Did you know... and other useless trivia

The social club of The Greenhouse

Moderator: GH Moderators

FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Re: Did you know... and other useless trivia

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Did you know: Thomas Midgley Jr is considered one of the most dangerous men who ever lived.

He was an American Inventor, who's claim to fame were:
In 1921, he discovered adding lead to petrol would reduce engine "knocking".
In 1930, he left The Motor dept of General Motors and started working in their Refrigeration department. It was here where he helped invent Freon, which was used in fridges as an alternative to propane. It made it's way into aerosol bottles as well.

As a result of his discoveries, it's been estimated 5,000 Americans died each year from lead related heart disease from 1920's to the 1970's when leaded fuel was phased out, with an estimated 68 million children receiving dangerous exposure.
Freon is one of the main culprits believed to be responsible for the hole in the Ozone layer.

How did he die? He suffered from polio in his old age, and invented a harness to help himself from his bed to his wheelchair. He got strangled in the harness
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Green Jamey
Dean Lance

Post by Green Jamey »

-PJ- wrote:
gangrenous wrote:
-PJ- wrote:In Hawaii it's illegal to be a passenger in a car with an open container of alcohol.
Pretty sure that's also illegal here...
Research(asked a cop) tells me you are correct.

Why isn't it policed ?
Not sure about passenger, but as a driver it is. Might depend on the state

Sent from my HTC 2PST1 using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Did you know: During WWI, Russian forces toyed with a system where they would attach mines to dogs, then train them to run under enemy tanks, remove the mine via a Parachute-style ripcord system, and run back to base. When they realised teaching them to detach the mine was difficult, they trained them to simply run under tanks and blow themselves up. The Russians trained them by starving the dogs, then placing food under tanks to train the dogs to look under tanks for food.

The project backfired because the Russians trained the dogs to look under their own Diesel fuelled tanks, and not the Gasoline fuelled German tanks. The Dogs ran out to the battlefield, and ran to the familiar smelling Diesel tanks, resulting in the Russians blowing up their own tanks.
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

I'm in the industry, so I found this one interesting

Did you know: Workers Compensation can be traced back to the days of pirates? Some Captains would hand out more booty to those who injured themselves or lost limbs in battle as compensation for that injury

Nickman's love of NSW
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:I'm in the industry, so I found this one interesting

Did you know: Workers Compensation can be traced back to the days of pirates? Some Captains would hand out more booty to those who injured themselves or lost limbs in battle as compensation for that injury
You're a pirate?
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Dr Zaius wrote:
Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:I'm in the industry, so I found this one interesting

You're a pirate?
Aye. Useless trivia, most people think a pirates favourite letter in the alphabet is R, but it's actually the C..

I'll get my coat :arrow:

Nickman's love of NSW
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Did you know - The writers of the movie 'Blue Valentine' are searching for the family or relatives of one of the songs they played through the film to give them their owed royalties.

The story goes one of the film's producers bought a box of tapes at a garage sale. The producer and Ryan Gosling were listening to the tapes, found this song and fell in love with it. They decided it was the song to bring together Ryan Gosling and Michelle Williams' characters.

When they tried to find the performers of the song, they found out it was a teenage trio who were asked to record three demos sometime in the 60's or 70's, but nothing ever eventuated of it.

The producers have set up an account that is collecting the royalties in the hope that someone connected to the family can claim it.

Here's the song if you're interested

Nickman's love of NSW
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Did you know - If you were to spell out numbers, you would you have to go until 1,000 until you would find the letter A

Nickman's love of NSW
Raidersfan
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: George Clooney

Post by Raidersfan »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:Did you know - If you were to spell out numbers, you would you have to go until 1,000 until you would find the letter A
One Hundred and One
I don't post facts
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Raidersfan wrote:
Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:Did you know - If you were to spell out numbers, you would you have to go until 1,000 until you would find the letter A
One Hundred and One

Nickman's love of NSW
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

I'll make up for it with this one

Did you know - In Mexico there is a centuries old language known as Ayapaneco at risk of extinction. There are only two people who speak the language fluently, but they refuse to talk to each other.

Linguistic experts are currently trying to get them to reconcile so they can help create an Ayapaneco dictionary.

Nickman's love of NSW
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

One more for compensation

Did you know - Liberia held the record of the hottest place on Earth for 90 years. It lost the title in 2012, when it was found that the man making the original measurements didn’t know how to use a thermometer.

Death Valley in California is now considered the hottest place on Earth

Nickman's love of NSW
Manbush
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Luke Turner

Post by Manbush »

Raidersfan wrote:
One Hundred and One
:lol:
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

I can't trust a single thing that Fui says ever again
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

As an FYI - The site where I got that fact from just got quizzed on Hundred and One, and he said it's incorrect, because the spelling would be One Hundred-One.

They're American, so the logic is as stupid as you would expect it to be.

Nickman's love of NSW
Raidersfan
Ruben Wiki

Post by Raidersfan »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:As an FYI - The site where I got that fact from just got quizzed on Hundred and One, and he said it's incorrect, because the spelling would be One Hundred-One.

