The Religion Thread

Discuss all the events of the day

Moderator: GH Moderators

Albi
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

The Religion Thread

Post by Albi »

Weird god botherers are intellectually deficient, so it's probably best we didn't sign him.

Religion is, and will always be, one of the greatest curses on humanity.
Canberra Raiders Bronze Member

Banner courtesy of the very talented, fistinz.
DJ Raida
David Furner

Re: Mickey keeps the faith

Post by DJ Raida »

good on mickey sticking to his guns.
Gillfish
David Furner
Favourite Player: Canberra No1's since 1986

Post by Gillfish »

Albi wrote:Weird god botherers are intellectually deficient, so it's probably best we didn't sign him.

Your lack of belief in god is no different to someones belief in a god.

You have your right to believe or not believe and should not be judged for it.

To call him intellectually deficient is unfair and if that is what makes him happy then so be it
Michael
Mal Meninga

Post by Michael »

Albi wrote: Religion is, and will always be, one of the greatest curses /the greatest curse on humanity.
Amen, brother.
Albi
David Furner

Post by Albi »

CMG wrote:
Albi wrote:Weird god botherers are intellectually deficient, so it's probably best we didn't sign him.

To call him intellectually deficient is unfair and if that is what makes him happy then so be it
Well not really. To believe in God means that you accept the existance of strange supernatural beings in the absense of ANY evidence. It just beggers belief, and can only exist in a climate ignorance.

Not believing in god is simple - no evidence. Show me even one piece of evidence and I'll look an it. When you can't, I'll stick to my non-belief. Any no, non-belief isn't a belief. :D

TiTTieS_[CNTDN]
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Albert Fulivai

Post by TiTTieS_[CNTDN] »

Gee, let's wait till we get some rigorous debate happening then we can say religion is bad. Also, religion and belief in God aren't tied up together. Religion is a much bigger thing than belief in God. Religion causes problems because it is exclusively based in beliefs and these beliefs often conflict with those of other people.

Religion on its own is not bad, it is simply when conflicts are caused by religion that we can say there is a problem with religion.
Albi
David Furner

Post by Albi »

TiTTieS_[CNTDN] wrote:Gee, let's wait till we get some rigorous debate happening then we can say religion is bad. Also, religion and belief in God aren't tied up together. Religion is a much bigger thing than belief in God. Religion causes problems because it is exclusively based in beliefs and these beliefs often conflict with those of other people.

Religion on its own is not bad, it is simply when conflicts are caused by religion that we can say there is a problem with religion.
That's like saying that the plague on it's own isn't a bad thing - it just gets nasty when it infects someone.

Raider at Heart
Gerry De La Cruz

Post by Raider at Heart »

We can settle this debate by watching this clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_EXqdJ4L7I

This man is God.
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

TiTTieS_[CNTDN] wrote:Gee, let's wait till we get some rigorous debate happening then we can say religion is bad. Also, religion and belief in God aren't tied up together. Religion is a much bigger thing than belief in God. Religion causes problems because it is exclusively based in beliefs and these beliefs often conflict with those of other people.

and would we even be having this conversation without it..would we even be here ????????
This place is woke.
Manbush
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Luke Turner

Post by Manbush »

still not too late to keep Weyman, up his offer :cmon
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
Albi
David Furner

Post by Albi »

Raider at Heart wrote:We can settle this debate by watching this clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_EXqdJ4L7I

This man is God.
The Office is a work of pure genius!! :roflmao

Albi
David Furner

Post by Albi »

manbush wrote:still not too late to keep Weyman, up his offer :cmon
I agree now

nemesis
Brett Mullins

Post by nemesis »

i'm telling ya if we were playing competatively he would already be signed up
raider 4 life
Green_Viking
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: Brad Clyde

Post by Green_Viking »

Easy on the bashing people who go to church, are religious and believe in God. I go to church, am religious and believe in God. Insulting people for their beliefs/non-beliefs is just ignorant. Just because you believe or don't believe in something doesn't make you any better or worse than someone else.

So because this issue tends to provoke rather strong responses in people and it's something that is extremely important in my life I respectfully request that you please do not continue with any derogatory remarks about religion. Thank you.
Raider Crusader
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Stone Cold

Post by Raider Crusader »

Green_Viking wrote:Easy on the bashing people who go to church, are religious and believe in God. I go to church, am religious and believe in God. Insulting people for their beliefs/non-beliefs is just ignorant. Just because you believe or don't believe in something doesn't make you any better or worse than someone else.

