The Religion Thread

Discuss all the events of the day

Moderator: GH Moderators

Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Re: Folau in the Canberra Raiders' sights?

Post by Green eyed Mick »

Manchild wrote: April 13, 2018, 7:23 pm
Danaman137 wrote:No thanks.

I respect his religious beliefs but to vocalise it and victimise a group of people because of them is not ok in my book.

Some people ask for homosexuality not to be rubbed in their faces, same goes for religious beliefs against someone else’s choices/ sexuality.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wasnt rubbed in their faces until the media put it there. Not many people would have even know until they intervened. I understand that he is a public figure but he was asked a question on his personal Instagram account and he answered it in lines with his beliefs.

I am definately not a homophobe and I am not a religious person but I do hate how the public are allow to ostracise some but not others. If you dont like his views then just simply disagree.

Why are some religions allowed to stand tall and shout their beliefs from a rooftop but others are not?
Which religions are allowed to stand tall and shout their beliefs from a rooftop? and which ones aren't?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

He's on $1.5 million a season in union, supposedly. Why would any rugby league club pay that for a centre or winger? Hopefully not ours. The story is a bit of a beat up.

I certainly find his homophobic views unacceptable as well. This is the 21st century.
Manbush
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Luke Turner

Post by Manbush »

Manchild wrote: April 13, 2018, 7:23 pm Wasnt rubbed in their faces until the media put it there. Not many people would have even know until they intervened. I understand that he is a public figure but he was asked a question on his personal Instagram account and he answered it in lines with his beliefs.

I am definately not a homophobe and I am not a religious person but I do hate how the public are allow to ostracise some but not others. If you dont like his views then just simply disagree.

He should have been intelligent and responsible enough to realize he was being trolled and ignored it.

He breached his contract, has shown no remorse (even trolled others with another verse about being persecuted) and admitted he might do it again.

He has the freedom to express his views but that doesn’t mean freedom from consequences.

As for personal Instagram come on it’s social media no ones is “personal” especially when you’re high profile earning a huge pay packet and representing a sporting code and sponsors.
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Green eyed Mick wrote: April 13, 2018, 7:57 pm

Which religions are allowed to stand tall and shout their beliefs from a rooftop? and which ones aren't?
I’m guessing he’s referring to the one Mundine belongs to despite the fact he also got called out for his views.

If Mundine was representing a code and team rather than himself and sponsors that expect controversy Mundine would’ve been in even more **** than he was.
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

greeneyed wrote: April 13, 2018, 8:45 pm He's on $1.5 million a season in union, supposedly. Why would any rugby league club pay that for a centre or winger? Hopefully not ours. The story is a bit of a beat up.

I certainly find his homophobic views unacceptable as well. This is the 21st century.
Exactly how is he homophobic?
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

If I said aborigines and women were going to hell if they don’t ask for forgiveness and change what they are I’d be racist and sexist, same thing Dubs
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

dubby wrote: April 14, 2018, 8:01 am I think Folau has been out of the game too long, and at 31 his best days are behind him.
Yep - that would be my ONLY concern about him. Would need to be a good price. Big step up in pace moving back to league.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

dubby wrote:
greeneyed wrote: April 13, 2018, 8:45 pm He's on $1.5 million a season in union, supposedly. Why would any rugby league club pay that for a centre or winger? Hopefully not ours. The story is a bit of a beat up.

Exactly how is he homophobic?
Hahaha you’re kidding, right? Please tell me you’re kidding
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past:Daley
Present: Hodgson

Post by Dusty »

Massive risk for the money he’d want I think. Remember he’s been playing out wide in a game that doesn’t play as often as League.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
2020: 1. Nicol-Klokstad 2. Cotric 3. Croker (c) 4 Leilua 5. Scott 6. Wighton 7. G. Williams 8. Papalii 9. Hodgson (c) 10. Sutton 11. J. Bateman 12. Whitehead 13. Tapine ----
14. Simmonson 15. Soliola 16. Guler 17. Horsburgh
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

I agree.

