The Religion Thread

Discuss all the events of the day

Moderator: GH Moderators

Manbush
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Luke Turner

Re: Folau in the Canberra Raiders' sights?

Post by Manbush »

Finchy wrote: April 16, 2018, 1:43 pm
The Nickman wrote: April 16, 2018, 1:35 pm Well the main reason you've come in here in the first place was to seemingly argue the term "homophobic", which by every definition, Israel Folau's views are homophobic. Google the term, I think you'll find you have it wrong.
I disagree. Obviously no-one's opinions are going to change here, so to continue the debate is pointless.

I just don't agree that believing certain people will go to hell means you have a phobia of them.

You think I will go to hell (for supposedly being "hateful"), yet you don't have an irrational aversion to me (I don't think)?

So how is that any different?
Look up the dictionary mate, homophobia means something more than just a regular phobia it also includes discrimination, think of it as being like sexism and racism.
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Finchy wrote: April 16, 2018, 1:43 pm
The Nickman wrote: April 16, 2018, 1:35 pm Well the main reason you've come in here in the first place was to seemingly argue the term "homophobic", which by every definition, Israel Folau's views are homophobic. Google the term, I think you'll find you have it wrong.
I disagree. Obviously no-one's opinions are going to change here, so to continue the debate is pointless.

I just don't agree that believing certain people will go to hell means you have a phobia of them.

You think I will go to hell (for supposedly being "hateful"), yet you don't have an irrational aversion to me (I don't think)?

So how is that any different?
It appears to me you don't understand what a homophobe is, that's the root cause of this discussion. Homophobia (and google it, you'll see) is "dislike of or prejudice against homosexual people". It's not fear of them or aversion to them, which seems to be your definition, it's dislike or prejudice against them.

And the opinion that someone is going to hell just because they're homosexual is indeed a prejudice against them. No sane person could argue any differently.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Finchy wrote: April 16, 2018, 12:56 pm That's my point. Does Folau hate homosexuals? Am I spreading hate? You seem to think I'm a hate filled person, yet I hate no-one.

My issue here is the ad hominem arguments. People can criticise Folau or anyone else all they want, but attack what he says, not him personally with inaccurate name-calling.

It's like when people call Milo Yiannopoulos a "nazi homophobic racist", yet he's Jewish, gay, and married to a black man. Criticise the ideology, don't just throw stupid inaccurate labels out there. It's juvenile.
Is Israel Folau homophobic? I.e does he have or show a dislike of or prejudice against homosexual people?
Id say telling a large group of people from which he knows no one from, that they'll burn in hell is showing considerable dislike and prejudice against those people. Those people being homosexuals. So he's ticking EVERY box by definition.

Is Israel Folau a bigot? I.e is he a person who is intolerant towards those holding different opinions?
Id say telling a homosexuals they are going to all burn in hell, is showing considerable intolerance towards those holding a different opinion.

The inference in what Folau said, is that homosexuals have something so wrong or have engaged in acts so wrong that they need to be punished for it. That's the problem. There is no skirting around it. Whether cloaked in religious beliefs or not, his views and his speech is both homophobic and bigoted. You can argue all you like that im bigoted against religion, and maybe i am, but that doesn't change the facts of this matter as it relates to Israel Folau.

Folau maybe just stating his beliefs based on his religious views, but that religion has a homophobic and bigoted view on this matter, his repetition and endorsement of the christian ethos in this regard is therefor, by definition, both homophobic and bigoted. There is no arguing against that. It's simply fact by definition of what is being said.

Milo Yiannopoulos has routinely spouted Homophobic, Racist and White Supremacist speech. Again, that's a fact. That he's married a black man doesn't suddenly make his speech any less abhorrent. It might actually make it worse, because clearly he's saying these things for reasons that are not entirely honest. Is he homophobic and racist actually? Probably not given his lifestyle, but the fact he's willing to say hateful things, which he very well knows has an impact on youth, and that contradict his life for money makes him truly one of the most despicable pieces of **** in recent memory.

