The Religion Thread

Discuss all the events of the day

Moderator: GH Moderators

Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Re: Folau in the Canberra Raiders' sights?

Post by Botman »

Manbush wrote: April 16, 2018, 3:35 pm
Pigman wrote: April 16, 2018, 1:48 pm

i have rallied against people like Manbush who attack religious posters for things that have nothing to do with them individually or their beliefs.

Mate I’ll object to this, I try to stick to attacking the belief or the organistions rather than individual hence I can have respectful conversations about most things including religion, even in this thread I’ve remained one of the more polite posters.

I believe people deserve respect beliefs do not, I’m confident deep down people like Izzy are actually good people they’ve just been poisoned by an insidious belief system.
Object to it all you like. Im sure John Gotti objected to a bunch of **** in the trial in which he was convicted.
Your posting history is what it is.

So i note your objection and say "Over-ruled, ****"
Manbush
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Luke Turner

Re: The Religion Thread

Post by Manbush »

Yep I’m happy to say I avoid attacking individuals Pig, that’s my posting history and I’m confident even Dubs will acknowledge when we’ve disagreed on religion I’ve always tried to remain civil.

I think the now defunct Folau thread is a great example, if I was going to abuse the religious wouldn’t a thread where everyone else is abusing people be the perfect place yet low and behold I tried to remain civil and on topic.

I think you’re projecting mate, you’re the one with the history of playing the man not the ball.
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
Schifty
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by Schifty »

This is actually the Isreal Folau is a **** thread, surely we have enough Manbush is a **** threads on the gh?
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Manbush wrote:Yep I’m happy to say I avoid attacking individuals Pig, that’s my posting history and I’m confident even Dubs will acknowledge when we’ve disagreed on religion I’ve always tried to remain civil.

I think the now defunct Folau thread is a great example, if I was going to abuse the religious wouldn’t a thread where everyone else is abusing people be the perfect place yet low and behold I tried to remain civil and on topic.

I think you’re projecting mate, you’re the one with the history of playing the man not the ball.
Where was everybody else abusing people? Apart from sprintman calling dubby a ****, everyone else was completely civil!
Schifty
Laurie Daley

Post by Schifty »

Folau has responded.
I think of it this way: you see someone who is about to walk into a hole and have the chance to save him. He might be determined to maintain his course and doesn’t want to hear what you have to say. But if you don’t tell him the truth, as unpopular as it might be, he is going to fall into that hole. What do you do?

Read more at https://www.playersvoice.com.au/israel- ... Vgw6Ykk.99

I think it to use that analogy makes him an even bigger ****
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Schifty wrote:Folau has responded.
I think of it this way: you see someone who is about to walk into a hole and have the chance to save him. He might be determined to maintain his course and doesn’t want to hear what you have to say. But if you don’t tell him the truth, as unpopular as it might be, he is going to fall into that hole. What do you do?

Wowee, what an absolute ****. Hope he enjoys burning in hell
Schifty
Laurie Daley

Post by Schifty »

The Nickman wrote: April 16, 2018, 10:54 pm
Schifty wrote:Folau has responded.

Wowee, what an absolute ****. Hope he enjoys burning in hell
Nah apparently his sweet as according to Izzy you can be the most horrible person in the world but all is sweet if you repent at the end :roll:

What a fascinating take he has on all this.

Thankfully there have been plenty of Christian leaders that have publicly came out and denounced his view.

This guy absolutely nails it.

Albury priest says Israel Folau comments will create LGBT 'refugees'

An Instagram comment made by Australian rugby player Israel Folau could destroy people, according to Archdeacon Peter Macleod-Miller from St Matthew's Anglican Church in Albury.

In a comment on the social media platform on April 4, full-back Folau, who is a devout Christian, said gay men would go to "hell" unless they "repent their sins".

Rugby Australia implemented no disciplinary action, but chief executive Raelene Castle said Folau was a "strong role model" who should express his beliefs respectfully and in line with the organisation's social media policy.

But Albury-based Father Macleod-Miller said the comments should not be excused on the basis of religious freedom.

"It becomes an engine for refugees within our own community … to allow this sort of thing to happen in the name of freedom is grossly irresponsible and so corrupt," he said.