If they want to sign a top class fullback, go after someone like Turbo Tom
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
woppadingo
Brett Mullins

Post by woppadingo »

Wow! If Folau is available of course we should go for it.
But no player is worth 1.5m in the NRL. and we'd be dreaming if we thought it could happen.
Schifty
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by Schifty »

I'd rather pay Todd Carney 1.5 Million to return here than have that **** at my club.
woppadingo
Brett Mullins

Post by woppadingo »

Pffft. Folau is golden. Geez you guys dont want Folau. Wannabe losers.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

woppadingo wrote:Pffft. Folau is golden. Geez you guys dont want Folau. Wannabe losers.
I think the point was the $1.5m.

Sent from my SM-G955F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
woppadingo
Brett Mullins

Post by woppadingo »

T_R wrote: April 14, 2018, 6:11 pm
woppadingo wrote:Pffft. Folau is golden. Geez you guys dont want Folau. Wannabe losers.

Yeh. No way Id pay that much. But id pay $800k.
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Also has to do with his lack of respect for his employer, fans, sponsors, too easily trolled he’s guaranteed to bring controversy.

He’s fails a no **** policy.
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

I would much prefer to have Mansour from the panthers.

Raiders Lim!
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Raiders Lim! »

LastRaider wrote:I would much prefer to have Mansour from the panthers.

We’re pretty flush for wingers. Izzy would be our FB.

I’m pretty against it from a cultural perspective. You can’t go from a no **** policy and launching an inclusive Valkyrie initiative . To making a borderline religious extremist homophobe the centrepiece of your club.

Sleek the Elite
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Jackie Boi

Post by Sleek the Elite »

I'd go hard to try and sign him.

He's got genuine star quality and would boost the profile and credibility of the side.

I'd play him at right centre and move the best centre in the game to the left (b/c he would handle it).

We need to keep a couple of these other guys who are being mooted as going elsewhere.

I'd be trying hard to keep Paulo. Colossal player.

Of the others, Blake the Snake would be my next priority. He could win us a premiership one day.

Would hate to see Papalii go b/c he's been so good for us over such a long period of time.

I want to keep him as well.
Forum members with gravitas: greeneyed, Seiffert82, dubby.
Sleek the Elite
Brett Mullins

And I'm not sacking Jackie Boi either.

Stand him down for a bit if we have to but sack him? No.
Sossman
David Furner
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by Sossman »

woppadingo wrote:

Yeh. No way Id pay that much. But id pay $800k.
Thats about $650,000 more than he deserves.
4 Time Boogs Award Winner.

Get tested for VIKING CLAP today. https://www.health.act.gov.au/hospitals ... lth-centre.
Sleek the Elite
Brett Mullins

woppadingo wrote: April 14, 2018, 6:06 pm Pffft. Folau is golden. Geez you guys dont want Folau. Wannabe losers.
Have to agree with this.

Folau would add strike to any backline in the comp.

Would also boost the profile of the side (which in turn would bring in revenue).
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

How’d that short term boost in profit and profile pan out for the Titans signing Hayne?

Absolute clowns some of you blokes...
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

gangrenous wrote:How’d that short term boost in profit and profile pan out for the Titans signing Hayne?

Absolute clowns some of you blokes...
That’s ok, because the eels have Hayne now... oh wait
Finite
David Furner

Post by Finite »

I respect Folau's right to have his own beliefs and what he said isn't anything we didn't already know about how the Bible views homosexual relationships. I completely disagree with it and don't believe there is any evidence to support a god so I'm going to hell just the same apparently. Whether he should consider his position as a public figure when making statements like that is another question. If public figures have the right to come out in support of homosexual relationships then he has the right to say otherwise. He was answering a questions honestly based on what his religion tells him.

That being said I wouldn't pay anyone in the NRL 1.5m let alone someone 29 and switching between codes, regardless of how good he is. If the raiders want a boost of membership they just need to keep winning. Would much rather see us spend 800k on someone like Gutherson.
Last edited by Finite on April 15, 2018, 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Folau in the Canberra Raiders' sights?

Post by The Nickman »

Finite wrote:I respect Folau's right to have his own beliefs and what he said isn't anything we didn't already know about how the Bible views homosexual relationships. I completely disagree with it and don't believe there is any evidence to support a god so I'm going to hell just the same apparently. Whether he should consider his position as a public figure when making statements like that is another question. If public figures have the right to come out in support of homosexual relationships then he has the right to say otherwise. He was answering a questions honestly based on what his religion tells him.

That being said I wouldn't pay anyone in the NRL 1.5m let alone someone 29 and switching between codes, regardless of how good he is.
He’s allowed to have an opinion, just as people are allowed to tear his opinion to **** shreds if it’s discriminatory and down right horrible and he chooses to make it public.

Seriously, anybody who genuinely believes all homosexual people are going to hell is an absolute **** and their so-called god is a pretty horrible being too
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley

Finite wrote: April 15, 2018, 12:41 pm I respect Folau's right to have his own beliefs and what he said isn't anything we didn't already know about how the Bible views homosexual relationships. I completely disagree with it and don't believe there is any evidence to support a god so I'm going to hell just the same apparently. Whether he should consider his position as a public figure when making statements like that is another question. If public figures have the right to come out in support of homosexual relationships then he has the right to say otherwise. He was answering a questions honestly based on what his religion tells him.

That being said I wouldn't pay anyone in the NRL 1.5m let alone someone 29 and switching between codes, regardless of how good he is. If the raiders want a boost of membership they just need to keep winning. Would much rather see us spend 800k on someone like Gutherson.
A bigot is a bigot. he can shout it from the rooftops or he can cloak it in religious nonsense, either way it is still bigotry.

Gutherson I could get behind but only as a direct replacement for Austin.
Finchy
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

Green eyed Mick wrote: April 15, 2018, 1:15 pm
Finite wrote: April 15, 2018, 12:41 pm I respect Folau's right to have his own beliefs and what he said isn't anything we didn't already know about how the Bible views homosexual relationships. I completely disagree with it and don't believe there is any evidence to support a god so I'm going to hell just the same apparently. Whether he should consider his position as a public figure when making statements like that is another question. If public figures have the right to come out in support of homosexual relationships then he has the right to say otherwise. He was answering a questions honestly based on what his religion tells him.

A bigot is a bigot. he can shout it from the rooftops or he can cloak it in religious nonsense, either way it is still bigotry.

Gutherson I could get behind but only as a direct replacement for Austin.
Ah, bigot. What a great word. What does that mean again? Intolerant? If Folau disagreeing with homosexuality makes him a bigot, are you a bigot for disagreeing with his views? If simply having different views or disagreeing with something makes you bigoted, then everyone is a bigot as no-one holds the exact same views on everything.

However, I think "intolerant" should be a little more than disagreeing with something. If he was running around trying to murder homosexuals (which is apparently ok in some Muslim cultures, but we can't offend them), that would be intolerant. Just like someone trying to murder Christians would be intolerant (eg: bigoted).

It seems that all you have to do to be a bigot these days is hold conservative views. Apparently lefties can't be bigots...
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Finchy wrote: April 15, 2018, 3:56 pm Ah, bigot. What a great word. What does that mean again? Intolerant? If Folau disagreeing with homosexuality makes him a bigot, are you a bigot for disagreeing with his views? If simply having different views or disagreeing with something makes you bigoted, then everyone is a bigot as no-one holds the exact same views on everything.

However, I think "intolerant" should be a little more than disagreeing with something. If he was running around trying to murder homosexuals (which is apparently ok in some Muslim cultures, but we can't offend them), that would be intolerant. Just like someone trying to murder Christians would be intolerant (eg: bigoted).

