, 10:52 am

gangrenous wrote:
May 10, 2018, 7:06 am
greeneyed wrote:
dubby wrote:There are parts of the bible you cannot take literally. Some parts are poetry, others hyperbole.

Look, let me give you an example of where you went wrong:
This is very honest question dubby... if you can ignore certain parts of the bible, because they are horrible and unacceptable in the 21st century... isn’t it the same in relation to gay people? You aren’t campaigning against adulterers or people who eat crayfish or whatever you’re not supposed to eat. Shouldn’t you also reject the horrible parts of the bible, the frankly silly parts of the bible, that relate to gay people? Simply because the bible was written during times of horrible prejudice, thousands of years ago?
I think this argument extends to rejecting religion altogether.

If the Bible is the word of God and it has blatantly horrible pieces of morality, then how can it be real? There’s no need for God to subscribe to the morality of the times in teaching us his ways.

You can’t just say it’s written by men and they make errors. If God has little power over his own advertising material he’s not a very powerful God.

That combined with no new releases in 2000 years.

Plus God having no better ways of revealing himself and having a true relationship with people than an old book?

That’s at the essence of why Christian religion is unfathomable to me.
This is what drew me so heavily towards Buddhism in the first place. Although it's probably more of a philosophy than a religion, Buddhism attempts to understand the universe and one of the important facets is to not believe anything unless you can prove it for yourself. And once something has been disproven by science, then stop believing in it.

The Abrahamic religions, on the other hand, believe in a bunch of crazy **** in 2000 year old books which were relevent back when you could cut off people's hands, stone people to death, own slaves and rape women... yet still try to pick and choose the bits of said book that are still relevant today.

I say none of it's relevant. If you have a mate who never pays you back money, you stop lending it to him. If someone keeps telling you lies about everything you stop believing them. The same should apply to 2000 year old books that tell you women should be stoned to death if they have intercourse outside of marriage.
Image
2012 Golden Boogs Newbie of the Year
2013 'Nella Awards Best Punter
2013 Boogs Thread of the Year ~ The Betting Thread
2014 Boogs Matthew Elliott Award Winner
2014 Boogs some award with Hanbush

User avatar
dubby
Don Furner
Posts: 30397
Joined: May 16, 2006, 12:14 pm
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga
Location: Western Sydney

Re: The Religion Thread

Post by dubby » May 10, 2018, 11:07 am

But Jesus went to the Mount of Olives.

2 Now early[a] in the morning He came again into the temple, and all the people came to Him; and He sat down and taught them. 3 Then the scribes and Pharisees brought to Him a woman caught in adultery. And when they had set her in the midst, 4 they said to Him, “Teacher, this woman was caught in adultery, in the very act. 5 Now Moses, in the law, commanded[c] us that such should be stoned.[d] But what do You say?”[e] 6 This they said, testing Him, that they might have something of which to accuse Him. But Jesus stooped down and wrote on the ground with His finger, as though He did not hear.[f]

7 So when they continued asking Him, He raised Himself up[g] and said to them, “He who is without sin among you, let him throw a stone at her first.” 8 And again He stooped down and wrote on the ground. 9 Then those who heard it, being convicted by their conscience,[h] went out one by one, beginning with the oldest even to the last. And Jesus was left alone, and the woman standing in the midst. 10 When Jesus had raised Himself up and saw no one but the woman, He said to her, “Woman, where are those accusers of yours?[j] Has no one condemned you?”

11 She said, “No one, Lord.”

And Jesus said to her, “Neither do I condemn you; go and sin no more.”

Nick, you've got no idea what you're talking about. Twice now I'm shown you how loose and poor your attempted use of scripture is. Just stop.
Image

Post Reply