They're American, so the logic is as stupid as you would expect it to be.
Or One Hundred n One
I don't post facts
Archer
David Furner
Favourite Player: Boxhead

Post by Archer »

Did the site specify which direction you had to go, couldn't you just go to negative one?
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Looks like Fui never specified they had to be in order...
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Did you know - In 1845 Sir John Franklin led an expedition of 128 men to the Arctic to discover the Northwest Passage, carrying a sled-load of button polish, handkerchiefs, curtain rods and a writing desk. No-one knows why. 35 rescue parties over several decades were sent out to discover what had happened. Eventually, in the 1980s they discovered that they were eating canned food, but the cans used lead-solder.

It is believed they suffered from mass delusions caused by lead poisoning.

Nickman's love of NSW
Raidersfan
Ruben Wiki

Post by Raidersfan »

Archer wrote:Did the site specify which direction you had to go, couldn't you just go to negative one?
Huh lateral thinker here
I don't post facts
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Did you know: The origin of the Hi Five can be traced back to Baseball in the 70's?

The first high five occurred between Dusty Baker and Glenn Burke of the LA Dodgers. The story goes, Dusty Baker hits his 30th home run, making the Dodgers the first team in history to have four hitters with at least 30 home runs each in a single season.

As Baker completed his home run, Burke was waiting at the plate, thrusting his hand enthusiastically over his head to greet Baker at the plate. Baker, not knowing what to do, smacked it.
Burke then steps up to plate in the same innings, and hits his first home run. As he rounds home, he and Baker repeats the hi five.

Nickman's love of NSW
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Did you know - Biologically speaking, there is no such thing as Fish? After a lifetime of study, Biologist Stephen Gould came to this conclusion. A Tuna is more likely to be more related to an Elephant than a Clownfish

Nickman's love of NSW
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Did you know..

Merry Go Rounds were originally built as a war training apparatus. Soldiers would sit on the horse, and they would ride around in circles trying to hit targets with their swords.

Nickman's love of NSW
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by reptar »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:Did you know..

Merry Go Rounds were originally built as a war training apparatus. Soldiers would sit on the horse, and they would ride around in circles trying to hit targets with their swords.
Military Industrial Complex technology leaking into the public world again. Did the soldiers think their kids would enjoy lashing at targets with swords? Or did kids join the army?
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

DID YOU KNOW: Wristwatches were invented in the 16th Century. It was considered feminine and men stuck with their pocket watches.

It wasn't until the 20th century when soldiers realised it was impractical to rely on pocket watches that they began to strap them to their wrist that men started wearing wristwatches

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Nickman's love of NSW
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

DID YOU KNOW: Elephants find humans cute, the same way humans find puppies cute?

Scientists have discovered that the same parts of the brain that it stimulated when we see puppies get lit up when elephants see humans.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Nickman's love of NSW
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by reptar »

How exactly did they do that? Did they have the elephants consent?
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
Manbush
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Luke Turner

Post by Manbush »

To make a sword out of the blood of your enemies you will need to kill 359 people to get enough iron from their blood to make a long sword.

Would’ve thought a lot more.
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:Did you know: During WWI, Russian forces toyed with a system where they would attach mines to dogs, then train them to run under enemy tanks, remove the mine via a Parachute-style ripcord system, and run back to base. When they realised teaching them to detach the mine was difficult, they trained them to simply run under tanks and blow themselves up. The Russians trained them by starving the dogs, then placing food under tanks to train the dogs to look under tanks for food.

The project backfired because the Russians trained the dogs to look under their own Diesel fuelled tanks, and not the Gasoline fuelled German tanks. The Dogs ran out to the battlefield, and ran to the familiar smelling Diesel tanks, resulting in the Russians blowing up their own tanks.
During WW1, the Russians had no tanks at all.

Basic research or general tank knowledge would avoid falling for crap.

And if you meant WW2, many Russian T34s etc were charcoal-fuelled. And I suspect the Russians had already eaten the dogs.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Lui_Bon wrote:
Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:Did you know: During WWI, Russian forces toyed with a system where they would attach mines to dogs, then train them to run under enemy tanks, remove the mine via a Parachute-style ripcord system, and run back to base. When they realised teaching them to detach the mine was difficult, they trained them to simply run under tanks and blow themselves up. The Russians trained them by starving the dogs, then placing food under tanks to train the dogs to look under tanks for food.

And if you meant WW2, many Russian T34s etc were charcoal-fuelled. And I suspect the Russians had already eaten the dogs.
There was the Lebedenko Tsar Big Wheel tank, for a start.

I agree that it was not deployed.

And I agree that the dogs would have been tasty snacks well before they were trained to blow things up.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Did you know... and other useless trivia

Lui_Bon wrote:

Wow, such passion!

Apologies, it was WW2 this was apparently trialled. And yeah, they just mentioned the use of different fuels. Not sure where I got Diesel vs Gasoline

Source - QI Season 2, ep 3

Nickman's love of NSW
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

Hahahaha no no real passion sorry, and I'm going to have to google this Lebedenko thing, and yes carry on, I'll shut up now.

and good god, it's true!:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tsar_Tank

I can only blame my "Boys Big Book of Tanks"....
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Dogs will face north/south to ****.

True !
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Macca's was originally a milkshake joint that sold burgers

Now it's a burger joint that sells plastic

Sent from my CPH1831 using Tapatalk

-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Someone falls in love on E-Harmony every 14 minutes.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock: