Any hints on Oztag?

The social club of The Greenhouse

Moderator: GH Moderators

T_R
Don Furner

Any hints on Oztag?

Post by T_R »

My nine year old is part of a pretty good rugby side, and the boys have decided to play Oztag over the summer to stay sharp. In the absence of anyone competent, I've been asked to coach the team.

I have a fair idea of the rules from watching a bit online, but can someone give me any insider hints? What makes a good Oztag player in comparison to the 15 a side version? I guess if they just run their usual backline moves then they'll be OK? Maybe run a fullback onto inside balls?

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Re: Any hints on Oztag?

Post by -TW- »

Anyone who can actually tag.. that **** is harder than what it looks without getting a hip to the face

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

It's all about quick play the balls. It's a bit like touch. Get tagged, roll it back and keep the defence on the back foot. Work the angles, back against the grain, short passing over long passing.

Hand eye coordination is important
The tags aren't always easy to grab. And conditioning in defence. Rip the tag get back, come up.

It's cardio/ HE coordination game on defence. And it's sharp passing, footwork and angles on offence
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Thanks gents

So speed speed speed.

I presume line speed in defence is critical then?

And is there a particular method to grabbing the tags?

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

T_R wrote:Thanks gents

So speed speed speed.

I presume line speed in defence is critical then?

And is there a particular method to grabbing the tags?
Aim for the top of the tag, rather than the tip which can flap in the **** breeze.
It's not so much that line speed is critical more than its just you're constantly moving, so the conditioning is a big factor and the hand/eye coordination under fatigue becomes an issue
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Tell them to rip off the tags to "tackle".
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Excellent.

Thank you very much

BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

From my experience my mates who were good cricketers were better defenders than my mates who were good league players. So hand eye a big factor.

But a big late step can put you on a run where you will beat half a dozen tackles.

We played the Rams team with the raiders assistant trainer back in the mid 90s and I remember them in the Summer comp working on compressed defence and a big slide, we kept cutting back straight and their players were poor tagging with their left hand.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Any hints on Oztag?

Post by gangrenous »

Some random thoughts:
* when you're front on as a defender, you want to move into the line they're going to run early. Forces them to slow/stop or run into you and give up the penalty. Then I find it best to go one hand for each tag, which kind of allows you to limit their options for running through even further if you miss the tag.
* know the rules. Can steal a couple of points a game just by knowing the rules. You don't need tags on to defend for example. Like league you can't pick up the kickoff until it's gone 10. You can kick on 0, 4th and 5th tackle. If you have kids who are game aware and have speed, opponents rarely anticipate a kick on the zero tackle and aren't playing a fullback.
* get your kids used to running without fending, it's not easy, especially for kids used to playing tackle.
* spinning at the line can be quite effective in attack.
* if you're close to the line you can dive as long as you ground the ball before your knees hit the ground. It's bloody difficult to stop so some refs don't really allow it in practice.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Where does the word Oztag come from anyway ?

Oz because we are the only country in the world who play ?

tag because that's what the strips hanging from your shorts are called ?
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Yes
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

drop the shoulder rip the tag from semi conscious attacker

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Edrick The Entertainer
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Hack the bone, hack the bone!!
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Advice, tell them to play cricket.
This place is woke.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Question wrote:Advice, tell them to play cricket.
Cash me ousside howbowdah
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Question wrote:Advice, tell them to play cricket.
Damn fine young cricketers, dont you worry about that.

Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Good lads.
This place is woke.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

It's all in the hips. The very best attacking players have this knack of twisting their hips at the line, just as you are about to grab their tag. Pigman nailed it, go for the top of the tag. The bottom is fools gold.