"Love is love, but hatred is hatred. If you put a hat and collar on it, it doesn't make it less insidious and doesn't give it greater credentials."
'Wilfully damaging' LGBT people
Father Macleod-Miller said religion had moved on from the days when people were condemned to the fiery pits of hell.

"[Gay people were sent to hell] in the old days. So were unmarried mothers and people who were divorced — a great range of people. It's nonsense of course. But it's not just nonsense, it's hate speech."

"That sort of speech diminishes someone else, and potentially destroys them, and has no place at all within any discussion about religious freedom."

The rest of article is in link below, it also talks a lot about what a massive problem homophobia still is in sport.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-04-12/a ... tion=sport
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

That’s all the fight for religious freedom seems to be about these days the right to hate and discriminate. With their numbers rapidly decreasing and by current trends soon to be the minority it’s not really the legacy I’d choose to be remembered by.
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
Sossman
David Furner
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by Sossman »

Manbush wrote:That’s all the fight for religious freedom seems to be about these days the right to hate and discriminate. With their numbers rapidly decreasing and by current trends soon to be the minority it’s not really the legacy I’d choose to be remembered by.
Yeah, religious freedom doesn't mean having society shaped and bent to your belief.

At its core, religious freedom is:

- not having your belief outlawed;
- suffering state sanction due to simply holding the belief (i.e. rounding up a group and jailing them);
- having a lower teir set of rights under law wholly due to your belief; and
- not suffering from discrimination.

That's basically it.

However, in decent societies rights come with responsibilities! Like providing others quiet enjoyment of life and society free from your belief unless they seek it out.

4 Time Boogs Award Winner.

Get tested for VIKING CLAP today. https://www.health.act.gov.au/hospitals ... lth-centre.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

What happened to GWE? He riled me up into fight mode and then left me with blue...
Schifty
Laurie Daley

Post by Schifty »

gangrenous wrote: April 17, 2018, 6:19 pm What happened to GWE? He riled me up into fight mode and then left me with blue...

Same!

**** I even highlighted Articles titles in Green.
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Good on him.

Brad Weber

@brad_weber9
Kinda sick of us players staying quiet on some of this stuff. I can't stand that I have to play this game that I love with people, like Folau, who say what he's saying
7:43 PM - Apr 17, 2018

http://www.news.com.au/sport/rugby/supe ... a3adde6507
Sossman
David Furner

Post by Sossman »

Manbush wrote:Good on him.

Brad Weber
@brad_weber9
Kinda sick of us players staying quiet on some of this stuff. I can't stand that I have to play this game that I love with people, like Folau, who say what he's saying

Saw this.

Good point well made. NZ is generally a bit more progressive than us but.

Get tested for VIKING CLAP today. https://www.health.act.gov.au/hospitals ... lth-centre.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Sossman wrote:

Brad Weber
@brad_weber9

Saw this.

Agreed. Australians, while quite low brow, still end sentences with words like “but” and use expressions like “c’mere a minute”
Schifty
Laurie Daley

Post by Schifty »

Good on him for posting that. Just RT so five other people will possibly read it.
Sossman
David Furner

Post by Sossman »

The Nickman wrote:
Sossman wrote:

Brad Weber
@brad_weber9

Saw this.

Agreed. Australians, while quite low brow, still end sentences with words like “but” and use expressions like “c’mere a minute”
Listen ere' youse ****.

Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Looks like the president of Uganda has just discovered natural law “theory”, the mouth is for food! :lol:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... l-facebook
Sossman
David Furner

Post by Sossman »

Manbush wrote:Looks like the president of Uganda has just discovered natural law “theory”, the mouth is for food! Image

So the ***** is a dual use appendage but the mouth isn't?

What is Uganda's view on eating ass? Asking for a friend.

gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Does he need to pick just one thing he’s allowed to do with his hands and stick with it?

What’s wrong with people?
reptar
Laurie Daley

Post by reptar »

gangrenous wrote:Does he need to pick just one thing he’s allowed to do with his hands and stick with it?

What’s wrong with people?
You've met people? Did you think any of them were sane?

My cats are neurotic, lazy and selfish, but that are more sane than most people.
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
Schifty
Laurie Daley

Post by Schifty »

Sossman wrote: April 18, 2018, 8:24 pm
Manbush wrote:Looks like the president of Uganda has just discovered natural law “theory”, the mouth is for food! Image

So the ***** is a dual use appendage but the mouth isn't?