So because this issue tends to provoke rather strong responses in people and it's something that is extremely important in my life I respectfully request that you please do not continue with any derogatory remarks about religion. Thank you.
Amen (and that ISNT sarcastic). I too go to church, am religious, and believe in God.
Albi wrote:
CMG wrote:

Well not really. To believe in God means that you accept the existance of strange supernatural beings in the absense of ANY evidence. It just beggers belief, and can only exist in a climate ignorance.

Not believing in god is simple - no evidence. Show me even one piece of evidence and I'll look an it. When you can't, I'll stick to my non-belief. Any no, non-belief isn't a belief. :D
Questions: 1. Where did the universe and everything in it come from? (and no, "The Big Bang" isn't the right answer, because what went "bang" and where did that come from?).

2. Where did life come from? (and no, evolution isn't the answer, as this can only supposedly work if you have life to start with).

3. Why is there no evidence for evolution? Why in this day and age do scientists have no idea how evolution could happen (because natural selection/mutations don't add new genetic information to organisms which is required for evolution to occur).

What really beggars belief and reeks of ignorance is a non-belief in God. Here's what atheists believe.

Billions of years ago, nothing went 'bang'. After billions more years of prehistoric rain falling on the rocky earth, life somehow appeared. Then for a still unknown reason, this ancient single-celled organism was able to make itself better over billions of years turning into billions of different oragnisms. We don't know how this is scientifically possible, but it happened. How do we know it happened? Because we want it to have happened without God. No God means no consequences. I can do what i want.

Somehow, reptiles 'evolved' into birds. They turned cold blood warm somehow. They grew wings and found the genetic information for feathers somehow. They developed a new avian lung and breathing system somehow. They got light-weight bones for flight somehow. They detached their upper mandible from their skull somehow.

Have you ever wondered why there are NO reptiles with beaks? No reptiles with feathers? No reptiles with wings? No reptiles with warm blood? You would think there would at least be an intermediate organism between bird and reptile. Strange that.

But people don't want to hear this or think about this. They don't want to believe in any form of "God", so they cling to a theory which hasnt found any evidence (and yes, there actually isnt any - try me!).

Psalm 14:1 says: 'The fool has said in his heart "There is no God" '

How true

Bible-bashing rant over.
tragic
Brett Mullins

Post by tragic »

Seriously?! I have very strong opinions about religion, but do we really need to get that far off topic in a rugby league forum?

Thats the kind of thing best kept for other areas of your life, not debated online. Just like in real life, its bound to end in some nasty conflict.

Mods/admin?????? (I'm not trying to stiffle discussion, just prefer I didn't have to get religious stuff on the GH).
Raiders member no# 2278.
Green_Viking
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: Brad Clyde

Post by Green_Viking »

I agree tragic, this isn't the right place for a discussion such as this. I don't mind that people don't believe I would just prefer to leave the insults out of it.
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

believing in God doesnt need to entail defying logic and denouncing scientific thesis like evolution. For many people believing in God, or being religious just means living life, or believing in living an ethical life that corrolates the teachings of a particular faith. Disparaging people for being religious, or being ignorant on account of their religion, is ignorant in itself. For the record, i am catholic, but by no means a bible toter.
Up The Milk
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Everybody knows the world was invented in 1982.
Albi
David Furner

Post by Albi »

Raider Crusader wrote:
Green_Viking wrote:Easy on the bashing people who go to church, are religious and believe in God. I go to church, am religious and believe in God. Insulting people for their beliefs/non-beliefs is just ignorant. Just because you believe or don't believe in something doesn't make you any better or worse than someone else.

Amen (and that ISNT sarcastic). I too go to church, am religious, and believe in God.
Albi wrote:
CMG wrote:

Questions: 1. Where did the universe and everything in it come from? (and no, "The Big Bang" isn't the right answer, because what went "bang" and where did that come from?).

2. Where did life come from? (and no, evolution isn't the answer, as this can only supposedly work if you have life to start with).

3. Why is there no evidence for evolution? Why in this day and age do scientists have no idea how evolution could happen (because natural selection/mutations don't add new genetic information to organisms which is required for evolution to occur).

What really beggars belief and reeks of ignorance is a non-belief in God. Here's what atheists believe.

Billions of years ago, nothing went 'bang'. After billions more years of prehistoric rain falling on the rocky earth, life somehow appeared. Then for a still unknown reason, this ancient single-celled organism was able to make itself better over billions of years turning into billions of different oragnisms. We don't know how this is scientifically possible, but it happened. How do we know it happened? Because we want it to have happened without God. No God means no consequences. I can do what i want.