In fact the man is so abhorrent that not even the alt-right would have him, apparently they draw the line at paedophilia, which Milo, at best inferred was OK, and at worst outright condoned it. So y'know, not a strong example to use in defense of Israel Folau, unless your end game is to argue Israel Folau might be a giant ****, but at least he's not Milo? Is that what you were going for? When you're shunned by the alt-right community for being a garbage human, you know things have gotten bad.

And FWIW - i am unreservedly intolerant to people who hold different opinions, about football for instance but most PARTICULARLY when the different opinion is discriminatory or prejudicial. Everyone has the right to an opinion, im not denying that right, but there is nothing i've seen that mandates me to respect or accept that opinion when it is so openly discriminatory.

I have been outspoken on this site in defending peoples rights to believe in any religion, i have rallied against people like Manbush who attack religious posters for things that have nothing to do with them individually or their beliefs. Everyone has a right to believe in whatever the hell they like, personally i believe when my time comes that my soul will be loaded into a cannon and shot out of the city boarders, a fate a certain HC should face in the coming weeks/months. And just because you're christian doesnt mean you're culpable for the crimes the priests have committed against children, nor is it a church going Christians responsibility to answer for those crimes.

But you dont have the right to publicly disparage and discriminate against homosexuals without fear of backlash, and if you DO speak publicly, you don't get to cloak yourself in free speech/religious freedom to avoid being called on the carpet for expressing such views. Folau made this bed and now he's going to have to lie in it.

You say you arent defending Folau, but that's all you've done this entire thread. You can rally against the "flippant and erroneous use of the terms "bigot" and "homophobe"" but as shown above, in this instance they are neither flippant, nor erroneous. They are serious and accurate labels as it relates to Israel Folau.
Last edited by Botman on April 16, 2018, 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

To quote another definition of homophobia: "Homophobia encompasses a range of negative attitudes and feelings toward homosexuality or people who are identified or perceived as being lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender (LGBT). It can be expressed as antipathy, contempt, prejudice, aversion, or hatred, may be based on irrational fear, and is sometimes related to religious beliefs."

That's pretty much exactly what we're discussing here. It's not being expressed as fear of aversion, but as contempt, prejudice, and probably hatred too, when you consider he's condemning them to a lifetime in hell.
Finchy
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

The Nickman wrote: April 16, 2018, 1:45 pm
Finchy wrote: April 16, 2018, 1:38 pm I think something is irrational when there is no logical basis for that belief. If someone has a fear of birds, and freaks out when they see a budgie in a cage, it's irrational. There's no logical reason for being scared of it. It's not a Cassowary trying to rip your guts out or a magpie about to peck out your eye.

Folau would justify his beliefs about homosexuals based on what the bible says. If you think that's irrational in itself, that's fine. But I don't think that is homophobia.
Those beliefs are absolutely homophobic, it's the very definition of homophobia! He's entitled to his opinion, but his opinions are homophobic, and that makes him a homophobe.

It seriously doesn't get anymore black and white than that.
Does he have an irrational fear or aversion to homosexuals any more than atheists, if he believes both are going to hell? (yes this is speculation Schifty)

If he does not have an irrational fear or aversion to EVERYONE who is supposedly going to hell (for whatever reason), he does not have a phobia of them.
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

1. There are two definitions of the term 'natural law'. This seems to be tripping people up.

2. We can all parse the latin in 'homophobia', and all understand what it originally may have meant. We also all understand how it is commonly used. Seems a pointless conversation to me.

EDIT: Actually, surely 'homophobia' could be equally taken to mean suffering from the repeated fear of the same thing.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Schifty
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by Schifty »

His comments are dangerous as they validate some horrible people's views and in some cases actions..

Even though Marriage Equality was overwhelmingly voted for in Australia this country still has problems with homophobia.

It was embarrassingly recent as to when historic convictions for being homosexual were finally quashed and remove from people's criminal records in some states.

There's actually still someone in the Senate that was actually AGAINST these being removed from people's records.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

You don't need to have an "irrational fear or aversion" to homosexuals to be homophobic Finchy, that's just several of the symptoms homophobes MAY display. Seriously, look it up. You have the definition all wrong, and the fact you're STILL trying to argue it is starting to get embarrassing.
Last edited by The Nickman on April 16, 2018, 1:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Schifty wrote: April 16, 2018, 1:53 pm His comments are dangerous as they validate some horrible people's views and in some cases actions..