It seems that all you have to do to be a bigot these days is hold conservative views. Apparently lefties can't be bigots...
Personally I think believing a group of people should be tortured forever a bit more than intolerance let alone just “disagreeing” with something, it’s a downright abhorrent belief, no one deserves to be tortured forever let alone for something that harms no one. Swap “homosexuals” with “aborigines”, “women” or “Christians” then tell me what he said is just “disagreeing” with something.

Ps it’s not just Muslims killing homosexuals in some countries Christians are as well.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley

You are confusing bigotry
Finchy
Jason Croker

Post by Finchy »

Manbush wrote: April 15, 2018, 4:08 pm
Finchy wrote: April 15, 2018, 3:56 pm Ah, bigot. What a great word. What does that mean again? Intolerant? If Folau disagreeing with homosexuality makes him a bigot, are you a bigot for disagreeing with his views? If simply having different views or disagreeing with something makes you bigoted, then everyone is a bigot as no-one holds the exact same views on everything.

Personally I think believing a group of people should be tortured forever a bit more than intolerance let alone just “disagreeing” with something, it’s a downright abhorrent belief, no one deserves to be tortured forever let alone for something that harms no one. Swap “homosexuals” with “aborigines”, “women” or “Christians” then tell me what he said is just “disagreeing” with something.

Ps it’s not just Muslims killing homosexuals in some countries Christians are as well.
The question posed to Folau was about homosexuals specifically. I'm pretty sure he believes plenty of other people will be tortured forever, but for other reasons not based on their sexual orientations. So in that case he is bigoted towards everyone who is supposedly destined for hell, not just homosexuals.

But how are Muslims any less bigoted? Do they not believe in some sort of infidel-hell equivalent?

I'm also curious to know which Christian countries are murdering homosexuals, and links please.
Finchy
Jason Croker

Post by Finchy »

Green eyed Mick wrote: April 15, 2018, 4:11 pm You are confusing bigotry
bigot

noun
a person who is intolerant towards those holding different opinions.

I guess we ARE all bigots then...
Last edited by Finchy on April 15, 2018, 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by reptar »

I'll post this each day until the rumor goes away:

**** NO

Someone remind me to post it tomorrow
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Finchy wrote: April 15, 2018, 4:15 pm
The question posed to Folau was about homosexuals specifically. I'm pretty sure he believes plenty of other people will be tortured forever, but for other reasons not based on their sexual orientations. So in that case he is bigoted towards everyone who is supposedly destined for hell, not just homosexuals.

But how are Muslims any less bigoted? Do they not believe in some sort of infidel-hell equivalent?

I'm also curious to know which Christian countries are murdering homosexuals, and links please.
Yes the question posed was about homosexuals, where he believes say I will go to hell for not worshipping (after all that’s the only unforgivable sin) for homosexuals it’s purely because they are gay even if they do worship god. For the record believing anyone should be tortured for eternity would have to be the most disgusting immoral belief I’ve ever heard, even worse than believing someone should be killed.

Mate I’m the last one to play “look at the Muslims” with, yes their views on homosexuality is just as disgusting and I’ll happily call them out for it especially when they are as stupid as Izzy and publically state it.

As for Christians killing gays you might want to look through Africa for a start, **** Uganda’s gay bill which was going to be a death sentence for homosexuals was written up with the help of American Christians.
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

Finchy wrote: April 15, 2018, 4:15 pm
Did anyone say they were? Personally, I think Christians and Catholics get a big pass from society for all sorts of crap that Islam is criticised for.

All three religions think I'm completely worthless except as an object to be owned by my father or husband, so I'm not particularly inclined to defend any of them. Frankly, religion is a major cause of conflict in the world and I happen to think the world would be better off without the imaginary sky fairies.

But the net result is that Folau believes that a certain group of people should be condemned to an eternity of torture and damnation for no other reason than who they love. If he is that fundamentalist then what does he think of women? And for those reasons I don't want him anywhere near our club. Not to mention I think he's an overpriced, overrated hack who's been progressively getting worse, plus he'd probably walk out on us in a year anyway.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)