What is Uganda's view on eating ass? Asking for a friend.
You need to tweet this to the President of Uganda.
Schifty
Laurie Daley

Post by Schifty »

Where have the daily reminders been Reptar?? You got slack and now Folau is back to being a complete **** on Social Media.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/rugby-unio ... y28zsr6qiq

Tweeted a video from a nutjob that include this..

Wilkerson's 11-minute sermon is entitled "It's time to get right with God" and it includes a number of references to and images of homosexuality. Wilkerson expresses concern over "tolerance" of matters such as same-sex marriage and calls for repentance.
​Folau met with Rugby Australia last month after replying to an Instagram post, writing that gay people would end up in "HELL" unless they "repented on their sins"
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Israel Folau clearly has no concept of love for his fellow man.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

He's an attention seeking knob.

Sent from my SM-G955F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Sossman
David Furner

Post by Sossman »

WADN.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

greeneyed wrote:Israel Folau clearly has no concept of love for his fellow man.
Not a lot of christians do, to be fair. They don’t even preach love and tolerance of others!
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

T_R wrote: May 8, 2018, 7:56 pm He's an attention seeking knob.

Other way round. The media is attention seeking, and using him as click bait.

It's his own personal Twitter account. He's not hurting anyone. He's sharing his beliefs, whether you agree with them or not is not the point.
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
reptar
Laurie Daley

Post by reptar »

Schifty wrote:Where have the daily reminders been Reptar?? You got slack and now Folau is back to being a complete **** on Social Media.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/rugby-unio ... y28zsr6qiq

Tweeted a video from a nutjob that include this..

Wilkerson's 11-minute sermon is entitled "It's time to get right with God" and it includes a number of references to and images of homosexuality. Wilkerson expresses concern over "tolerance" of matters such as same-sex marriage and calls for repentance.
​Folau met with Rugby Australia last month after replying to an Instagram post, writing that gay people would end up in "HELL" unless they "repented on their sins"
He can say what he wants. I just didn't want him at the Raiders as he'd be a waste of salary cap. And a **** to boot. If we waste salary cap, rather it not go to *****.
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

dubby wrote:
T_R wrote: May 8, 2018, 7:56 pm He's an attention seeking knob.

Other way round. The media is attention seeking, and using him as click bait.

It's his own personal Twitter account. He's not hurting anyone. He's sharing his beliefs, whether you agree with them or not is not the point.
That’s correct. And I think that he and people who share his beliefs are going to hell.

I’m not saying Christian beliefs, but anyone who uses their beliefs to be a complete **** to people just because they’re different, or people who openly preach or defend that garbage, are going to rot in hell alongside Israel Folau.

Just my beliefs, and I’m entitled to them. I’m not hurting anyone
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Folau in the Canberra Raiders' sights?

Post by Botman »

Not even dubby truly believes that a nationally recognised sporting hero, posting and promoting homophobic **** on his feed is just like any regular beer bum spewing hate into the sprawling mess of the internet.

You're being deliberately obtuse, and it's transparent
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Yeah, dubby comes in here and defends Folau’s opinions... “he’s entitled to them”... and then when he cops heat for it and backtracks and says he doesn’t share the same opinion.

It’s pretty obvious to me that he DOES share the same opinion. And where the hell do christians get off anyway with their moral superiority bullshot?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Maybe people can just focus on the issue... not the person? It is a classic example of focusing on the person... not the issue.

Sent from my iPad using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Schifty
Laurie Daley

Post by Schifty »

Folau is entitled to his opinion.

But just like everyone else if you're going to be a hateful **** expect to be called out for being a hateful ****.

Also it's been said before he is in a position of influence so what he says is going to be scrutinised a lot more, it's just like how if a player dished out some homophobic slur to a referee during a match it's going to get a lot more media attention than the random drunken idiot in the crowd doing it at a match.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

T_R wrote:He's an attention seeking knob.

Maybe just focus on the issue, not the person
Schifty
Laurie Daley

Post by Schifty »

greeneyed wrote: May 8, 2018, 8:24 pm Maybe people can just focus on the issue... not the person? It is a classic example of focusing on the person... not the issue.

Sent from my iPad using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
True, but the issue is people in positions where they have more influence using a platform to spread hate.

He is currently the self proclaimed CEO, President and Junior Vice President of this club.