Even though Marriage Equality was overwhelmingly voted for in Australia this country still has problems with homophobia.

It was embarrassingly recent as to when historic convictions for being homosexual were finally quashed and remove from people's criminal records in some states.

There's actually still someone in the Senate that was actually AGAINST these being removed from people's records.
Thankfully those horrible people are all going to burn in hell for eternity, in my opinion.
Finchy
Ruben Wiki

Post by Finchy »

Pigman wrote: April 16, 2018, 1:48 pm
Finchy wrote: April 16, 2018, 12:56 pm That's my point. Does Folau hate homosexuals? Am I spreading hate? You seem to think I'm a hate filled person, yet I hate no-one.

My issue here is the ad hominem arguments. People can criticise Folau or anyone else all they want, but attack what he says, not him personally with inaccurate name-calling.

It's like when people call Milo Yiannopoulos a "nazi homophobic racist", yet he's Jewish, gay, and married to a black man. Criticise the ideology, don't just throw stupid inaccurate labels out there. It's juvenile.
Is Israel Folau homophobic? I.e does he have or show a dislike of or prejudice against homosexual people?
Id say telling a large group of people from which he knows no one from, that they'll burn in hell is showing considerable dislike and prejudice against those people. Those people being homosexuals. So he's ticking EVERY box by definition.

Is Israel Folau a bigot? I.e is he a person who is intolerant towards those holding different opinions?
Id say telling a homosexuals they are going to all burn in hell, is showing considerable intolerance towards those holding a different opinion.

The inference in what Folau said, is that homosexuals have something so wrong or have engaged in acts so wrong that they need to be punished for it. That's the problem. There is no skirting around it. Whether cloaked in religious beliefs or not, his views and his speech is both homophobic and bigoted. You can argue all you like that im bigoted against religion, and maybe i am, but that doesn't change the facts of this matter as it relates to Israel Folau.

Folau maybe just stating his beliefs based on his religious views, but that religion has a homophobic and bigoted view on this matter, his repetition and endorsement of the christian ethos in this regard is therefor, by definition, both homophobic and bigoted. There is no arguing against that. It's simply fact by definition of what is being said.

Milo Yiannopoulos has routinely spouted Homophobic, Racist and White Supremacist speech. Again, that's a fact. That he's married a black man doesn't suddenly make his speech any less abhorrent. In fact the man is so abhorrent that not even the alt-right would have him, apparently they draw the line at paedophilia, which Milo, at best inferred was OK, and at worst outright condoned it. So y'know, not a strong example to use in defense of Israel Folau, unless your end game is to argue Israel Folau might be a giant piece of ****, but at least he's not Milo? Is that what you were going for?

And FWIW - i am unreservedly intolerant to people who hold different opinions, about football for instance but most PARTICULARLY when the different opinion is discriminatory or prejudicial. Everyone has the right to an opinion, im not denying that right, but there is nothing i've seen that mandates me to respect or accept that opinion when it is so openly discriminatory.

I have been outspoken on this site in defending peoples rights to believe in any religion, i have rallied against people like Manbush who attack religious posters for things that have nothing to do with them individually or their beliefs. Everyone has a right to believe in whatever the hell they like, personally i believe when my time comes that my soul will be loaded into a cannon and shot out of the city boarders, a fate a certain HC should face in the coming weeks/months. And just because you're christian doesnt mean you're culpable for the crimes the priests have committed against children, nor is it a church going Christians responsibility to answer for those crimes.

But you dont have the right to publicly disparage and discriminate against homosexuals without fear of backlash, and if you DO speak publicly, you don't get to cloak yourself in free speech/religious freedom to avoid being called on the carpet for expressing such views. Folau made this bed and now he's going to have to lie in it.