Somehow, reptiles 'evolved' into birds. They turned cold blood warm somehow. They grew wings and found the genetic information for feathers somehow. They developed a new avian lung and breathing system somehow. They got light-weight bones for flight somehow. They detached their upper mandible from their skull somehow.

Have you ever wondered why there are NO reptiles with beaks? No reptiles with feathers? No reptiles with wings? No reptiles with warm blood? You would think there would at least be an intermediate organism between bird and reptile. Strange that.

But people don't want to hear this or think about this. They don't want to believe in any form of "God", so they cling to a theory which hasnt found any evidence (and yes, there actually isnt any - try me!).

Psalm 14:1 says: 'The fool has said in his heart "There is no God" '

How true

Bible-bashing rant over.
Interesting, but I've heard the arguement from incredulty from young-earth creationists (or more recently IDiots) many times. Answers to all of your questions can be found here http://www.talkorigins.org/. I hope you read it, but I doubt that you will - go on, surprise me!!

Anyway, Lets just agree that the Raiders are the closest we have to a devine pressence on earth, and leave it at that. :thumbsup

Albi
David Furner

Post by Albi »

Righto

Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

as MR Thomas Cruise enters the room.
This place is woke.
Raider Crusader
John Ferguson

Albi wrote:
Interesting, but I've heard the arguement from incredulty from young-earth creationists (or more recently IDiots) many times. Answers to all of your questions can be found here http://www.talkorigins.org/. I hope you read it, but I doubt that you will - go on, surprise me!!

Anyway, Lets just agree that the Raiders are the closest we have to a devine pressence on earth, and leave it at that. :thumbsup
Actually, i know that website like the back of my hand - ive never found anything remotely persuavive...unless you can't point out something?

Answers to all of your questions can be found here http://creationontheweb.com/content/view/21/65/ , http://www.gotquestions.org/archive.html. I hope you read it, but I doubt that you will - go on, surprise me!!
Last edited by Raider Crusader on June 7, 2008, 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nick
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by Nick »

In Todd I Trust :cool:

Im not religious, never have been, never will be, but belittling someone else for being religious or belittling their religious is pretty ordinary form imo, its personal choice, some choose to believe in it, others dont... for mine the only god ive ever worship are the gods that have been and gone and are still to come for the Raiders :cool:
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Raider_69 wrote:In Todd I Trust :cool:

Im not religious, never have been, never will be, but belittling someone else for being religious or belittling their religious is pretty ordinary form imo, its personal choice, some choose to believe in it, others dont... for mine the only god ive ever worship are the gods that have been and gone and are still to come for the Raiders :cool:
Now take this bread and eat it.

happy 21st num nuts. :D
This place is woke.
TiTTieS_[CNTDN]
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Albert Fulivai

Post by TiTTieS_[CNTDN] »

Albi wrote:

That's like saying that the plague on it's own isn't a bad thing - it just gets nasty when it infects someone.
Absolutely. It is also much the same as saying that peanuts are bad. For some people, they are deadly while for others they are not. Simply put, a peanut growing out in the country with no one around isn't doing any harm but it may do when it is consumed by a person with an allergy to it.
Albi
David Furner

Post by Albi »

Raider Crusader wrote:
Albi wrote:

Actually, i know that website like the back of my hand - ive never found anything remotely persuavive...unless you can't point out something?

Answers to all of your questions can be found here http://creationontheweb.com/content/view/21/65/ , http://www.gotquestions.org/archive.html. I hope you read it, but I doubt that you will - go on, surprise me!!
Uh oh! A young-earth creationist!! For those who don't know what one of these are, they're a bizarre breed of person who thinks that the earth is about 6000 years old, and that Noah took dinosaurs on the arc :roflmao :roflmao :roflmao

I've been to creation web, and found it fascinating - by fascinating, I mean hilarious.

I suppose it's a bit hypocritical of me to attack your bizarre blind faith, when after all I'm a Raiders supporter. :thumbsup

Now lets focus all of our energy on the mighty green machine now!!!

Raider Crusader
John Ferguson

Albi wrote:
Raider Crusader wrote:
Albi wrote:

Uh oh! A young-earth creationist!! For those who don't know what one of these are, they're a bizarre breed of person who thinks that the earth is about 6000 years old, and that Noah took dinosaurs on the arc :roflmao :roflmao :roflmao

I've been to creation web, and found it fascinating - by fascinating, I mean hilarious.

I suppose it's a bit hypocritical of me to attack your bizarre blind faith, when after all I'm a Raiders supporter. :thumbsup

Now lets focus all of our energy on the mighty green machine now!!!
Believe me, both beliefs are as 'blind' as each other. Neither are actually science, merely interpretations of past events. No-one can prove the earth to be 6,000 years old or 4,000,000,000 years old, because no-one was there at the time.

And don't worry - no matter what people believe, they all become young-earth creationists after they die (oo! controversy!). We shall see...

One belief offers eternal life, they other offers nothing after death. Are u so sure your belief is right that u will bet your life on it? Big call IMO
Albi
David Furner

Mickey keeps the faith

Post by Albi »

Sorry, a couple more things - C'mon mods, give me a break!!

The Dinosaur-Bird relationship has been verified by a complete set of transitional fossils, including Cryptovolans pauli, which is a dinosaur with modern style feathers. http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/archaeo ... l#features

Also, have a look here regarding the dinosaur-mammal transition which is well documented. http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/faq-tra ... l#syn2mamm and http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/comdesc ... diates_ex1

Gillfish
David Furner
Favourite Player: Canberra No1's since 1986

Post by Gillfish »

I think you should quit whilst you are ahead
Raider Crusader
John Ferguson

Albi wrote:Sorry, a couple more things - C'mon mods, give me a break!!

The Dinosaur-Bird relationship has been verified by a complete set of transitional fossils, including Cryptovolans pauli, which is a dinosaur with modern style feathers. http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/archaeo ... l#features

Also, have a look here regarding the dinosaur-mammal transition which is well documented. http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/faq-tra ... l#syn2mamm and http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/comdesc ... diates_ex1
Interesting reading...im surprised i understood any of considering im an "IDiot".

Hardly concrete evidence...quite a lot of 'probably' this and 'probably' that. The fossil record isn't evidence in and of itself. Just because a lizard is buried below a bird doesnt mean they are related. I wonder what a worldwide flood wouldve done 4,000 odd years ago? I think it would bury sea creatures, reptiles, mammals, and birds in that order. What do we find in the fossil record? Just that!

So this doesnt prove evolution, or prove creation - it's two separate interpretations of past events. And just because Archaeopteryx is similar to reptiles and birds doesnt necessarily make it an intermediate. The Platypus looks like a half-duck half-beaver...doesnt mean it's evolving. There are some strange animals in this world
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

I find it mildly amusing that a thread with discussion on global warming gets deleted while a thread which includes offensive remarks about faith and religion is ignored.

Albi, when you say "Religion is, and will always be, one of the greatest curses on humanity.", it is not only inflammatory to a number of people on this forum (including me), it also takes away from any reasonable argument you may have on the topic.
Raider Crusader
John Ferguson

Seiffert82 wrote:I find it mildly amusing that a thread with discussion on global warming gets deleted while a thread which includes offensive remarks about faith and religion is ignored.

Albi, when you say "Religion is, and will always be, one of the greatest curses on humanity.", it is not only inflammatory to a number of people on this forum (including me), it also takes away from any reasonable argument you may have on the topic.
True.

I personally think evolution is, and always will be, one of the greatest curses on humanity.
Evolution ‘enlightens’ people like Hitler that blacks and Jews are the less-evolved inferior ‘race’, and to help the human *'s evolutionary process by selecting more favourable attributes like blonde hair and blues eyes.

Evolution ‘enlightens’ people that there are no absolutes. No definite right or wrong. No ultimate justice or accountability for our actions. No point in living. Is it any wonder that millions of people commit suicide every day? *'s the point of living if we are just random accidents? Is it any wonder the vast majority of school-killers are wearing pro-evolution T-shirts, promoting natural selection?

Finnish high-school killer (and hardcore evolutionist) Pekka-Eric Auvinen said:

“Today the process of natural selection is totally misguided. Modern human race has not only betrayed its ancestors, but the future generations too… *'s time to put natural selection and survival of the fittest back on track! … I am prepared to fight and die for my cause. I, as a natural selector, will eliminate all who I see unfit, disgraces of the human race and failures of natural selection.”

If evolution is true, are people like Hitler and Auvinen really misguided? Why should the human race ‘waste’ money and resources on the diseased and disabled? Aren’t they detrimental to our further evolution?

Ultimately, if both theories lack concrete proof, which one should you choose? The one that promotes no meaning of life, no right and wrong, no justice? Or the one that offers eternal life? Regardless of which theory is correct, which one has the biggest consequences?

(and for the record, i think global warming is a load of bollocks, but im not gunna argue that point because i dont really care about it...i wish the world was warmer anyway)
Manbush
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Luke Turner

Post by Manbush »

All hail Xenu :roflmao
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
Raider Crusader
John Ferguson

manbush wrote:All hail Xenu :roflmao
Dont get me started on Xenu...

religion invented by a sci-fi writer...

please