You say you arent defending Folau, but that's all you've done this entire thread. You can rally against the "flippant and erroneous use of the terms "bigot" and "homophobe"" but as shown above, in this instance they are neither flippant, nor erroneous. They are serious and accurate labels as it relates to Israel Folau.
This is the Pigman I'm used to. I don't agree with everything you've said, but I respect your opinion and understand where you'r coming from.

I don't believe I've defended Folau this entire thread, or what he said. I still don't believe the "bigot" and "homophobe" labels are accurate, as I believe both labels require a little more "hate-filled actions" against those people rather than a religious belief about where they go after they die.

However, I'm happy to agree to disagree with everyone on what a bigot or homophobe is.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

You can "agree to disagree" on the definition of a word all you like, but you'll be wrong.

Seriously, take five seconds to Google it. You're wrong on this.
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Schifty wrote: April 16, 2018, 1:53 pm His comments are dangerous as they validate some horrible people's views and in some cases actions..

I think the gay panic defense has also only recently been removed from law, you could use it as a defense for murder for someone purely for chatting you up.

Some Victorian Liberals also seem to be supporting conversion therapy which is child abuse.

We as a nation have made some progress but there’s still a lot to do.
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
Finchy
Ruben Wiki

Post by Finchy »

The Nickman wrote: April 16, 2018, 1:49 pm To quote another definition of homophobia: "Homophobia encompasses a range of negative attitudes and feelings toward homosexuality or people who are identified or perceived as being lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender (LGBT). It can be expressed as antipathy, contempt, prejudice, aversion, or hatred, may be based on irrational fear, and is sometimes related to religious beliefs."

That's pretty much exactly what we're discussing here. It's not being expressed as fear of aversion, but as contempt, prejudice, and probably hatred too, when you consider he's condemning them to a lifetime in hell.
A few other people posted the definition of irrational fear or aversion. If there are other definitions (such as this one) which encompass religious belief, then maybe it is homophobic by (that) definition?
Schifty
Laurie Daley

Post by Schifty »

Finchy wrote: April 16, 2018, 1:50 pm
Finchy wrote: April 16, 2018, 1:38 pm I think something is irrational when there is no logical basis for that belief. If someone has a fear of birds, and freaks out when they see a budgie in a cage, it's irrational. There's no logical reason for being scared of it. It's not a Cassowary trying to rip your guts out or a magpie about to peck out your eye.

Folau would justify his beliefs about homosexuals based on what the bible says. If you think that's irrational in itself, that's fine. But I don't think that is homophobia.
Those beliefs are absolutely homophobic, it's the very definition of homophobia! He's entitled to his opinion, but his opinions are homophobic, and that makes him a homophobe.

Does he have an irrational fear or aversion to homosexuals any more than atheists, if he believes both are going to hell? (yes this is speculation Schifty)

If he does not have an irrational fear or aversion to EVERYONE who is supposedly going to hell (for whatever reason), he does not have a phobia of them.
Has Australia had a recent history where Atheists have been bashed and murdered purely for being atheists?

Have Athiests had to endure a national hate campaign where the Nation got to "have their say" on whether they should be allowed a basic human right?
sprintman
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by sprintman »

dubby wrote: April 16, 2018, 1:09 pm
sprintman wrote:dubby have you always been a **** or it came to you later in life?o
Harsh.

You think?

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Finchy
Ruben Wiki

Post by Finchy »

Schifty wrote: April 16, 2018, 2:03 pm
Finchy wrote: April 16, 2018, 1:50 pm

Has Australia had a recent history where Atheists have been bashed and murdered purely for being atheists?

Have Athiests had to endure a national hate campaign where the Nation got to "have their say" on whether they should be allowed a basic human right?
Has Folau participated in or condoned bashing and murdering homosexuals?
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Schifty wrote: April 16, 2018, 2:03 pm

In my opinion it would still be hateful but as you say in Australia anyway we don’t have the history of animosity towards atheists.

There’s also a difference between belief/non belief and sexuality/gender/race etc.
Sossman
David Furner
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by Sossman »

Sneaky Serb System wrote:

Has Folau publically come out and stated that adulterers should go to hell then doubled down on comments when rightfully called out for them?

It's a big difference.

So actually you can't make a list of 100s of reasons and the fact he has only spoken out against this says a lot.
This is what seals it for me.

He doesn't simply hold an opinion. He seems to relish the backlash it gets and is defiant when challenged on its appropriateness.

Either he's got some righteous martyr complex or loves having a convenient excuse to put the boot into Homosexuals.

4 Time Boogs Award Winner.

Get tested for VIKING CLAP today. https://www.health.act.gov.au/hospitals ... lth-centre.
Sossman
David Furner

Post by Sossman »

Get tested for VIKING CLAP today. https://www.health.act.gov.au/hospitals ... lth-centre.
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Sossman wrote: April 16, 2018, 2:14 pm

Has Folau publically come out and stated that adulterers should go to hell then doubled down on comments when rightfully called out for them?

It's a big difference.

So actually you can't make a list of 100s of reasons and the fact he has only spoken out against this says a lot.

He doesn't simply hold an opinion. He seems to relish the backlash it gets and is defiant when challenged on its appropriateness.

Either he's got some righteous martyr complex or loves having a convenient excuse to put the boot into Homosexuals.
Think the martyr bit nailed it considering his tweet a few days later in response.

“Blessed are they which are persecuted for righteousness’ sake: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven,”

“Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake.”
Sossman
David Furner

Post by Sossman »

Manbush wrote:
Sossman wrote: April 16, 2018, 2:14 pm

It's a big difference.

Think the martyr bit nailed it considering his tweet a few days later in response.

“Blessed are they which are persecuted for righteousness’ sake: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven,”

“Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake.”
ImageImageImage

Dibbers
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player: Brad Clyde

Post by Dibbers »

I don't want us to sign Izzy Folau... John Folau however...
I found a moon rock in my nose....
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Guys,
Please stick to the GH guidelines. No personal attacks.
Thanks
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

There's been no personal attacks! This has been one of the most reserved GH discussions I've ever seen.
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Pigman wrote: April 16, 2018, 1:48 pm

i have rallied against people like Manbush who attack religious posters for things that have nothing to do with them individually or their beliefs.

Mate I’ll object to this, I try to stick to attacking the belief or the organistions rather than individual hence I can have respectful conversations about most things including religion, even in this thread I’ve remained one of the more polite posters.

I believe people deserve respect beliefs do not, I’m confident deep down people like Izzy are actually good people they’ve just been poisoned by an insidious belief system.
Dibbers
Chris O'Sullivan

Post by Dibbers »

I, along with Randy Watson, Believe that children are the future, teach them well and let them lead the way...

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!!!!
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

The Nickman wrote:There's been no personal attacks! This has been one of the most reserved GH discussions I've ever seen.
Dubby did get called a ****
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Can’t believe no ones posted the Westwing clip

Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

How does one differentiate between a personal attack and a statement of fact in this PC world of right wing snowflakes and trickle down cucks.
Lucy
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Tarps

Post by Lucy »

To be honest, the convenient way Izzy has code-hopped for coin, it wouldn't surprise me at all if he jumped on the sausage for a cool million in tax free pineapples..

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Schifty
Laurie Daley

Post by Schifty »

Captain Punish wrote: April 16, 2018, 6:30 pm To be honest, the convenient way Izzy has code-hopped for coin, it wouldn't surprise me at all if he jumped on the sausage for a cool million in tax free pineapples..

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
The fact he switched from QLD to NSW means there is a good chance anything is on the table...
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

gangrenous wrote: April 16, 2018, 5:54 pm
The Nickman wrote:There's been no personal attacks! This has been one of the most reserved GH discussions I've ever seen.
Yeah, but in dubby's defence, he absolutely is one.
sprintman
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by sprintman »

gangrenous wrote: April 16, 2018, 5:54 pm
EDITED.
Please refain from the personal attacks.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I've made my position clear, but there really has been far too much invective and, yes, I'll say it... "hate" on both sides of the "debate". We should all try and be a bit more forgiving of each other.
Dibbers
Chris O'Sullivan

Re: The Politics Thread 2018

Post by Dibbers »

*** nevrr mind